Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• ha ha bloody ha (cheeky fxxker) image!!

• Weedy - That's brilliant. Interval running with lions. image

RR - Lucky you. Everyones heading to Espana.

I've still not seen Skyfall. I really want to see Argo too.

• Eggy - Argo looks brilliant too. You'll love Skyfall. Seek it out this weekend.
  • Hang in there Eggy.  It's rubbish not running - especially when you can see training on the horizon.  Things can change really quickly though.  I'm not out of the woods yet - still intermittently sore throughout the day and sore if I try to run.  Did 4 miles on Wednesday and by 3 was feeling pretty ouchy.  Just hoping that if I keep massaging and stretching it'll continue it's painfully slow healing process.

I admit, I've never seen a Daniel Craig Bond film let alone Skyfall.  My pre-Christmas list runs only to The Hobbit and Nativity 2. image

• RR - That sounds brill.........jealous of you tooimage

Weedy -lol

Eggy - hope the physio goes 'ok' tomorrow.

After yesterdays run my back injury is agony and I have a sore knee. I twisted my knee in Amsterdam when I slipped on a tram trackimage

I got the best news ever last night......my brother is coming home today!!!!imageimageimageimage Can you tell I love my big bro!!! Not seen him for 18 months, and he's only here for a few daysimage My mother is gone to have her hands full as I am moving in for the weekend too!!!!!image

• Morning.

Weedy... Love that cover photo image

We saw the Bond film on Wednesday night and loved it. Loved the geeky Q too.

Tonight, I'm taking my daughter to see Evanescence at Wembley. Goth-tastic fun image
  • Kaz, do you have a bike? You are suffering a lot at the moment. I know that running can be a 'must do' task mentally but you are having it tough. Is there a way you can get some exercise without running? You really do need a break from it and that doesn't just mean two days! You and your body need rest and to get fixed.

Worried about you...
  • Hey everyone!!

Love that cover Weedy really cool!

RedPanda having a baby bless lots of hugs to her.

Many thanks for all your hugs.  Been a difficult few weeks.  Not really helped that my brother has disappeared to S Africa for two weeks so the funeral has been delayed until next Friday.  Down to my dads again this weekend to meet up with the humanist celebrant re the ceremony strange that there is no one to consult as to what to do have been having dilemas re the music etc. fortunately a friend of dads in the village is helping me a bit now..

Had to make the decision really that I wasnt going to be in the right frame of mind re running Luton Mara the Sunday afterwards so have shelved that.  Did a cracking 20 miler a week or so ago and I think my fuelling etc. has really helped so the training hasnt been wasted...

DV/Dannirr - so impressed with your run/drive famous threadites now!

Kaz - take care Mrs are you seeing someone re that back?  I would agree with DV sounds like you need to give yourself a bit of a break...

TD - sorry to hear about your dad image

Intervals for me today..

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy, that's a brilliant cover. TJB, you're a starimage

It could not rain any heavier, here..

• DV - Thanks. I am beginning to wonder if everything is in my head, then I try and do something and the pain is really there!! I do have a bike. I used it lots when I first injured my back, and I was thinking about it yesterday but then the thought of sitting on it on the cold and miserable days really put me off! At least when running you are keeping yourself warmish!! My darling brother has a turbo trainer stored somewhere here so hopefully I can sweet talk him into helping me out this weekendimage

NGUG - My thoughts are with you. I have seen physio for my back, and have lots of exercises but I must admit that since Amsterdam I have not been very(any) good at doing them so really my own fault that its bothering me againimage

ATM - please keep it there!! We actually have a lovely autumn day here today shame I have to work all of it!image

I actually made the first step into getting out of my horrible job yesterday and enquired about retraining. spoke to BF last night about him helping me out, watching kidz etc until I did courses which he fully agreed to eventually after thousands of questions but now it looks unfeasible due to cost involved. Even with bursuries we are speaking about thousands between travelling to courses, lost income etcimage Do I blow a chunk of my savings on something that should make me really happy, but with the uncertainty that it would work??

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - LOL (sorry TJB), loved it.

NGUG - welcome back girl. If I can give one tip for selecting funeral music. Don't pick anything that you really like or are likely to hear often, otherwise anytime you hear it you will be reminded of one of the saddest occasions in your life. My Dad loved the music from 'The Mission' (Gabriel's Oboe) and so we had that. Everytime I hear it I get a lump in my throat and I doubt I could watch the movie. Mum had some hymns and some pipe music, so I'm unlikely to hear them.

• Orbutt - you are spot on - fortunately my dad was into classical music in a big way - which I am not really although I do appreciate it.  His neighbour said that he had listened to the whole of Beethovan's symphonies the day before he died from beginning to end.  The neighbour was great she immediately said this  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOvxcFKUMg

and a couple of other pieces which were so beautful I spent the whole evening in floods.. I can't see me being in a fit state to make any speeches on the day!!

• selecting my mums funeral service was kind of funny in a way as i knew the songs that really made her tick through her life and unleashing them on the huge funeral turnout brought a smile to my face during that grief stricken moment of constant cryage.

she was a hippy in the 60s and a massive Dylan fan - marching for CND - so Blowin in the Wind was the entry song. Then the reflection song was Meat Loaf "Two outta three ain#t bad". It reminded me of her in the 80s when we were kids and my folks just split up and my mum used to blast the song every day and when i'd try to talk to her she would just sing over my talking in a jokey eccentric way! and then in her later life she became a bit of a boys own/ronan keating fan and "life is a Rollarcoaster" she used to sing over my talking in the same way as Meat Loaf (and do this funny dance to embarress us) - was the perfect choice for the exit song. No Eva Cassidy Over The rainbow or fields of Gold here (although they are a lovely pieces for a funeral service)

No! - Orb, weedy and Everyone else - you knock yourselves out - i strut about North London in my team Gb gear like a wannabee Olympian and don't really take myself too seriously - i'm used to being the fall guy / wing man for my more attractive friends when they are on the "pull" - i expect to cop flack wearing the tracksuit for it as i do regularly from Mrs Jimbob - i was more than happy when my eldest daugther nagged ahd nagged for the same tracksuit (she loves Ellie Simmonds) and happily lashed out the £40 for it so sometimes you'll see the both of us dressed like that (not the hat and aviators) much to the dismay of MrsTJB

• I think between me and thee TJB we just about ensured the Olympics commercial success.  Off the top of my head I bought:

• 2 bracelets for me
    • Hoodies for the missus and 2 girls
    • 2 polo shirts for me
    • Sweat pant shorts for me
    • Shower jacket thing for me
    • Pencil case & pen for the youngest

The bracelets I wear daily.   The polo shirts I lived in for a few weeks but not worn since.  Shorts I wore loads and will again next spring/summer.  The jacket was the most expensive but only worn it once - for about 20 minutes one evening.

• NGUG - thinking about you. Hang in there, you are doing one of life's unfortunate tasks but I am sure your Dad is proud of the way you are doing it

Kaz -- yes. If you'll be happier you go for it. Your remaining work life is too long to be unhappy
  • Orbutt - the classical music does remind me of my dad as well - although not especially any particularly pieces as he played loads of it when I was young.  He used to go into his study shut the door and blast out either Mozart (also including), Lizt, Beethovan etc. - I think it was his bolt hole from us noisy kids or my mum's nagging...  Later in life I think he found it very soothing and he and his neighbour would sit and listen for hours together so she was able to tell me his favourites.  Music can be so evocative.. Bless re your mum loads of memories there but good to be able to smile too image

Umm I want to get Master NGUG some GB gear for swimming love the jammers and caps.. something for Christmas I guess

• NCUG: sorry if ive already said this in an earlier posting - i expected the emotional loss when my mum passed, but there is also a kind of physical loss - almost like losing a limb (not that i have experience with that to base that on)  - its a weird feeling, and the grief doesn't always behave in the way you would expect it. I recommend taking grief therapy to anyone who experiences this - it doesnt help everyone but it really helped me - some scars will never heal but they're not meant to. All my best to you and your family.

btw you have to be quite savvy with the team gb stuff - its dissappearing ..... scour the web for the decent stuff soon as it is bound to sell out at Crimbo x

• DLR - got the wristbands in stella blue union jack, but never dared to get the headband - only Philips Idowu can pull that off! part of me still thinks i should punt for one of those little puppies and just go for it at Paris!

• Superb cover photo!  The bloke sitting next to me at work has just rolled in, literally, after a 12 hr drinking session and a bar bill of thousands.. I think he's about to barf all over his laptop image.  I almost prefer the man flu sniffles of yesterday image

• Jimbob - sorry, I wasn't having a go, honest. Yours was just the first picture I came across. I'd have used my own but that's a bit self-centred. Got GNR place sorted by the way. Had to email them but they were v good about it and sorted me out straight away. If you need a place to stop the night before or after, give me a shout
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

RR that sounds fabulous!

I'm just back from seeing Skyfall followed by a curry.  Also fabulous.

Watched it last night at the biggest screen in the country. Absolutely sold. Utter class, never thought I'd say it of a modern Bond film, but best in franchise...

I thought it was a great film but not a great Bond film if that makes sense?

@NGUG- Welcome back! well done on a cracking 20 miler!

@Weedy - I love that cover photo! How on earth did you manage that?

I arrived at my parents this morning in anticipation of the Foxy@40 marathon tomorrow. I constantly feel like i'm going 200 miles a hour at the moment so i'm hoping it'll slow down soon!

• Thanks Emmy - it was a good feelingimage.

Jimbob - thanks image  You are quite right re the GB stuff crikey its still mega expensive too..

The Engineer /yer_maj/Emmy - Would totally agree re Skyfall having not seen any of the previous Daniel Craig Bond films I was well impressed.  Loved the continuity of the music and the Aston Martin DB5image Not sure why I am such a petrol headimage

• Sweet Weed - no offense taken - i love that photo! Every now and then a magic one comes along - and you have to be grateful. Theres a pub near the finish. After the race me and my friend went and quoffed many pints of lagar and when we came out - everything and everyone was gone apart from the 13 mile marker so we stopped for a pose.

thanks regarding place to crash at GNR - that is a really good and helpful offer. I have my friend in Blyth who i stay with every year with the whole fam. Last two years her ill health wasnt that good so i stayed on my own. We'll see nearer the time - i should have it covered - but i would like to meet up after the race for a couple of drinkie poos - maybe Iain as well if he's doing the race as well. Anyhoo its a long way off but good to have options.  good work for getting in - its the BEST half ever (for atmosphere)

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    TJB - I too have got the Team GB t shirt and wrist bands. Got quite a few comment during the Olympics like "you're a long way from London mate" but I didn't mind. Makes a change for people to speak to you.

I have really enjoyed the Daniel Craig Bond movies. I think the best think that happened to Bond was the Bourne movies.
  • DLR - Thanks, I'm just not used to being injured. I took up running in August 2006 and the first injury I ever had was summer last year. I should be grateful I've been so lucky injury wise. This is the longest I've been out injured. I think I'm just suffering typical runners paranoia that I'm losing all my fitness!

Kaz - Rest, please look after yourself. On the job side if you can find some way to do something you enjoy then try and go for it. I did that a number of years ago when I quit work to go back to education and retrain. Financially it was tough, but at least these days I no longer wake up dreading going to work. Well at least not every day! image

• Jimbob - Ta, I was mortified when I thought you were hacked off with me. Beer sounds good, and offer of room stands if Blyth thing doesn't work out this year. Or if anyone else on the thread wants a place to stay. I'm a half hour south of Newcastle.

Emmy - it's dead easy, you just build it up in layers on photoshop like making a sandwich. I cobbled that one up in half an hour or so, but doing it properly takes two or three hours. I do them for friends all the time. If you want one doing for someone, just drop me a decent quality picture. Or if anyone else wants one doing for a Xmas present or whatnot, drop me a line. Good luck for marathon - I had it in my head it was last weekend you were doing it.

• Hi All

Emmy - seems like you are off to marathons all the time, or have I got the wrong impression? Certainly seems like you do a lot of them.

Just registered for Berlin (little white lie on the "marathon besttime" section to hopefully get into a good starting pen) and have booked a hotel. My real first "away" marathon, since in paris I stay with my sister.

• Bad boy Neil....now we know who is causing all the hold ups.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - That's a great idea. I can use lightroom but have never really got on with photoshop. Nope - marathon is tomorrow. I've run out of gels so am going to try jelly babies for the first time :/ Let's see how I get on!

@NGUG - I really liked the nod to the Aston Martin!

What is everyone up to this weekend?

@Neil - umm.... i've been doing a few latelyimage I promise this is the last one until January.... unless I get offered a reserve place at the saxon shore marathon in Kent in Decemberimage Did you have any issues with registration? A few people have been complaining about not being able to get in today.

• Not at all Weedy - quite the opposite - i cracked up!

good Luck with the marathon Em!