Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy, I can see us both listed , now. We have a couple of days to persuade another 3...image  megs11, the link is here  and we're called ' the Bench'...as in injury bench. * kaz, don't you dare get off that bench! Get well, girl. 2013 is going to be your year.* yer_maj, we need your body. You thought up the name image Another 1 and Emmy might jump ship....Orbutt? For January, we just have to decide how many runs a week we'll do ' Success' or otherwise is whether we stick to that number....no distance/pace requirements. It's a guilt thing for the lazy..errr...motivation, I mean.

I've made flapjacks for tomorrow's run. Plan A is to experiment with 'real' food...

• Yep me and Sue did Derwentwater 10 this year, both managed a decent time.

We have a little bolt hole in Keswick, so it's either climbing mountains or running round lakes
  • 6 miles today after arriving in New Mexico. Sunny and 0 degrees. I think the altitude kicked my butt though. Or maybe the three fish tacos I had just prior to going out. 6 flat miles should not have been that hard.

But, that's a shade over 1500 miles for 2012, so I'm happy.
  • ATM...how can I refuse a line like that?!  Where do I sign?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - I was going to sign up but was waiting to try a little run tomorrow to see if I could put the proper bench behind me.

Unfortunately, I did something really stupid this evening and I'm back on the bench proper.

Friends got an Xbox for Xmas and I played a game which involved jumping - not the most sensible thing for someone with calf problems. Felt something go ping in my calf. No immediate pain but I can feel it when I stretch.

Currently icing but I'm going to be out of action for a bit longer.

Damn image

• RR - flu jab extremely effective. No vaccine available vs noravirus though, hence the outbreak.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    RR - I had the flu jab but as I was told by the lovely dr. It only protects you against the most likely strain of the flu. There are hundreds that you can catch on a yearly basis so if you're "lucky" enough to get the strain that you've been immunised against - its better. Unfortunately, the prize for "most popular flu strain" varies per country.

I'm off for a run - will reply to everyone later!
  • Morning everyone. I've been jabbed and remain flu free. Sounds like you've had a horrible experience Kaz. Skyped my brother who was all alone on Christmas Day, clinging to a sick bucket. Not much fun.

Thanks for wishing me a Fit 2013 Eggy but I too am holding out to become. baronness. Actually, I think I'll put it on record now. I'd turn it down so I could hang out with the Kool Kids like Danny Boyle. In a very unlikely event, I feel free to revise this opinion in the future.

Got myself out for a 5k run yesterday, blazed along to finish in 31minsimage but having been a good boy and done all my chores, took myself out for a cheeky little 40k bike ride. Managed to hit 98% MHR on one hill. Worked so hard I was coughing all evening. Felt proper good!

Feeling good now so might conjure up a few graphs later. Have a good one everybody, especially if you have acquired a recent XBOX gaming injury like a big kid image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

RR...or, possibly, TD...

dancing with Captain von T....

It sounds like several of you have had a miserable time with bugs...or Xbox-jumping/Dad-dancing activities..2013 will be better. image

Today's run hasn't happened, yet.

• Hey all!  I'm back.  Sounds like you all had merry christmases...except for those wrapped around a toilet or shivering in bed.  Thought that was how new years day was supposed to be spent!!

Tunisia was very cool but it's the first one I've been on that's not been cycling or walking so ate far too much and am chubby wubby now. image The diet starts today. Heaps of roman ruins that you get to climb and run all around, FUN.  Not like Rome where they're precious about these things.  Also saw the sun set over Tatoine, didn't get two moons though image

DV - Awesome family sing along.  Although I do wonder how much the therapy bills are going to be for your kids singing along to all that.  I think Mrs DV should sing the Paris forum theme song...when we get one.

• Oooohhhh. A forum theme song - I have an image of us recreating "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life", set in a locker room with the injury bench in a starring role, and a cameo from Eric Idle saying, "No, really, it's just a little scratch" as blood spurts from his amputated arm.

Yes. I'm mixing my Monty Pythons. What of it?
  • hee hee hee, I sang that on my camel on christmas day.  I'm sure the pythons would be quite happy about a bit of mixin' it up.

• Here is the Amsterdam team's theme tune.

Megs - you're nearly as obsessed with Christmas pudding as I am image

ATM - Can see three of us now image

Orbutt - bummer. You can always join the team and skip the first couple of weeks.

Danni - how high up are you? Couldn't see it on Garmin.

RS - Glad you had a good time. Mr Miyagi definitely. That reminds me, my car needs cleaning.

Kaz, sounds grim. This one's for you..

/members/images/727962/Gallery/runningflowchart.jpg

• Weedy: very, very funny. One significant omission is the incurable case of CBA.image
  • Take care Kaz.

Weedy/Tricky - agree with you both on the honours.  Overall I think it's a load of anachronistic nonsense but leaving that aside there doesn't seem to be much logic for who gets what for the Olympians.  I can't help but feel its all rather cynical populism from a failing government trying to string out the olympic feel good feelings.

RR - Must admit I enjoyed Superstars, even though I had been hoping for a Leeds 1-2 in both the men's and women's events.

• Very funny Weedy!

I doped myself up on pain killers to manage my half day at work, the first Sunday afternoon I have had off in ages and I am not fit to do anything except watch tv.image Only consilation is that its now torrential rain and rather windy.

2013 must be a better year...........

• Weedy- I think its probably the fact that you can only have it for a small portion of the year, its the exclusivity that gets me!! And it did the trick, 8 miles at 9:53 min/mile average which is pretty speedy for me. 

kaz- sometimes an afternoon of doing not much other than watching tv is exactly what's needed! try and make the most of it, and at least you'll be cosy, warm and dry! where abouts in the country are you? where i am at the mo (suffolk) its not raining but there's one hell of a wind! fingers crossed for 2013! 

i've signed up for jantastic- i think it will help with motivation when the initial enthusiasm at the beginning of the training plan has waned and it's cold and wet outside.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Went through the list of personal trainers and was struck by the similarity between Luke & Yoda and me and Mrs O

/members/images/676282/Gallery/DSCF1229a.jpg

I our defense, she was standing on the bench behind me - not sitting in my backpack.

• Megs - I am in Orkney, so anything but wind and rain is totally out of the question!

• Just had 12 miles out on Dartmoor at 8min miles. Driving back to Big Smoke tonite.

Happy new year everyone. I'm hoping friends will throw a house party tomorrow night. Planning to have a late-ish one.
  • ..and an Orbutt in a Pear Tree wrote (see)

Went through the list of personal trainers and was struck by the similarity between Luke & Yoda and me and Mrs O

/members/images/676282/Gallery/DSCF1229a.jpg

I our defense, she was standing on the bench behind me - not sitting in my backpack.

Dare you to give her that post to read.

• Hmmmmmmm fryingpan hit you with I will!

• Limited Edition Backpack Orbutt - carry along personal trainer. I think the legendary Czech Olympian Emil Zatopek had a similar training regime, running in the snow with his wife on his back.

• Orbutt (autocorrect kept changing it to "or tut") - lovely picture

Weedy - will download when I return home, but the valley elevation here is 5 500 feet (I live at 800 feet) and when, or if, I head up into the mountains it gets to 12 000 feet.

I love the idea of a Monty Python inspired theme song. I would go with "I'm not dead yet"
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

image That is one cracking photo. Z-a-t-o-p-e-k! Z-a-t-o-p-e-k! Tell us you train in Army boots, too,O...

I see 4, Weedy! C'mon yer_maj, register ( I wonder if they have a wee Welsh flag, too...) and Emmy will jump ship .

kaz, we're having full-on rain /sleet, here. I did 10 miles to friend's house, had a coffee, chocolate cake, a rest and a chat, and then ran back. I don't think that counts as 20 but it was a long haul in horrible weather anyway.

My current fav running  track is' Scream'..

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Hmmmmmmm fryingpan hit you with I will!

image.

Orbutt - here's one to add to your race list next year

Finnish wife-carrying championship.

Megs - I'm sure I remember seeing an interview with Paula Radcliffe in which she said Christmas cake was one of her favourite indulgences. And if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.

RS - riding a camel on Christmas Day? Does that make you a Wise Woman?

Last run of 2012 today and what a cracker it was. Made a bit of a detour from my usual Thames Path route and crossed the Millennium Bridge. Just as I hit the bridge, iPod comes up with 'Eye of the Tiger'. It was like starring in my own film - great views, great run. 

37% increase on mileage this year compared to 2011, and 107% on 2010. Average (mean) run length getting longer (and slower, but that's to be expected). Goals for next year - break 50 mins for 10K on New Year's Day (nothing like setting a short term target), sub 3:50 for Paris, then increasing long runs in preparation for Comrades in 2014. There, I've said it. Have to to it all now image

• ATM: that's 20 alright! My plan today is a mid-morning showing of Les Miserables with Mrs D, after which it should have warmed up to about 1C with a few snow flakes possible, then she'll drop me off about 12-15 miles from the house for the run back home. I like the idea of a mid-run piece of chocolate cake.
  • http://www.eukonkanto.fi/gallery/big/23272-eukonkanto_lauantai_098.jpg

Wow! That Finnish Wife Carrying race looks like a handful image

• RR - you've made fabulous improvements in your running this last year and you have been a long time runner. Was there any particular event/ idea/ experience that inspired this change? Care to tell how fab you are....?

OK graph lovers. Nothing complicated. Just 3 views on how my running has gone this year (and I should add, this has been the year I have set my marathon PB, despite all the setbacks).

/members/images/345267/Gallery/2012_Monthly_Distance_0.jpg

Month by month distance above.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/2012_Daily_distances_0.jpg

What that looks like on a day by day display. You can see post my op in June that I have not run on consecutive days since.  I tried to make a comeback to run Berlin mara in October but there was just insufficient miles in my legs to do it.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/2012_Accumulated_Distance_over_year_0.jpg

The dotted arrow showed my mileage goal at the beginning of the year. I was ahead of target until the end of the post-Paris recovery period and just couldn't get back on it. That's when I took my appointment to visit the sports clinic and get checked up.

Well, here's to a fabulous 2013. I expect performances to get better, afterall, I enter into a new race category tomorrow - VETERANS 2, 45-49 y.o.