Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Basking in the sun outside a cafe in Amsterdam. Bliss.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Omnishambles at Schiphol. Fog here and in London - currently looking at a three hour delay. No announcements, no BA staff around. Airport staff kindly offering food vouchers if you're prepared to join a queue of around (genuinely) about 300 people. Sigh.

Come to Brussels - forget Amsterdamimage

• Options
    Eggy - I have stroopwafels. Unfortunately they're in my checked-in bag, wherever that's gone image .
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

The bag is off to the Carribbean.  It fancied a bit of sun...

• Options

I'M BAAACCCKKK!!!!! and am now a VERY smug sub 4hr marathon runner!!!!  the grin is still huge and think I might be in danger of my ears falling off.

kaz1 wrote (see)
    Forgot to say, that during my run the dye has run out of my hair and stained my face smurf blue!!!

yeah...i didn't want to say image

kaz1 wrote (see)
    Forgot to say last night but well done everyone on there PB's.
    I haven't met with anyone, although I did speak to RS briefly on the course yesterday. I don't even know how I knew it was her going by?!?! image

It was the paris t-shirtimage Hope you're feeling better soon mate!!  You need to have quite a while of CHILL and get yourself sorted.  Sounds like your body is saying no more. image...for now...image

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Spartan Dave - dinnae mess with the formatting, man.  This is a very anal thread you know...

OK.. Bye then

Don't go Dave, we're just kidding around. image I made the same mistake earlier this year and messed with the list.  It gets really screwed up with formatting so we leave it in the capable list fairy's hand (or in this case the pink tutu delegate, DV until NGUG is back).

right...now to the couch. I'm a little tired and sore. imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RS - Can I guess that you're still grinning from ear to ear on the couch? image

• Options

oh hell yeah!!!  The grin is HUGE. Loving the detail on the amsterdam website.  I came 245th in my category!!!!

oh yeah, YAY to everyone else that PBd and BOO to everyone that had a mare.  It's a marathon, it's a challenge, sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't and that's why we do itimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@RS - I had a look at mine, too. It doesnt tell you how many were in your category though... I have a feeling I was 635 of 635image.

@TD - my last post didnt edit correctly. I'm looking for flights to Berlin but there's none direct from Brussels. How did you do it this year?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RS - You should be very happy with your time. Brilliant result. It took me several attempts to go sub 4, so it felt like a huge weight off my back when I did it in Paris. I think if I hadn't done it this year I'd have probably gone insane. I'd be in the news as some crazy guy running through Glasgow screaming "bloody Vondel Park!!"

• Options

and DV (deputy list fairy): put me in Violet: 29684image Have sent an email to get the other entry cancelled.  Fingers crossed the cancel the right one!!!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I'd be in the news as some crazy guy running through Glasgow screaming "bloody Vondel Park!!"

But this is normal, right?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I'd be in the news as some crazy guy running through Glasgow screaming "bloody Vondel Park!!"

But this is normal, right?

Actually the Glasgow speed workout is running past a bunch of neds and shouting "'mon then"!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Next time I see you, ask me to tell you the story of "The Ned and The Egg"...image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sounds interesting. I'll need to remember to ask.

• Options
    I'm still here image .

Flight now cancelled, BA can't rebook me to anywhere in the UK till lunchtime tomorrow, and they can't even guarantee that because there's more fog forecast. Putting my hopes on an Easyjet flight at 2150.

Looking on the bright side, I have been reunited with my stroopwafels.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - That sounds like a nightmare. Airports are not the best of places to be stuck hanging around in. Fingers crossed they can get you on the Easyjet flight.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

image ((Running Rodent)) that sounds awful. I'll keep fingers crossed for you. If all else fails - what about taking the train from Amsterdam Brussels and then the Eurostar over to London?

You're more than welcome at Chez Emmy if you need somewhere to stay.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Well done to all those who got a PB in Amsterdam!

Completed the (quite hilly!) Dartmoor Vale half yesterday in 1:52 which I was pretty happy with for a first half marathon attempt! Has really motivated me to train hard for Paris and acheive my sub 4hrs target...

• Options

Red
    3434 Neil Belgium
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8843 Oops
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    15080 Ward 6
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    29684  Radar Sal
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38591 Febo
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    59447 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus

• Options

Is anyone else interested in joining us for dinner at Kaslik next week to welcome Dr Dannirr to London in preparation for The Great Race..?    I have a table booked, but its not too late to add more if you'd like to come and meet in the real world.   The list so far is...:

London Calling - 1st Nov 2012 - Kaslik, Soho

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 
    Radar Sal 
    Running Rodent 
    Crazy Stan from Oz

MAYBE
    the Jimbob (& mrs jimbob?)
    NGUG & Mr NGUG

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm only coming to meet crazy Stan from Oz.  Will there be a View from this restaurant??

And what time are we booked for...

• Options

I'm sure you can sit next to Crazy Stan from Oz image   

View...  well..  Dannirr will apparently be sporting an Edwardian beard..  that's got to be worth a look..

Time...  I think I said 8pm...  I'll check nearer the time.

• Options
    Evening all,

RR - that sounds a nightmare.

I am knackered. Back in my hotel with 2 tired and happy girlz who don't want to go back to uk tomorrow. I haven't told them yet but we ain't staying in Aberdeen until Thursday, but heading home on the boat tomorrow night after juniors optician appointment. Eldest especially won't be happy! :/

We went to the zoo today, best zoo I have ever been to, lots of walking, lots of coffee stops, sunbathed in Vondelpark for a while, more walking and coffee....

A good day, wish we could stay a bit longer..........but there is always next timeimage
  • Options

Ach that's terrible Alison. I'd have put you up in Brussels too but I guess it's all too late for that now. Hope it resolves itself quick. There's some nice massage arcmchairs in Schipol I remember....

Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Chapeaus off to all the Hamsterdamers!

TD: I *think* I understand the theory, but I'm just not sure how to figure out how fast running at, say, lactate threshold feels (or ought to feel).

Mausey - by feel I would say that you can barely speak more than 2 or 3 words at a time if running at threshold pace. Imagine it as the fastest running you can do where you maintain the same heart rate for 30 minutes. It's quite tough. If you go too fast, you have to slow down a bit (which isn't a terribly bad thing, it's just not quite as optimum as staying just below your lactate threshold). So the idea is consistently fast and hard. Cue Leeds Rob. image

Emmy_H wrote (see)

@TD - my last post didnt edit correctly. I'm looking for flights to Berlin but there's none direct from Brussels. How did you do it this year?

Sleazyjet. But the new Berlin airport will be open next year so maybe they aren't listing the flights yet?

Still no results up on the website from the race I did yesterday. That's a bit tardy. Point of order Neil. It wasn't a "training run". I was racing image

• Options

Darth, its loooking more likely that i'm gonna be there (hooray - lucky you guys) - the breadknife is 50/50 just trying to secure a babysitter - let you know on Wednesday.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I'm only coming to meet crazy Stan from Oz.  Will there be a View from this restaurant??

And what time are we booked for...

A View of what?  Crazy Stan?  (who now tells me he might only arrive on Friday - so you might have to settle for me....). He will, whenever he arrives, be in the car for the Great Race. 

By way of full discolsure - Stan is my longest friend - we were expelled from school together at aged 13 and that was just the start of our misadventures. 

• Options

I don't know if I can wait until next thursday for the meeting of mad minds.  I have this weird feeling that DV and Dannirr were separated at birth...and now there's a crazy stan!!  LOVE IT!  8pm start...hmmm...where's drinkies beforehand? image

RR - you have had an awful day!! image  The brassarie where you saw us is pretty good.  We had a few bottles of wine there when got stuck on the way to cuba a couple of years ago.  I second Emmy's idea of the eurostar from Brussels.  There's one every hourish from 6:56am tomorrow.

• Options
    RR - what a nightmare!!! If you didn't make the easyjet flight I'll see you tomorrow for the lunch time one.

RS - so did you run a sub-4 then, only you were awfully quite last night.

As for me and Kat, well Kat is currently snoring and that 4:06 has taken it's toll, I'm shattered after a great weekend and happy with my PB of 3:19:35. Onwards to the next one, maybe even by Christmas!!

Well done to all those who ran and did so well, sorry to hear you had a bad day SR, how did Adrian get on?!
  • Options

Meet here for pre-dinner drinkies...  The Crown pub, Seven Dials, 

http://www.sevendials.co.uk/component/stores/store/13-food-and-drink/348-the-crown-public-house

http://goo.gl/maps/SxWTa

43 Monmouth Street, WC2H 9DD

Meet from 7pm onwards...  and we'll wander/stagger up to the restaurant for about 8pm or whatever else it was that I booked...  I'll confirm....