Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    RS - hope you feel better soon - good to go to the doc. There is, of course, that other diagnosis that would also lead to the same symptoms....it's usually self limiting, assuming you have the patience to wait the 9 months it takesimage

yeah, the doc asked me that too and unless there's a new saviour coming, I'm sure I'll be just fine in 9 months. image Otherwise bow down to me, I am your new giant spagetti monster.

Sorry - must be the kind of work I do that made me type that.

• Options

I'm up at kaz o'clock...  busy day ahead....

On my barefoot run yesterday evening I did notice that the air temp and ground temp seemed noticeably cooler.   My toes actually felt cold after the first 10 minutes...  it was a reminder to me that maybe we have been spoiled with having some sunshine and that our usual depressing miserable weather is ahead of us once again......

The barefoot running is still progressing nicely.  It's only into week 2, so early days yet, and I'm still only doing 2 x 10 minutes per day...    but so far I feel good and no negative effects...   the run forces a good foot strike and I am very much aware of the improvements in my technique...  

• Options
    Good morning DV!

Bloody heck it's blowing a gale here and so cold. Winter gear on and 10k to doimage

Only 1 more 6am start after today!!! But I will still be up early!! image
  • Options

Winter gear on already..?    On geez....  image

• Options
    Crikey. I'm actually having a conversation at KOC. Lunacy reigns image

Good morning crew. Am off out to improve my foot strike. Ok, I'm going to work can't sleep. Am dressed in running gear, bright orange. Will go the gym at 07:30 and don a suit after. Wishing you all a fab day.
  • Options
    1:47:18 was my official time, over 20 mins slower than last year. I must be getting fat or somethingimage
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I wish I'd logged on when I first got up...there's a kaz-o'clock party going on image

DV, what about..err...worms? Just thinking about cold, wet grass, early morning+bare feet is giving me the heebee-jeebies..

Well done on the race TD.It's good to see you're back out there.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

* P.S. Not running or working. image 'Can't sleep because of chlorine-aftermath...* I'm sorry to see that dawn is getting later and later..

• Options

ATM - me tooo........I hate that its getting darker in the mornings.image +1 for the heebee-jeebies of barefoot running.

What an awful morning. Strong winds and torrential rain. My face feels like its been sandblasted(I think!!)image Just hoping it'll be good for the complection(sp??).

Better stop skyvin and do some work or I will be getting my phone confiscatedimage

• Options
    image apparently sleep is for wimps...

I'm afraid autumn is definitely coming. I can always tell, because I notice my hair is starting to fall out. It used to worry me, until I realised it happened at the same time every year. I can only assume I'm getting ready to grow my winter coat.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sign me up as a wimp, 4am starts aren't happening for me.

• Options

Dannirr - do you see babies? Are they everywhere? (in sixth sense freaky kid style)image

Hand straight up with exceptional vigour.  I'm a WIMP!  Show me the sleep!  The KOC club is getting bigger and bigger.  I'm tempted to get up while the sun rises are still early...but then again...sleep is my friend.

What's a semi-normal resting HR rate? Doc asked me yesterday what mine was and I didn't have a clue (only track it when I'm running).  So checked this morning, is 54 bpm alright?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - my resting HR (very calm, just about to drop off to sleep, resting) is usually about 53 - and I'm pleased with that. I once had it at 49 but that was a one off, I think.

• Options

Interesting...have had my morning coffee and it's now up to 62 bpm. image I'd like to know what the real coffee addicts fluctuate between.  That's using my finger on neck and a clock for 30 sec count.  Am getting a little interested now so might crack out the garmin.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    RS - 53 is perfectly normal for an athlete. Mine s 46 and I'd guess TD and folk like him have theirs in the high 30's. Non athletes are around 65-75.. Babies are 120-160.
  • Options
    Dannirr - are you presently in the US? Doesn't that mean you're kaz-o'clocking too?!

Doing research - and lots if running - a few years ago I had a resting GR of about 40. Ah, heady days. It's about 60 currently. However, I've become totally caffeine-addicted since..,
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Iain - yes, Kaz O'clock for me although not to run, just could not sleep. Rest day for me today. No running and no work!
  • Options

Kaz - 39?!?!  WOW!

Dannirr - cool.  I'm not too much of a freak then, well HR wize.  Good to know.  Another one for the KOC club? hee hee hee.

Iain - GR? What you got ticking in there?

• Options

My resting pulse these days (I present myself as undertrained) is 44. Usually it is around 40bpm. After my op when I had been paralysed from the waist down, I was at 39 (drug influence of total lack of movement being the predominant factor?). Apparently when I had a general anaesthetic a few years ago, I was ticking over at 32 but that's not normal for me. I once read that the legendary Spanish cyclist Miguel Indurain had a genuine RHR of 28bpm!!

RS - IIRC, 'normal' RHR for a male is 72bpm and for a laydeee, it is 78bpm. The lower HR tends to reflect the volume of the heart and is a useful indicator of fitness (but not necessarily).

Was great having 90mins at work in a silent office, then an hour workout in the gym BEFORE starting the working day. Not going to make this into a habit though.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You lot have been miighty busy while I've been away image

2.5 weeks to go until Glasgow....just back from a  40 minute tempo run.  I can hold my pace at 10 seconds/km faster than I could at the beginning of the training image (TD I shall email you a proper update today).  Much as I would love to think I could hit the 2 hour mark in Cardiff I don't think it's realistic. so my targets are now officially 2:10 for Glasgow and 2:05 for Cardiff.  2:05 would be a 14:31 pb so I shall endeavour to make myself happy with that if I hit it!

• Options

RS -Still on the subject of HR, I think I am abnormal. A couple of years ago, I was in hospital for a wee op. Hooked up to the machines and the bloody alarms kept going off. They told me it was something to do with the readings being so low - and that was before theatre?!?!?! So my low reading has nothing to do with fitness  I think!

The mist  has  cleared, the rain stopped and now lovely sunshine although still windy. I regret doing my run this morning and I am tempted to do another tonight.image

• Options

What were you all doing up in the middle of the night??? Lunancy I tells you.

I. didn't go to bed until half two this morning, I was out festivalling like a young thing (oooooh). And I got up at 8 to make it into work for 10. Now 6 hours sleep is a proper long lie by KOC standards but I'm amazed I'm still awake and functioning. Some people work best on 4 hours sleep, I seem to need 9 or 10image. I like my sleep!

TD you are a machine. So impressed.

RS hope your doc sorts you out.

• Options
    TD - bradycardia post-op fairly standard stuff, drug related; wears off fairly rapidly.

Kaz - I suspect you are mildly bradycardic normally but you do train a lot. This is not a bad thing. The HR (sorry RS, not GR!) readings mentioned by TD are of course averages calculated across large populations.

Yer maj - great running. Still want to know what a snagging list is!
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

When you buy a newly built house you visit just before you move in and make a snagging list - a list of all the "small" jobs that need to be finished off or sorted out before you move in...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I had an op' a couple of years ago and got the routine heart-thingy-with-wires-attached -to-old-lady, before. The technician checked the readings a couple of times and then asked' Are you a runner?'.It was my proudest moment...image

Iain, I'm so glad  that the time-chip is now embedded in the bib.Otherwise, snagging-list attached to clipboard, I'd be round to your hotel the night before to make sure your chip was already cable-tied to your shoe....

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

She'll be checking you've brushed your teeth n'all...

• Options

hee hee hee, bradycardia does it sing and have lots of children?

ATM - sweet!  I'd be so proud if someone asked that.  I'd already babbled to doc about not being able to run far.  I've brushed this morning!

• Options

I have a new word to show off to my mates. Bradycardia. I shall place it down carefully next to it's older brother Superventricular Tachycardia image Cheers Iain.

Time to go home. Tonight I'm eating frites, which is posh for chips. Happens about 4x year. Tonight's the night. Hope it works on the DOMS I've inherited from yesterday.

'Snagging list' is all the remaining little jobs you have to clear up at the end of a big project. Which in Yer_Maj's case and this context, the small matter of running a sub 4 hour marathon next April in Paris.