Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I've done intervals in -14C. Nostrils and eyelids started to freeze together. Balaclava and cycling glasses, cover unprotected skin, double up on running tights, make sure you can get in a warm car quickly after running. As for the effect on your lungs, nothing special to say. Scandinavian types do cross-country ski racing in -30 to -40C involving the heaviest breathing possible. No intrinsic reason for it to be unhealthy unless you have other health problems to begin with.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I am based in Denmark. The breathing is the problem really.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

SP13 - Do you have asthma? The folk I know with cold weather breathing problems tend to have a related medical condition.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I once did a hard 6k race in -5. My lungs were hurting for days although fine during the race. I guess it's just practice like swimming in cold water.

Couple of lazy days here. Weather has stopped play image

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I don't have asthma I just find that the cold air hurts and when I come in to warm air again I struggle to catch my breath.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

SP13, have you tried wearing a balaclava and pulling the bottom bit, loosely, over your mouth and nose? It, slighty, warms the air before you breathe it in...

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I can give it a try. I have tried before but I find it very enclosed - but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

But I can hear there are no medical reasons not to run when it is cold if I am otherwise healthy?

• Options
    Finally got hotel and Eurostar booked.

Training going well, and importantly still injury free*

Really looking forward to it now. Hope everyone's well

*goes away to search for some wood to touch
  • Options

wow - 5 OO for a race, and I thought my speed session on tuesday was cold at -2!!  Hated every minute of it!!!  But did it, although had to change to 3 x 1200 with 45 secs recovery then 3 mins rest then repeat.  Only managed 4 reps as initaily did 800m, 200m jog 200m hard, then first 200m hard my hamstring/glute really didn't like it so changed.  But my coughed an awful lot.  But pace was consistent at 7.20mm for the 1200 bits!!! 

Elizabeth, my condolences for your loss, tough.

Kaz:  please take care,and agree with TD, am reasonable but when feel they are really taking advantage and just behaving unacceptably go into as my daughter says "teacher mode" and I really don't take any prisoners, but she knows that if I get to that stage she really deserves it.  But all in all have come through teenage years with both of my relatively unscathed!!!

My adventure run this weekend looks as if it will be snowy!!!!  Heavy snow due here from 4am tomorrow until 11am at the earliest!!  Need to get Miiss PF to school as has AS English Lit exam at 9am, joy!!!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

crikey -8!

Where are you based?

It was -4 for my run at lunchtime... i had to postpone it from last night as it was -9 and despite two pairs of tights, layers top, hat, gloves, buff - i still felt frozen

Elisabeth - i'm sorry to hear about your loss.

@Kaz- take it easy, girl! If you have a doctors note - you should be OK about sick pay. How is the 13year old today?

*waves to everyone else*

• Options

Thanx PF, Good luck to Miss PF tomorrow and to you for Sunday.

Emmy - Thanx. After further investigation today, I have found out I am entiled  to 4 weeks full pay after that its ssp from jobcentre?? As for 13 yr old she came home wanting to talk yesterday, obviously after something.........yip wanting to stay at her friends house on Friday night!! 'Talk' became more of a laying down rules that she had to stick to if she wanted anyform of social life!! Homework, chores, bedtime etc but her main concern was that I am to tough on her and if she gets to go to parties etc she isn't going to turn out like her step sister??? My reply- Not a chance I am willing to take. your 13 and its my duty to care for and protect you - both from others and yourself. Until I feel you are old enough and mature enough there will be no parties, dances etc where I know there will be underage drinking etc!! I will compromise on other things but this is not open for discussion!! she was speaking this morning and helping out so????image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Glad to hear your sorting things out.

Sick pay can be a pain with some companies. My current employer has an awful sick pay policy. We get five days within a calander year and if you exceed that you are signing on for SSP. Thankfully I've not had a day off ill since I started. I've worked for places that didn't pay any at all.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Parenting can be a challenge. Here in the US the legal drinking age is 21. This, despite the fact that you can vote or go off to war to kill people at 18. And college is full of drinking related activities. I'm not advocating drinking alcohol as a way of life, but it's very difficult to enforce on your 19 and 20 year old kid when all they want is a beer with you or at the outdoor barbecue - mostly because I think it's silly.

Time to get back to running. Tomorrow.
  • Options
    Kaz - sounds like the message is getting through, although she may be reluctant to admit it. On SSP, I may be wrong, but I think it's still your employer who pays it, although the govt sets the amount - have a look here https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay-ssp/overview .

I've run in -12 before, and it's not that bad, although it's worth having a buff or similar to pull up over your nose and mouth. Of course, I've chosen today to work from home, when the country is going to be covered in snow tomorrow - timing is everything. Although I did have a laugh this morning about 'commuters struggling to work in temperatures of -3' - isn't that just 'winter'? image
  • Options

RR - Thank you for that. All makes so much more sense than the employees policy handbook!! Thats winter indeed - said like a true scottish lassie!!image

Eggy - What really got me is that, I felt they were telling me I wasn't going to get sick pay so that I would come back to work?? The assistant manager even said that she was told similar guidelines after a c-section and she ignored them. WTF?? Bullying springs to mind!!! For once, I am listening to my doc!image

Danniirr- That does sound so silly indeed. I think I would find that very very hard to enforce too.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, johnny.Welcome to the thread. There's any number of heads on here you could touch...image Our Jantastic team isn't called The ( Injury ) Bench for nothing so well done on staying injury-free so far. That Eurostar sounds as if it's going to be like a works outing..If you'd like to post your mug shot on the Who's Who   send me a jpeg with your number and time goal and I'll add it. It will save you carrying a copy of The Times and wearing a rose in your lapel, come the day...Is this your first marathon? First Paris?

kaz, sometimes they are glad of a ' No'.It means they 've got a good excuse, perhaps, for not doing something they might , secretely, want to avoid. You get cast in the role of witch-mother but it's one we can carry off with some aplomb, me thinks.

12 very-slow k for me, this morning....but it was lovely and sunny. 'had a chat with a chap feeding his chickens.He was in such a good mood...because he says snow is coming and he can't wait to take photographs. I immediately remembered the fun of running on packed snow so I'm excited, too. Yes, yes, I know it might not work out like that but....it might.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - sorry to hear about your dad. Hang in there.

kaz - good to hear you've made progress on the parenting issue. My daughter is 7 and already acting like she has her human rights violated on a regular basis. I will refer back to this thread in 6 years time for advice - or more likely much sooner! image

It was -1 here in outer London - imagine that! I had to wear something called 'gloves'. Without them I would never have left the house - amazing invention. I have already panic bought ready for the blizzards. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz - remind me never to have children! At least she's talking to you now. Hopefully it'll sink in.

@Eggy - we sound like we work for the same company image

I've been working from home today - and just received a call from my colleague. She's just been fired. No additional words, no thank you, nothing. I'm absolutely stunned image

• Options

Abstinence policy for alcohol only seems valid to me if you imagine it can last a lifetime. My [very liberal but sensible?] stance is to get your children used to what it is, so they have more mature reactions than the kids who think it is some kind of token of adulthood and go binge-crazy.  Learn to enjoy - learn to 'dose'. Been exposing them to tasting wine from aged 11, just little sips for a couple of years, moving to their own small glasses with a meal at 14 etc. They are utterly unimpressed at drunken friends so I guess most of my job is done now (in that particular regards).

Wish I had as much success in getting them to love an outdoor life, to try going more than 5 mins 'distance' from Internet access.

Hopefully I am going to try my first intervals session on the turbo bike trainer tonight.

• Options

Hell TD, that sounds just like her.......re the internet connection!!

So I am not wrong in telling her I would let her sample alcohol at home in a controlled enviroment rather than 'sneaking' alcohol elsewhere. phew.....

I want a 'cheap' road bike, nothing fancy, any suggestions??? maybe would have to be road and trail??? I have no idea about these things??? image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm just reading my 'Marathon' Newsletter thing.. nIt seems that, this year, you have to pay 1.99E for the SMS messages with your time...image That was free, before.

Posters can be ordered for 5E and access to ' comfort'..looks like a tent with oranges, massage etc at the finish for...89E!

* Will offer tangerine and massage to any other threader for 88E. Cash only.image *

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Just back from physio.

He pretty much told me off for not resting enough after my initial injury. He demonstrated the differences between the flexibility in both legs.

I've got a bunch of flexibility exercises to do and providing I have about 75% of the flexibility of my good calf in my injured one then I can start running in 2-3 weeks.

So my aim for Paris is to get to the start line and get around.

I can go out on the bike to keep my cardiovascular fitness up.

So the hard work will be not running for a couple of weeks image but at least I'm a bit more hopefull than I was
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Orbutt that's not too bad - bike is a good idea, it certainly helped me for a few weeks.

10 miles for me at 6.15 am...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be even though it was snowing. 

Totally agree about the alcohol at home thing, guys - my Uncle did that with his kids and they were all very cool around alcohol as they got older

• Options
    image ATM - are you offering to wear your balaclava while you do that? You can charge extra for that kind of service.

Orbutt - sounds like it could be worse, hang on in there.

Yer_maj - I'm planning something similar tomorrow morning. Early night with the Horlicks for me tonight.

RS and DLR - you've both been very quiet recently. Are you out there somewhere?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

+ Balaclava =89E. Good marketing idea , RR.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I was going to comment on that... we havent from from Weedy in a while. I hope everyone else is doing well.

@TD - What's the weather like down where you are? We've got -11 according to the reading from our garden temperature this evening... i'm close to freezing point!

OK... so I know you think i'm all crazy anyway.... BUT if there are any people that are interested in the below let me know. With a marathon friend of mine (who i ran the double marathon with)... we are planning on the triple (or the threesome... dependent on how you call itimage).

4th May: Bewl Marathon
    5th May: Richmond Marathon (waiting list but good chance of a place)
    6th May: Milton Keynes marathon

So... who wants to join us? For one or all three? image 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Sooooo....those 3 are all missing.  Together. image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Orbutt - That's a shame. I'm resigned to Paris being a get to the start line in condition that I'll eventually see the finish line. Not how I thought marathon number 10 would be, but I was always doing Paris for the company.

Kaz - Sadly cheap and bike aren't two words that tend to go together. What I would say is set a budget and figure out what style of bike you want. Road bikes are fast, but useless off road. Hybrids are slower but work on roads and easy trails. One option for a faster bike that will work on easy trails is a cyclocross bike (like a road bike but with thicker and stronger wheels and tyres), but they can be expensive. If by trails you mean proper off roading down hills and the like rather than muddy paths then you are best with a mountain bike.

For a new decent entry level road bike you'd be in the £500-600 price range. Obviously cheaper if you look second hand. If your work does the bike to work scheme that's a great way to get a good bike on the cheap.

Well it was a cold and slow 5 miles for me tonight. I know I shouldn't be, but it really is depressing to be doing all my runs at what is slower than last years LSR pace.