1235»

Comments

• Mike - I'm not sure why I'm replying, as I share Stevie's view that you will just say "yeah yeah" and carry on doing your own thing.

However, I will give it one more go......

The point of training is to create a stimulus for your body to adapt. This works best in small, tiny, steps. Therefore, training at paces based on your current fitness (rather than what you want to be able to do) is best.

If you want to do an interval session at a pace quicker than your current 5k pace, then IMO you should reduce the distance (maybe to 8 * 400). Alternatively, if you're going to run longer than 5k of quality intervals, do them at your 10k pace - I guarantee if you do them for long enough, they will lead to you improving....

Over and out.

YP
  • You read my mind, I'll give it a few weeks at my current intensity of interval training and see how the legs feel, im sure it makes a difference that I'm younger than most runners i've talked to on this forum, and therefore when you guys say I should run slower as such, should remember that I have youth and my legs should recover faster. Diet helps to, the fact that I don't drink alcohol or eat fried food anymore should benefit me, and I ensure I eat/drink proteins asap after every workout and I have supplements(Glucosamine Sulphate) everyday which helps to maintain joint suppleness and flexibility. image

• YP i've done some research on google about intervals, how fast to run them etc, every article says you should run them faster than your current race pace, I've read about runners doing 13x400's, at a slightly faster pace than me but still having no problems and they are benefiting from it more than if they ran it slower. 

I understand what you mean though, your trying to encourage me to not get injured and push too hard too fast, if I do get niggles, I won't push the injury. image 

• Paradoxically, I don't have youth and my legs don't recover . I drink alcohol (lots of it) , eat lots of fried food, don't take any protein or supplements and usually bimble round parkrun in 18.44.

Of course, the course is hilly, wind-swept, over-long and I'm usually nursing a hangover!image
  • Dash - LOL

Mike - to be honest, I don't really give a toss if you get injured. You've shown over the past 128 comments that you're not getting what people are telling you, so I'm outy.....
  • Mike, Google is great isn't it. You can always find the answer that you want to hear.

• Mike age has nothing to do with anything here.

Maybe you recover quicker but if you don't train in the right zones you don't improve the way you should.

You're training too fast. Training too fast= abrupt and short term plateau and increased potential for injury. Simple as that.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Mike...

I would back up what everyone else is saying regarding training. I do one intense fast session a week on the track making up about 5 miles of my weekly mileage (75+) as my training is based around long distance races so everything else is a variety of lower intensity, longer distance and 90% of my training is on trail but can still run a reasonable 5k. If you listen to soem of the guys/girls here you will see progress in a realistic time frame. If you ignore them... well that is what is happening now!

• If you want a blog where you can have a monologue about your own misguided training and not heed a word of advice from others, I can recommend WordPress! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

MIke, I'm not going to slate you for running your reps at quicker than race pace - you're hardly the only one out there doing that, and I have done it plenty myself. 

But the main issue is that you don't seem to have set out to do the session with a clear idea of what you wanted to achieve.  As pointed out, your recoveries are longer than your reps, which would indicate that the session would be more about speed/form than anything else - but if that were the case you might want to reduce the number of reps.

With this kind of track work, you really need to set out knowing what the point of the session is - or have a session set for you by someone who knows what the point of the session is - as opposed to pulling length of reps, length of recoveries and pace out of a hat.  Which is where, as usual, the advice to join a club comes in again.

• Read Daniels Running Formula, I've found that very useful regarding training paces and recoveries.