Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Bedders - that one's way knobblier than mine image

Emmy - the pictures from Malta looked great - the race report tells a quite different story - well done you for finishing. Another one in the Bank of Miles in Your Legs.

Oof that was hard work. It was supposed to be 12 miles with 7 at half mara pace, but I   really struggled to hit the pace. What should have been half pace felt more like 5k pace. It didn't help that there were a lot of tall builidings and bridges on the route, so my Garmin was all over the place. In the end I'm not sure I was running much faster than I did in my marathon pace run on Sunday. Mind you, that's my fifth day in a row - two days off now, hopefully that will freshen up the legs a bit. 

And as a little plus, when I went for my post-race sandwich, I discovered I was sitting next to Matthew Pinsent image. I did my very best to look like a Proper Athlete, rather than a sweaty runner eating her lunch, but I'm not sure I managed to pull it off.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RR - I love that post! image Did Matthew Pinsent say anything to you?

• re vaseline

I used to use it until I came upon shea butter. So much better. It absorbs very quickly, doesn't leave greasy film on the skin, protects well and lasts for longer. Pure unrefined she butter. I don't use anything else now. Feet, dry lips, face, any spot where friction is expected

thank you for your input. Come to think about it, I did have a niggling painlike sensation in my right calf recently so it could be that. Just got myself DVD with Yoga for athletes. Will try to stretch more

• James B 73 - pin on the outside of the knee is typically related to a tight Illoitoibial Band - sometimes called ITB syndrome. It usually responds very well to some careful stretching. I'd encourage you to look it up on the googleysphere while you rest from running. Check that is what you have and with the stretching, you can make the rest really productive.

• James B 73 wrote (see)

Think I have seen those in the Ann Summers Shop

I'll have you ladies know that real men are not afraid to wear arm warmers.  And if they aren't then neither should I...

I did 5 miles today.  Yeah that's right.  Five of the big ones.  Enjoying running again now even if not yet completely pain free.

Thisvideo is quite useful for advice on different 'roller' products.  Doesn't cover the gimp roller on the previous page but it does recommend the quadballer.  I got one of those and it finds knots way better than even OROD/BROD.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Yes Iain - imagine that - someone proudly wearing pink clothing in Belfastimage

TD - love it.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Save Ulster From Sodomy!'...Remember that one...image

• ok..  all you Paris first-timers...    do you have any questions, concerns or freaking out over anything...?

Any marathon first-timers....  worried about anything...?   

Lots of advice here and we are all willing to share...   just ask..  image

• DV, I'm just worried what pub we going to STRAIGHT after I cross the finish line. I am craving ice cold beers something rotten.
  • Dv - total virgin....... Paris and a marathon.
  • Hey DV! Thanks for your prompt. I am avidly reading all the posts and trying to pick up tips without finding too many things to get anxious about that I had not even considered! I want to know about distance markers. I think I read somewhere that there are mile markers as well as KM's. is that correct and is it every mile if so? I feel like I really need mile markers to judge my pace - or need to quickly start thinking in K's if not. My maths is not great!

I have to say that reading all your posts has really motivated me and I almost feel ready to confess to the world that this time it might just really happen for me after lots of failed attempts!

I am travelling on my own as I think that the responsibility of friends/family may be one thing too many for me (that may sound weird to others I guess!). Where would be good for Saturday night pasta? I am thinking 50 000 people will all be trying to get into a relatively small number of Italian restaurants around the Champs ??lys??es area?

Other than that I just need to make up my mind if I am running in Brooks Adrenaline or ASICS GT 2170 which probably may shock you that I didn't make that call weeks or months ago - oops.

Thanks for your support, Chris
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Chris -There are mile markers but the Km markers are a lot clearer. If you don't want to confuse yourself converting your pace into Km then I would recommend using a Pace Band. This is just a table of times against distance which I wear around my wrist during the race.

I think that you can get them at the Expo for some times but I've created one in Excel that has both mile and Km times on it, so when I pass a marker I can see the time I was supposed to be there and check it on my watch. Working in Kms malso means that you can see if you are drifting and correct it a little quicker.

If it's any use to you, I'll be running in Adrenaline's  - so you may want to pick the Asics so that we aren't wearing the same outfitimage

• Chris - As Orbutt says there are km and mile markers along the course. For the Saturday night keep your eye on this thread as there should be a forum pre-race meal or two on the Saturday evening. A good way to grab some food, meet folk and calm the nerves.

For shoes, what are you wearing on your long runs? If you tend to use one pair for those sessions I'd recommend using them. If you are alternating them then just pick the ones you prefer. Footwear is too personal a thing for someone else to make that call for you.

TJB - After last year I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the guys with the barbecues are hanging about the exit area on Avenue Foch again, as the steak baguettes they where cooking up last year had me drooling.

• Steak baguette, fried onions, mayonnaise and ice cold beer, god I'm obsessed! I've been treating my body like a temple for so long, need a few nights off.
  • I've been treating my body like a temple too. I often bring it generous offerings! image

• For marathon first timers I offer only one piece of advice: enjoy it. Forget about target times, and soak in the experience. There is nothing quite like crossing that finish line the first time   When I did the Disney marathon last month, as we were coming into the finish, an older chap (60-ish) just next to me started to cry. Big, huge gulping sobs. I didn't need to ask why - I gave him a big high-five and he grinned at me like a little kid, still with big tears running down his face. It was his first time.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I've been treating my body like a temple too. I often bring it generous offerings! image

Building on a theme...mine's more like a warehouse.

• Shattered.comimageimage

Really hard frost this morning again, so no run but I will get one done after work if my stumpies hold out that long. I think some of the steps in this town were made for giants!! image

TJB - Thats organised!! I thought there was another 5.5 weeks to goimage

I must go and drink a gallon of strong coffeeimage

• Morning all. Chris - there's normally a pre-arranged place to meet up for a pasta meal the night before for runners and entourage. Usually get a good crowd in for that. Eat around 6pm for an early night to bed with some laughs to boot.

Where whatever shoes you feel most comfortable in for race day. I usually go with my freshest pair (used to cycle about 4 pairs at a time). As for pacing, I have a little spreadsheet that helps with mile/ kilometres conversion. If anyone wants it just PM me. Cheers.
  • Put me down for the pasta and laughs TD
  • Kaz I just threw all that stuff together for a photo just to get people in the mood. Actually, I picked up those euros yesterday from the post office cause it was payday so thought I should get a few in. Plus, the running belt is arranged for this Sunday's half (gel wise) and I haven't decided on the running top yet. Probably Shelter vest over leukaemia research dri fit t-shirt seeing as raising for both. But its Team gb all the way in Paris. image
  • My TOP TIP for the marathon virgins...  and indeed the less-experienced...

DON'T START TOO QUICKLY.

You are surrounded by thousands of people, all of whom look so much better than you, in better kit, look fitter, leaner, with a better watch and go-faster shorts.   You feel great, yet you feel rubbish too, you know you've done the training but still you worry that nine weeks ago you missed a run because you were lazy and now you panic whether that will have an impact today, but you are confident...  yet, you are a nervous, terrified wreck too.. omg.. 26.2 miles is such a long, long way...

Just before the start, the barriers are pulled back and everyone shuffles forward.  Old top and bottoms are taken off and its like the Iraq war as these things become missiles thrown to the sides...  the poor people standing at the edges are bombarded by incoming rolled up tops from all directions.

The race starts and people start to walk forward...   very quickly you are across the first timing mat, and you start to run down the Champs, thousands cheering you...  yes, just you...  not the others, they are cheering you... already, some people stop for wee around the TV vehicles..   you won't see more cocks out in a few hours as you do at a marathon!

You get down to the roundabout and you are feeling good...   maybe too good.   You are firing on all cylinders now..

At 10k, you look at your watch and the large clock and...  omg..  you are a hero...  you are 3 minutes ahead of schdeule...  

NO...  YOU ARE NOT A HERO, YOU ARE A MUPPET.    SLOW DOWN...!!

A marathon is just that...  its a marathon, not a sprint...  

Whatever your target time is, stick to it.  Ignore everyone around you and what they are doing.  If what seems like thousands of people overtake you, just let them.  Don't up your pace to catch them.  

If you get to 10k and you are ahead of pace, slow down and pay more attention to your pacing.  Same at half-way and indeed every opportunity for checking your time.  You will suffer for it later if you don't and you will ruin your race.  This is really important.   Look at the 10k clock...  see how you are doing and adjust your pace accordingly.

Going out too fast and then blowing up later is the classic beginners mistake.  It is so easy to avoid..

If you are on a 4:15 training plan, you should be aiming to finish around 4:15, give or take a bit...   4:15 doesn't mean 3:55.

Aim to run the first mile at the same pace as mile 26 and everyone in between.

Pacing is critically important, and is just as important as what you eat and drink.

Find out what your marathon pace and practice it so you run it like a  metronome without looking at your watch.

A watch is a great modern tool...  but there is nothing better than running by feel.

So...  don't get too excited or carried away.  Its better to start too slow than too fast.   If you have something left in you at mile 24, then you can speed up and push on and see what happens...    wreck it at mile 8 and you have a long walk ahead of you.

• On the subject of wee...

If you need to have a wee, just stop and do it...  don't be shy...  no one will watch or be paying any attention...  just as you will ignore those you see having a wee, they will ignore you.    This applies to the ladies as much as the men...     just head over to the side and find a place, pull your shorts down, squat, do it and on you go...

ok.. so, you wouldn't dare wee in public in normal life...  but this isn't normal life...  no one will care less what you are doing...

• Dannirr wrote (see)

For marathon first timers I offer only one piece of advice: enjoy it. Forget about target times, and soak in the experience. There is nothing quite like crossing that finish line the first time   When I did the Disney marathon last month, as we were coming into the finish, an older chap (60-ish) just next to me started to cry. Big, huge gulping sobs. I didn't need to ask why - I gave him a big high-five and he grinned at me like a little kid, still with big tears running down his face. It was his first time.

Completely agree with this. The feeling on finishing that first marathon is really something else. All the doubt and fears that you can't do it gone as soon as the finish line passes underneath your feet. I had a smile on my face for weeks after completing my first marathon.

Dark Vader wrote (see)
    ok.. so, you wouldn't dare wee in public in normal life... 

Speak for yourself!

• bonding wee experience with two othergirls last year and nobody cared - and I wasn't wasting time queuing for a portaloo!!

On the starting off too fast thing, be aware that as well as the big hit of adrenaline you get as you start....the first 5k are also very slightly downhill so it's even easier to go a bit crazy.

Pacing is the one thing I am pretty good at, but you have to be VERY disciplined in the early miles.

• Confession time:  On the way back from Corcorans last year I was absolutely bursting for a pee and clearly still in full on mararthon mode....Mr Maj was slightly perturbed when I belted up a ginnel and had a pee...the one and only non running related public pee experience of my life.... image

• I went out too fast on the first 5km last year in Paris. Got a bit of a shock when I checked my watch as I went past the 5km marker and then made an effort to ease off slighty into what was my target pace. Thankfully for me it didn't hinder my race and I smashed my target time.

• I'm gonna walk the first 5k...........and probably the last 37 too...........but I may run the 0.2 bit!!!

Its alright to take large cartons of liquid in checked in lugguage isn't it???