Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Naomi has the third member of the medal set, it is rather cute!!!

At the airport..... Thick fog.... I don't know what's happening??? Bet I do know my auntie has been trying to get home from Aberdeen from yesterday?? image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz1 - you may find the same issues as RR had yesterday image Lots of fog and cancellations are being reported from UK/Benelux.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Good luck getting home. Hopefully you'll have far less trouble than RR had yesterday.

A visit to the GP for me this evening. Not looking forward to that.

• Looks like the ASO is taking the double registration thing seriously now: they have sent an email (in french) with a dedicated website (in English) where you can say whether it was a system error or you intended to register twice.

Anyone stuck in Amsterdam: the train to Brussels and Eurostar to London route is pretty straight forward (unless you're trying to get to Orkney I guess). I have a room available in Brussels if anyone is really stuck

DLR: somehow I missed the fact that you were cruising the 'Dam. Shame I missed you image

• Yip Eurostar to London could make for an eventful trip home!!

Not been told of any delays yet.....???

I enjoyed Amsterdam, but a shame I never got to meet any of you image

Kidz are on about a return trip next year, even willing to give up all luxuries and treats so they can get abroad in October as well as April...... I can forecast a very very skint kaz!!!image
  • Heading for Schipol shortly. Hope the fog lifts soon - and I'm not talking about the weather. My head hurts even more than my legs! Great weekend, now I need to decide whether Paris is a go-er. Sorry I missed you all, hopefully catch up with you next time.
  • I must say that this is the most sober trip I have ever had, not 1 drop of alcohol has passed my lips image SiL has a lot to answer for!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)
    I must say that this is the most sober trip I have ever had, not 1 drop of alcohol has passed my lips image SiL has a lot to answer for!

Make sure that she doesnt invite herself for Paris...image

It's good to hear that the girls have enjoyed themselves and want to go again!

• Emmy - I know........she was very inquisitive regarding the trip... And my replies very vague apart from the fact that there was a group of people I would be meeting up with!!! Hopefully she got the message!!!

Ya girls seem to have enjoyed themselves, but wish it had been longer and just us!!! At the moment Alannah is searching for next yr- hotels nearer centre but also near metro - the girl is getting the hang of this!!!image

So far no reports of delay despite the fog???
  • Stray Runner wrote (see)
    Email off

That's got to be one of the lousiest insults I've ever heard SR, although as you are a technology man, I give it a little tip of the hat.On a similar theme, howabout this one?: "May all your Tweets be from Tw..", nah, it's too rude. image

My left leg is incredibly sore today. I suspect that cist behind my knee has been leaking into the calf muscle compartment. Sometimes it is literally breathtaking. Which is all a bit annoying as I'd like to think of myself as having the possibility of getting really fit over the winter and getting fast again but I am wondering if that is really going to be possible. Might have to pay another visit to the surgeon. image

Yesterday was the hottest 22nd October in Belgium since records began. It's balmy/ barmy outside even now. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Yesterday was the hottest 22nd October in Belgium since records began. It's balmy/ barmy outside even now. image

Dont worry - it'll be 8'c by Sunday according to the weather forecast! there's a chance of snow at the GSR on sunday image

• Not an insult td. Just turning off the emails all responses on posts. Jams up the mailbox.

And seems to be default behaviour on chrome and followed threads still don't work either I notice
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm TD is there anything that can be done about this cyst, short of whacking it with a hammer every now and again? image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - great - that place is not too far from my hotel!  (Lancaster London on Bayswater).  Thanks!

That's funny...   only a tourist would describe Bayswater as being close to Covent Garden!   image  Either jump in a black cab and shout "Seven Dials my good fellow" in a Dick Van Dyke accent, or get on the tube.  Aim for either Leicester Square (central line to Tottenham Court Road and then down one) or Covent Garden.  Its just a short walk from both those stations.   Its also only a short walk from the pub to the restaurant on Greek Street.  I've been to this pub and the restaurant several times and they will be good venues for us.

It's all a matter of perspective.....Atlanta is a very spread out, sprawling city with little public transport. Going the equivalent from Bayswater to Covent Garden in Atllanta would be impossible without your own car, or pre-arranging a cab, or a pair of Hokas.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)
    Emmy - I know........she was very inquisitive regarding the trip... And my replies very vague apart from the fact that there was a group of people I would be meeting up with!!! Hopefully she got the message!!!

Perhaps tell her we're a bunch of southerners and "foreigners"? Maybe include the words "like to drink" as wellimage I booked into the Pullman hotel near the Eiffel Tower (right on the metro) and it was dead cheap in comparison to the rest of Paris.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Hmmm TD is there anything that can be done about this cyst, short of whacking it with a hammer every now and again? image

I agree. What about some stern words? I can shout at it in German if you like? image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

yer_maj wrote (see)

I agree. What about some stern words? I can shout at it in German if you like? image

Bloody hell Emmy, the thought of a redhead being stern in German is going to tip a few of them over the edge...image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I can only try, Yer_maj image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sounds good to me!!

Although after previously working with two German girls both of the mental variety I find German to be a funny language. Between the constant disasters followed by a few choice German swear words being muttered. The two of them refusing to talk with each other "she's West German, I'm East German" said with a look that could restart the cold war, and the all time classic of the look of shock that heating chestnuts in a microwave may lead to said chestnuts exploding very loudly!

• Back In Aberdeen, and it's thick fog here too!!

My kids are really scheming!!! They are now looking at flights to Berlin?!?! And with the reasoning that naomi can do the kidz run on the Saturday!! They even reckon that if planned properly they will only need two days off school...... When I even suggested the affordability I got scorned at and told to take it out of their future cos experiences/opportunities like this cant be replaced or wasted?!?! I think they've been secretly visiting cafes!!!!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I love your children already - Kaz!

If it helps - I've just booked my hotel for Berlin... it's an apartment for 3-4 people and currently it's housing only me! (It was cheaper than a hotel...).

• We were thinking about apartments too Emmy, where's that at??
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I found it on booking.com. It's 4 mins metro away from Alexanderplatz and relatively central in Kreuzberg if I remember correctly. I'll PM you the link.

• Hi Paris Marathoners

Can I come and join your gang? I did the race in 2010 and have signed up again this year. Hoping to get between 3:20 and 3:30. Did 3:32 in monsoon conditions in Milton Keynes last year. The family insisted on something a little more scenic this year image Am currently preparing for an Autumn HM. Bring it on!

Cheers, Ant

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Ant,

You are a fine addition - welcome.

• Emmy - heard your 'rave' on Marathon Talk yesterday whilst doing my LSR.  I am well behind but save my podcasts as they are too precious to waste.

Congratulations to all that did so well at Amsterdam. 

Had a vertible armful of blood taken this morning as I lack pottasium and feel like I have been unplugged.

For those of you looking to rent apartments, I recommend www.homeaway.co.uk I advertise my holiday villa with them and am a happy customer when searching for marathon venues. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Ant P wrote (see)

Hi Paris Marathoners

Can I come and join your gang? I did the race in 2010 and have signed up again this year. Hoping to get between 3:20 and 3:30. Did 3:32 in monsoon conditions in Milton Keynes last year. The family insisted on something a little more scenic this year image Am currently preparing for an Autumn HM. Bring it on!

Cheers, Ant

Well now then Ant...what can you offer us?  Song?  Dance?  Acid Wit?

Your family have their priorities sorted - welcome image

Kaz - your girls will be running the country soon...

• yer_maj wrote (see)

yer_maj wrote (see)
    Bloody hell Emmy, the thought of a redhead being stern in German is going to tip a few of them over the edge...image

Watch out Yer Maj, she's a founder member of the Ginger Ninja Marathon Club. We're a fearsome sight on club night. Looks like a battle scene from Braveheart when we all come charging over the horizon in hill rep sessions.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

yer_maj wrote (see)

Watch out Yer Maj, she's a founder member of the Ginger Ninja Marathon Club. We're a fearsome sight on club night. Looks like a battle scene from Braveheart when we all come charging over the horizon in hill rep sessions.

We have t-shirts and everything....image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I currently have red hair but I ain't charging up no hills image