Absolute beginner!!

2»

Comments

• Innit weird how many of us dont start running till late 30's/early 40's. I wonder why. I was the same and it was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. I take it everyone else harbours the thought that if they'd started when they were in their 20's they'd be winning marathons by now.
  • Well maybe if I stated in my 20s I'd at least be a bit fitter by now - don't know about winning marathons! It's always nice to think you might have. I had other things to do back then which I enjoyed, but some of my activities (drinking too much & clubbing) are now catching up on me!
  • Oh dear, are you supposed to give up drinking too much then?
  • Morag - we all have bad days when our legs are heavy and we wonder how we ever imagined that we could run. Don't be disheartened about it. Sometimes, in cases like that, it's good just to slow down and walk a bit and just enjoy being out. You'll be fine again in no time.
  • Morag

Hope the weather's cleared up for you.

It's little things like running to the shop, walking up a hill that make you realise that you've improved isn't it. For me it was one Sunday when I sang a full verse and realised I hadn't petered out part way through as usual - course the red wine helps :-)
  • This is a girly observation!!!
    Morag--bad days are perfectly normal. Sometimes they have a lot to do with your monthly cycle--I have inutterably lousy week 2s, where it's as much as I can do to plod one foot in front of the other. It's worth keeping a diary and looking back over a few months to see if there's a pattern emerging . . . it sounds so terribly nerdy, but at least you can shrug off those bad days because you know what's causing them.
    Meanwhile keep at it and well done! Hope the weather in Scotland isn't as vile as it is in Wales.
  • Okay Chimp - I haven't given up the drinking too much, I just don't do it quite so often now I have to be up for work in the mornings, rather than being a student!

I went out for a short run/walk last night, but it was too soon after my dinner & I didn't do too well.

H
  • Me again. I'd never thought about that, Mim, but you may well be right.
    Went out this morning, and managed 3 lots of 5 minutes each. The fourth petered about after about three minutes, but I'm not too disheartened.
    How long before running should I eat and drink? Obviously, the bod needs fuel, but when is the best time to take it in?

Mo
  • I aim to wait an hour after food before running, but I can sometimes get away with half an hour if it wasn't a heavy meal.