Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Aye, welcome back Orbutt.  you flying from Manc for Berlin?  £79 return including hold luggage with Lufthansa.  early flights though!
  • ATM wrote (see)

Welcome back to Blighty, Orbutt.

My PB...4.12, so still with a long way to go...was the year my general diet was at its best and where I did some ( just some ) core exercises..I'm going to have another go at that and do some 'speed' stuff.Realistically, I think I'm too old to improve.image

Elizabeth, I made some Notes about Venice...But yahoo ate my old Contacts.Can you message me your e-address and I'll dig them out.

Core work and running drills - they're the new black.

• How much could it cost to host a marathon in a major city?

I don't know what the exact price bands were for Berlin but assuming €60, €90, €110 and €130, that's €3.9m (pre-registered) turnover in 3 hours...

Seems like there is demand out there. With our combined experience of expos, starts/ finishes, bag drops, water stations, optimal number (and placement) of portaloos etc, maybe we could be onto something...

P.S. not only has the edit function disappeared, but there's a new paste function now..

• James B - a fair number of people have said that but 200 miles felt a bloody lot to me. Felt like I was always out and my better half felt like she was forever washing running clothes! Lord knows where everyone finds the time to do more, I'm going to really struggle to stick with the plan. I work 8-6, have an hour and a bit commute at each end, and in my spare time I help run a scout troop and have a season ticket at WHU....something will have to give...maybe I should give Friday and Saturday nights up...

...at least then I wouldn't spend the first hour of my Sunday long run running through a hangover!

All this talk of Berlin is making me want to go again...then again I'd only do as last time and get the train to Munich the day after the marathon and spend 4 days at Oktoberfest...
  • Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

How did you get on in Conwy James, and what's the route like?  Curious as I did a longish run from Llandudno-Rhos-Colwyn Bay-Conwy-Llandudno earlier this year.

I think different approaches work for different people and it partly depends on where your natural strengths/weaknesses lie as to where you need to focus more effort.

Conwy is on 18th November - so will let you know. Having looked at the route the tough part will be around the Great Orme - so a tough middle bit but gentle on the way. Will let you know how it goes but I expect it to be a nice route. Especially if the weather holds off.

• So it goes around the Orme?  That's more undulating than I'd previously remembered it!  Definitely picturesque though.

• It's gonna be tough DLR! Muscle on through it.

Johnny - the wife moans whether I am in the house or not. At least when I am running I can't hear her.

I am simply not prepared to give up the ale or kebabs - so if I am out on the drink I try to do the run beforehand save doing it with a bouncing head.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Got it. The Venice Notes are in the cyber-post..

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DLR - Thanks for the heads up on Lufthansa. Booked, £79 each - bargain.

As you say, a bit early, 7am coming back on the Monday morning but it's got to be done image. We're flying out on Friday to avoid the rush at the expo.

Plenty of time to plan the rest though.

• The Paris website says you can get a deal on Air France flights, has anyone managed to get it to work ?
  • Orbutt wrote (see)

DLR - Thanks for the heads up on Lufthansa. Booked, £79 each - bargain.

As you say, a bit early, 7am coming back on the Monday morning but it's got to be done image. We're flying out on Friday to avoid the rush at the expo.

Plenty of time to plan the rest though.

I'll see you on the Friday flightimage

• I am tempted with marathon eyri again next year as I have unfinished business with that one too

mrs sr was ok with the new jacket arrival image only downside is I ordered the wrong size it appears.

Stuck in Edinburgh for an extra night this week so Arthur's seat tomorrow morning I think.

@jb73 - sub4 is doable on that mileage - the predictor I have, courtesy of dlr I think, takes into account age, weight, training volume and some bonuses for speedwork and that chucks out a 3:55 as the pace I should have targeted on Sunday. That said a higher mileage program would have a higher chance of getting you the result you want. Certainly my own Mara times are directly related to the training miles I clocked up with no outliers
  • SR - I would be interested in having a look at that predictor - which site is it on?

I am aiming for 4 hrs 20 mins - but with my logic - if I train for sub 4 hrs then I should comfortably do 4 h 20. probably a bit daft.

• Johnny - can you tell us a bit more about your plan? The important feature is the long slow run, which ideally you will build up to slowly until you fit in at least 2, and even better 3, 20 mile runs, not on consecutive weeks. Add in a speed session of some sort (intervals, hills, or a steady fast-paced run), a medium length run and another one at an easy pace each week and you have the basics of a marathon plan. But don't miss out on the long runs.

I'm reading Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon book at the moment (the man's a maniac. Seriously.) and I found this quote from Teddy Roosevelt:

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat."

I think that's great.
  • Jumping over to this one from Amsterdam. Evening All. Looking forward to running Paris for the first time next year and registered for Berlin today. image

• Good on ya Tiddy.  Doing same two next week and got back from the 'Dam on Monday.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Next week? That's keen.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Dave, did you find this link ?   I've only ever flown steerage so have no experience of Air France image

Hello, Tiddy.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Next week? That's keen.

Ahem, er...you...know...just as kind of recces for the races next year...

...move along...nothing to see here...

• Yeah that's the link I found, but it crashes.....

Only firmed up the apartment tonight, so will ring Air France tomorrow
  • This was the link jb73 - http://www.valleystriders.org.uk/calcmar1.htm

Took a bit of finding but is buried on pg403 Paris 2012 thread.
  • Anyone done the Paris half before?  Just signed up for it; might be a nice warm up for the real thing and OH is doing too, having done the 8k in amsterdam at the weekend, I think I've brought him over to the dark side image

• There now follows a pubberlick service announcement...

...Amsterdam 2013 is on October 20. Entries open on November 12

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Suzy, I've done it a few times and am doing it next year. Tartanpimpernel's not doing it but will come and support. Basically, it's the eastern half of the marathon course.So, from Vincennes into the Hotel de Ville and back out again. Avoid the bagdrop...

Last year's Semi medal was a smaller version of the full thing so maybe we'll get a preview....image

• Eggy - so, yes, Berlin sold out very quickly this year! Surely there's no way EVERYONE who took pre-registration today will actually pay up and do the thing...

And, yes it was organised, no web site crashes - as you'd expect from the Germans - but why was the format changed this year? It just so happened I was free at 1129 for 2 mins but if I'd not been able to break from rounds til 1500, I'd not have a place...

• Elizabeth - Dublin's going to be cheaper, but Venice is more tempting.

• Weedy - Agreed.  I dout whether I could get the family to get excited about a trip to Dublin but VENICE, oh yes! 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I'm still thinking about the Jerusalem Marathon....brutaly hilly, but what a location!