Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• btw does anyone know how AliM78, Chownsie, Kaz, KO'S, LeedsRob, Neil Belgium, , Stray Runner, Emmy_H and Suzi Martinez get on in the Dam today?

Speak up you guys, tell us how you faired!

• Hello. Congrats everyone on those brilliant Amsterdam times. And that includes you too SR.
  • Also, NGUG I was so sorry to read of your news. Massive hugs.
  • JimBob - expect those dudes to check in well after the festivities at RS's tonight...!
  • I'm back (via a brief stop at Burger King image - dont have those in Belgium)

Well done RS and RR, and good training TD! Commiserations SR image

I had a good race in the HM, conditions were perfect apart from the wind, got a good start, a bit congested for the first few kms, but after that it was clear. 

I had a plan to run at 4.15 per km but found I was comfortably running faster (close to my 10k race pace), was a bit worried that I would die at 10k but it didn't happen. From 17k onwards it was hard to sustain the speed but looking at my splits I actually ran my fastest kms then. So I finished in 1:25:12 (annoyed by the :12!) when I was aiming for 1.29 image 

Its not a PB because I've never finished a HM before, but it's 9 minutes quicker than my 20k PB image

• p.s. Dannirr I'm saving your video to watch tomorrow image

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Nicola Bird 2 & Maus   what are your bib numbers and colour..?   I'll add you to the list.

My no is 28790 i can't remember my other 2 friends no's, 2 of us are violet (sub 3.45) though i think it will be more like 4hrs!! My other friend she put down sub 4hr (can't remember the colour). Thankyou for all the feedback on accommdation, just sorting out flights, what a nightnare each day they are going up, when will they come down?????? Might do eurostar but prices not out yet, what's best fly or train??

• Let me give you some encouragement SR. I've started 3 marathons this year and only finished one of them! I only did 350kms training for the last one and dropped out at half way, but you made it to the end.

My hat off to you! Not easy to find time to train when you've been starting a new job. You'll come back much stronger in the spring, I'm sure of it. Sleep well.

Neil. That's a storming first HM time. You must be delighted with yourself. Nice one.
  • Yeah SR agree with TD. 26.2 is bloody hard whether you run it fast, medium or slow - its a massive effort and you ran the distance and got the medal. give youself big pat on the back. Next time come back and beat it!

And Neil, 1.25 you lightening boy!

• Hi folks, checking in at last!

I have nt had a good day. I'll quickly give you the highlights- mile5 the sweat is pouring off me, mile 6 I am throwing up at the roadside, mile11 I am parked in a spectators chair waiting for the world to stop spinning.... Miles 11-25 more roadside spewing interspersed with some attempts at running....I was going to pull out at various points then decided that I could walk if needed but I wasn't leaving Amsterdam without my medal!!! I gave never had a run as tough as that.

But believe it or not my time 4.04!!!

Now in my hotel room with a different kind of problem....and I will be visiting my doc when I get home on Thursday.....it's going to be a long few days image

Good news of the day..... Naomi got 3.22 for her 1k!! image first race she's done since she broke her foot, and previously to that her 800m PB was 3.16!!!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Neil - Fantastic running.

SR - Sounds like you had a bad day at the office, but massive respect for getting around despite that. Berlin last year was a bit like that for me. I don't think I've suffered that badly during the second hal of a marathon as I did that day or be so far off target. I came back from that to smash my PB in Paris, hopeffuly you can do the same.

I hope the Amsterdam crew are enjoying a well deserved night out.

• Forgot to say, that during my run the dye has run out of my hair and stained my face smurf blue!!!
  • Kaz - i would dearly love to get a 4.04 in paris next year .... i know it's all relative but WELL BLOODY DONE YOU!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Blimey Kaz that sounds bloody awful - are you ok?  What's gping on there?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - I hope you are ok, sounds like a really bad day for you. Great time despite that. We all know all the cool kids are running 4:04's this autumn! image

You really must be due a good race day. Take care of yourself.

• Kaz, well done on a great time!  I can only dream of a 4:04.  Now you need to devote some time to healing, resting and repair .... has the dye come off yet ?  image

• Yer maj- not ok, for once I want a cuddle from Bf. I feel lousy, obviously something wrong! I have had 2 lots of strong anti biotics in last month, and it now seems like I have another kidney infection?? All the same symptoms tonight as last time??
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh honey I'm not surprised you want a cuddle - an infection is bad enough but you'll be utterly knackered on top of that.  You know the drill - lots of fluids, lots of rest.  I admire your tenacity....most mere humans would have thrown in the towel.  

Your EHIC card will cover you for medical treatment if you need it.  And when you get home, madam, you need a proper rest.  

• Proper rest is on the cards..... I even told bf it tonight on fone!! I'm on hols until 29th so I think I will be having a few jammy days in front of the fire before going into hiding next weekend when the girlz father pays his yearly visit to Orkney!!! (he doesn't visit them ever thou!) I just don't want to bump into him anywhere!
  • Tp- no it hasn't!! Plenty of makeup in use, something I don't normally use!:/
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - I hope you can relax and enjoy the rest of your time off. I think some PJ days with a good book or boxset sounds like just what you need.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Kaz - with all you went through and still a 4:04. I know you don't feel like it, but that's still Superwoman territory to the rest of us. Hope you feel better soon.

Neil - brilliant. Well done !
  • Forgot to say last night but well done everyone on there PB's.

I haven't met with anyone, although I did speak to RS briefly on the course yesterday. I don't even know how I knew it was her going by?!?! image
  • Well done guys..   some good stories..  Kaz...  sounds like a tough day foir you..  get some advice and take it....   SR..  no worries...  just think of it as a long run somewhere different...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats Neil. Super time, especially for a first effort. It's great to get better than you expected but you obvioulsly underestimated yourself big time.

• Red
    3434  Neil Belgium
    5995  Bedders 
    6032  Stray Runner 

Yellow
    8186  seanb
    8843  Oops
    9114  djwolf
    10101  Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021  Mark Beevor
    14160  Weedy Gonzalez
    14467  kaz1
    15080  Ward 6
    15350  phil in fitter
    16171  Steve Duffy 2

Purple
    28285  Pauline Macfarlae
    28790  Nicola bird 2
    28850  Eggyh73
    30188  Johnny Lyall
    30213  Dannirr 
    31612  Elizabeth Ellis 3 

Green
    37185  yer_maj
    37480  Suzy Martines
    37524  SP13
    37991  Emmy_H
    38591  Febo
    39107  Trevor Olver
    39658  Iain Moore 2
    40116  Nic E
    40483  Tiddy
    40582  Clag
    41369  Monkey man
    42380  Running Rodent
    42561  ATM
    43795  NGUG

Grey
    50009  the jimbob
    50501  swindon dave
    51095  KeyserSuze
    51222  James B 73
    51614  Mrs dj
    52460  TartanPimpernel
    52868  Orbutt

Pink
    59447  DV
    62660  Marathon Maus

• Thanks for the kind words folks - will definitely be using this as a learning point - who would have thought 8th mara would teach me so much.

I haven't said well done to all that pb'd/ran the dam yesterday so well done to you all. Also really nice to meet up with some of you the night before - was really worried you would all be weirdos (as mrs sr would have you believe). But you all seemed normal to meimage

Except dlr but I expected that.

Does anyone know if chownsie pb'd? He looked in fine form to me.
  • Sr- he did but I don't know his time
  • Thanks for the comments everyone. OO: I knew I could go quicker, I just wasn't sure where the line was between sustainable effort and pushing too hard. I still can't quite believe I held a 4.00 pace for that long though, it really feels like you're flying image I kept asking myself if I could manage to keep this up for 3 hours if I went a slightly slower pace (4.15), and my brain kept saying no... but now that it's over I'm already up for the sub 3 image

SR: I'd forgotten you changed jobs this year until TD pointed it out: don't be too hard on yourself!

Kaz: Like Dannirr said: I'm well impressed with your time after the experience you had. But I think you need to seriously rest now: like a month off with zero running (or anything else). There's plenty of time until Paris and it'll make you stronger in the long term. Please think about it?