Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

A pint of London Pride please barman poured the northern way!!!!!

• Options

well doing first 20 miler on sunday eeek - planned a nice route to go on and weather is looking ok but not looking forward to it seeing as the weekend and this week has involved 30th birthday, engagement and copious amounts of drinking and eating! (as well as a couple of 7 milers)...think at this rate i'll be rolling along the paris marathon route oops.  Is it bad that i cant WAIT until all this training is over!!??

Got a 10k off road race a week on sat, then going to try to get out to do a 14 miler on the sunday and from there start to reduce things.  Really just want to get to Paris and get running!

In recent weeks i've also found my perfect running food....gold bars....i know wierd but just cant get to grips with the gels / shot blocs etc. so hopefully they will sustain me round the marathon!

• Options
    wi wrote (see)

TD what is the average pace you are intending to run ITLR? I'm toying with the idea of taking part (if I can talk Future Mr Wi into doing it) but I'm rather on the slow side so not sure if I can keep up with you lot

Wiola - we are planning an avg of 10km/h, 6:00m/km pacing but this is not a requirement, just the average pace we plan to do. Would be great to welcome you along.

Dannirr wrote (see)

I'm feeling lethargic about running.  Skipped yesterday and today (so far) for no really good reason.  Kinda justifying it to myself as it is a cutback week for me anyway, but that really should not mean cut out.

Dannirr - the Brain Training for Runners book would suggest that your brain subconciously knows what you need or don't need. If you are feeling lethargic, it's different from being lazy or unmotivated. Maybe something is going on that suggests you just need a bit of rest. Better than getting worn out or injured by extra half-hearted training. Rest up and be easy on yourself. You'll come back fired up in a few days most likely.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Two most excellent things have happened today:

1.  My new shoes got a 2 km outing...and I didn't want to take them off

2.  I did a 16km run, of which 10km was a "tune up race"...me against my Garmin and the elements (pissing rain and howling wind).  The 10k turned into a pb of 53:24 - 5 whole minutes faster than this time last year.  When plugged into Mr Macmillan, it puts me spot on for a 4:10 marathon image I'm terrified that all this good stuff is going to go wrong...!

Vic - if gold bars do it for you then let nobody stand in your way...

• Options

Y/M i thought i spotted on yer PB on jantastic YOU BEAUTY! (hello structured training plan)image

Emmy - nice pic - i'm excited. / Dan is SO EXCITED! he's in overload! image

We've lived this Thread, in just over 4 weeks we're all going to congregate in Paris for this fantastic event!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Just wait until we all start Packing...and unpacking...and repacking...and....

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannir/ATM - I've got a touch of lethargy going on too. Been very tired recently but work has become a lot busier.

I've had an odd feeling in my leg when first starting to run, which eases after a few miles. I also donated platelets today.

All of the above is the reason I'm not running tonight. Yet I still feel guilty

Aside from a very stable form of income, what are gold bars?

YM - I'm sure you'll make up for missing the pasta party at Corcorran's image
  • Options
    image Vic - gold bars? Don't you find they weigh you down a bit?

ATM, Dannirr I think I've got some of your mojo. In fact I think it's taking me over. I found myself getting really twitchy the other day because I wanted to get home and do my intervals...on the treadmill. Endorphin junky, anyone? image
  • Options
    Feeling shattered all day today, swam this morning, and was going to do an easy 7 miles about now, but seem to be glued to the sofa....

Possibility when I fell on Tuesday I've broken my little finger, gone all black and no feeling in it

Any mojo going spare please email
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dave - hospital ?
  • Options

I love Gold bars. My favourite biscuit - ever better than Jaffa Cakes. If I put 8 of them in my gel belt they would all be gone by the 1K marker.

I am feeling run down, tired, have a sore head and throat so I'm taking a night off. Don't feel guilty at all. As long as I am OK for another 20 miles this weekend I'll be happy.

• Options

Anybody can have my mojo..........its driving me to distraction..........early morning exercise, walking the dog, 4 hour delivieries on foot, more dog walking and now twitchy cos I want to run..........WTF.image

Dave- that sounds sore......

YM- Excellent!!image Oh and I give you permission to have my share of the celebrations at Cocorrans!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ah the week before taper starts....don't you just LOVE it?  image

Take it easy folks....eyes on the prize now.  As the cyclists are so fond of saying, we've put in the hard yards, it's just a case of staying out of trouble now.  If that takes the form of a sofa night with gold bars then so be it...

And Orbutt you most certainly shouldn't be running the day you've given platelets.

• Options
    Cheers Orbutt, but I'm married to a doctor, so it will get Suzies attentions when she gets in..

At least she carries industrial strength pain killers all the time
  • Options

I suppose even, non running me, has a bit of mojo at the moment.  Alarm at 5:10am each day and at the gym for just after six.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt wrote (see) Dannir/ATM - I've got a touch of lethargy going on too. Been very tired recently but work has become a lot busier.
    I've had an odd feeling in my leg when first starting to run, which eases after a few miles. I also donated platelets today.

Aside from a very stable form of income, what are gold bars?

YM - I'm sure you'll make up for missing the pasta party at Corcorran's

You can have mine... I cant stop buzzing. I'm like a labrador puppy - you wanna run? come on, let's run....!!!!

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see) Feeling shattered all day today, swam this morning, and was going to do an easy 7 miles about now, but seem to be glued to the sofa....

Possibility when I fell on Tuesday I've broken my little finger, gone all black and no feeling in it

Any mojo going spare please email

Ouch! I agree - a hospital visit for you maybe?

kaz1 wrote (see)

Anybody can have my mojo..........its driving me to distraction..........early morning exercise, walking the dog, 4 hour delivieries on foot, more dog walking and now twitchy cos I want to run..........WTF.

Dave- that sounds sore......

YM- Excellent!! Oh and I give you permission to have my share of the celebrations at Cocorrans!

@Kaz - Thank god there's someone else. I think my energy is back from the stupid month i had in february and now I REALLY want to run. I need it. I texted Hubby the following today:

• mid afternoon: Do you fancy a run tonight? No reply..
    • 30 mins ago: Fancy a run? No reply...
    • 5 mins ago: Fancy a run? One word: NO.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Danirr - You mentioned a few pages back about Race tattoos - where did you order yours from? I'm looking online but I think my brain is mushy at the moment. Can you let me know?

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Dannir/ATM - I've got a touch of lethargy going on too. Been very tired recently but work has become a lot busier.

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

I suppose even, non running me, has a bit of mojo at the moment.  Alarm at 5:10am each day and at the gym for just after six.

Orbutt - best not to run tonight, I find after giving blood I'm worth nothing energy-wise for some days...

DLR - blimey, guv'nor!

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/885270_622720247753961_107855211_o.jpg

Have they moved the energy drink station from km 32 to 22?

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Knee update.

Did 4 miles. Okay for three miles. Kept thing about my knee and whether there was any pain there or not. I think there a little pain coming on. So I stopped at 4.

What I can say is the pain is no where near as bad as it was after 2/3 miles on Saturday. So a little ray of sunshine.

Will rest tomorrow. Will continue my stretches and go out saturday afternoon. Training plan out of the window. Think I'm going to try just to build up the mileage gradually. 4, 6, 8 miles etc. And hope for the flipping best.

Have to say though I think I'm taking a psycholigical battering and all I can think of, apart from Corcorrans, is the posibility of work hard for 10 and a half weeks for sod all.

So all in all I don't know whether I'm on the plane and in Corcorrans or not and that, quite frankly, is the most important thing.

Sorry to be a misery.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Stockholm Syndrome - it certainly looks like it

James B - this is bound to give you a kicking. You're doing the right thing. Forget the plan, go with what you can and work on getting to Paris able to run. If you push your knee too far, too early then that will be out of the window.

You've been doing the training so that will stand you in good stead, stamina wise. The event will boost your levels too.

Keep up with the stretches, they really are the answer.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

James - I completely get where you're at. My last 3 marathons were all preceded by an injury of some kind. All came in the last 3 weeks and last year it was 10 days prior to the race. I remember hobbling around wondering how the **** I was going to run 26 miles in a week's time. 

I'm telling you all this because on all 3 occasions I managed to do the race with only very minor irritation (no irritation in one case) so whilst it is absolutely gutting to have to rest there certainly is hope if you do.

I did no running between injury and marathon (bar a small jog the day before to check I could still move). I think I had just overdone it and my body was screaming for a rest. Hopefully that's all you've done and it'll all be fine come Paris. You have several weeks left so there is time.

I know it's hard but stay positive. Maybe swim or do some other non-impact stuff and give the legs a rest.

Haven't read back but have you seen the physio yet?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emmy, if you intend to drink the Powerade, it might be an idea to email the organisers for clarification because the map shows only one  'Energy Drink' station....at 22k...but , in previous years and despite similar maps, there were 2 stations...at 30 k( ? Right, DLR?) and about 36 (?).

*I did ask them exactly how many portaloos they would provide and where they would be but they just ignored me..image *Start Alert...again. Don't rely on finding any anywhere near the Arc. *

James, you must be really p***** off. Can you keep up your fitness swimming  and cycling..?( I mean, can you fit these sessions in? Long bike rides..)Don't despair.Things can change. Have you considered massage to add to the stretching? And of course you're getting on the plane. The  current goal is, still, to get to the Start. Stick to the physio's plan and make other decisions later. Nothing you've done in the last 10+ weeks has been wasted. Nothing.

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Bottle of Stella helps.

Malcs - reckons repetitive movement problem. Suggested if stretches don't work then swimming and cycling until Paris and hope for the best to get through. Then start work afterwards to resolve issue.

Problem is not keen on swimming or cycling which is why I run.

Never: more Stella barman.
  • Options
    James, In 2010 for my first marathon, I injured my Achilles in training 6 wks before race day and my sports physio said you shouldn't run, but I know you will so let's just try to manage it. I got to the start, it was a struggle but I got round. You've already earned that medal mate, you just got to show up and collect it , even if it takes ages !! (Just get round in the alloted time if you have to, there will be others doing that) lay down a marker, get healed after the race, sign up for Amsterdam and go and beat it up!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

James - Really sorry to hear about your injury problems. One thing though rest up if you need it. It'll go against your every instict as a runner. You'll panic about missing sessions, feel like your race is doomed, but you'll be far better to rest up and be healthy if a bit shorter in fitnes on the start line than to try and put in some miles and turn up injured. I broke my toe three weeks before Paris last year and had a week of no running at all. I thought my race was over and felt miserable, but not only did I make the start line I did so and ran a PB. If anything that week of total rest probably helped me.

For those with lost mojo's I thought that was normal for about this point in marathon training. Normally by this point I'm mentally at that point of just wanting the taper to start and get on that start line. The only reason I don't have thaty juts now is mentally I'm still fresh as I lost so much training to injury and illness this time around.

• Options
    James - another one here who's been injured 3 weeks out and cut right back on he training before the race. Can you get access to a cross trainer/elliptical trainer somewhere, and would that be kinder on your knee? It's a bit more like running than cycling or swimming.
  • Options
    Get one of those temporary gym memberships that last for 30 days
  • Options

So..  today I have driven 610 miles on a cupful of diesel and have come to the undeniable simple fact that speed limits on our roads are too slow...   of those miles, about 460 were on motorways and I had the car on cruise at 65 mph...  apart from overtaking lorries, I was one of the slowest cars on the road.  Almost without exception, everyone was driving, I'm guessing, about 80-ish, maybe a little more.   However, I didn't see anyone especially fast - approaching 100-ish.   It was all just faster than the speed limit but not excessively so.

No incidents...   all perfectly safe....   it's definitely time to up the limit from 70...   everyone is already doing it...