Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Feb 10: Exeter Half - Trevor O.
    Feb 17: Bramley 20 - Holeymoley, Tiddy. Brighton Half - Iain M. Nice 10m - Straycelt. Wrexham Half - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Feb 20: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
    Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR.
    Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
    Mar 3: Brugge-Oostende 10-mile - Emmy. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
    Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy.
    Mar 16: Eco Trail de Paris - Emmy, RR.
    Mar 17: Inverness Half - Kaz. Liverpool Half - Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Roy, Pinto, Otis, Billy, Scotty.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Emmy, Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 23: Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.

• Weedy - great work on the list.

Eggy - I can't wait to see Lincoln too.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Have to say I was really disappointed with Lincoln...

• lovin yer work Weedy!

Django? On the whole - Bloody Great! (but i'm a Tarantino fan).  The first hour was magnificent. Like parts of Ingourious Basterds there were some fantastic scenes/moments. It's not for everyone at 2hr.45min. (some of you can run a blimmin marathon in that time). As with the Basterds, Christophe Waltz steals the show.

OK just been for Docs appt. got the medical certificate (no charge) - he was impressed with my weight loss and reduction in cholestoral level. So i have Hotel, Train and certificate. thats all the admin out of the way.

A girl in my office found a blue envelope (like a birthday card envelope) on the bus stop bench this morning on her way into work. It said on the front "Open me ". She opened it and inside was a £10 note with a hand written post-it reading "A well needed Monday pick-me-up on a day like today ...... image" "#givemondays  www.givemondays.com"

• And do you have Tough Balls Fiona?!
  • TD::  I got the tee shirt!!!  No balls though - although I did look for the balls of steel but found none!!!!  Do you know where I can find any???  As ever you are a true oracle, just read your post about speed work can trigger old injuries, well last weeks session aggravated my "piriformis" so back at physio for preventative measures rather than the "ostrich" approach of last timeimage.  But if anyone ever has a chance to do an adventrue run, please go for it immense fun!!!!

• imageimageimageimage  When I return to work next week, I will be going in with my letter of resignation!!!!! All unofficial as yet, but just been told by the manager for Orkney!!!!imageimageimageimageimage

• Congratulatons Kaz - don't resign until you get it in writing!!

First run in a while this am - it's pretty grim out there. I'm in NI and we don't get the sort of extremes like at home in the NorthEast (and the rest of GB currently) so respect to you all out there in the real snow. I have repeatedly found convenient excuses in Newcastle for the last fortnight... 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yay Kaz - Super Postie image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Great news Kaz. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Great news Kaz - I was just wondering when you'd hear when I was out this morning.

10k recovery for me this morning...tired legs and VERY icy - didn't wear my yaktrax as I thought more of it had melted.  Won't be making that mistake tomorrow image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Great news Kaz!

Lovely run with a friend and his dog yesterday. Nice to be back to a more normal pace - get the exhilarating feeling that makes you remember why you do this in the first place.

Lincoln - excellent movie.

The Impossible - fairly good
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Well done Kaz!

Dont know why everyone is talking of the weather. Down in the southwest we seem to have avoided all the snow but was pretty cold doing 18miles yesterday. Furthest I have run but went loads better than the 16miles a couple weeks back other than a touch of cramp right near the end.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's terrific news, kaz! * Get it in writing...image * You'll love it and what a way to cross-train...image

• Thanx folks. I just had to go in and sign a declaration thing, which according to manager is usually done on first day. My written confirmation won't come until Sheffield office has it butimageimage Then I have to go to Inverness for a training day, before I can officially start.

My face feels like its been sandblasted(or what I think it would if it had been!!) Took dog out for a  hike and got caught in worst hailstones ever or maybe its just the gale force wind that made them feel that bad! Anyway better get used with it!!!image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You're going to love it - sandblasting and all image

• Jimbob - My Doc was reluctant to sign it. Did your Doc have any reservations?

11 miles done on Saturday. Felt very comfortable. Did it in 1 hour 45 mins. I upped the pace a little to get it over with because it was getting very cold. Got some funny looks though.

• JB, he asked me if i had run a marathon before. he was impressed with my physical condtion compared to the last time i saw him. He asked me if i had any heart defects, which i replied i wasn't aware of any and there was nothing on the computer screen to contradict that. He asked about my epilepsy and we agreed i last had a grand mal 19 years ago (he previously signed my driving licence form so was ok). I explained this is standard practice for the french events requesting a medical certificate (as opposed to UK where you just check a box agreeing it's your risk) and he had no reservations at all - he went about preparing me a certificate but i produced the one from the Paris website which he signed and stamped. I've always liked this Doc hence i've never left him even tho i moved out of the area.

• My Doctor was very sceptical about it and asked other Drs in the practice whether they had done anything like this in the past. He also went on the website to see if there was anything on there to say what was needed in the examination. I assured him that it was a backside covering exercise. Checked blood pressure, weight and listened to my heart. I thought for one moment he wasn't going to sign. I told him if anything did happen then I would tell the wife not to sue the practice (beforehand). Not that they would anyway. I went £18 lighter in my pocket though.

I can understand why he was reluctant in this day and age.

He mentioned Fabrice Muamba and his hidden heart defect. Exactly, I said, it was hidden. So even with all the tests pro footballers have they couldn't find anything so I wouldn't expect him to find it.

Signed now anyway. Thankfully.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I've had my hair cropped.  Not entirely sure if I am roocking the Gamine or the Lesbian Nazi look.  It's a fine line, frankly....image

• Nothing wrong with cropped hair YM. I am sure its mega sexy.........and not in the Lesbian way!image

I never had a problem with my certificate last yr, and will be using the same doc this yr. I did mention it at my check up last week, and she laughed!! Like you TJB she also signs my driving license and anything else needed regarding that.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

MY GP signed mine no bother last year- in fact he kicked me out sharpish as I was recovering from the mighty Norovirus...

Kaz - pics on faceache...

• it would be good if we could get these certificates submitted by uploading a PDF to MdP/ASO website. It'll slow everything right down if they're checking peoples' Medical certificates/asking questions when dishing out the racepacks on the Saturday. It's gonna be "queue carnage"! image

I'm gonna email them - see if i can use the jedi mind trick to get them to change their procedure!

• Good Luck TJB!!!

Loving the pics YM.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

JB, my neurons ( both of them...) are locked onto your mind trick.The email system was a huge improvement on the postal one. Going for a ' rela time' show of certificates sounds like a nightmare. I'm doing the Half so I'll let you know how that goes. Good luck with the approach.

• YerMaj:  Rocking Gamine look, makes me want to go for the Anne Hathaway hair cut on my next visit!!  Stunningimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well thank you.... image  Anne Hathaway's hair is ace at the mo...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I've had my hair cropped to the shortest it's been since I was a wean. I picked the right weather for short hair! image