Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Dannirr wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

If anything what I took away from that was this is what I can do when it's all gone wrong. Due to that my Berlin finishers t-shirt is a favourite of mine.

I thik this really sums up well wha marothoning is all about, and something you must experience to understand. We love the euphoria of a PB or a great run, but we really remember and feel most proud of when we push through adversity. 

I confess...

...having not been able to run since July, and having taken the decision to attempt the Amsterdam half off essentially zero training and 21lb weight gain I felt quite emotional on Sunday in the hours leading up to the race: I knew it would mean a lot to me to finish, but equally there was a risk that I wouldn't so had to be realistic and keep assessing throughout. 

The first 6/7 miles were hard work but ok, after that it was incredibly difficult - like the last 6 of a full marathon.  I really had to draw on the mental toughness that I'd gained through completing marathons but also recognise that I've added another experience of pushing through adversity that will stand me in good stead in April.

The relief of finishing in one piece was huge.  The time may not have been quick but it's probably the one medal I've got that I'm actually proud of.

• Morning all

KOC here today but not for running, my second job needed done before 8am image

Safely home, after a very long boat trip.

Now onwards and upwards.......I hope!! But rest for next fortnight.
  • DLR..   well done..  that's a big effort...  image

kaz..  get medical advice, and look after yourself...  

jimbob..  nice bit of fisting there...  you and DLR are going to be best mates..!

ATM..  you back home again yet..  what was this latest Paris trip for..?  You were only home 10 minutes....!

• Yer Maj - Cold update s'il vous plait?

Rob - sounds like you got a PB to me. Maybe not in terms of time, but in terms of effort.

Here's Weedy trying desperately to dig deep in Amsterdam at the weekend. There was much swearing going on in my head.

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Amsterdam.jpg

And no, I'm not shelling out 20 euros for the picture.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I'm going to enter it tomorrow spot on 12pm CET.

@Suze - Well done for finishing! You've still done it - PW or not.

@Kaz - how are you feeling, today?

@DLR - That's a great thought. Pulling in your mental strength from marathons into half marathons.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DLR - Sounds like you had to dig deep and looking back in that you've hardly been able to run at all through the summer both completing the run and the time are bloody amazing if you ask me.

Kaz - Glad to hear you are home safe and are planning on a couple of weeks rest.

Weedy - I think swearing at yourself in your head is as much a part of the marathon process as actually running it.

• @ DV, RR and Weedy.

Thanks for the pointers towards the backpacks - it's going to be a productive lunchtime choosing the best I can find image

This weekend will be my 4th marathon this year, and well 4th ever. It's been a busy year!! Definitely going to do more halfs next year. Hopefully will be doing 3 competitions abroad next year but it all depends on the cashflow image

• Massive thank you to ATM for the Paris notes. Very detailed and very helpful, much appreciated.

When I get a chance to discuss with my mate I'm running with I'll be booking a hotel - exciting all this planning.

I have a PB of 4.04 so I have 165 days to get in 3.59 shape!
  • Thanks all.

I'm not completely ruling out the idea of an autumn marathon next year but it's unlikely, if only because it would mean pretty much 18 months constant training and my old body probably couldn't cope with it, unless mileage and intensity dropped but that would mean Paris 2014 and autumn 2013 would suffer.  I'd only enter one if all felt well a few weeks after Paris - so that rules Berlin out for sure.

I do like the idea of doing a half abroad in the autumn though - maybe Neil style and train for a good half PB - maybe a few minutes slower!!

• It's in the bag Johnny!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Easy Peasy Johnny - a mere 1 minute per 33 daysimage

Weedy - on the mend thanks, although a trip to Leicester today isn't going to cheer me up much...!

DLR - you're a very naughty boy....you'll remember that one though...

• How do you get the photo without paying, I tried to save it but just got a pile o nonsense??? Its Naomi's one I am wanting(I am one very proud mummyimage)

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - There are a few of us who have cracked sub 4's this year, so stick around it could be contagious!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz - If you increase screen resolution and then i use a screen cropping tool and take a picture...  Marathon photos are expensive but they're cheaper than the french ones - 20EUR for a 5x7 pic

• Hope you're all right.

I guess I should try (again...) to pack the demon fags up, that'd help...
  • i'm trying to upload a picture to my profile. it doesnt seem to be working.

• Emmy - I'll get the eldest on to it - she's the computer whizz!!

• James - they have to be quite small in size, that is, the pictures to use for your avatar. Also, this website is a bit crappy in terms of how the functionality works with different types of browser. I think if you use fruit-based computing it can be a bit oif a struggle...

The Jimbob wrote (see)

So TD? remind me are you doing Pareeee and Londinium Taaan?

Will only drive down to Paris to have fun and give support. I ran them both 2 weeks apart a few years ago and it hurt a lot in London. Only time I've ever walked in a race - 28 times to be precise. Finished in 3h30 which was pretty close to my PW from my first ever mara. Will not do back to back races again like that.

It's old and boring for regulars on the thread but I used to be a bit of a mileage monster and clocked by PB of 2h54 this year in Paris. But have had some injury problems and was told I might not ever run again, followed by a knee op back in June. Since then, I have been struggling to get back to normal. I never run on consecutive days anymore and am trying to do more cycling. But my knee still hurts and now it's getting darker, getting out on the bike is much less simple.

On the positive side, the good weather continues here in Belgium and will be out running at lunchtime, plus new high-power bike lights have arrived in the post today. image

Welcome to the thread Johnny. Sub4 is there for the taking and we'll all enccourage you to give up the evil weed.

• SR. Incredible KOC'ing about. Hope you can keep that going.

• Johnny - I gave up 5 years ago (was at 20 a day for 16 years).

If I can do it, anyone can. I took a fortnight off work, booked a cottage in the middle of nowhere, miles from any shops and spent two weeks going out for ten-hour walks around Northumberland. And I made sure I had something to do to keep my hands occupied (stop sniggering DLR) Rubik's cube worked for me.

And don't worry about gaining weight. I've lost five stones since.

Good luck

• i gave up 9 years ago and ended up playing with my yoyo for a few weeks to get me through the initial cold turkey period. I became quite a dab hand .... here's me a few weeks back at GNR digging hard for the line. So so very very pale - its ghostly ...

/members/images/157400/Gallery/gnr2012.jpg

:

• Bet your eyesight has suffered though Weedyimage

Johnny - giving up the tabs has got to help.  Advice that someone else on here should heed too, especially if they want to cruise their (as yet un-listed) Paris target!

James - may also be a delay with the avatar picture.  Not sure if they have to be approved but I'm fairly certain it takes about a day for them to appear once uploaded.

yer_maj - aye, I'll not forget it. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I uploaded my pic last week and it's still not up...

• yer_maj wrote (see)

I uploaded my pic last week and it's still not up...

I suspect the more 'candid' pictures are rejectedimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It must have been the goat...

• I told you you should have pixelated his face so he couldn't be identified.

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Bet your eyesight has suffered though Weedyimage

I'm not sinking to your level. I'm just not going there. I'm not. La la la, I'm not listening.

Ginger Ninja Marathon Club rule no 69 - thou shalt not be smutty.

• I know it's comparing a half with a full, but as it was my first race abroad other than Paris, I thought I'd give my impression of Paris vs Amsterdam.  I'm not including anything on the cities themselves, just race/event specific stuff.

Expo

Paris wins this one.  Amsterdam's was easy to navigate and quick but it was tiny - probably less than a tenth the size of Paris's.

Transport

Huge win for Paris.  As the start/finish is central its pretty easy to get to from anywhere but in Amsterdam there was pretty much only one route there/back which meant it was cramped and very smelly on the way back!

Organisation

I think I might just give Amsterdam the edge on this.  Probably not as rigid/efficient as Paris but I found that any queries before the event got dealt with immediately.  Language probably helped.

Course

Paris by a long way.  I don't suppose the grey murky weather helped, and the half didn't include the pretty bit along the river that the full includes, but I found the Amsterdam course to be really dull.  I don't run races for the scenery but if it changes a bit it does feel easier.  However, the stadium finish in Amsterdam is definitely better than BdB and Avenue Foch.

Entertainment

Another one for Paris.  Some of the Amsterdam stuff was good - like the ska band near our pen - but there didn't seem to be as many acts and a number of those that were there seemed to simply consist of a middle aged DJ peering out of his sunroof, with a couple of big speakers hooked up to the car stereo playing Euro dance music (and not the sometimes excellent early 90s Belgian techno either...).

To be continued...

• Drinks stations

I'll call this one a draw.  Paris benefited from larger stations, greater variety of foods and water in bottles but less energy drink (if that's your thing).  Amsterdam had volunteers far more active in handing out drinks and there seemed less congestion despite the size, but the sports drink was evil and drinks were only in half filled paper cups.

Support

Paris takes this one but only just.  For much of the course the support in Amsterdam was minimal, and those that were there just stood there with arms folded, but there were occasional exceptions.  Similarly the competitors in the half didn't engage with the support or entertainment much.  However, in the last mile or so the Amsterdam support thickened up and became really vocal and appreciated - especially the wall of noise from the finishers as you entered the stadium.  I loved that, and made sure I did the same for others as I queued.  Makes me feel good just remembering that.  Overall though, Paris does edge it.

Medal & shirt

Amsterdam wins this.  Ok, the medal is a bit 'Jim'll fix it' but Paris has had as many bad medals as good over the years too.  Shirt wise I really quite like the Mizuno one from the 'Dam.  Its a genuine branded shirt rather than this year's tent like Paris one (though I suspect mine was incorrectly labelled as others seemed fine).

Goodie bag

It's not so much that Paris wins this one as Amsterdam concedes it, as there was no goodie bag there.  Granted, it's pretty mixed stuff in Paris but the buff was good this year and there is usually a couple of edible things as well as some bizzare 'talking points'.

to be continued...

• Bag drop off

Definitely one for Amsterdam.  It was crowded to leave things but much easier to collect as they gave an alpha numeric label e.g H510 that meant they could locate quickly, wheras Paris relied on bib number alone with individual bags pretty much anywhere.  This made it absolutely shambolic this year.

Finish area

Paris wins this.  In Paris you're funnelled through efficiently then there is plenty of space and massage tents, food, water, energy drinks are all easy to get at and you're given fairly hefty capes in case its cold.  Amsterdam worked fine for getting the medal but after that it was a bit chaotic.  No idea where the flimsy capes were coming from but we didn't see any and few people had them.

Breakfast run

They approach things differently in Amsterdam.  In Paris its free and is a traffic free mass point to point run with lots of coffee and cakes to follow.  In Amsterdam you pay €10 and run in groups of 8-10 with a coffee, a go ahead biscuit and a tulip at the finish.  I liked the small groups angle and it obviously wasn't as congested as Paris's but finishing on Avenue Foch and running in a group is a good way to acclimatise and stay calm ahead of the big race and for that reason and the fact it was free Paris probably takes it.

Fin.