Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 - I use my watch to keep pace and aim at between 6:20 and 6:25. I find that once I hit a pace I'm quite good at sticking to it but I struggle changing at a later point.

DV - a McDonalds burger was your first meat. Broke yourself in gently thenimage

• Options

Orbutt - I simply need to pay more attention to the 'S' part of LSR... I also need to build much more strength. I will definitely be in worse shape this year than last - and that wasn;t the point! Oh well, one can aspire to improvement...

Johnny Lyall wrote (see)
    Sore throat, stuffy nose, knackered due to lack of sleep (difficulty breathing) - should I run tonight?

Heard people things before about below and above the neck. If it's not chesty will I be ok? Or that a myth?

Johnny - the above/below neck issue makes some sense but you sound like you need a night off, frankly.

• Options

Peddle this pending  paradox when next pounding the path/pavement:

"What I am now saying is false." True or not?

• Options

Afternoon,

Really enjoying the nutrition advice DV, I am back eating meat since Amsterdam disaster and really enjoying it strangely!!

Like you Malc I run in the cold most of the time and its always hotter when doing a marathon for me(any where is hotter than here!!!), My hands always swell but I didn't know why until DV told me!!image

I did 13 slow miles this morning with the middle section X country.......quite a strong headwind most of the run so felt pretty knackered at the end but that is partly due to fuelling too. I struggle with breakfast(mainly due to dietary restraints and the fear that eating before running will have me running to the bushes!) so I know I had little energy before I started!! Stopped at mums for water on route out and back since my belt is irritating my scar. Never thought until I got home that I could of used my hydration pack.

• Options

Kaz - you've just done a half marathon image

Peter - my brain's hurting now...

• Options

Weedy - mine hasn't stopped hurting since I looked at that image you posted yesterday...

• Options

Hope you've been sticking to those HR limits Kaz. It's great that you are making good progress back from being sidelined. But just remember that deep muscle requires deep healing, so don't over do it.

Malcs - following on from DV's point about hydration needed to activate gels during a race. I always pre-mix my gels. I empty the sachets into water bottles which then go on a hip belt. I can get 8 gels into two small bottles which go round the back and this doesn't seem to impeded my running at all. I can sip the gel solution little and often. Remember, the gel that doesn't go in, doesn't bring any benefit. And the gel without water, can't be broken down by your digestive system and turned into energy, and just makes you feel sick. Experiment on your long runs.

However, sticking a cheeseburger in your shorts for when you get to 25k just sounds like a bad idea. image

Had a really enjoyable session in the gym this lunchtime. Lots of weights for the legs. Heavy and fast repetitions to build up the fast twitch muscles and some good core work followed by a bit of stretching. I think of it as injury prevention work.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Kaz - I didn't notice my hands swelling as I was too busy trying not to vom image. Well done on your 13 miles though how you can do that with no breakfast I just don't know. Does mum stand outside her house, arm outstretched with an opened Evian bottle in hand? image

DV & TD - thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it. This is currently my biggest issue. I know I can get round, it's doing that without the nausea etc. that is the problem. Interesting point about the gels TD. Maybe that's what's causing the nausea then? 

Neat idea about using a gel solution. I never thought of that. I have been experimenting with Jelly Babies instead. Used them on my last 18 miler and my insides were fine. I didn't take on any water on this run whatsoever. Maybe when it comes to race time and it's hotter I have less fluid available for digestion. However, I have always made a point of taking plenty on board on race day. Maybe plenty is not enough?

DV, the year that the nausea was the least noticeable was when I used Nuun and I think I took 3 tabs in total. I also used 4 gels on that run too.

Thanks again!

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Weedy - mine hasn't stopped hurting since I looked at that image you posted yesterday...

Sorry Iain (and everyone else)

• Options

Yip TD I am behaving!! Gave up on Core workimage

• Options

Kaz - Well done on getting 13 miles in.

Malcs - I have no idea how you can do a 18 mile run without a drink. Even in the cold you'll still be using up fluid. Gels with no drinks would be a sure fire way to pukeville.

I had a short run this evening. Four miles at 8:43 m/m average pace. It's sad, but I'm well chuffed to see a run back in the 8:xx m/m territory (a first this year) and bizarrely enough at my Paris marathon pace from last year!

Having had some better runs this week I'm feeling a bit more confident about this weekends 20 mile LSR.

• Options

Orbutt - I think you mentioned the new Paris sponsor. Certainly the website is a little, how you say, greener than it was...

Weedy - I was mesmerised!

• Options
    PB5 - yes, but what do you mean by 'I'? And do you mean 'false' in the sense of a postulated truth value (where false=not true), or more as an objective moral position? (4 years of university education finally comes in handy image ).

Very much enjoying my rest day today. All this meat talk is making me want a steak though.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent - it could also be a declarative statement. The last word spoken is "false" therefore as a postulated truth value the answer would be true. However as a statement of fact the last word spoken was "false" therefore "false".

Time for a lie down, I've gone all giddy image
  • Options
    Urgh - me too, I'm having flashbacks now. I'll start listening to the Stranglers soon and drinking snakebites.
  • Options
    Running Rodent - Martha and the Muffins of course . . .I couldn't remember the name (just the lyrics). Nice one!

Really interesting reading about everybody's experiences of hydration and energy. Although at the same time it makes me realise how individual we all are and have our own unique requirements. Which doesn't help finding a solution! Breakfast is out of the question for me when I do a morning run. . . I go all wobbly and shaky after a few miles. Weird.

Like you Malcs, I feel no need for fluids on an 18 mile run in the cold. In a way that is a bad thing as it means it is easy to put off dealing with the harsh realities of race day! I was also wondering about jelly babies and was going to try it this weekend. Running Rodent refers to the "sugar crash" this can cause. Do you mean if you don't have enough to get to the finish? When walking I find sugary stuff is fine as long as I have enough to keep me topped up once I start on it - otherwise I won't touch it. Is that what you mean or something else?

I'm kind of wary about gels as isotonic ones would be a lot to carry and getting the hydration right with "normal" ones sounds way too difficult! I will try some out though I guess.

D V - I wish you hadn't mentioned no alcohol! As deep down I am sure it is true for me too! But I have an almost OCD requirement to have a glass of wine with my evening meal (only one I hasten to add!). I really need to find out what difference it makes for me if I abstain totally though.

Good luck with your long runs this weekend everybody. I prefer Saturday so it's a nice rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Just got around to renewing my yearly travel insurance and thought about cover for marathon running.

Did a few searches and ended up back on a Runners World forum with a bunch of recommendations. A recent update by Shades mentioned that Tesco travel insurance includes Marathon Running (non professional) as standard.

Got an online quote and it ended up being slightly cheaper than my existing policy with LV, that didn't include running.

Needless to say, I bought it image
  • Options

That's a good point. I better renew my travel insurance.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Me, too. * The Post Office one includes marathoning ( unless  you're running to win. Full marks to the counter assistant who asked me whilst keeping a straight face...). The cover that comes with my bank card doesn't and neither did my old 'cheapo airline' policy.

The picture's working , Weedy.I just have to hang on 'til Monday. * Is that the ' you can't handle...' bit? *

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Eggy - I would never have done it before discovering these forums but then several people told me that they rarely take any fluids on their long winter runs. They do ensure that they are fully hydrated beforehand though and drink a load when they get back. This is the first time I've tried it and it was fine. 

Chris - I think you're right there, drinking less in training does make it tricky to switch on race day. It's that transition from cold to hot running I find a nightmare. This is why I've booked in for York this year as well so I can see what it's like running a marathon in the cold!

• Options

I need more info on the gel activation thing.  I usually just have a gel and might or might not have water with it. I dont understand the activation bit - I would have thought the only benefit to the water would be some dilution and therefore slower absorption as it is more diluted.

• Options

Point to ATM for the Jack Nicholson spot quiz.

Insurance-wise... don't know if everyone's does this, but my policy with the AA covers me for picking up an injury during training and not being able to toe the start line (in theory covering the cost of flights and hotel as well).

• Options
    peter burke 5 wrote (see)

Peddle this pending  paradox when next pounding the path/pavement:

"What I am now saying is false." True or not?

When you catch yourself out it's an epic moment. e.g. Running is hard work. False, you are choosing to see it hard. Running is just running man.

• Options

Malcs - I hope you get the cold weather you want in York. Although one of the hottest marathons I've ran was in Edinburgh of all places!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Eggy - thanks. It's at the end of October so I have a good chance but the way the weather has been in recent years you never know, there could be a heatwave image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Good morning. I have a Half on Sunday, weather forecast -2C with windchill -9C. I ran the course in training at MP 9m/m, easy. Was planning a testing 8m/m if conditions were right however I have to confront the wind and cold. Please could someone suggest what pace I should attempt taking into account these factors. Thanks
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

I need more info on the gel activation thing.  I usually just have a gel and might or might not have water with it. I dont understand the activation bit - I would have thought the only benefit to the water would be some dilution and therefore slower absorption as it is more diluted.

Digestion is wonderfully complex and simple, how our body manages to break down almost everything we put in our mouths, extracting the maximum amount of nutrition and killing almost all bacteria and nasties in the process.  Digestion continues to bring good things to our bodies, immediately from the mouth all the way down into the colon.Our food has a complete acid bath, then it is transferred for a complete alkali dip, it gets pushed, pulled and each molecule of goodness is tortured out until the waste is uhm, dumped!

To break down carbohydrates and sugars and make them absorbable, water is essential. Enzymes require water to do the conversion process into glucose. It's simple chemistry. The more complex the carbohydrate, the more water is required for the enzymes to function. Without water, they sit around in the stomach and cause .....secondary issues image

Big glass of water with every meal is super healthy. Even gels with simple sugars need water for it to go in to the body, especially as this is likely to be happening when the body is excessively sweating and may not have enough water in the stomach to help the enzymes get busy.

• Options

I was told by the friendly staff at up and running that the SIS isotonic gels do not need to water. So I didn't. That may have contributed to the final two miles.

I too have found all the comments regarding hydration very helpful. I have planned the 19 mile run for tomorrow. The final 3 miles will be at any one point a mile from home, just in case. I will be taking 2 or 3 gels. I will be taking them earlier. I have purchased a water bottle and will be taking this with an electrolyte drink. Plus I have some jelly beans. I will have a nice breakfast of porridge, toast and bananas. Get up later and run later.

I have only done 2 runs this week. Thought a little bit of extra rest would help me out because I have come to terms with the fact that I am 39 and not how my 18 year old mind thinks.

I bought the insurance with the entry fee to the marathon. Not sure what it covered but it was only 5 euro and I thought there must be some benefit to having it than not.

• Options

James - I think the SiS ones are meant to not need water but I don' think there's harm in having a little too.  Mind you, I've found the SiS ones easy to take and I can stomach 2 ok but if I have a third I get stomach cramps.  Something in them doesn't agree with me.