Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Dave - Paris tri demands a similar form to the marathon (in fact, identical wording, except for the word 'triathlon' instead of 'running race'). And I've also seen a similar form needed for a cross country ski race. The moral of that is - ask your doctor to sign as many forms as you are likely to do sports in France, all at once. Including tiddly winks, whatever that is in French.
  • Not if you have a UK tri licence. I can produce that instead of a medical certificate
  • Ah, that would make sense.

Today's lesson learned is that seafood linguine is not an appropriate lunch if you're planning an evening session that involves 10 x 100m sprints image . I should be refuelling but the thought of food is making me feel green image .
  • But you don't have to have a medical to get a UK tri licence tho
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Italy  ( Well, Venice at least..)accepts proof of membership of a 'foreign' runner's ' home' sports federation...if it's affiliated to something-ot-other.. in place of the , detailed, Italian medical certificate. I offered them my ' Paris' one and they were happy with that but confirmed that membership of Scottish Athletics was enough for them, anyway, even though we don't have the annual medical that Italian runners do.So, I tried the same thing for France. The answer was...

...Non

Accepting a UK Tri licence seems illogical, Dave,...but let's not go there.

• 5 sets of volleyball tonight. Ouch, my legs hurt.
  • Had a nice 8 miles tonight at my target pace. Gonna try and run back from Watford to Finchley tomorrow on or around the A41. It'll be about 11 or 12 mile, planning to take my time on that one.
  • Dannirr - can't wait to see Zero Dark. Thanks for the feedback.

TD - got to agree with you completely re: sensible approach with med certificate. I think the major annoyance for the threaders seems to be the variability in their doctor's response...

Kaz - I know you'll ignore it but if I was your doctor I wouldn't be signing your certificate either at this point... Patience...!
  • Iain - I am not ignoring it! I am in fact being very good re the running and not doing any as much as its 'doing my heed' in!!imageimage I just asked about it to save me another trip to the docs in a few weeks!!

The strom seems to have gone, so hoping to get some more brisk walking in today, before returning to work tomorrow - I don't want tooimage Its very strange, I thought that after nearly 5 weeks off work I would be very very bored but no! Not bored and not runningimageimage

• I only meant a tri licence for doing triathlon in France I have a cert for the marathon
  • You'll be fine Kaz, take yer all your marathon finisher medals just in case. Then the Doc will see that your body is well used to running that distance. When are you going for your first run?
  • TJB - The doc says 6 weeks but I am sooo tempted to go now?? I feel all is ok but at the same time scared incase I do some further injury by going out??? It is so calm here today after yesterdays storms that a run would be amazing.image Doc knows that I run but she just wants everything to be healed properly before she signs anything! Maybe she thinks that if she signs it I wouldn't come for another check-up!!! My doctors dad used to run marathons too but at sub 3 pace!!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

No.no.no, kaz. image You're nearly better, you've got the new job.Don't  **** it up, woman

• 6 weeks! split the difference? image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Err...I'd just changed my mind about that unsolicited advice when I hit ' submit'...Please don't go, though. Take the doc's, advice, please.After all, she's spent years reading hard-backed booked with no pictures to get to be advising you. * I'll go for a run and send you the details. Save you the hassle. *

• Hahaha ATM,

TJB - If  I split the difference of 4-6 weeks, thats 5 which means I still have to wait until Monday.

I am letting my head rule this one, the fact that I am worried about doing injury,  in itself tells me that I know(deep inside my thick head) that I am not ready to run! So more brisk walking with my wee boy today again. I have been good and patient another few days will not hurt.imageimageimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - I went to the physio about my injury. One of the things that he told me, and makes great sense, is that the body only heals at a certain pace. Some people may heal faster than others - but it will be a matter of days, not weeks.

Doctors know this kind of thing. They may err on the conservative side but they do know stuff. (Didn't you say your Dr was a runner too?)

Don't split the difference. Give it the 6 weeks (or close to). You are too close to the event now to risk another injury that will put you out - all for the sake of a week.

Best to run Paris slowly than not at all.

• imageimage A lovely 4 mile brisk walk D&D, another this afternoon.

Orbutt - I do fully agree,  which is why I am letting my head rule this one! After everything thats happened this last 6 months, 7-10days isn't going to do any harm! And besides that, I think, letting my body adjust slowly to going back to work etc is enough without the added strain of training. imageimage

• Anyone know how the San Domenico running club in Cardiff got its name? Yer Maj?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

No idea.  About that or, in fact, pretty much anything else...

• Went for a run while visiting friends near Brighton last weekend, 15.1 miles in 2:02 which I'm relatively happy with, my previous longest run being a half-marathon. So much nicer running down there than it is at home (maybe it was just the change of scenery, but it felt more interesting too). Aiming for just under 4hrs, and I think that puts me on target. Need to start looking into refueling for these longer runs now, I recon, the last 15 minutes felt quite brutal.

This thread has just reminded me I should really get that medical certificate out of the way soon.

• Operation Relocation is underway. At Hong Kong airport in the lounge. Thank goodness Mr Maus has a fancy gold card that makes people be nice to us. We also splurged to upgrade, so I really can't complain. And any time I do open my mouth to complain, a stewardess shoves some more food or booze in it. Diet. Must. Start. Soon.

Haven't run all week. It's a bloody miracle I got on the plane at all. Poor Mr Maus. He's come along to 'drop me off' but he'll then return to the chaos I've left behind. Running will just have to wait until I get to the Island and don't feel like I've been hit by a bus...
  • Safe travels MM. Hope you've packed your thermals!

• Daddsy, I'm no expert but I would say that you are well on target for a sub 4. Average just over 8 mins a mile for 15 miles is some going. However, I feel - just as I got with previous long run times - you may get told off for your long run being too fast. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Safe travels MM image Welcome to the UK - we've brought in extra rain and wind just for you image

Now... just in case anyone is inclined.... this sounds like fun!

• Not sure about that Emmy

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My groin has been attended to by my osteopath.  No running for a few days though image

Good luck Maus!

• I would love to do it Emmy, but maybe another year. No way I will get time of work, and given current situation maybe a touch ambitious for me this year!

YM - Hopefully it will help. Come keep me company........