Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• My employers even frown at sick leave for the children. 2years ago they both got Scarlett Fever in the summer holidays, and they were really mad when I could get no-one to watch them for me!!! Who in there right mind is going to look after kids with scarlett fever??? I had to make all the time up.........never had a day off for months after they were better and had to use up holiday allowance too.

Why do I still work there..........image

• TD - sorry to hear about your dad.

Pubberlic announcement for any swimmers on the thread... It looks like the dates for next year's Great Swim series are being announced this afternoon

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Not a good time to mention that I work in HR image. Most good employers would re-imburse for sickness during holidays- but most good employees would not ask image.

• I obviously have really bad employers.......but I am not sure if its the company thats at fault or the management team in my work place???image

• My boss has jet lag. I wish he would take a day off sick instead. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

employers are reluctant to pay time off for sick children as it's difficult to police and potentially costly. At my place you'd have to take as holiday or work the time back if only a part day.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'd hate to pay your sickpay bills Tricky, you are a bit of a fragile lad.....image

• I wouldn't be able to bring myself to say I had a cold (not just any old cold - a man cold) on the first two days of my holiday in Turkey in the summer. Yes I did lie on a sunbed next to the pool feeling sorry for myself and I did manage to sink 10 bottles of Efes during the evenings but you know I was ill and I should have those days back. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

My boss has jet lag. I wish he would take a day off sick instead. image

Here here.... We have a lot of the group that do a lot of international trips and they are so grouchy as they always land in the morning and come straight into work.

For ANY sickness we need a doctors note from day 1 (despite belgian law being 2)... but if i'm not feeling great - i'll work from home and put in the house.

• Ya OO my employers did say that indeed. And that although they knew my kidz were very ill they couldn't shift on the policy as others would try to take the mick......and some still do!!

JB - lol...........That must of been hard!!image

• Those of us who are self-employed don't have the luxury of sick pay or paid holidays....    but..   despite that, the advantages of self-employment far outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion.    Booking a holiday, for example, isn't just the cost of the holiday... its also accounting for the lost income while away...   

• I used to be self-employed and much preferred it. I worked longer harder hours, but was always there for the kidz when needed. The advantages certainly outweighed the disadvantages, and even the kidz have realised that now! Oh how I wish I could be self-employed again.

• I've been self employed for 13 years and it wouldhave to take something pretty spectacular to entice me back into employment again. Lots of risks such as no sick pay, no holiday pay, no income unless I go out and find it, no employer pension...but the flexibility it gives me for my slightly complicated life outweigh all of that.

• At some offices - like mine, if you have residual germs from a bout of man flu or sniffles you can work the odd day at home rather than share the germs with rest of the team and pee everybody off. We have a saying -dont take the wee wee. Fellow parents will know it doesn't quite work the same way in schools with the little'uns. Cause the kiddies have a cold / cough for practically the whole of the wnter months and sometimes other times in the year. So unless they have a temparature, the runs or vomitting then they would usually be sent in - otherwise they would never go to bloody school!

Just a very good Speed session. 8 x 1min sprints spread out through two laps of regents park,.the whole run inc there and back was 8.5 miles in 1hr6min.

• I don't think anyone would be able control me as an employee now...  I wouldn't employ me...!   Any future employment would have to be on my terms...  my previous experience of having 'managers' is that very few of them are actually any good and most play the political game - depending on the size of the company.  I can't stand that or work in that type of environment.  I hate petty rules and staff bitching about other staff etc..   

Most significantly, I like the freedom to do what I want and my income is related to my ability to find the work not controlled by someone else.

• Maybe thats my problem DV. As an employee I really struggle, especially when taking orders from some jumped up young un! Even worse if I am old enough to be their mother.......image

• Excellent progress there jimbob...   image

• I fear I may be unemployable too...image

• OO lets go. wrote (see)

I'd hate to pay your sickpay bills Tricky, you are a bit of a fragile lad.....image

Huh OO? I think apart from time to have an operation on my leg - where they detached my achilles and sawed off a part of the heel - where I took one week off work rather than the 4 weeks on my doctor's note, I only had 3 days off in 9 years.

Current employer is doing less well. Accident and temporary brain damage - impossible to work for two weeks. Operation on knee, took me out for another 2 days. So that's 12 working days in 21 months. Fragile yes, sickly, not really image

I make up for this appalling abseeitism by trying to be brilliant when I can manage to drag my ass into the office image image

• James B 73 wrote (see)

I used to work at a bank which had the policy that if you were ill whilst you were taking holidays then you could claim it back.

That's actually the case where I work. Provided you call into the office on your first day of illness.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

My boss has jet lag. I wish he would take a day off sick instead. image

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

I make up for this appalling abseeitism by trying to be brilliant when I can manage to drag my ass into the office image image

Keep trying.image

• interesting stuff on sickness... Used to freelance and never took a day off sick which was no different to my first or current stints as a permanent employee...which I have now returned to.

You are correct about the politics DV.
  • Are you criticising my spellung Engineer?
  • Definitely guilty of presenteeism this week - hauled my sorry backside into the office on at least two days when I should have been at home, but there genuinely were two pretty significant things to be done that no one else could do. I console myself with the thought that there are so many people hacking and spluttering about the place that one more won't add much to the germ count image .

Still - three more sleeps and I'm off on holiday image .
  • A week of yoga and lazing around in southern Spain. The plan was also to have a week off running, but I've just had a week off with the cold, so I'm thinking I might sneak in a little trot or two...
  • RR that sounds fabulous!

I'm just back from seeing Skyfall followed by a curry.  Also fabulous.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Are you criticising my spellung Engineer?

Not at all. I'm merely highlighting your natural dissidence...image

• yer_maj wrote (see)

RR that sounds fabulous!

I'm just back from seeing Skyfall followed by a curry.  Also fabulous.

Watched it last night at the biggest screen in the country. Absolutely sold. Utter class, never thought I'd say it of a modern Bond film, but best in franchise...

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

on the photos...umm yeah. I blame the front cover of RW for setting us up with unrealistic expectations.

You must be getting the Down South edition of RW Sal. The Up North edition models are much less glamorous

/members/images/727962/Gallery/final.jpg