Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• I don't know enough about it and don't read books about food and diet - i am lucky to have a wife who works in gastroenterology so she tells me whats good/bad etc - she doesnt always practice what she preaches mind you! (Cadburys fiend that she is!) - since i changed my eating habits i am not taking excessive carbs with a meal - or extra bread on the side and i don't feel "full" after the meal. But you're not supposed to feel "full" - when you feel like that you've eaten too much. Now i'm taking on a higher amount of protein, chicken fish, nuts , pulses etc

But what say all you Seasoned experienced marathon Runners about packing in the pasta for the week leading up to the race - cause i don't feel like i want to do that? ?

• Orbutt: ha ha - any good?

• TJB - I don't know much about it, but I have read that you don't need to pack in the carbs the week before, maybe slightly increase the two days before but thats it. As I read it, the reason is that as you are training less your muscles are replenished of the glycogen that they would be using in training normally so there is no need to carb load as such??? Someone else will be along shortly to tell you different?!?!?

TD - Thanks, I eagerly await my appointment on Monday.........I have a feeling it is maybe going to involve needles but hopefully I will be wrong!!image

• Funnily enough, was talking about that very same thing TJB earlier today, how when I'm fit and in the zone I tend to naturally eat smaller meals and after a few weeks can't finish some restaurant meals as there's just a ridiculous amount of food in them.  I do think it takes a week or two of normality before you start noticing it though.

As for carb loading, initially I was obsessive and tried to eat a mass of carbs in the days before a marathon based on some recomendations for g/carbs per kg/bodyweight, majoring on bread, pasta and bagels.  Unfortunately though it just left me feeling sluggish, queasy and incredibly uncomfortable with bloating.

For Paris this year I didn't consume the same quantity and tried to ingest what I did have more evenly with snacking on dried fruits and juices.  In the 2 days before I also skipped the pasta/bread and opted for 2 rice based meals and a small pizza at the night before thread meal.  Felt far more comfortable and seemingly no detriment to performance.

I don't think i'm truly gluten intolerant but it's fair to say my body struggles to process any great quantity of wheat.  Considering trying to limit consumption but don't feel I'd need to or really benefit from complete abstinence.

• Orbutt wrote (see)

And now for the running bit. Daniel Craig has a very upright running style reminiscent of Robert Patrick in Terminator 2 image

Was he the T1000 (the one who often morphed into a traffic cop)? 

If so imagine how he'd walk with a full bladder and desperately seeking a public loo.  Apparently that's how I walk normally. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

That's the one. Again, you put an incredibly disturbing picture in my head image

• kaz1 wrote (see)

Iain - Thanx, re more tests I am not sure........I have an appointment on Monday?? I have been on oral iron 3x daily for sometime now(probably about 3 years) but it never improves, its getting worse???

Hope there aren't too many needles on Monday! As Dannirr and TD state, there are malabsorption states associated with coeliac - and iron supplements are notoriously poorly absorbed even in people without coeliac... Hope you get it sorted. Have a quiet weekend!

Orbutt wrote (see)

Only slightly (very slightly) running related - went to see Skyfall today and it was excellent.

And now for the running bit. Daniel Craig has a very upright running style reminiscent of Robert Patrick in Terminator 2 image

Orbutt - I loved T2. Like, the best movie experience I think I have ever had. I remain unconvinced by Craig as Bond - I do like him as an actor though. I have tickets for Wednesday and can't wait. Judi Dench I believe has a much more central role - she is a wonderful M. Was it Craig's first Bond that had all the free-running?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I must confess to being one of the few men in the UK that isn't much of a Bond fan. The Skyfall trailer looks decent though, but most Bond films all blend into the same movie to me!

• Just spent the afternoon watching two old Bond movies with my youngest son. As you say Eggy, they just seemed to merge together. Nice way to spend a wild, wintry afternoon though.

And I'm another one that can only manage one square of chocolate at a time. A square foot!
  • Johnny - agree with Eggy you could swap one of those 18 milers for a 20 miler, and that would give you a better base. I also wouldn't run either of the half marathons flat out, but treat them as training runs - especially the second one. I'd personally also build in a really easy week somewhere amongst the high mileage, just because I know there's bound to be a week when everything goes wrong, or you get a cold. There are people here who know much more about this stuff than me, but it looks like the basis of a sound plan.

Kaz - I have no advice that doesn't involve spinach, but do look after yourself.

Yer_maj - you have been having a time of it, haven't you? Clearly you need a project to cheer you up. See if you can do this to your kittens over the weekend.

/members/images/13234/Gallery/bat.JPG

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR - it's not my kittens who would do that but our big girl Tilly who is pure black and, I swear, is a shape shifter....

• busy busy busy on here!

TD - good night and good luck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNq8LoYjG2E right at the end.

Kaz - I've been taking this stuff.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitabiotics-Feroglobin-B12-Supplement-Liquid-200ml/dp/B001RYQJI0 don't know if it'd help you though.  I like the liquid and it's easy on my stomach.

YM - image for your friend.  Will add it to the hug list for next week.

Emmy - look after that ankle!

Dannir - look after that foot!

DLR - back in your box ol' man!

RR - that kitten is awesome!!!

I am in for Berlin. "Ich bin ein Berliner" hee hee hee.  Madness how quickly it filled up.  I think this marathon thing is catching on.  I think there is a thread already for berlin...called Berlin marathonimage or are we going to go paris centric and confuse the hell out of everyone else with a paris berlin thread? image

well, this week I have eaten, drunk and slept and am still knackered.  This weekend will be more sleeping, me thinks.  I'm absolutely cream crackered!

• Pfft. Old man indeed.  In 2013 I'll be in the shape of my life.  And that shape will not be 'round'.

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Pfft. Old man indeed.  In 2013 I'll be in the shape of my life.  And that shape will not be 'round'.

for some reason I'm thinking of one of these now: http://www.tupperware.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/AUS/website/productgallery/productcollections/tuppercarekeepers/shape-o

• Then treat yourselfimage

Just massaged my leg with arnica oil.  I love the smell of arnica in the morning*.  It smells like...training.

*Or in this case evening

• I bought a new footpod last week as I'd evidently thrown the old one away, still attached to my ageing Boston 3s which were fit for slinging.

I've just found the Boston 3s and footpod under the bed...

...seems I have a spare footpod.

• RS - i already browsed a couple of other berlin threads but quickly came back as i felt like i was being unfaithful (althopugh i did notice a couple of ours that appear to enjoy playing away from home - ahem)

dithered on a flight to Berlin yesterday and now its gone up £40 - do you guys think its worth waiting for Easyjet?

• I couldn't have imagined Easyjet being any cheaper than Lufthansa were from Manchester, but i guess it depends on what price you're looking at now.

• i need to get in early on the saturday - the easyjet flights arnet up yet for that date, i dithered on £150 return with BA and now im kickin meself!

• So up to £190 now?  Easyjet has got to be cheaper than that!

• yeah - plus the easyjet gets you in a bit earlier (assuming the timetable stays the same) .... got to go from airport straight to expo when i arrive. Then come and meet you lot for pre-race fun and frollicking (or a cup of tea or something) - anyone done the easyjet option into berlin before?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jimbob - As with any event you plan to travel too just make sure you have plenty of time to get to the expo and pick up your bib. I've read too many panicking posts on the forum of folk with tight time-scales or flight times changing/delays getting in a flap about it.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DLR - indeed Dr Noakes is now a high protein, low carber.  I have been for many years (weight loss plan initially) and really only go for complex carbs now. 

Foot is essentially healed. Plan on trying it out on a 15 miler tomorrow morning - slow one though. BRF is gering up for long runs for the Disney mara so I said I'll accompany her. I think it might even be a run/walk.

I am a Bond fan, and I like Daniel Craig a lot. But Ms Densch is a favourite. In everything she does.

One more weekend of work, then London. Can't wait!

• RS - I knew you must have been doping.

Jimbob - easyjet currently fly to Schonefeld, an airport that makes Glasgow's airport look welcoming. But, it's easy into the centre in the s-bahn. However, all Berlin flights next year will be into the new combined Berlin Brandenburg airport. I think it'll be pretty easy to get into town from there too.

It'll be great.
  • I'm hearin ya Egmeister - hence trying to nail down a flight that gets me in first thing - dont want be getting to the expo at 3 or 4 in the afternoon .... can't bare doing stuff last minute. Always preaching to the missis about trying to cram in loads of things when you are on a tight schedule - e.g getting a hair appointment the morning you are due to drive a long distance with the family! (thats happened)

• but if the flight got cancelled then i'd be up shxt creek without a paddle!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I run with an armband for my phone/music (always have my phone - nature of my work!) and on long runs or races I also need a place for fuel.  Just found this and it looks like a great solution for everything, and gets rid of the armband:

http://www.flipbelt.com/

• Anyone else stuck at work on their sixth hour of unpaid overtime?

Anyone?

Just me then

I need a new job image

• Weedy - you do. Safe home. Newcastle is currently blanketed with snow. Ah, Winter is here. And the clocks haven't even changed yet!

Dannirr - that belt looks good but can't find a UK stockist. Will continue with my ironic Iron Man hydration belt (when I get back to proper running) I think...
  • Jimbob - last 2 years I've gotten to the Berlin expo at 4-5pm on the Sat. It's fine, so well organised - but I've learnt it's good to have a chilled day prior to the marathon. I'm heading out on Thursday evening in 2013, I hope.