Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Yer Maj: that's very sobering. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

What is this your all 'speaking' about ???

Some sort of calculations on what your running weight and times should be.

• Ok. I've stopped cherry picking lines and going "WHAT!!!!" and worked it out properly.

If I do the recomended 55 miles a week in the build up and remain at my comfortable (but stocky) 12 stone my calculated time for the marathon is 3:02.

Using the 'mile pace ratio' my half marathon time should be 1:27. This sounds feasable(ish) as my pb is currently 1:32 on about 30 miles a week training.

I have therfore decided that the calculations are right! So all I have to do now is run 55 miles a week and loose 3 pounds and I'll do a sub 3:00! Wooohooo!!! image

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

What is this your all 'speaking' about ???

Some sort of calculations on what your running weight and times should be.

This;  http://www.valleystriders.org.uk/calcmar1.htm

• By heck thats complicated, but I am 3 stone over race weight, and If I ever were race weight my half would be about 1.23 and mara 2.54............yeah right..........Miracles don't happen in my life!!!

• Crumbs - it's going to be quicker for me just to go out and run 26.2 than sit and work all that out.

Note to self... put humidityometer on Christmas wish list.

• Emmy_H wrote (see)

((Yer_maj)). Thank you for the offer...i'm going to lay with my leg up in the air relaxing! image

((Kaz)) - Could they send you an email? My doctor loves doing that for results.

Thank you for the wise words Daniirr and MM.

@Danirr - I'm not sure that's what she means by minimalistimage

kaz1 wrote (see)

The results are in...........and thankfully they are negative for diabetes but my anaemia is worse, a count of 7.8??? But he said something on the phone about iron not being absorbed???

I'd take that as a really good result Kaz!

I have a very dim recollection that iron is best absorbed in the company of vitamin C.  Ok, it might not be vitamin C but I'm sure there is a mineral or vitamin that is really important for aiding absorbtion of iron....

Might just be a case of tweaking diet composition or timing and maybe some supplements. 

yer_maj wrote (see)

Erm that means I should weigh 8 stone 6.  I didn't weigh that when I was born...image

Your mam must be one tough mama! image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

yer_maj wrote (see)

Erm that means I should weigh 8 stone 6.  I didn't weigh that when I was born...image

Your mam must be one tough mama! image

She's Welsh...

• DLR - I am taking that as excellent news!! Iron does need vitamin c to help absorbtion but apparently my coeliac disease could also be having an effect on it??? A lot of diet tweaking and some extra supplements are in order I think. Increasing vitamin c intake as well as whatever else they are going to give me??image I am the first to admit my diet is very poor due, partly due to the coeliac disease and dairy intolerance and the fear I developed of food a few years back. I tend to stick with the same things daily as I know they are 'safe'. I simply don't like meat in any shape or form, although I do eat poultry but am allergic to fish...........any Ideas anyone???

• Hello Lovelies,

Still recovering from the cold - wanted to do something spectacular on Sunday - weather forecast is 3 degrees C (brrrrr) will have to settle for doing Something.

On the subject of motivation i think one needs to be pre-program oneself to be running every other day. So on the day that you run you are not worrying about whether you can do it or not - you need to be fitting your normal daily life stuff around that run. .I found it has worked well for me the last 6 months. Obviously we have demanding life, jobs, kids etc but you just have to tell yourself the run is non-negotiable - even if its only a quick run it only takes 20 mins - in reality once you get out on the 20 minute run and warmed up you can knock 10K with your eyes shut even if you have a dirty hangover and you've been up since KOC and crunching numbers all day to get the year end finished at work. An hour or just over out of your working day is not a big ask. Plus i have found running home from work has been a great help. On one of those i do my speed work and the other one i go a different way and do hill work. Anyway what i am saying is motivation to train is high for me - like the others said its a drug i need to keep taking otherwise it might run out. 

If i feel the same in 9-10 months time when i am knuckling down for a second marathon only time will tell. I hope i'm still up for it.

• but try and avoid the hangover - drinking beers don't help yer running (but it sure as hell tastes good after a race)

• Ward 6 wrote (see)

I have therfore decided that the calculations are right! So all I have to do now is run 55 miles a week and loose 3 pounds and I'll do a sub 3:00! Wooohooo!!! image

jeez, how bout i drive 55 miles a week and stick 3 quid on the Gunners to win the prem? does that mean i can have a sub3 please? 

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Ward 6 wrote (see)

jeez, how bout i drive 55 miles a week and stick 3 quid on the Gunners to win the prem? does that mean i can have a sub3 please? 

It has about the same chance of success!!!

• Kaz - good news about the blood glucose being ok but you are pretty anaemic, and if the GP said the iron stores are low, it may be a question of requiring iron supplements. These are usually oral (but can be given in injected form in some people).

Frankly, you finished a marathon in 4hr4 when anaemic. You are superwoman - but no more, despite the compulsion to run/exert yourself you'll be feeling. Take it easy, follow the doctor's advice (yes, I know, but still) and take pride in an incredible achievement on Sunday.

Is the GP planning any other tests?

Iain

• Iain - Thanx, re more tests I am not sure........I have an appointment on Monday?? I have been on oral iron 3x daily for sometime now(probably about 3 years) but it never improves, its getting worse???

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

Hello Lovelies,

Still recovering from the cold - wanted to do something spectacular on Sunday - weather forecast is 3 degrees C (brrrrr) will have to settle for doing Something.

On the subject of motivation i think one needs to be pre-program oneself to be running every other day. So on the day that you run you are not worrying about whether you can do it or not - you need to be fitting your normal daily life stuff around that run. .I found it has worked well for me the last 6 months. Obviously we have demanding life, jobs, kids etc but you just have to tell yourself the run is non-negotiable - even if its only a quick run it only takes 20 mins - in reality once you get out on the 20 minute run and warmed up you can knock 10K with your eyes shut even if you have a dirty hangover and you've been up since KOC and crunching numbers all day to get the year end finished at work. An hour or just over out of your working day is not a big ask. Plus i have found running home from work has been a great help. On one of those i do my speed work and the other one i go a different way and do hill work. Anyway what i am saying is motivation to train is high for me - like the others said its a drug i need to keep taking otherwise it might run out. 

If i feel the same in 9-10 months time when i am knuckling down for a second marathon only time will tell. I hope i'm still up for it.

3 degrees is perfect weather TJB!

You're right on the programming. 

Am away for the next week (and offline) but I'm taking books, pen and paper and by the end of the week I want to have a plan for the next 11 months - general plan for mileage but very specific for various elements of cross training (core, upper body strength, glutes/lower body strength, flexibility, non-running cardio, drills, massage etc).  Doing Berlin more or less means 18 months training going through to Paris 2014 and I want to get myself in strongest shape possible to get through that.

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Is the GP planning any other tests?

Only to check she isn't half machineimage

Kaz - you need to build your diet around Guiness & Sag aloo curry.

• DLtotheR: 3 degrees means i got to warm up well and go off quick .... but hope the cold air doesn't play havoc with my asthma.

Kaz, don't forget the red meat - the iron absorption is the best. I eat 3-4 bags of raw spinach a week to compensate from the iron i miss out on from cutting the red meat down to 1 portion a week max. But i am cutting down on cholesterol. If i were you i'd be on the beef cassarole, roast leg of lamb, sheperds pie, fillet steak, mousaka, lasagne and bolagnaise every week mmmmmmmmm (making me so hungry talking about it)

• TJB - Your making me feel sickimageimageimage

Smoked bacon is all the meat I will eat.......eggs I love but keep getting told about the cholesterol(not that I have a problem but heart problems run on dads side of the family)..........broccoli, turkey, rice milk made into coffee, some salad on nice days(too cold this time of year)...................some vitamins daily and that my very varied diet!!!! oh....and a bar of dark chocolate a week( can only stomach 1 square at a time!!image)   I am very healthyimageimage

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Motivation - for me, I have to have a specific goal - that's why I sign up for stuff far in advance. Also, I find heavier mileage keeps me more motivated than low mileage.

Iron absorption from the gut is a complex thing. Probably much poorer than previously thought. But obviously very important. I too do the spinach thing as I'm a seldom red-meat eater - spinach daily in a fruit smoothie - hope it's helping.

On the coeliac disease topic - I was pleasantly surprised in Toronto to find 3 gluten free restaurants within 2 blocks of my hotel. I am not in need, but it's nice to know that it' starting to take on - pity Paris didn't have one last year TD!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

One square of chocolate at a time, sounds like me*.

*If by square you mean family sized bar!!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - It must be taking off more on that side of the pond, as I noticed a few places in Chicago and New York advertising gluten free dishes.

Although it may be more common over here these days, but being a social leper I rarely eat out in Glasgow anymore.

• Dannir - deffo agree need races booked up as well. And spinach i eat the stuff like a bag of crisps, i don't like it drippy- it needs be straight out of the bag. (or in a curry) I hope it helps - there's not really much to it.

Kaz1- i'm on the healthy road these days  - and my body has thanked me for it! lunches of fish, olives ,spinach and sushi packs has replaced the toasted ciabatas dripping in mozzerella and brie. I am a sucker for Sainsburys Marainated anchovies from the deli counter plus my new treat is M&S Super Nut, Fruit & Sead Flapjack. Costs a quid - tastes like a million quid - quite hearty so tend to nibble at it throughout the afternoon with cups of tea. Allergic to eggs but miss them like mad - take real care and pride making them for the kids but 28 years after the anaphylactic shock i won't go backimage

• Dannir: oh year, also been on some wheat & gluton free products. I don't really suffer from eating those things but i feel less bloated after eating a plate of say the pasta compared to the normal stuff.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

The interesting thing to me was these were not restaurants with some gluten free dishes - the entire menu is gluten free. And they were well patronised.

Perhaps placebo effect, but the biggest dietary improvment to how my legs feel was adding more protein to my diet.

• Kaz - as soon as I heard you say anaemia, I thought about your gluten intolerance. My understanding is that the small intenstine is the primary place for Iron absorption in the body, but this is also the place where we suffer damage from gluten ingestion. Long exposure to gluten can tenmporarily reduce the small intestinal effectiveness and it can take a couple of years of a GF diet to recover the full function.

I think there are a number of secondary diseases which Coeliac sufferers can have due to this inability to properly ingest certain nutrients such as calcium. Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Dan - Did you spot that you're countryman Tim Noakes now seems to be advocating a high protein, virtually zero carbs diet?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

A lot of research seems to pointing towards paleo type diets in terms of protien to carb ratios being what the average person should be eating. Some being more shouty in the all grain is evil and we shouldn't be eating it camp.

To be honest I still think we have little idea of how certain foods and diets really affect us. I find it hard to read any food based research without being cynical.

• Johnny, no Bramley isn't flat a couple of undulations but nothing to worry about if you build hill sessions into your training. This is coming from someone who used to hate hills but I've started hill training since I did Bramley this Feb. It will be interesting to see how much I've improved when I do it again next year.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Only slightly (very slightly) running related - went to see Skyfall today and it was excellent.

And now for the running bit. Daniel Craig has a very upright running style reminiscent of Robert Patrick in Terminator 2 image