Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Dannirr - I have a place for Jerusalem 2013 if you want it. I got it and then realised I couldn't really afford to travel there next year!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Iain - thanks, I am going to think about it. The problem of course, is the proximity to Paris - about 6 weeks prior.   Do you know much about it?

• Dannirr - One of my colleagues did an elective in Jerusalem - he ran the course and described it as 'very hilly'. I reckon it's a pretty small field but I'd love to do it at some point.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - Glad to hear you got a place in Berlin. I imagine a good few Berlin regulars would have been caught out with the 3 hour sell-out madness.

Dannirr - The thought of the heat at that event is enough to make me break into a sweat.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Eggy - but running in Jerusalem!!  Gotta be worth it.

Iain - I did an elective there too in Medical School. Great fun. More fun than learning actually.

• Little convoy of KOCers this morning which was unexpected and welcome. Clearly Edinburgh is the city that never sleeps. Turned out to be 10km rather than 8 so in credit this week. M

Also had my first fall of the year so slightly grazed hands and even more battered pride. image
  • SR - ice and snow already up north?! Hope the fall not too bad.
  • Nope just wasn't looking where I was going.... I was reminiscing about my haweswater half last year....often when I run I am visualising memorable runs - not consciously my mind just wanders
  • So, your mind is going and you've started falling?

It's just your age SRimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Stray Runner wrote (see)
    Also had my first fall of the year so slightly grazed hands and even more battered pride. image

This sounds like me this morning. Great intentions for 8 miles, got out the door and within the first mile tripped on some uneven ground and twisted my ankle image Not a happy bunny at the moment. Hobbled home crying and am now elevating my ankle image

• no spring chicken that is for sure
  • SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I have a confession - I have a massive motivation problem at the moment. I know I have a busy daily life but that never stopped me running before. I find myself making excuses - including "I have cycled 19km today that must be good enough" and I know full well that cycling is not a substitute for running. It's almost like I am willing myself not to run - but that is not how I want it to be. What is the matter with me?

Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice is very welcome.

(also disappointed not to have been quick enough to get a start number for Berlin)

• Emmy - that sucks. Hope you're back on your feet soon. If it helps you feel better, at least it didn't happen this time last week.

SP - what races have you done recently and what do you have coming up? In my case, my goals dictate my motivation. Maybe your problem is caused by not having a goal to focus on, or maybe you've just done a marathon and your body and mind naturally needs to take a break from running before picking things up again. It's also maybe caused by the onset of autumn/winter - the urge to stay indoors when it's cold and drizzly outside is fairly powerful.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I ran Viborg marathon just over a month ago and have a 15km mountain trail run on Sunday. My next big run is Paris. I am really struggling despite having goals.

• Its Bloody snowing here..........This is going to be a very very long hard winter.image

I got up at 5.30 am today despite no training/running or work. couldn't sleep for cold, but I hate the heating being on in the bedroom as it gets so stuffy.image fleecy pjs with thermals underneath?!?!

I am definately getting soft!!

SP - Lack of motivation, in my case, usually means I am needing a rest or there is a virus or something working on me???

Emmy - I hope you are ok. And what are you doing running anyway, don't you rest after a marathon???image

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Not a bad point, kaz1. I have the start of a chesty cough and sniffles...

Snowing alread? Brrrr.

Emmy, I hope your ankle gets better soon. Joints can be pretty wobbly after a marathon.

• Emmy - sorry to hear of spill. I think you are due a weekend with the feet up, pain killers and plenty of rest.

Eggy - 3rd time lucky for Berlin, I'm hoping...! It's a great run and an excuse to visit my favourite city. Chicago, Philadelphia and Cologne are other possibilities for future autumn runs - if my PF and knees can take it! 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - Sounds like a sore one. Hope you are ok.

SR - I always find the best time to trip up and fall when running is when you can find the busiest place to do it so half the city can laugh at you as it happens. I've only ever fallen twice when running, both times with plenty of witnesses to have a good laugh at my expense.

Kaz - I did see on the weather this morning is said it was snowing up your way. Not what you want in October!

SP13 - As Kaz pointed out illness can be a factor. I also found a couple of times it's been when I've been pushing towards some sort of target and failed and I start to feel the mental pressure I've put on myself when running. When that happens I stop enjoying the running and start to dread the runs or lose motivation to do them. If that happens I try to find a way to start enjoying getting out for a run again.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Eggy - 3rd time lucky for Berlin, I'm hoping...! It's a great run and an excuse to visit my favourite city. Chicago, Philadelphia and Cologne are other possibilities for future autumn runs - if my PF and knees can take it! 

My trip over for the marathon in 2011 was my only visit to Berlin. I loved the city though. I really need to get back over even if just as a tourist.

I will need to run Berlin again at some point though. I do feel I owe myself a shot at it when properly fit to do it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thank you all. I've got it strapped up and will take some pain killers (i hate taking them)

kaz1 wrote (see)

Emmy - I hope you are ok. And what are you doing running anyway, don't you rest after a marathon???image

Pot calling kettle?image I've got the Great South Run this weekend and then my next marathon on 10th November image Admittedly - GSR wont be a 'real' run as i'm doing it with my mum and she's a run/walker.

• Emmy - hope the ankle is reet.

SP - could be any of those things suggested.  For me though, I find both running and not running to be self perpetuating.  If I'm in the habit of running nothing makes me miss a session.  For Paris this year I ran 5 times a week for 18 weeks and disn't miss a session.  However, if I have an injury or illness that does stop me for a few days I find it very easy to miss just one more run.  Might just be a case that you need 2-3 consistent runs and you'll be back in the groove?

• Running Rodent - sorry not worked out how to quote on my iPhone,

My Sunday planned runs are:

8 miles, 10, 12, 10, 13, 15, 18, 13, 18, Tunbridge Wells half, 18, 18, 20, Hastings half, 10, Paris. So I have only one 20 mile planned. So you advise maybe changing at least one of the others for another 20?

The rest of my plan is based around a steady 10k every Tuesday, with two other runs on wed and thurs/Saturday. The plan alternates the Thursday and Saturday. If its a Saturday it's an off road run (need the daylight). On Wednesdays and Thursdays I've got planned a rotation of speed sessions, intervals, and hills.

Doing 2 runs a week between now and end of November, then 3 in December until the plan starts on the 17th December.

I have just ordered advanced marathon running from amazon for some inspiration....feel like if I don't sub 4 this time I'll retire!
  • DLR - what you have just posted strikes a chord with me. In each of my 3 marathons I've never missed one session...in that if I missed one, I'd miss at least two. But if I went a couple of weeks not missing one, my motivation for going out got stronger - almost as if I was on a roll and didn't want to lose it.

I'm weak too. In that when I trained for London I had a buddy doing it too - wouldn't miss a session if he was coming out as didn't want to let him down. But if he called to say he couldn't make it, invariably I'd miss it too - usually convinced myself a swim would be just as good...
  • SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's like the marital love dance - if you go too long without you get out of the rhythm. Should I do the equivalent of drinking a couple of glasses of wine and just get on with it? I mean... should I just pull myself together and get my running shoes on.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    SP13 wrote (see)

Maybe it's like the marital love dance - if you go too long without you get out of the rhythm. Should I do the equivalent of drinking a couple of glasses of wine and just get on with it? I mean... should I just pull myself together and get my running shoes on.

If i'm struggling - then I tell myself before going to bed - you're getting up at 5am and YOU WILL GO FOR A RUN... normally -that's enough for my sub conscious and I end up running!

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

This is really helping - I am so glad I have shared this. I am going to put my clothes out ready and get out whatever happens... then clothes ready in the morning so by the time I am awake I am already half way out the door.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - I'd certainly recommend at leat one other 20 mile LSR in your plan. Maybe switch up one of your 18's to a 20. Not sure if you can fit it in, but I also find doing a regular midweek 9/10 mile run makes a bif difference with building up your stamina. Although by the looks of it you are a far more natural athlete than me as I'd be closer to 5 hours than 4 following your plan and mileage.

SP13 - Get out there is the best way to go for motivation. I tend to when I have no motivation to get out if I force myself to get the trainers on and out the door. once I'm out and running I'm fine.

DLR - Agree with that. I think once you get in the flow of a training schedule you want to keep building on what you've done and not let it go to waste. If you miss a session I think mentally sometimes you start to doubt what you've already done and think missing another session isn't going to make a difference.

• SP - I say to myself that I write the ending to my story. I can either write that I got out there and did the run, or I can write that I didn't get out there and sat in the house instead. I use it in races as well - I can either go home and tell everyone that I got a PB or I can go home and tell everyone that I didn't.

Emmy - GNMC rule number 47 - Thou shalt not run GSR if thy ankle is bad. Thou shalt adopt a walk-walk strategy or let thy mum beat you.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Emmy - GNMC rule number 47 - Thou shalt not run GSR if thy ankle is bad. Thou shalt adopt a walk-walk strategy or let thy mum beat you.

Thou is right. It'll be a slow one but i'm sure that my mum will beat meimage I'm going to have fun, high 5 kids and sing as loud as I can the way around.