Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

1-0 to the vile animals at half time, Celtic doing ok and the home counties favourite side losing to the mighty Braga.  Could be a good evening.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

@RR

Aimlessly? Aimlessly? Surely you bought some clogs? * 20+ minutes in Schiphol and you begin to  want some....*

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

1-0 to the vile animals at half time, Celtic doing ok and the home counties favourite side losing to the mighty Braga.  Could be a good evening.

Then again...

• Options

nope don't listen to marathon talk podcasts but do listen to parkrun ones.  might start to listent to them on LSRs through the winter months. definitely off music again as far as running to is concerned.

did some stretches today after a quick warm up on the x-trainer. nothing bad to report so 6km recovery run in the morning.  long old road to paris back in the saddle image

should be out at KOC as i have decided it is the only way to get the running done before work takes over.

re paris and supporters spots mrs sr and the boys usually hang around the place de la concorde as the get to see me into the pen, then potter down to the end of the champs.  hang around for a bit and then see everyone coming back up the riverside...then potter back up the champs to the finish. they aren't that mobile so haven't braved the metro....yet.

• Options

thanks SR - I put a little bit of that plan in but will expand on it for next year.  Also found out that it isn't too bad for supporters to follow their runner down to the pen and then keep walking a bit to see the start.  Just watch out for random public urination and keep away from the Kuwait embassy.  DLR pees there.

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

... and keep away from the Kuwait embassy.  DLR pees there.

Everyone needs a hobby.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

DLR pees anywhere there may be a camera....

• Options

There's Dutch folk as spend good money on those videos.

• Options

Eggy - Whisky's the official sports drink of the Ginger Ninja Marathon Club. That and ginger beer, obviously. And we scoff ginger nuts instead of energy gels.

Londonliv (GNMC member 004) - if no one can pass on their cheaper duplicate entry, it's definitely worth the extra few euros to enter.

Mark - I've got a Camelbak ultra, where the bladder is horizontal round your lower back instead of vertical down your spine. I find it v comfortable BUT... I had to stitch most of the adjustable straps together as I found they kept sliding slack, meaning the pack kept bouncing about. If you go to a good running shop, they should let you have a go on their treadmill with various types of pack. Take something that you can insert in the packs instead of the water bladder so you try to replicate the weight of the water.

• Options

+1 for walking around Schiphol, that place is massive!  It must have done something as my legs feel absolutely fine today image... our flight was only 90mn delayed thank goodness and we got upgraded to business which was nice.. free fizz thank you very much!  Can't recall who asked, Jimbob, think it might have been you but yes, I survived Amsterdam.. just.. I had very high hopes of it being a fast run but sadly not for me; a PW and am currently alternating between the euphoria of having completed my 4th marathon, coupled with the huge disappointment of not having run a decent time.  Totally my own fault, a lack of the right training - I could reel off excuses until I am blue in the face but at the end of the day I just didn't bank the miles that I needed.  I was, by my calculations, on course for a 4.25 finish but ITB issues took over and the last 15k were agony.  The route was good, the atmosphere was great, the weather was shocking; I suffer from raynaud's so wasn't happy with the chilly winds and low temperature but nevertheless have had "you've run a damn marathon woman, be proud of yourself" going around in my head all day today despite the let down of a slow time.. there's always Paris I guess!

• Options

Speaking of Marathon Talk, I've just checked and Tony Audenshaw did 3.08.38. Well done to him - must have been them new orange shoes.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Then again...

Oh man it's going to be a long night....

• Options

ATM - you jest, but Mizuno were displaying these at the Expo:

/members/images/13234/Gallery/clog_0.JPG

Suzy - sorry we didn't manage to meet up, but sounds like you had one of those real 'character-building' runs. And you definitely win the prize for the best trip back image.

• Options

Suzy - YES!  you have ran a marathon!!!!  be DAMN proud of yourself!

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Then again...

Oh man it's going to be a long night....

It's all gone Pete Tong.  Two hours listening to the radio and typing gibberish online image

• Options

Well Done Suzy-Sooze! - another notch on the marathon post. Paris will be quicker - if not quickest eh?!!! ....... image

• Options
    Suzy - +1 for Raymaud. I felt OK during the run but at the end my fingers were completely white. Took over an hour to get the circulation back. Sorry you had a bad run, but we all have them. Put it down to experience. You'll bounce back.
  • Options
    Berlin is easy to get into. I don't think a pre-reg guarantees a place. I think you need a credit card transaction to do that! I've run 3 marathons each of the last 3 years. Usually attempt 2 fast and 1 for fun. I don't think that's a formula which works for me anymore and I don't foresee booking an autumn marathon unless everything goes swimmingly in April in Londinium Town.
  • Options

TD - ok so assuming i pre-register then they email me the code and then i register proper (and give card details) - I assume then i'm in,? but they say something about confirmations will be sent out in August 2013 which is quite a way off. I suppose seeing the money get taken out of my account is good enough.

Anyhoo - i have reserved a hotel for the run near Brandenberg gate. want to have Berlin as a back-up in case i have a yogi in Paris. Problem with London is i didn't get back on the horse quick enough (once giving the body adequote time to heal)!

If Paris turns out to be fantastic for me then Berlin can be for fun

• Options

So TD? remind me are you doing Pareeee and Londinium Taaan?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jimbob - Only a complete indiot would run both Paris & London!! image

As for Berlin the entries open on the 25th. It's first come first served with incremental pricing just like Paris. It's a great race and a fantasic city. It was after doing that in 2011 that TD nudged me in the direction of Paris and this fine thread. Plus there was a small but cool kidz meet up after that with our very own Kaz and Simon.

I'd like to do Berlin again but I think I'll need a break from almost constant marathon running to recharge after my spring marathons next year, so head rules heart on that and I'll be sitting it out. I'll need to have a think over what I'd like to aim for next autumn.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Weedy - Mmmmm gingernuts. Maybe not with whisky though!

Suzy - Well done on getting through the marathon in Amsterdam. I've completed nine marathons now and a couple of those have been bad ones in terms of how I've felt on the day. Funnily enough Berlin in 2011 was probably the one I really suffered through and I understand that sense of accomplishment of completing the race against that noise in your head that feels you didn't do the race justice. If anything what I took away from that was this is what I can do when it's all gone wrong. Due to that my Berlin finishers t-shirt is a favourite of mine.

• Options

Eggy and TD and all the crazy people in this thread (bar me of course) - you are marathon Monstorsimage 

I'll be warming up for Berlin at the GNR - love visiting my friends in the Northeast each year for one of my fave events. it's getting a bit congested now but its still a great vibe for a half.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

To be honest two marathons is the most I've done in any one year and even at that I've only done that a couple of times. Normally I do one a year. Nine marathons in six years for me.

The bizzare part of that is I've only ever ran one in the UK!

• Options
    two per year for me over the last four years. Only 2 in the uk.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

If anything what I took away from that was this is what I can do when it's all gone wrong. Due to that my Berlin finishers t-shirt is a favourite of mine.

I thik this really sums up well wha marothoning is all about, and something you must experience to understand. We love the euphoria of a PB or a great run, but we really remember and feel most proud of when we push through adversity. 

• Options

Dannir - i'm hearin ya mate.  i went through every emotion in the last 11 miles of London in 2010. Including spectacular torrets style swearing - and full scale tears (i'm not the only person to have had that right?) It was just so tough - i am really hoping the next wont quite be as tough.

/members/images/157400/Gallery/36645_404023065881_7990907_n.jpg

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Have any of you seen the play "Chariots of Fire" currently in London?

• Options
    that sounds too much like culture dannirrimage

Run done so off to a good start today.
  • Options

Nice KOCing SR!

Dannirr - haven't seen it but the reviews have been good.