Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Dan- It's a dastardly French plot to nobble the British contingent of marathonersimage 

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Peter - funny!   These forums need a "like" button

• Options

Yer_Maj "Dream Goal Time".  I would have thought that was still some years away. A friend said that he felt he got the hang of running marathons after the first 15. Your next marathon is just 'the next marathon' and you are much more likely to realise an ultimate goal with more experience and training behind you.  It's much better to see the next race as a stepping stone on the way.  I did 5 o r6 maras before going sub3 (my main goal) on the 6th or 7th (can't remember now). And I went faster again on the 8th and 10th, so don't panic.

Beasted myself for an hour on an indoor bike yesterday. Never seen so much sweat fall out of me. Could barely keep my eyes open.

Good news for people interested in the "In The Long Run" summer event. I'll be sending out the brochure and application form tonight. Bratislava to Brussels run in July, 1.250kms. image

• Options

words of wisdom from Tricky again, training  seems easier this time around, I would describe myself as a lazy beginner destined for the pink pen of life, but I seem to be better prepared this time around, I think the issue last year was the fear of the unknown - my body knows what a  20 training run feels like and knows it can do it,  and I know it will be here soon - but I survived it the last time and I know I will survive it again... but not for a while yetimage

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    DV - Tunbrige Wellsmade the news here today. Sulphur smell making people ill. Hope you are all ok.

I heard that too, but haven't noticed anything...  apparently it's those pesky Frenchies and a leak from a factory in Rouen... the wind blew it this way...   we're all ok, thanks.

TD..  you have an amazing ability to recover and bounce back from near death, but you do worry me...   is there no switch inside you for 'taking it easy'..?  I fear you are heading at sub-3 pace back to your doctor with more knee problems...

• Options

Must admit that I too beasted myself on the rowing machine yesterday, all in the name of a game called Fish!!  Basically you had to not get eaten by big black fish, I loved it, distracted me so much after the 3rd game was asked to move as rowing machine at busy times was only used to 30mins, duely apologised and moved.  Also did 30mins on cross trainer - hated it, but hr only at 130 and as hard as I tried struggled to make it go higher even though thought was working really hard obviously not!!!!

At physio this morning and hopefully will be told I can trott still and just need "preventative" stuff on achilles and piriformisimage but as you all know I will do as I'm told!!!! as always.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD - true enough.  Sub 4 is asking too much this time I think...

Loads more snow here overnight...and after yesterday's miserable experience I'm contemplating giving my recovery run a miss.  It's only 6 miles but I can't really face it.  Maybe later.

• Options

We had more snow overnight too, not much but everything this morning is sheet iceimage It made the school walk, and dog walk interesting. I can't run, but so far this week I have managed to walk 20 miles  with probably another  5 later.

Will it help when I get back to running???image

• Options

Thanks for the concern DV.  My back to training ramp up has been quite smooth and certainly not aggressive. I looked at some training charts earlier this morning and sure enough, the ramp is relatively shallow in nature compared to previous programmes (measured by Training Impulse - TRIMP - scores).  Right now I don't even have a programme, nor any end goals.  Am simply enjoying the ability to be training again.

The really tough sessions have all been done inside a gym, so no heavy impact on my weak spot - the knee - either on a turbo or a treadmill. Stressing the heart, not the joints. Long run was also done on snow.  If it had been dry, I would never have gone so far and I certainly wouldn't attempt intervals on a tarmac surface.  Much too early to try that.  I am carefully evaluating after each session how I feel and never doing hard sessions back to back.  Also, I haven't run on consecutive days since last May.

So all in all, I am managing my return to running risk, but it's in the background. I might be 'mad for it' but I'm not madimage

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - It was my 8th marathon I managed to go sub 4. Although my natural athletic ability to use a good Scottish word is minging. The way things are going just now I think I'll be lucky to go 4:30 in Paris this time around!

What ever time you do in Paris it should be a huge gain on what you did last year. I took nearly an hour off between my first and second marathons (5:15 to 4:16), but looking at that second marathon time I've not really shifted much in the following seven marathons bar Paris last year!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'll be absolutely over the moon with 4:10 this year, which would be a 45 minute pb - I did 4:56 last year.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Going on your sub 2 half time that is certainly possible. When I ran that 4:16 it was in October 2007 six weeks after having ran a 2:02 at my first ever Glasgow half marathon.

Kaz - Knowing you I wouldn't be worried about stamina or fitness for your return to running. I'd be more concerned with you ramping up the mileage far too quickly.

• Options

Yer_maj - With your half time, as Eggy says, that is certainly more than achievable, especially  with your dedicated training at the moment.

Eggy - As if I would do that!image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It'll be pushing it - it's only a sub 2 by the skin of my teeth....but fingers crossed!!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Well that 2:02 was my half PB at that point too and I wasn't running anything like a P&D plan for that marathon. I think my highest mileage week back then was less than 40 miles! image

I didn't set a goal time for that marathon right enough. I just went out to see what I could do. In fact in those days I didn't even time my training runs, or vary my sessions. Everything was just a go out and run session! I expected to be a bit quicker, but was shocked that I took nearly an hour off my time ten months after running my first marathon.

• Options
    JB73 - great story! The doctor may have his priorities somewhat awry.

Dave - no, I get what your wife means. Effectively I would expect a physical and my GP made me have an ECG, blood pressure check etc. before issuing. It was basically a well-man check up. Which was reassuring to him and me. This year he was happier to sign. (He's such a nice bloke he didn't charge me either.)

TD - looking forward to hearing about The Long Run...

Eggy/YM - 4hr30 in Paris this year would be a great time for me!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - Right now 4:30 would be a great time for me, but I'm still clinging to the hope of some improvement over the next ten weeks.

• Options
    I must sneak a peak and see who she has got to sign HER medical certificate !
  • Options

Shrewsbury have their first marathon in June. A 4 lap course. I am certainly tempted by this.

As Paris would be my first marathon (all being well and good) do you think it would be too soon to commit myself to a second marathon 2 months later.

I have wondered how to deal with the training aspect  and whether you would just start at week 8 of a 16 week schedule.

I am not sure whether I am running before I can walk so to speak.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image'Got my Certificate.

Now, then * 'Mum' voice...* It's not a bad idea to scan your certificate and send yourself a copy on a web-based mail system. Then, when you discover that you've left the original at home.....Internet Cafe etc etc. Ditto, adding yourself to the Moblies list in due course to avoid solo panicking.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

James - I'd say it's possible. Not sure how best to tackle training for it though. I guess Emmy could given you some pointers, as she seems to run a marathon every other week.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

James - wow, that's where I grew up and where my parents still live - I might do that one just for a bit of fun....do you have a link or do I have to look it up all by myself??!  I'm having a month off after Paruis and I'm doing Beachy head in October so it would be a slow run for me if I do it.

Just had a look and I might just do the Half - I have a hen do the weekend before which isn't going to help the cause!!

ATM - I obsessively send everything to my dropbox...

• Options

Got myself in a cheeky little 10K at lunchtime. My office is just 250m from the entrance to a parc and forest and with a fair bit of fog and frost, it was really beautiful and calm. Great environment to plod around in the snow. image

• Options

I used to live outside Shrewsbury - out towards Church Stretton. Parents still there. Which means run and beer time. Which makes it quite attractive.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

One man's plod is another (wo)man's sprint finish....

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

James - whereabouts?  My parensts still live in the hosue they bought when I was 18 months old...

• Options

I lived in Dorrington for about 5 years. My parents and sister live just outside in the country. Used to work in Shrewsbury for a while before moving the Chester.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I know Dorrington well...I used to go out with a boy from Frodesley - he may well be running this one too as we're still good friends.

Just signed up for the Half.  That should ensure us a heatwave that weekend....notice there are a couple of cheeky hills up Ashton & Kennedy Roads...

• Options

I still go into the Horsehoes regularly. It's changed quite a lot in the last ten years. From memory I think there was a pub called the Swan in Frodesley. But I think this has closed down now.

I would also use the Pound at Leebotwood and the Bottle and Glass. Plus the very nice curries in Jaipurs in Church Stretton.

Not that I use pubs and Indians very much image.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mr Weedy Fairy...can you put me down for the Shrewsbury HM on 23rd June....thanky ...