March 3rd Silverstone half

March 17th Reading half

April 7th Paris Mara

May 27th Bupa London 10,000

June 23rd Torbay half

Sept 15th Great Norf Run

Sept 29th Berlin Mara
  • Good job Simon

Eggy - good news. Be careful with the groin - it's meant to be multi functional and not just a running support

Lois - congratulations!
  • gonna try a longy tomorrow - lets see what happens (gulp)

• /members/images/157400/Gallery/long_route.jpg

must remember to go slowwwwww .....

• I love starting work at 6am on a Sunday!image

Good Luck with the long run TJB.

• Good luck with the run jimbob...

The children are doing a remberence day march this morning...  then getting them out for a country walk and I've got a run planned...

• My other is Standish Hall Trail Race on 23rd February

• Beautiful day here.  Off for my 10 miles as soon as I have cleared up my trashed office....I thought the kittens were suspiciously quiet...image

• image at the idea of a multifunctional groin.

Signing off now for a week. Play nicely while I'm away.
  • Have a great time RR!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Simon - well done!

@Weedy - what a great list... I agree - I don't think DV has enough races next yearimage

@RR - have a great time!

@kaz- a 6am start on a Sunday?! That's shocking!

Well I did the race yesterday... Once I've got more a better frame of mind - I'll write a report. It chewed me up and threw me out the other side. I ran with someone doing the 40mile ultra and we helped each other through so it was more about the running comradery than a race yesterday.
  • Just got back. Ended up running a bit further round my usual ending from my shorter run. Was such a lovely morning. Didn't really warm up, so felt the cold over the last 4 or 5 miles. Total run 17 miles 2hr30mins. It was good relaxed pacing-9mm. That's the longest/furthest I've run since VLM2010. The time, distance and even pacing were all good but I have do lots lots more of those sorts of run. Today was TOUGH. I need a running buddy for that distance.
  • RR - enjoy your holiday.

Emmy - doesn't sound good, but you finished! Well done.

TJB - well done on your long run. That's a fairly rapid pace so I'm not surprised it felt tough. Maybe you should ease off slightly on your next one? (I should heed my own advice as I always run my LSRs far too fast!)

• Hey Si. Pace wise it felt slow by what I'm used to running. It was probably "medium" if I have 3 gears of slow, medium or fast. I do need to try to take a bit more off. Mentally it felt tough at times, got a bit lonely and thought a few times about the fact that I have to do this every week, but on the whole it was a good exercise. Lords cricket ground to Finchley Central is one long road that just goes on and on and never seems to end!
  • Jimbob you need to slow down...yes, that was very bossy I know but the point of the LSR is the S...and it's going to get a lot tougher as Paris training cranks up...

I went over my 10 miles as well because it was just so fab out there image

• YM: in the words and style of Andy (of Lou and Andy from Little Britain) - "yeah I know!" image
  • Bitterly cold wind here today but did a 30K blast on the bike. Hangover well and truly blitzed. Feet up now to watch Scotland v the All Blacks. Not feeling too confident...
  • Simon - this is exactly the sort of game where Scotland will pull something extraordinary out of their arse...

• Emmy - glad you survived. Sounds like you had a tough one.

Jimbob - great run there.

RR - have a good time.

Newcastle Town Moor 10k race report...
    Pros: Most of the 500 or so runners took having to restart the race after 0.77 miles after being sent the wrong way in good spirits.
    Cons: Getting sent the wrong way and having to restart the race after 0.77 miles.

• YM - I hope so. Carter described the Scotland team as 'irrelevant'. How dare he!

Weedy - how did you get on in the 11.3K?
  • Irrelevant, is it?  That's a fair amount of arrogance, even by his standards...image

• image You weren't in the 'most' category then weedy?

Emmy - it's all experience banked

Same for you TJB.  It may have felt tough but that's what'll make you stronger. Pace wise that is maybe slightly on the fast side but see how it leaves you feeling this afternoon/tomorrow.  The danger of speed for the endurance runs is that they leave your body unable to get value from your other key sessions in the week.  I'd probably drop the pace a bit now (which might also make it mentally easier) but expect to crank it up for the second half of some of your long runs in Jan/Feb/March.  Base building is about building endurance and teaching your body how to utilise fuel; with speed endurance and then pure speed sharpening coming later in the programme. At 17 miles you're well ahead of the game at this stage!

13k done for me today.  Was a bit concerned that foot felt sore last 24hrs but behaved fine on the run.  Just a little soreness in the first mile.  Had a warm bath after but preceeded that with 5 minutes of switching my foot from the hot water of the bath to a bucket of cold water every 30s.  Faint soreness now but nothing major.

• Didn't take Dan long to get on the scoreboard
  • Simon, DLR - My first 11.3k race. I was in the cheerful majority - these things happen. It's all organised by people who've given up their time to do it, often with no thanks, and we'd be stuffed without them.

Plus I managed to sneak a PB by 32 seconds with a 44.48 finish, so I can't complain about anything.

• Well done on your PB Weedy. At least you were well warmed up at the (second) start. Any you are right about the importance of the volunteers.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Nothing is ever wasted, Emmy. And it'll be interesting for all of us to learn whatever you learned from the run. Anyway, ' sounds like you made a good pal. Result!

Well done those racers image

TJB, I get lonely...sometimes...on the long runs. ( It's why I'm going to gatecrash DLR's..) Do you listen to music? I find it helps with pacing... yer_maj, you mentioned that you're working on keeping to a particular cadence. Me, too..although mine's 180. I've altered the tempo of my playlist so that all the music is now 180bpm.Do you use music? Do you manipulate it, too?

• Looking on the bright side, we scored 3 tries.
  • Did a Remembrance Day race here today in beautiful sunshine, perfect conditions, gorgeous setting. Felt a bit strange - after the first km, I was in front by a nose, at the head of the pack. Definitely felt wrong. Not done the kind of training to warrant that position, but it didn't feel so hard.

By the time my HR had reached 'operating temp' I backed off the pace a bit. And started going backwards. At 4km, someone else from this thread who also lives in Belgium overtook me. Anyway, not sure where I placed but finished a minute behind Neil. Very hilly course, 44:19. Bit disappointed although the data shows my average HR was 96% and I peaked at 181 - my MHR is 182. So I was really trying.

I am stunned to just check the results from the same course two years ago - this was the worst weather I had ever raced in - blustering wind, driving rain, really cold - I finished just 2 seconds faster than today. So, a bit image and a bit image and a bit image

• Someone out there likes graphs. Here's some I made earlier:

/members/images/345267/Gallery/2012_monthly_mileage_to_Nov_0.jpg

The graph above shows how much running I have been able to do each month. the work I did in Jan and Feb before tapering for a March mara was normal for me. After Paris mara in April, I realised I had a problem with my knee. Operation was in June. Tried to recover to run Berlin mara in Oct but pain in knee is not properly resolved.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Training_Load_2012-11-11_0.png

The graph above indicates training stress and can be used to indicate relative fitness - timeline shows last 3 years. The higher the purpole area, the fitter i was. The vertical brown lines show individual efforts. This shows I was at my fittest for Paris mara (where I PBd) and am now on a downwards slope because I can't train much.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Running_Accumulation_comparison_2010_2012_0.jpg

This shows how my accumulated running this year compares with the last two years. I'm doing just enough to stay fit but not enough to really compete and certainly not enough to improve. OO is the man I look up to. He's 5 years more 'mature' than me and proves he can keep getting faster. I really would like to be able to do that.

1 week to see the surgeon again. Trepidation much... image

• Well you sound like you're doing everything you can from your side TD, the rest is out of your hands. I have a friend who is forever telling me (when I'm in work stress hell) that you can only do what you can do and nothing else matters. It sounds a bit trite I know but it's still true. Hang in there.