Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK, I'm back... and I think I've caught up with the thread!

MG09 - Welcome to the madhouse.. i mean thread!
    @Jimbob - well done on the PB - i've heard lots of mixed reviews about RTTB and especially about the bag drop. Last year it was also appalling.
    @DV/RS  - I've breached the subject about cycling this weekend to hubby and he happened to remind me that i've not spent a weekend at home in over 8 weeks image I'm still working on him ;0) @RS - how would you plan to get your bike back to london? Train?
    @Kaz1 - Well done on the fantastic day. I'm sure that ex sees how happy you are and that's the important thing. I think it twists an invisible knife to see that your ex has moved on and is happier.
    @Weedy - I can confirm that my mum beat me... as I started my own conga line in the last 400m and was trying to get the marshals to join inimage It was a very hard day for her. Her arthritis really played up and she was struggling from the 4th mile but being the stubborn mule that she is - wouldnt stop. She walked most of it and jogged as much as she could whilst according to my garmin I ran over 12 miles.... because i was running up/back/to every child I could to give a high 5 to! I was told that my enthuasiasm and ease was annoying at 9 milesimage
    @Tartan - well done on the marathon! I've heard great things about the Marine Corps Marathon.

Hope that everyone had a good weekend!

• Well done Emmy, and your mum, I like your attitude.

Jimbob - did you start in the carpark next to the 02? If so, I went past you yesterday. I wondered what on earth was going in - it looked more like a cattle-herding exercise than the start of a race.

Eggy - in not normally a fan of detective stuff, but I really enjoyed The Bridge. It's good if you like Scandi-noir. And if you like Scandinavian stuff but not detectives, try Borgen. It's like the West Wing, but with pastries. And bicycles.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I rarely watch tv either, although I do tend to develop a bit of a channel 4 habit when Mr Maj leaves me unattended for too long...I did really like The Bridge though.

My two weeks is up....I'm going for a run, lalalalalalalalaaaaaaa

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Congrats everyone on their RTTB weekend. It sounds like a great run - and fantastic will power your mum has, Emmy.

I ran up and down steep inclines for 15km at the Himmelbjerg run yesterday in the cold and beat my previous time by over ten minutes, which I am really pleased about.

• DV - He is a friend of my coach and got stiched up, it did feel a bit like a runners B&B as we provided the porridge...

yer_maj - I've not read the book myself so I cannot comment, he seemed like a nice bloke and it was his first attempt so maybe they'll get better the more he writes, DLR can give us his full review - happy birthday BTW DLR!

Well done Jimbob - great running!!! I'd suggest seeing how you fair on the easy/LSR. You've got time to improve through your session work and then see how you're doing Jan - early March with regards to pacing.

My advice, dont set yourself any limits, just see how the body is reacting and gadge from there. If you're running a HM at 8mm pace now then you could be doing one in March at 7:45mm or quicker if the training is right and 8:30mm could be comfortable for your LSR.

How often will you be running each week and what sort of session work will you be doing? What I would suggest is, on your last LSR try to stay easy for the first half and then do the second at slightly quicker than marathon pace but no more than 23 miles.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - I'll add the The Bridge to the list of shows to check out. Let's face it any suggestion has to be better than the one a lad in the office suggested (24), which really was terrible.

Emmy - Well done to both you and your mum.

• Emmy - Well done. How's ankle feel today?

OO - "Cinema was created by god, TV by the devil." Can't remember who said it tho.

SP - Well done. How's motivation doing?

Jimbob - You're spot-on about Nike's motives. There's a V good book i'd recommend for forum book club - Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. It's all about the US fast food industry, including the tactics they use to get people to buy their products. It's fascinating stuff, jaw-dropping at times.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I felt much better after talking to the forum and when I got home on Friday I threw off my cycling gear (I cycle to and from work) and got my running gear on and went off for a run in the nearby woods. I went without a real plan in my head apart from just trying to enjoy and notice the smells and sounds and sights around me. I had the most fantastic run and felt much better. Then yesterday I decided to drop the Garmin and just race on how my body felt and promised myself to look around and enjoy the views and it really helped. Now I feel I have turned a corner.

It was great to get a kick start from the threadies - thanks. image

• Chownsie that is a top name drop IMO. I am reading his book also and enjoying it to boot.

Nice running jb.

+1 for the bridge

Also spiral, or rather Engranages, Homeland and the thick of it.

All on demand though.
  • Chownsie: cheers for all the advice. I am planning to run every other day with the LSR on a saturday or sunday. I do two runs home from work, one is a very uphill and currently at 7 miles (will increase to 9 soon) and the other route is accross the park on rough service so i go gentle for the first bit and then it's pretty smooth after that so thats where i am doing my speed interval work - in the last 5 miles of that run. Basically - 3 runs a week currently at 25 miles - will be 30 miles from next week once recovered from this half. From the new year, 35 miles a week plus a swim but still on the 3-4 runs a week regime all the way up to Paris with an eye on a fast half marathon at Silverstone on March 3rd and a gentle half at Reading on Mar 17th during Paris taper. Will look to do 3 x 20/21 long runs Jan, Feb & Mar 10th

• The thick of it is masterful.

I'm another who doesn't watch much tv though. Last year I happened upon a copy of the radio times saved to commemorate the royal wedding in 81, so pre-dated satellite tv, daytime tv and even channels 4 & 5. Amazing the difference. Almost all domestic productions, often relatively highbrow even in primetime.

TV now just seems to be a mild sedative for the masses.

Well done JB!

For target pacing have a look at a race time predictor, and use it as a start point. They aren't 100% accurate as they assume an equal quality of race specific training from distance to distance, no weight change, equal conditions and equal level of ability at each distance. I'd start using a training plan that used a predicted time from one of them and then re-assess up/down depending on how training felt and performance in any 10 mile/half tune up races.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well I just did 6k - and it felt bloody good!!  Just me, my metronome and my lost fitness....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks all

@Weedy - Ankle is suprisingly OK. It hurt a lot on Saturday and I felt a few twinges during the run but I think the support in my shoes really helped.

@RR - Our attitude sometimes get's us into trouble! image I've been told that my conga line made the Channel 5 news though (i didnt see it).

@Sp13 - A friend running in Amsterdam was planning on racing and getting a PB but was so disheartened when her garmin wouldnt turn on that she was about to throw the towel in on her PB.... and she decided to run just on feel - she came in 30 minutes under her last PB! Sometimes - just enjoying it and forgetting about the pace can also help.

@yer_maj - well done!! image

• well the Runners World race time predicter has given me 3.37 for a full mara.image!!!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah..In the Thick of It.  Peter Capaldi is a class-A swearer...image

yer_maj, I managed 5...me and the distant memory of fitness. I'm going to have to train for the Santa Runimage

Welcome back to the Zone, SP13.

• Well done JB.

I am following the sub 4 hour ultimate training plan. At least it gives you a guide pace to run. This will start on 17th December. Just the right time to start. image

Too much beer and wine since last sunday's great brum run. Got to get back into this week for conwy on 18th.

TV is just pathetic at the moment. I just watch homeland, but then I am not really sure how they are going to stretch it out for a third series. I can see it going the same way as Lost.

•  

Couldn't agree more Rob. I use TV to smarten myself up. I love history programmes, science and nature documentaries. Sunday night is my favourite time to watch tv. Too busy the rest of the time image

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    TV now just seems to be a mild sedative for the masses.

• SR - Have you come across the name Tom Payn yet? He is feature in the book and he is my coach.

Jimbob - I can send something over to you that might be of interest.

Emmy_H - good to hear it went well image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'd say I'm selective in what I watch, but I'd argue the best TV shows easily better that offered by film. I'd say there isn't a film that's been made that comes close the the quality offered in Band of Brothers, The Soprano's or The Wire. Mostly as they have three hours tops to develop a character and their motives.

Sure there's a lot of rubbish on TV, but then the charts are full of dire music. The fastest selling book ever in the UK is bloody Fifty Shades of Grey and you'll see queues to get in and see dire movies like the Twilight films. Even things like the top selling computer games tend not to be the artistically acclaimed ones. TV like much else just demonstrates in general that mainstream consumers just want mindless fluff.

Erm, now I guess I should stop deviating from target and let the running talk commence.

• Chownsie: cheers that would be good - send to jim.connell@keyproduction.co.uk

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jimbob - I know we're all a friendly bunch around here, but I'd PM Chownsie that e-mail address not leave it out for anyone to stumble across.

• Well first day back at work over.image

Emmy - You've made one little girl very very happy, thank you so much. And well done to you and your mum! image

Doctors appointment today.....and some good news(not much thou!!). He is going to allow me to run   5k only and only every 3 days, and only easy running no speedwork whatsoever!! image Don't think I'd be fit for speedwork anyway! Another check -up in 2 weeks.........

RS - Ex stoops to a new low today, and walks by eldest child on the street this morning! She phoned me in major disbelief on her way to school!

• Stroops wafels have run out image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Chownsie - That just sounds like bad planning. You've no idea how many of them I can stuff in my hand luggage. I always wanted to get stopped coming back from Amsterdam at the airport, just to see the look on the customs guy face as he unloads nothing but a bag full of biscuits! 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Bonjour!

Thought I'd jump in as I signed up for Paris over the weekend. Last marathon was FLM09. Did my first race since then just yesterday when I did the London Kilomathon.

Did FLM09 in 3.25 on a hot day (I don't do heat!). I want to challenge 3.15 but I've heard Paris can get a bit warm too. Any info on the race and typical weather will be appreciated.

Cheers

SB

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sporty Badger - Welcome. As for the weather I think it's pot luck. It was very cool last year, which I thought were near as perfect running conditions. The year before was a heat wave by all accounts.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

That's what I feared. Oh well, best start training in a padded boiler suit! image

SB

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

On balance I'd say Paris is a comparable course SB. Possibly worse at the start but ok at the sharp end where you will be. Not as well supported as London on the route but lots of serious runners aiming 3- 3:15. You'll love it, especially this thread.  

• welcome SB (awesome profile name)

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

OO - I'm surprised you think the start at Paris is bad, as I found I had plenty of room from the off last year. Particularly when compared with other similar sized events like Berlin & Chicago that both suffered bad crowding in the opening few miles.

Maybe I just got lucky last year.