Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Bonjour pc91. Etiquette wise, I always try to avoid farting in a marathon in the starting pens. Once you get going, it's pretty hard to pin down the blame so its safe to let it rip. and that little issue aside, I try to smile a lot and not shove people if they are in my way and the crowds always appreciate a smile, wave or joke if they have given your cheer.

So Kaz, will you publish your running data on Garmin Connect or Strava so we can hold you to account for your level of effort? It's another way of saying can we as your crowd of running friends help you do the right thing to get the most complete recovery?

Lovely day one and all.
  • Quick BTW. I started reading The Chimp Paradox last night by Dr.Steve Peters, they guy who is the Head Psychiatrist for the British Olympic team, and most notably the guy who worked withnBritish Cycling and Bradley Wiggins.

All I can say is the psychological model he is introducing is funny, insightful, easy to read and somewhat profound. I'd recommend this book to all of you, not just in being able to manage the inner mind when running a marathon, but for better self-understanding and life in general. Cheers.
  • Hey pc91 the only advice I would give, is find some way not to need a pee at the start, seriously, as you will end up going in the pen in front of a zillion people.  Oh, on a prudish front - TD - you admit to farting! You have been away from British shores too long my friend, too long....

Kaz, I know you well enough to kow that nothing can keep you from the great outdoors and your running shoes, big hug and I will see you for a beer at the end whatever state you arrive in image (just don't bring the dog, I'm a bit scared of big dogs)

• Has Kaz been naughty?  Does she need a spanked bottom?

My experience of motion control vs minimalist is that for several years I was 'prescribed' strong support or motion control shoes at shoe shops, and couldn't run more than 20 miles/ 3 runs a week without shin splints, for which the solution offered in the shops was even more support.

In 2009 I started wearing neutral shoes after upping my cadence and starting to fore/mid foot strike and the lower leg pains disappeared.  Spent most of the last 3 years or so wearing lightweight racing shoes.   I think I'd struggle to transition to genuine zero drop shoes because of the tendency toward calf tightness but 9-12mm drop seems to work ok for me.

Now, off to find my paddle...

• PC91 wrote (see)
    Cheers for the info. Btw I've found the quote, goodnight weedy.

Hmmm, that changes things. I was thinking it was a plot point, either a comedy where someone eats shellfish and has a bad reaction to it, or a James Bond type thriller where someone's bumped off with powdered clam slipped into a drink.

But if it's a quote... Annie Hall? There's the scene where he's cooking the lobster for Diane Keaton. Racking my brains trying to think if he asks he if she's allergic to shellfish. Dammit, I should know that, it's a top film and a top scene.

If it's not Annie Hall it has to be a movie where two people are getting to know each other. Maybe When Harry Met Sally or something along those lines.

I'll keep thinking...

Off for a short run to test my achilles...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Morning, PC91.Welcome to the thread.Etiquette? Some people...well, guys..image..don't like being' asked' to move aside by a firmish hand on their person.It's not the challenge that it might seem...I kinda like the random contact...image

TD! TD! Always deny it. Even if there's only two of you. And you're in a lift..

• I have farted once when in a group of runners. 

Was a running club jaunt, we'd just set off and there was a momentary lull in conversation and, well, it just happened.  Quite loudly. 

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to give a quick sideways 'dirty look' at the deaf runner in the group, who remained oblivious to his crime.

• Still Huffin!image

Two long walks is on the plan today, one with my big mutt and one to and from a little job I have to do. Then with any luck, since the boats are now sailing my 'little' package from RS will arrive........I'm excited......and it is all part of my easy recovery plan!!

TD - I don't have garmin or strava!

• Right Orbutt. Annie Hall. Final answer. Can't recall the quote but it fits and it's something he'd say. If I'm wrong, I don't know what it is. Or was it her saying it to him?

Kaz - Great news. Hope weather's okay.

Emmy - this any use?... image

/members/images/727962/Gallery/pic.jpg

• No, must have been him saying it to her

• Weather report Weedy - Freezing with light snow covering ice, slight wind, Bright skies..........so as long as I wrap up well and walk very briskly all will be fine except for the poor hounds paws with the salt.image

• Oh Weedy...I think you may have ruined that image for a few....

My quads are aching like buggers today after yesterday's little gait change....just aheda of tomorrow's 20 miles.  Oh deep joy image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - Perfect!

Weather Report: Looks like rain, could be snow.It's Brussels so you never knowimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - sorry, no. RR Nailed it. It's from Men in Black 2, When K is being de-neuralised by Jeebs.

TD - just reading the Chimp Paradox myself. Very interesting concept and I can see the value but (rather strangely) I'm getting a wee bit irritated by the use of the word Chimp, every sentence. It'll be interesting to see how this equates to elite sports people - is it the Chimp that is competitive?

• I've just ordered it too...plus a couple of new games for our holiday next week.  It's pretty much the only time that we play family board games/card games and it's become a real tradition.  Sadly, Himself and Himself Jr have banned Cluedo this year.  They're pissed off because I have won every single game for the last 3 years....image

• Orbutt - knickers, I was going too highbrow.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Oh Weedy...I think you may have ruined that image for a few....

Sorry Yer Maj, I can only apologise. That's the third time you've told me off this year. I really, really should learn to keep my gob shut. What is it they say about three strikes?...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - Have you thought that Yer_maj might like telling you off? image

• Weedy - that'll be £750 please

Mr Maj is home next week after 4 months away so I'll be able to stop telling you guys off...

Just booked a biomechanical assessment at the Running School in Bristol for next Monday image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Just booked a biomechanical assessment at the Running School in Bristol for next Monday image

I was listening to marathon talk last weekend and i'm more and more convinced to get one done myself. Can you give us a feedback Yer_maj for how it goes and what they 'discover'?

@Weedy - I'm more than happy to tell you off once Mr. Maj is back image

• Bloody heck its all getting very serious........Running School!!

Interesting thou..........if only there was one here!

Bike has arrived!!!imageimage

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I was listening to marathon talk last weekend and i'm more and more convinced to get one done myself. Can you give us a feedback Yer_maj for how it goes and what they 'discover'?

I shudder to think what they'll discover, frankly image

Excellent - interchangeable nagging....

• Audrey - admitting to farting - well to be frank, anyone who suffers from gluten intolerance (so that's Princess Fiona, Kaz and myself on this thread, maybe some lurkers too), we could fart for our country if we've eaten the wrong kind of stuff.  And I promise that is the ONLY time it happens, honest, cross my heart, hope to get spanked by Emmy or Yer_Maj. image

Cracking gym session this lunchtime. I have achiness radiating up and down my legs and over my chest. I so hope I can run some races this year. My Inner Chimp is well up for it.  Yes Orbutt, the word is a bit overused but it's a convenient characterisation and shorthand for much more complex stuff. He doesn't go on about our Amygdala or Reptillian Brain, or list off loads of complex chemical neuro-transmitters.  I'm still kind of amused by the Chimp jumping up and down because it wants to be pacified.

The next book to read on my shelf is called "Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow" by a fancy-pants Economist and academic.  I don't think it will have many amusing concepts so I am going to enjoy my Chimp. Ooh-ooh-ooh, aah-aah-ahh if you know what I mean. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I shudder to think what they'll discover, frankly image

Excellent - interchangeable nagging....

Maybe that you're superbly aligned and the shoes are just all wrong for you? image

As I keep telling Mr. Emmy - I don't nag: I give advice.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

And I promise that is the ONLY time it happens, honest, cross my heart, hope to get spanked by Emmy or Yer_Maj. image

I've been reading 50 shades of crap so I know the theory...I just need the practice image

• whoah this is getting into some dirty talking here hee hee, what am I missing.  Did some good ski-ing in the alps, lots of running on the treadmill and some cycling too, swimming and am back home - knackered.  Chucking it down with icicles this morning - I kid you not, so I was mighty soaked after my 10,5k.  But it was nice to be running on the road again.  No snow yet, but I've got my yaktrak things - they are lethal, and I aim to use them.

I read the "Loneliness of a long distance runner" whilst away - mmm..!  Think I'll stick to Ian Rankin.

• Good to hear there's plenty of snow in the Alps - I'm off to Alpe d'Huez next week...and getting very excited about it too!!

Where did you go?

• @pc91 - where in France do you live? I l ive in Dept. 82

• Really i thought i put those s&m sites behind me, but with leather-corset-clad yer_maj and her stretchy groin, Tricky having some mono-y-mono with his excitable chimp and Emmy ready to dish out 50 shades of Spanking i feel like i've walked to some highbrow masonic sex party masquerading as a forum for Marathon runners taking part in a race.image

Weedy, surely next month's issue of Runners World is strictly top shelf material ....... ?

• I'd like to point out that this only happened since DLR came back...

• went to Flaine, loads of snow, got a mate in Alp D'h now and there is plenty of the white stuff.  Good luck. 

All this talk of farting too - phew!  It usually is a stinky start to most races image  and I always wonder if anyone has taken too many gels and powerade....eek, I think that's Sharting - now that's from a film too!! image