Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• PC91 - i'd go for it as planned in those temperatures.  Some of my best training runs have been in cold temps but I'm another that's used to the cold and suffers with any sort of heat.

Just make sure you have a little warm up jog for 10 minutes, aiming to finish (if possible) within a few minutes of the start so you don't get cold again.  If it's a half where you need to be in the pens for ages try and keep warm while waiting and take the first mile or so a wee bit easier just to help prevent cold muscles pulling.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

James B - the insurance you bought with the Marathon entry is only to cover the cost of your entry fee, should you not be able to run. If you were taken ill or injured then you wouldn't be covered under this insurance.

May be worth looking for a policy that will cover Marathon running - and includes repatriation

• Good job you mentioned that orbutt. Need to pay more attention to these things. Right off to moneysupermarket.com

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

James B, I think their insurance only covers cancellation/refund of fee etc. A few years ago, some of us got a bit of a surprise when we looked at the small print of our travel insurance..image

39, eh? Me, too..image

Practical point...the Start of the Paris run is in shade,at the start and can feel chilly ( throwaway jumper+gloves, a good idea )..but the temperature can change dramatically when the sun comes out and there's not a lot of shade on the route, especially in the second Half. Hat/buff and sunscreen are pretty good ideas...the more for those of us who generally melt at 14 degrees.

DLR, I've abandoned the SIS gels after a couple of off-the-chart moments..'Getting on better with shotblocks, although they require water. The latter don't contain 'mexa-whatever..'. Could it be that that doesn't agree with us? I think a couple of others have had the same experience...Or maybe we've just had our lifetime's-level of a particular gel..

• First company £40

Second company £7

• The  latter doesn't cover hijacking or mugging.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

wow, when I started running I didnt think there was much too it other than just getting out a putting one foot in front of the other slightly quicker than walking! The more I read the more interesting it is how so much can have an affect on your running. Thank you so much to everyone thats providing such useful info on hydration and fueling. I am using the High 5 EnergyGel Plus. Always have a quick swig of water after I take one just to wash it down but do they need a bit more water to work properly?

• ATM wrote (see)

DLR, I've abandoned the SIS gels after a couple of off-the-chart moments..'Getting on better with shotblocks, although they require water. The latter don't contain 'mexa-whatever..'. Could it be that that doesn't agree with us? I think a couple of others have had the same experience...Or maybe we've just had our lifetime's-level of a particular gel..

Let's face it.  We're just old.  image

Agreed on the shotbloks.  There's a nack to eating them when running at race pace but after a couple of trial runs it's soon aquired.  Had no upset from them and I really like the tropical and orange flavours!

James - go with the £7 cover and don't do any hijacking or mugging.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    OK DLR, not convenienced but I follow your advice.

James. Get the ??40 one if you're going to Cochran's after the race. You don't think the advice we've been getting is for free.
  • shot bloks = Laxative(with me)!!image

I am  very stiff todayimage and the hard frost was a good excuse not to go out this morning, did yoga instead but think its made me worse. I had a very bad nights sleep too, everytime I moved the pain in my back  was overwhelming..........oops.........I am blaming the hills yesterdayimage

imageimageimageimage LAST DAY!!!!!!!!! imageimageimageimage

• kaz1 wrote (see)

shot bloks = Laxative(with me)!!image

You're meant to take them orally Kaz!

• ATM wrote (see

39, eh? Me, too..image

geeez, that's 23 years ago come Paris, you 2 are way to young to be running marathonsimage

• I'll be 39 in Paris, but not for long. 

I take a mixture of SIS gels (2 gels) and Shot Bloks (1 packet) in a marathon. Although I've been trying out Jelly Babys on my last few LSRs. Thankfully no issues for me. I do take a drink with my SIS gels even though they say they don't need it.

• Hope everyone is enjoying POETS day.image

• Just had to google that Peter - never heard it before image

Enjoy today Kaz..

Came across this on my run this morning - kinda cool. The other side's a seat.

/members/images/727962/Gallery/IMG00159-20130222-1036.jpg

Got me thinking we should do some sort of thread running photo competition...

• 39? Mere babies.....

I'm 52 and loving it.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

When I say 39 ,I mean 57....It's taken me a long time to gather all the info' on the portaloos...

http://suchabastard.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/abfab_051116032541148_wideweb__300x338.jpg

It's absolutely freezin', here. Arran looks like the Himalayas- in- winter...Very pretty, though.

Weedy, that's plain disturbing.

• Kaz - what have you been doing with the ShotBloks? I can only eat those things before or after a race. Mid-race they have the same effect as if someone were to spray that expanding insulating foam in my mouth - just don't have enough breath to deal with them - I end up choking like a... well, you can imagine for yourself.

Usually a good swig of water with a gel is enough - water to make it go down and a gulp or two on top. There's no need to drink huge quantities of water in a marathon. Last year in Paris I only had 200ml of water from start to finish, on top of my 8x High5 gels in 50-50 solution.

This morning it was really bright and sunny so went out for a lunchtime tempo run. Wore my running shades for the first time this year. It started snowing 200m into the run and was gloomy the whole way round. But I was smiling inside. 10½kms with 8k at tempo HR (88% avg). Felt good. Lungs are buzzin' image

Honestly ATM, I thought you were younger that 39 the first time we met. Last time I saw you I reckon you were about 34. Good going lady. image

• TD - tempo run based on HR eh?  I only ever use the HR data to see for signs of over training or infection if I have a shoddy feeling run.  But guessing using HR means target paces are always relative to current fitness levels?

• trying out high 5 this weekend

• PC91 wrote (see)
    OK DLR, not convenienced but I follow your advice.

James. Get the ??40 one if you're going to Cochran's after the race. You don't think the advice we've been getting is for free.

just googling cochrans. I think a 10 euro pint of guinness may be in order with a bottle of perrier water..................

• it didnt let me put a picture up

• Is it corcorans? If so which one of the four is everyone attending? or it could be a billy no mates job.

• you knoiw...  with so many of us...  we should find out who has the best hotel and then have a party there...    everyone bring some drinks and nibbles....

• James - Last year it was the one in Saint Michel. I'm sure closer to the time all pre/post-race meet up details will be sorted out.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

At 29 I'm not the baby of the thread am I!?

• Nice article David - pretty interesting.

Is this your plan for Berlin?