Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Sarah - I use a backpack for water on any runs more than 13 miles. Don't even notice it once I get going. Just make sure you squeeze any air out, otherwise the water can slosh about.

Well done on the long runs folks. And especially well done to Kaz after 6 vodkas.

Did the Duathlon in 39:38 in freezing conditions. Great fun. Came 3rd behind two disgustingly fit 16 year olds who showed no respect for their elders and betters...
  • Simon - way to go! Did you get a trophy for 3rd image ?

Sarah - another one here for a Camelbak-type thing for training runs (try Decathlon - they have a good range and they're cheaper than the big brand ones. There's a website). I just use a combination of the water they supply and Shotbloks on the day though.

Tommy mac - if you can't get hold of the gels at all, pm me through the forum and I can put a few in the post so you can at least try a test run before the day. Don't want you exploding on the way round image .

I survived image . 15 miles with 12 (in one go) at marathon pace image . I did it by imagining TD and DLR chasing me along the towpath image . Can't say I felt immediately like doing the same distance again at the end, but I didn't feel like I was going to die either. And I saw a LOT of swans.
  • Good running RR. No trophy I'm afraid, but I am chuffed with that performance, and will present myself with a beer later. My transitions were woeful though. Couldn't get my helmet on with numb fingers!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Well done, Simon! A podium place, trophy or no...image

Sarah, I've started to use a backpack for long runs...but mostly to get used to carrying stuff other than water...and hardly notice it now. I haven't found sloshing around to be a problem. On the day, I'll use their water but, maybe, take some Nunn's to add to the bottles.

What IS it with the swans, RR? I counted 17 in a field, the other day. They seemed to be having a rest..

In Other News. Finn is 5 hours+ into a 24 -hour Endurance race.  She and Emmy must have been cloned from the same stuff...

• Simon - Well done on getting third place. Not bad for a first go!

Kaz - 47 miles this week. That's some going.

RR - Well done on your run. Sound like your training is going well.

I managed to get my 20 mile LSR in today at 10:32 m/m average pace, but it was a real struggle. My legs strangely enough felt ok, but same as last week from mile 12 onwards the groin was giving me some real pain. Ice pack now deployed to the relevant area!

• Afternoon, I use a camel back the trick is to expel all the air when you fill it, that way it doesn't slosh

15.5 m in 2 half hours this morning... On a brighter note my OH has managed 6 miles on Thursday and 7 today after almost 3 weeks with her calf tear
  • Thank you all for your advice. I knew I'd get proper answers here.  2 things. Dave - how do you get the air out of a camelbak and ATM - what is a Nunn?  Thanks again.  Getting really excited now!   

• Sarah - Nuun are a company that make tablets that dissolve in water to provide electrolytes, similar in concept to sports drinks.

• Hold it with the tube at the top, open the bite valve and squeeze the air out

As Eggyh says Nuun tablets provide electrolytes no carbs or anything other than salts
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sarah, 2007 was the first Paris, first any, marathon I did and it was in a heatwave...If I had known then what I know now...and that's not much...I would have pulled out before the Finish.I was completely dehydrated...possibly delirious...and covered in salt.I thought I was just excited and that someone had thrown something sticky over me...image. It's hard, having trained in months of sleet, to imagine what heat is like..Slow,I'll be out there for hours and I don't tolerate heat well, anyway. I find it hard to practise a strategy that will be appropriate for the likely weather...but , now, I'm giving more thought to replacing salts. Hence, the Nunn's tablets.

I want to finish in a good enough state to enjoy the rest of the evening.

• Twenty mile run round strathclyde park today and I also saw a lot of swans , but u think they were local swans because they were all fighting over some chips and practiceing their hand brake turns on the loch

Today's run was brought to me by powerade and jelly babies

Well done kaz on ur running , so soon after being out injured as well image
  • Thanks Dave.  If I buy one I'll experiment!

• Good going Bedders and Simon

Did someone mention running with nuns? It's a bad habit to get into...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/running_nuns.jpg

Sarah - I've got a Camelbak Ultra. It's got two front pockets that hold water bottles, so unless it's a mega long run I'm doing, I'll leave the bladder at home and just put bottles in the pockets. I'd say go to a running shop and test a few on their treadmill to get an idea of what they feel like as they're as individual as shoes. Top tip as well.. store the bladder in your freezer and you won't have to clean it out as often.

You get bottles at the water stations in Paris, so could maybe just bring the tablets and add them as you go along.

Kaz - when does job No 2 start?

• Thanks......so simple...carry tabs and put them in water bottles! Brilliant.

• Sorry to be asking all these questions, pre race nerves kicking in early??  How much do people generally drink over the course of the marathon?  I just know I'm not drinking enough and if I take the strategy of using tabs in bottles of water at water stations I'd like to plan which stops I need to use.  I'll have more of a clue if any of you guys have experience of using the stops for more than throwing a bottle of water over your head.  S.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jings, Finn's run more than 78k... and there's 16 hours left to go....Has anyone else done one of these things? What goes through your mind when you are in the process of running for 24 hours?

• In races (both half and full marathons, don't need to take water in on a 10K or less) I usually just have two of three swigs at every water station, seems to have worked alright in the past, but think it'll be a case of each to their own...

• 78k down with 16 hours to go. It's a bit mind-boggling. Fancy doing the Thunder Run one year but as part of a team tho.

Sarah - hard to say because it varies depending how hot or cold it is, but i'll drink a 500ml bottle of water about 45 mins before the start of the run, then maybe take on about 1,500ml during the run, starting at about mile 3, drinking to thirst rather than anything else.

• I need fluids on long runs, as I suffer badly otherwise. I drink a 500ml bottle of sports drink and then top up on the later water stations on a marathon. I probably consume around 750ml in a marathon.

78km is amazing, but you couldn't pay me to attempt a 24 hour run. I think the more I've ran the less tempting these extreme events have become. I struggle badly enough in the later stages of a marathon.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    I use Nuun too - can be a bit of a pain adding it to bottles while running as it fizzes for a minute or so as it dissolves. Does the job though.

I tried chewing one once - never again. Nearest I ever got to feeling what it's like to be rabid image

ATM - I did the Thunder Run last year but as part of a team. I managed 60K so 78K with still more to go is mighty impressive. Aside from my bowels giving way at the end (a rather unwanted side effect) it was an amazing experience. I loved the night running part in particular and the atmosphere is brilliant.

Hoping to do 80K this year. Would love to try solo one day but that is really for the hardcore. If you ever get the chance to try it in a team you're in for a great experience.

Bedders and Simon - great going, well done!
  • Home from  day out, not as planned as BF got called out(retained fire fighter) so I sat as 'billy-no-mates' for hours until some poor soul  got enough 'beer-googles' to speak to me!!!

Weedy-  Monday! image

As for  the '39' debate - April 10th is the day!!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kaz - so we might have a mini celebration at Paris?

78km?!? Finn is AWESOME.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emmy, she's now run more than 160k....They have less than 2 hours to go.

• 160k? Hell's bells! Is there a progress update on he site, or is she wearing a tracker thingy?

On the subject of electrolyte tablets, I prefer High 5 Zero (no aspartame). I don't know if nuun are the same, but the High5's have a line across the middle, like an aspirin, so you can break them in half. Half a tablet would be about right for the size of water bottle you get in the race.
  • Go Finn..!    I have a 24 hour race coming up...  she will set the benchmark to aim for...!

• For those that have been asking about backpacks..   this is the one I use...:

http://www.therunnersbackpack.com/salomon-xt-advanced-skin-s-lab-5-set-review/

These are Nuun electrolyte tabs..:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nuun-active-hydration-tablets-tube/

I will add details later about the gels..

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

She's got 3 minutes left . They don't allow messages in the last hour but she was still at it on hour 23..I think she'll be around 170k....

http://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleToFit/427/285/?sURL=http://offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/OKM/730D098A-C36B-C9FA-BBB5793E285CAE76.jpg

Ah, good...I've found her photo...

• Well I managed 19 miles yesterday and it was a lot better than last weeks fiasco.

Managed 3 hours 3 minutes. Avge 9.41 per mile. I also did 8 miles of those at marathon pace.

I took gels, jelly babies and an electrolyte drink (High 5) with me. It was tough towards the end but then I could have gone on a little more, however and more importantly I was fine afterwards.

Then I went an re-hyrdated myself at the Airbus UK v TNS (Welsh Premier League) game by having having 8 pints of Tetleys (not tea).

A lot more positive today but got a niggle on the knee so may have to rest up for a few days. two more long runs to do then taper.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image She passed the 170k mark.. She must've run her socks off in the last hour. Complete madwoman, of course...

Well done, James. See?! Last week's run is history. Tetleys do coffee too? image

RR, the Nunn's tablets have that mark across the middle, too.