Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Oh another Paris and London runner. That's Audrey, KeyserSuze, myself and George Orwell.

Cross your namesake off the list Eggy:  I hear he's 'down and out'.

• yer_maj: I've read the first two 'Parts', with Part 2 being quite easy to follow.  Only section that I needed to reinforce was the gremlins/tablet of life/goblins bit.  I'm not rushing the book as what I've read so far has been an immense help and trying to cram and implement everything in one go (as I often would) is chimp behaviour that almost always ends in failureimage  Now, I'm not only aware of my chimp much more but I have him where I can keep a close eye on him.

Kaz - You'd love it.  Great way of making sense of things.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I got a bit bogged down in the tablet of life/goblin bit. At the simplest of level I can now spot when my chimp is rattling his cage. He came out to play during yesterday's half and I was actually able to spot him and I, mentally, told him to f### off. Did the trick ????
  • Poor old Chimp - you're meant to be nice to him.  I'm sure my chimp is male - is this normal??

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

KeyserSuze - welcome! Wow 100th parkrun - damn good going. I've only ever done one! I wonder if there's a 100 Parkrun Club?

Which 20 mile race are you doing? Wouldn't happen to be the Surrey Spitfire? If so, I will see you there.

• I've found nurturing and relaxing my chimp to really help.  Used to lose my rag at silly things but now I can see why and it tends not to happen or if it does I've started to establish autopilots to head him off before he really gets going.  Seems a happy little chap now.  Not as hard on myself over stuff now either.

• My chimp is deffo female

Rest day today, felt really weary yesterday but chilled out day and feeling much better
  • Dave have you got my chimp??

I quite like exercising mine.  It's astounding the stuff that comes out when you let it run on...image

• Weedy - Ran. Just worked out where your cryptic clues are!

Chimp Paradox. Is this something I should be reading, sounds a bit serious...?
  • I need to read this chimp thing. All my brain tells me when running is "faster ya big useless eejit".

• Eggy - you do need to read it.  Then you can explain to your chimp that "you big useless eejit" is a wee bit rude image

Iain - it's serious stuff written in a really light, digestible way.

• I was lucky enough to hear Steve Peters speak at a conference 4 or 5 years back, and have been waiting for the book ever since.... Sadly it has vanished Dahn Sarf with sprog 4
  • Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Hurray @Eggyh73 - a large proportion of friends and family keep telling me I'm bonkers to do both! I keep telling them that I'll have done the training and that plenty of other people manage ultras.

To be fair I think I'm bonkers for attempting both. I know plenty of folk do events that close together, but this will be a first for me.

KS and Eggy - my only advice about combining Paris and London maras (and I think OO would join me in saying this), is don't try to do both fast. Go for it in Paris and just aim for having fun in that there Larndan.

Kate/ Orbutt/ Rob of the North (BTW, great news about getting the Tour de France start in 2014. I assume you were an integral part of their winning offer!). Great to hear you talking about the book. It makes stuff that happens in your head so much simpler doesn't it. I feel a lot more calm and accepting of things. And purposeful.

On another note, today is something of a landmark in my gentle recovery. It is the first time I have run on consecutive days since just before Paris last year. Just come in from a 10miler in soggy snow/ sleet. It was too sticky for my running glasses but really stingy on my eyes. Still, I'm up to a whole 225kms running so far this year (I was at 726kms this time last year!).

• TD - Don't worry I'll be doing neither Paris or London fast. Both are get around and take in the sights events for me. Original plan was race Paris jog London, but those plans are long since binned.

• Blimey,busy thread today!

I have 3 days holiday so spent today skiing in Alpine conditions in the Cairngnorms. Beautiful. Same again tomorrow and then a 21 mile run on Wednesday.

Took my Garmin on the slopes or the first time just to see what sort of distance I cover. Quite surprised - 81K in 6 hours,with almost 9K elevation gain. And a max. speed of 78.2 k/h (a bit naughty but it was very quiet). All done on tows so I'm not surprised my leggies are a bit tired.

• Damn - I hit 75 kph last week (on a Green..shhhhh)...and you've beaten me.

That's impressive distance though image

• Yer-maj, that's impressive for a green run!
  • Oh wise men of this thread I need your advice. Did 15k today. Felt great. However, about 30 minutes after I came back home the sole of my right foot started to hurt. Like someone was trying to stab me with a knife every time I shift the weight onto my right leg. The pain was located on the outside of the sole towards the middle where the heel ends. A bit like a feeling after beeing iceskating for too long. 

I ran in nike lunarglide, they only have about 500km in them.  the road was mostly back and dry however the 7th to 12th km I had to run on the slippery mass of melting snow and icy road so I ran at 6'20"-6'40"/km. I don't know if that had anything to do with it as I've already beeing running on the snow before and didn't have that pain afterwards.

I had a warm bath and massaged the spot with a tennis ball and the pain is gone. 

any advice?

• Ooh ooh, I'd like a 'supporters guide' for my other half too! Or any practicality tips from Paris vetrans!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Bedders, if you'd like some stuff about the course...not about running...message me through the forum.Your ' Message Me' thingy is inactive so I have yet to bury you in details about the portaloos...image

• I MUST learn to say no!!! Second run of the day completed, 8.5 miles making a total of 14.8 for today.image

REST day tomorrow.

WI-  that doesn't sound good, to me it sounds like what my PF did when it started??

• Iain. For obscure Kurosawa knowledge, here's your prize....

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Iain_M_resized.jpg

ATM's running out of high-res, quality pictures of you all. Best solution... send her your best running pictures forthwith.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

The best-looking are here, in the Who's Who  but there's room for more. No ( Northern cheapskate) low-res photos scanned from race websites, please image

• Free Chimp for every reader...genuinely guffawing here...

• ATM - I don't think I'm hi-res in real life, let alone in photographs!

Wi - make sure you massage your calves. Problems with the sole of the foot can often be caused by knots in the calf muscles, which then cause the muscles in the lower leg to tighten, then it's the foot that gives way. If you find any knots in calf muscles, massage them with a tennis ball or similar until they go away. And stretch the calves too, especially if you've been wearing high heels before you run.

YM - I did that session last week - it's a barrel of laughs, isn't it? On paper it doesn't look too bad - after all, it should be possible to do 5k at, er, 5k pace, so doing it with breaks in between shouldn't be a problem. But add in the little matter of the rest of the 9 mile run, and it's a bit more of a challenge.

Weedy - I can't remember if you said what you did for a living but if it's not graphic design your talents are wasted image .
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

wi - I'm no wise man that's for sure but I have had pain in that area myself for some time. It may be something completely different so please feel free to ignore anything I'm saying here.

There are parts of the calf muscles (peroneus?) whose tendons loop round the ankle and run under the outer part of the sole of your foot. I had alot of tightness in my outer calf and this was causing pain in the area you described as it pulled on the tendon. As you said, using a tennis ball eased the pain quite significantly.

So maybe running on the snow you changed your gait slightly and over worked part of the calf? If it doesn't come back running in normal conditions I'd just forget about it.

As I said, I'm no expert, just relaying what happened to me.

Hopefully for you it's just a one-off. 

Oops - x-post with RR 

PS. for info - high heels were absolutely not a contributing factor in my case. I've worn them for years and had no issues whatsoever image

• Great cover Weedy.

I've no idea what my body is up to these days. I went out tonight and did 9 miles at 8:51 m/m average pace and felt pretty good with it. I wish it would make it's mind up if it's going to fall to bits or not.

• RR - Cheers. I didn't say what I did. It's not graphic design tho...

Wi - can't help I'm afraid. Altho it's maybe worth keeping up with the tennis ball massage each day even if you feel fine 

ATM - how's the mouth?

• Hopefully you've finally turned the corner Eggy.

Malcs, careful with the high heels. I have had to cut back to wearing them at weekends only.