Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks Tricky and Orbutt. Definitely the answers I was looking for!

• Options

I think the whole thread went bonkers last year at taper time...

Oooooft that was hard work this morning.  2nd 20 miler done, 2 more to go...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Coiled spring. Trev'...coiled spring image

Well done, yer_ maj. You seem so much better-prepared this year than last. April's going to be great.

And now in other News...One of the Master ATMs is off to a new job in Mexico City. He's delighted and we're delighted for him. * Don't mention murder/drugs/corruption etc etc..He's full of beans and it'll be great. *

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

You're a machineimage I'm building up for a 10 mile on Sunday

Quick question, My reduced plan calls for me to do a 20 mile run 4 weeks before Paris. I have a Half, 3 weeks before - and then taper is due to start.

I know that I can't make up for lost training and I shouldn't cut into the taper period but what distance should I, sensibly, run 2 weeks before the race?

Or - should I do a run on the day before the Half and then reduce as normal?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - think of the holidaysimage

• Options

Better prepared, in that my quads are now so sore I'm struggling to walk down the stairs...image

But nothing hurts unless I'm walking so it's just muscle fatigue image

Mentally I am finding the long runs easier this year.  My own company got a bit tedious after about 3 hours today (astonishing, I know....) but I womanfully pushed through.

I fear a brutal OROD session coming on later.

ATM - time to book your holidyas.  I hear Mexico City is nice at this time of year...

Orbutt - somebody with some sense will be along in a minute.  Maybe.

• Options
    Orbutt- I seem to remember a wise man saying last year that your miles should be no longer than how many days to the race?? I.e 14 days no more than 14 miles??

Well done on another 20 ym.
  • Options

Orbutt - just for reference, Kaz isn't the "someone with sense"image

• Options
  • Options

7 miles post tonsilitus (still on the meds for a few more days) morning jog this morning at 8m20s per mile. Felt good!

Gonna see how the intervals fair tomorrow. Gearing up for a Sunday 20 mile / Febulous target is 18 but did 19 last week so feel ready for a 20.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of my Mother's passing to Acute Myloid Leukaemia - that was a tough couple of weeks in my life. More importantly today is the 6th birthday of my eldest daughter Alice (funny how life is like that - i kinda like it that way, it felt like she held on for Alice's birthday. One of the last things she asked me to do before she went into deep pain-managed sleep was to buy Alice a (her first) bike from her)image  

• Options

Oooh well done Jimbob, sad about your ma, but happy birthday to Alice. 

Just done my 5k for the day, 8 tomorrow then 13  on Sunday, you all seem to be doing a lot more than me.....image  My longest is 32k's in a few weeks - eeek. 

ATM - Mexico, sounds great, just stay away from guys who look mean!! they seem to be chucking people down wells over there - not nice...! image

It's just started to snow again - I'm SOOO looking forward to getting those traxchains on my trainers - how sad am I?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    TJB - hard times mate but the good memories that you have will see you through. Hold them close and cherish them.

Kaz - makes sense. I mean the bit about the number of days, not the other bit image
  • Options
    Just keep smiling TJB. It seems to work most of the time.

Orbutt. A lot depends on your power of recovery and how much fatigue you build up in the weeks before the taper, so there's no way we can give precise guidance. I've run a reasonably relaxed half mara race at about 80% effort the week before a full mara and had no issues with it, but I was we'll trained.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about doing 13-14 miles two weeks to go, just don't do them fast.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    TD - I'm not too concerned about the half (except for maybe adding some miles the day before) more about the week after. Could I go for a longer run - 17-20 miles - or is it best to stick to 10 to 13 miles?
  • Options
    TJB - happy birthday to Alice - it must be a strange day for you today. Hope the tonsils are behaving.

Kaz - good news on the start date. Are you allowed to get panniers for the dog, to help you carry the post image ?

ATM - right now the idea of Mexico, or in fact anywhere warm, sounds most attractive. He'll be fine - I'm sure he's his mother's son image .

Thursdays are turning into Improving Days for me. No running, but I have a French class at lunchtime and Pilates in the evening. I may not be be all that fast but I can aspire to be tres elegante a Paris. (And maybe one day also work out how to post letters with accents in Safari image ).
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

TJB, we have one son born on a significant anniversary and I find it very helpful.so, Happy Birthday, Alice, her Granny's grand-daughter, and  a vibrant reminder.

And, now, the $64,000 question. Where are OO and NGUG? Is it OK to start wild rumours that they are somewhere together? image I miss them ...and need another look at the List.

• Options
    ATM Shall I Facebook NCUG?

Anyone get into GNR on the ballot, RS?

Cheers for the nice words peeps. Just got A to bed a little tired and wired, fuzzbook video of A's cake is up.

God I feel like a blob after having fish n chips at a restaurant and birthday cake. Extra miles tomorrow to burn off some of that lard
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - if you don't mind me asking. As part of your sub 4:30 training, are you getting support from your mentor offline? There don't seem to be many messages from them on your forum - you seem to be doing most of that yourself along with other regular contributors.

DV is Paris List Fairy
  • Options

It all feels like its starting to get serious now, or is that the nerves?  Due for a 16/18 or further with wings this weekend - my cunning plan is to be dropped off at Linlithgow and not stop running till I can smell a bacon roll..... linear runs may be the answer for non competitive/lazy lone runners - I think it may be the way to go.....

Jimbob, I ran Paris last year on the anneversery of my partners death - very emotional but also cathartic - not to be too much of a drama queen but running helped me grieve in  a healthy way, I moved physically where I couldn't emotionally.

ATM, will keep you posted about running next week - see how I go tomorrow image

RR, however slow you go, you can always run with me, I will be bringing up the rear, so to speak image .  To be honest I don't care how I get round, I know you guys will wait for me in the pub image

• Options

Sorry to hear about that Audrey..  

I will re-post the List...  and if anyone is missing, please let me know...

I am now majorly behind on my running...   I've got my first 100 mile ultra of this year in about 6 weeks and I haven't done any proper running for about two months...  this will be a good test of my residual fitness..   I can't see my schedule easing up either..  will need to book a couple of days off and just do it..   life just gets in the way sometimes...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DV - if anyone can do it, you can image

• Options

Question for y'all:  when a training run calls for at marthon pace, is there any training benefit to be derived from running it faster than marathon pace?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Ah you are so sweet ATM. Fear not I'm still here. Not running great at the moment but still hoping for a 3:15 at London. I'd post more about my condition but would only risk the DV finger wag which always puts the fear of god in me.

Personal view but I would not run a race 1 week before a marathon- especially not 1/2 marathon. I'm doing a 10k 2 weeks out from London. I'll spent the last Sunday on a long steady run, without putting temptation in the way.  

• Options

Hope everyone has a good "running" weekend. I'm off for my Friday 8, then rest tomorrow and 13 on Sunday.  It's snizzling still, secretly hoping it really snows so I can get those chains on, but it's looking unlikely.

Keep warm and safe.

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Question for y'all:  when a training run calls for at marthon pace, is there any training benefit to be derived from running it faster than marathon pace?

To my mind Dan, yes and no. 

To do it either deliberately and appreciably faster throughout seems like an added stress for limited benefit but if you find you naturally run the marathon pace  a few seconds faster without trying it's just a sign that you may be in better shape than you thought. 

Doing the last mile or two a wee bit faster is limited risk and I like the fact that 1) it leaves me finishing mentally strong, 2) it teaches my body to handle cumulative fatigue 3) its good discipline for race day - and in every marathon I've ran the final mile has been my fastest.  I suppose in Brain Training/Central Governor theory terms it's teaching the CG to release the breaks when the end is in virtual sight.

• Options
    Similar to Onetit I did 8 very very wet miles last night and am doing a 13 mile run tomorrow. Looking forward to it because half of it is off road. Though its a bit hilly for my liking.

Have a good weekend all
  • Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    TD - I'm not too concerned about the half (except for maybe adding some miles the day before) more about the week after. Could I go for a longer run - 17-20 miles - or is it best to stick to 10 to 13 miles?

Don't go long 1 week before a mara Orbutt. 10-13 miles is OK as long as slow. Doing any further is definitely going to bring unnecessary fatigue along on the big race day. 

Dannirr wrote (see)

Yes, as long as you are aware of the trade-off. You may get some additional Lactate Threshold benefit but you'll also incur significant extra fatigue. If that extra fatigue pushes you closer to an injury or stops you doing your hard sessions with the right quality the foillowing week, then it wasn't worth it.

Did a nice 14k at lunchtime, a bit snowy/ slippy in places. Kept the HR around what I would expect for marathon pace. Seems I've lost 15-20 secs per km pace which isn't too bad.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks TD and DLR.  What it boils down to really, is what is marathon pace anyway? For most of us, it is defined by a goal time we desire to achieve, rather than determing our goal time based on the proper marathon pace for our current level of fitness. 

I think for me, in the abscence of using a heart rate monitor as I find it too uncomfortable, I have determined a marathon pace based on goal time that is realistic if all the planets are perfectly aligned, and I use that pace for the long marathon pace runs. But if it's a short marathon pace run (ie. less than 8 miles or so) then I tend to do them a bit faster, sometimes quite a bit faster. I am not worried about fatigue, but I am very worried about injury potential.