Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's very speedy PF image

Beautiful day here today...warm and sunny.  Perfect for an 18k run

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

PF - Can you recommend anywhere to stay for Mont Saint Michel marathon? am a little baffled by the options!

• We've rented a Gite in Cancale itself which is where the marathon starts, so I'd recommend looking there has worked out at £60 a head for 6 (3 couples) each with double bedroom and ensuite for 4 nights - a bargain I thought and only 50meters from the start line!!!  And shuttle back.  Will ask some friends of mine who go to that area regularly and let you know their recomendations.  I would try and stay at cancale itself if you can, but I know the places fill up quickly.  This looks nice

Le Continental

4 Quai Thomas, 35260  Cancale

• Hey all, great running!  Am very jealous.  Looking like some big miles being clocked up already.

well...I WFH today in anticipation of my turbo being delivered and then REALLY looking forward to a session on it this evening.  It didn't arrive.  NEVER use city-link.  Their drivers LIE, LIE, LIIIIIIEEEEEE!  I was in all day.  Didn't even leave my flat for 5 mins and apparently they tried to deliver...umm...no you didn't, oh yes we did, no YOU FUDGING didn't.  So now...I'm without package and without exercise.  image  right, rant over and breathe in and breathe out and PHUCK city-link are twats.  you wouldn't believe the bull excrement they gave me on the customer service line too.

• Emmy: and its right on the harbour so lovely view .......

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thanks PF, I'm going to have a google now and try and book something. It looks like I'll be on my own so hopefully it'll be cheap image
  • I love on a hill RSC. I get that all the time. No postie or an driver is wiling to come the 100m up the hill to my house so they just drop in a 'no one at home' slip in the mailbox at the bottom of the driveway. I get everything delivered to work now. Much better.

Fiona. I don't think you can see a session you've just run on your 310XT until after you have pressed RESET for 3 seconds. It then moves the working data into History. Hope that helps.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Love on a hill TD. Sounds like a lot of ups and downs!

RS - I've actually been in and answered the door as the postie was sticking the 'nobody home' card through the letterbox before. It's fair to say he got some grief that day.

I managed another 9 miles tonight and my pace was close to last nights managing 9:11 m/m average pace. Good to see something close to consistent pace and not dying while doing it again.

• Awh, emmy. hubby not keen on a romantic weekend away? image

hmm...a 10kg plus turbo trainer delivered to work...I usually would but in this case I don't think it'd fly, especially lugging it home on the train. image  and I've caught the postie doing that too eggy, he got a barrel full and told to bring the package up NOW.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Good run for me tonight. 9.5 miles. Ran the first 7 at 9:15 mm pace, was very comfortable and running within myself so decided to pick up the pace a bit and did the next 2 at 8:40 mm pace and then eased up for the last 0.5 mile back to 9:15 mm pace.

It was very chilly though. Was not expecting that.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Interesting - Garmin Connect has now added training plans (free)!  You can add them to your calendar. I assume, although dont know, you can upload them to your watch?

• Hi all, new joiner here. Sounds like everyone is doing well and lots of you are recovering from injuries just in time, which is good news. I've had a break from running after the Berlin marathon and have just started a 3 month plan which I'm hoping will get me round and even sneak me under 4 hours.

Has anyone run the Paris marathon before? What's everyone looking forward to the most?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello Tommy - and welcome.

You'll find that a lot of the people on here have run Paris before but we've all, at some point, run it for the first time - mine was last year.

I really enjoyed everything about last year - apart from cramp at mile 19 - but one of the real highlights was the Thread meet-up at the pub. Everyone is made very welcome.  

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tommy - Welcome to the thread.

There's a good few Paris veterans around these parts. Like Orbutt I ran Paris for the first time last year. I'm also looking forward to catching up with people again, be it at the Expo, breakfast run, pre-race carb loading dinner or the pub after the race. As for the race the start on the Champs Elysees is very special.

• Hi Tommy - it's hard to beat the start of the Paris marathon - charging down the middle of the Champs Elys??es. And stuffing your face with croissants the next morning.

On a different subject, never park your car on Blackheath. Every time I go round that way for a morning run there's always broken glass and cars with their windows missing. Apparently the highwaymen are still around in modern form.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - Looks like I picked a nice area to stay in for the London marathon, as I'm staying in Blackheath!

• Hi Tommy! Welcome!

Paris was my first marathon this year. I said that if I was going to do it, I was going to do it BIG.

I'm moving from Australia to the northern hemisphere just so I can run it again this yearimage

The best thing about it is the opportunity to meet the people on this thread. Words can't express how fabulous they are.
  • 3 weeks of snow forecast. Keep yer eyes peeled on groupon for cheap gym passes and post the link if u see any. DOH!
  • Jimbob - or get some Yaktrax image .

Eggy - you'll be fine. Blackheath is actually quite posh. Just don't hang around any dark corners late at night looking like a car stereo.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Posh. Ok, chances of me blending in slim to none.

People still steal car stereos! I've not heard of that happening for years. Do they still steal the VW badges off the front of Volkswagons too?

TJB - Snow, not an issue. Just as long as it's not icey.

• RR - ha ha yaktrax mmmm yes and no!

Eggy you mean not an issue for some people. I am not all confident in snow especially on the dark narrow pavements in North London with their hidden tree roots. With my dodgy techique and dodgy ankles, the smooth rubber of a treadmill beckons during the snow season. I'll be getting evil eyes from the regulars waiting for their turn cause i've hogged it for 2 hours!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, Tommy. Welcome to the thread. I'm a Paris veteran...Well, I'm old and that must count for something. I like the Start, the Finish and the pub meet-up best The celebrations should be  particularly good, this year, with the birthdays....but it's all good; apart from the hard bits image I find a fair few of those. You'll have a ball.

The Jimbob,I bet you'd love running with trax on packed snow. There must be some nice parks /parts  in North London. 

And talking of Paris ( I know, I know...), it's freezing here!

Anyone struggling, motivation-wise, is very welcome to join us doing Jantastic  Our team is ' The Bench' as in injury bench so there's no pressure...I think you can join until this weekend.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Um, just joined up to Jantastic (tro127). Do I wait till the end of the week to input my runs or do I add them as I go, confused.com image

• Booked the flights - 6.10am on friday from Manchester. Back monday. 88 quid. not bad.

It is becoming a reality.

PS: the Garm is superbabulous

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Tevor, I'm adding mine as I go. My short-term memory is not up to the weekly thing.I'm definitely going to struggle with the February-March instructions...but the Team includes IT types so that's alright, then... 6 runs a week? Wow..

I know it's not the same, James, but I'm here for 16, Return.... all in. So, more affectionally than taking- the-p***,time for a laugh

• ATM - 16 quid? All the more money left over for a beer or 10.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

ATM - Yep, this is my 8th week of running 6 days a week but 2 of them are recovery runs. Seems to be going ok so far and I have the motivation to try and keep 100% record.

• Hi all,

The weather is lovely here, probably since I can't run image, mild and no wind or rain?!?! Is it really January!!

Good news today!! I have got an interview on Tuesday for the job I applied for just before Christmasimageimageimage I know, I know, I haven't got the job yet but its one step closer than I was before........

I got my stitches out today too. All healing well, and I was told that I would be off work for a few weeks yet although I have to go get another sick line next week. I wonder how, if I am lucky enough to get it, working your notice when signed off sick works?!?!image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Good news all round Kaz
  • Welcome Tommy. It's good to have another 'Mac' on board. I've never ran Paris before but really looking foward to it. These good people all rave about it, so it had better be good. Or else...

James £88! I am considerably more than that from Aberdeen.

A nice easy 10K tonight in 50 minutes. But who switched winter back on?

Good luck with the interview Kaz.