Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Cheers Iain - am half an hour south of Newcastle. It's all a bit mental. It'll be raining frogs next.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Iain - I'm goona try it out in the morning. If it's great, I'll be happy to order and send it over to you (or anyone else) - it folds flat enough and is very light - will go in an envelope easily.

• It does look pretty smart Danniir.

I particularly like the little testimonial on the website that says : 'no bulge that comes with a fanny'

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Ian Moore 2, it's a white out at the coast too- and I'm volunteering at the Whitley Bay parkrun- bad call image

• DLR - ????

OO - I'm at work would be there this morning too. Good luck, stay warm. Better go scrape off the car.
  • Its freezing here, snow snow and more snow...........And yet another lie in for me!imageimage Sore throat and bleary eyed this morning thou ..........grrrrrr

Iain - I am also planning to arrive in Berlin on the Thursday evening, if nothing else to make sure I have plenty of time to rest and not a repeat of this weekend.

And also means I can take the ferry to Aberdeen on Wednesday night if finances don't allow me to fly first thing on the Thursday?? See lots of thinking been going on!!!!image

Flights from Aberdeen by Lufthansa at the moment about 160 but KLM haven't released the dates for the return flights yet.....and they have better times??? Hopefully there prices won't be escalated when they are released???image

• Hmmm....how heavy is it?  After going to the gym I'm driving for a week in Bamburgh...in a BMW image

• Arrive in Berlin about 9.30 on the Friday, straight to the expo, then fly back at 07:00 on Tuesday (ouch).

• DLR - that was meant to be a smiley face. Doesn't work with iPhones I see. The snow is manageable even in a Beemer. Do you have winter tyres? I'm pleased mine are on today...

Dannirr - incredibly generous as always! Let us know your review. (I imagine the US website will do UK delivery to save your stamps!)
  • Ah, the perils of rear-wheel drive. I feel your pain.

Talking of pain - first run for me this morning since Sunday. I wonder if my legs still work? I feel oddly confused not having a training plan to follow. How far should I run? What speed? I could do a bit extra. Or a bit less. It's all very odd.

Iain - you need this page http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/website-bugs/for-the-smiley-deprived/168472.html
  • Flights are now loading telling me £158 but won't let you purchase cos too far in advance??image

• hee hee hee, the smiley deprived. imageimageimageimageimageimage I could do more but that'd just be gloating.

snow?!?!?!  WHERE?!?!?  snow is FUN!  SNOW DAY!  SQUIRREL! (random reference for "up" in order to convey my enthusiasim concerning snow).

RR - 10 kms with 5*1km intervals at 5 km page.image Go somewhere scenic and toodle. you're a sub 4hr marathon runner and deserve it (yes, I will keep continually mentioning this and you can't stop me) image  I'm plotting my running school programme.  hmm...speed school...

• Kaz - how's it going? Can't give you any advice on food I'm afraid - I'm a bit clueless in that respect (amongst many other things)

Yer Maj and SP - Ditto - how's it going?

Emmy - Ditto - how ist thy ankle? (GNMC rule no 83: Thou shalt not fib)

Everyone else - Ditto - how are you all?

DLR - Driving for a week in Bamburgh? It's a tiny place. How slowly do you drive?

OO - Whitley Bay's cold enough in the middle of summer, never mind in the snow.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Wow... What a journey to Surrey! Snow blizzard, more snow, gusts of wind blowing you across the motorway... Not nice at times..... And may I mention how cold it is?! It was -7 this morning image

Hope everyone is doing ok - is anyone running Dublin or Frankfurt this weekend?

Thanks to everyone who asked - ankle is a little tender but ok. It's weird - it's a little tender where it want yesterday :/

How is everyone else doing?
  • Emmy - Glad you've got there safely. Take care with the ankle.....

Weedy - Thanx..........I seem to be plannning constantly since I have nothing else to do at the moment! Going to watch the yearly 'Beach Race' tomorrow( scrambling) then back to work on Monday.........

RS - Thanks for that link.

RR - Enjoy you run.......just enjoy.......

I am thinking about being bad and going out on Monday pm with a local running group.....Not really into that type of thing, but the thought of going on my own is kindo freaking me out..........It would only be 5k or something??? Failing that me and junior could go together and just run at the back??? Then I could use her as an excuse to stop if needed?!?!?

• @weedy- know how unpaid overtime feels.... Although no such thing exists for me as i have a professional day to do.... That is why the training took a hammering.

Rest today so mrs sr out at koc for first run since breaking her toe. Could have picked abetter morning for itimage
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It's jolly cold here this morning - also volunteering at our parkrun but no snow, just sunshine image

Kaz - Febo of this parish has just joined our running club and loves it...she's on a mission to get me to join too but I am resisting...

• Iain - never considered winter tyres, chiefly as I know little of them!  What's the advantages/costs/uses?

Weedy - I'll probably stop regularly at tea shops during the day and a different B&B each nightimage

RS - Running school?

yer_maj - I thought you could resist everything except temptation?

Right I'm off, see you in a week.  It's my birthday on Friday but in these challenging economic times I don't want anyone to spend too much on me so please limit alll individual gifts to £200.  Thanks.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

DLR - I put winter tyres on my car last year for the first time as when we go skiing we always drive down.  They are good in any weather when the temperature is below 5 degrees - I noticed a difference in rain and driving in snow was great - didn't need the chains at all until we needed to drive up a steep hill to the apartment.  I'll get them put back on in the next couple of weeks and ;leave them on until March.

Of course I can resist temptation...image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Been told by the physio no running for me for the next 3 to 6 weeks. image

If it is six weeks I may have to severely revise my predicted time goal for Paris. That would be nine weeks of no running after Chicago! Six weeks would also take me into the start of what should be the beginning of my Paris training plan.

Seems I have two issues both on the right side. My right hip flextor is very tight and what is thought to be a groin strain also on the right-hand side (although apparently a small hernia isn't being ruled out). I've been given plenty of stretching exercises to do over the next few weeks. I was also told to avoid using the bike as well. I'm going to be horrifically out of shape due to this.

So much for my plans of speed work in preperation for getting back to marathon training.

DLR - Enjoy your time away and your birthday.

• Snow tyres when below 5 degrees........probably should be using them the whole time year!!

Eggy - That not so good, hopefully it'll heal quicker than anticipated with complete rest. Now be a good boy and do what you are told! Yoga???

DLR - Enjoy your break, and Happy Birthday for Friday. Enjoy being 21 again!

Important matter - How long is everyone planning to stay in Paris for after the marathon??

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - It'll be a short Paris trip for me. Fly in on Friday and leave on the Monday.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We're going tp be there until Wednesday

• Wednesday is the important day!!! image  But internet-daughter would argue that Thursday is the most important!!!

I just wondered if anyone would still be around for coffee or lunch?? We are staying out until the Friday, but there are some plans made already - youngest wants Asterik Park and the eldest want to go to Aqua - whatever, and then there is talk about Versaille????

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yeah we'll be up for meeting up - we'll have Joe with us as well

• Sorry to hear this Eggy but I wouldn't be worrying about Paris just yet. The rest may actually do you the world of good in terms of restoring appetite for hard training.

DLR. Winter tyres have softer compounds and generally work more effectively, typically from 8C and below compared to regular tyres. They usually also have tread patterns which provide greater rate of water clearing and grip in snow conditions. I've also got a rear wheel drive car made in an adjacent country to where I live and the snow tyres make a world of difference to grip levels.

As you change them in and out for your normal tyres, there's a marginal cost for extra tyre wear, so the only real cost advantage is having to pay to get them swapped around twice a year. But safety benefits are huge, plus you get your tyres checked over more often. Am putting winter tyres on my wife's car this week at my own expense.nhappy birthday. The girl in the cake on roller skates is in the post. Please let me know if she doesn't arrive.
  • Flying to Paris Saturday AM on the silly o'clock Air France flight. (From Newcastle if any of the Geordies here are on the same one and want a Saturday breakfast meet-up). Back Monday afternoon.

• Driving down is current favourite plan with an overnight stop part way. Then back on the monday
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @kaz - I hate to think how cold it is up with you if it's this cold down here!

@eggy - ill keep things crossed for you. As TD says - don't rule out Paris.

I've been out today to buy a pair of gloves and a hat... I think I'll need it!

Ended up resting my ankle with my parents so am keeping it easy.