Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Well my sister in law who was running paris has just broken her arm snowboarding.

• I'm living on porridge &  pasta (not together) and curry (tonight) with black rice.  and plenty of it.  can't get enough food at the moment......

Beetroot smoothies are going down a treat too  image

• Rest day today... I'm knackered, So I've painted my mothers kitchen by way of a rest ............

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm mainly eating Portugese Tarts....

• You are a tart....   

I'm eating mostly steak...   one week until the first ultra of the season.. 

• TD - please remind us again why it's ok to feel tired and washed out from all the training at this stage (and slightly sick of it might be an understatement)  image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

DV that's another entry in The Book of Remembrance for you, my sweet...

Jim - because we've been relentlessly driving ourselves into the ground for the best part of 4 months, you muppet.

• FFS, I have only been doing it for 4 weeks and I'm tired and washed oot pity help if I had done a full training programmeimage

• yer_maj wrote (see)

DV that's another entry in The Book of Remembrance for you, my sweet...

Jim - because we've been relentlessly driving ourselves into the ground for the best part of 4 months, you muppet.

Good Point, was hoping for somehting a little more scientific but i am too weakened to defend myself against further pxsstake and abuse that may come my way!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Arse to science.  I'm tired...

• Kaz..  and anyone else...    if you want to have some fun with this little run on Sunday morning in Paris you can tag along with me...   the rules are simple..:

• no watches..   no watching the clock..   it takes as long as it takes
    • the goal is to have fun
    • eat all the sweets handed out by children
    • eat anything else on offer
    • do a bit of foruming
    • take some photos
    • see the sights
    • sample the wine
    • have a dance with the gay cheerleaders
    • look out for the camels

I bet we can do all of this and still go easily under 5 hours...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Eat anything else on offer?  I'll run with you just to see that....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

And another thing - I'm not sure I can do the Barcelona marathon next year - that thread only has about 3 posts a week image

• None of those fish twiddly bits...  or those sausages the French eat that are made of intestines....    image

• Actually...   we will be selective with our choice of food...!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jimbob - you are not alone. Tired, washed out, fed up with training.

However, you are now the most tired that you will be. You are at the absolute peak of your training. Your body is working its hardest, all on top of months of other training.

Then the taper begins. We reduce our long runs and our bodies are really grateful.

By way of thanks they will give us taper madness. They will give us phantom aches and pains as they repair themselves. We will find that we want to run and we will need to stop ourselves from running too far.

And then we will get to Paris. We will meet great friends for the first time and we will be itching to get to the start line just so that we can run again.

Madness, I tell you.
  • Hello all -

'Running rodent' posted on my post and recommended I joined in you guys as I am doing the Paris marathon this year.

I am really really scared now and am running alone as the two people who promised to do it with me pulled out (eeek!).

In my original post I was having a meltdown about the fact I have no idea what energy gel/sweets are or how to use them.

I've read some of the feed and you have all cheered me up already!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hi Sally.  Welcome.  If we can't make more scared than you already are then we're not trying hard enough.  You can run with Dark Vader and his sweetie train image

You won't be running alone - there are millions of us - what pen are you in?

• Hello Sally..  welcome to the best thread ever..  image

Tell us some facts about yourself..   or just lie and make it up...   we won't mind...   what did you need to know about gels..?   How are you currently fuelling your long runs..?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi Sally. You're never alone on this thread.

Tell us a bit about yourself and you can join in the madness.

What distances have you done in training? Have you used gels before?

If you've managed without them so far then you may not really need them - they're not compulsory.

Really, though the best thing to do is try some out. However, you should be just about to taper so you won't have the really big runs to try them out on.
  • The sweetie train is very appealing! I am in the slow pen - pink? Its my first marathon so my main aim is to finish!

Millions of us (aah!), and do kids really hand out sweets? 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sally, towards the end, they're offering beer/wine/oysters/sausages...* I must've missed the sweeties..image * Finishing, in a good enough state to enjoy the pub meetup, is an excellent goal.

• Yes..   there really are children at the side of the road with their hands held out for you to take sweets...    and at various places along the way you will be offered others foods...  from about mile 20/21 there are stalls with cheeses, wine and more sweets....

The people at the front run so fast they miss all the fun....   but those of us at the back can take advtanage of it.   There are lots of live bands os many muscial varieties, dancers, gay cheerleaders in skirts and look out for the camels...

Lots to see...  and you get to run near many of the famous sights of Paris.

If its your first marathon, just enjoy it and don't get so worried about the clock...

And Sally..   you must come to the pub on Sunday evening to celebrate with everyone..  wearing your medal is compulsory...

• A bit about me? I'm 28, I love food (this is the main reason for the running). I've done a few half marathons in the past. I'm only 5ft and I run really slowly, my motto is 'slow and steady - i get there in the end' (like the tortoise).

The furthest I've run so far is 18miles, I am running 22miles tomorrow (fingers crossed) and then my plan is to do two more long runs (12miles and a 10miles)...

Aswell as my long runs I have been doing an additional 5-7miles twice a week and 3-4 twice a week.

Thats about it! I've not really got more technical than that, I've been drinking more water generally and after trial and error I have realised that the only thing I can stomach before a run is tea, bananas and bagel/wholemeal toast and peanut butter! Luckily I love peanut butter.

I've not used any energy drinks or gels or sweets and so far havent carried water with me either but now I'm scared once I go over the 20mile mark I will need to drink and eat and I havent practised!

Hmm, also I love cheese but made a pledge to give it up (have kind of managed to do this, apart from a couple of hiccups) until after I crossed the finish line (mad)...

Any advice I can get would be amazing...

• DV - Sounds like fun.........but I  will refrain from eating/drinking anything on offer or I may never see the end, but be txting you all for emergency loo roll!!

Welcome Sally - Here you are never alone.image

I feel like s***......again! Too long a day without food againimage and now being sick and got major shakes despite having eaten nowimage Weather disruptions saw me working longer, and being away from Stromness/Home( I normally take my lunch break when delivering at my own house) with no money.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Can't give you any advice about running , Sally, but if you message me I'll send you some stuff about the actual course.

+1 for bagels image

• Welcome Sally and the others that have joined the madness.

Talking of books (3 zillion pages ago) I bought a book today called 'Can't Swim Ride Run, From Common Man to Ironman'. Started reading it and there on page 32 , much to my surprise, appeared our very own Dave the ex-Spartan ! Great book so far. I am on page 62 already.
  • Sally..   give us some feedback from the 22 mile run tomorrow...   learning to eat and drink on the run is something that takes time and practice..  you will need to eat something or you will struggle towards the latter part of the run...  take some jelly beans with you...  a packet from Tesco's only weighs 85g and costs about 35p.  That'll get you through the end of the race even if you can't stomach anything else.   They have banana segments at the aid stations...   eat those when you can.

There is lots more to tell you, but probably too much information at this late stage.  Wear a belt and take the jelly beans with you and you'll get there.....

• Hi Sally - I told you all human life is here image . Whether you decide to try gels or jelly beans, or whatever, the one golden rule is not to try anything new on race day, because that's not the time to find that brand disagrees with you.

Another one here who's hungry all the time. Usually by this stage I'm craving pork pies, but at the moment it's sweet stuff, and bread. Which suggests I'm short of carbs rather than fat.

Kaz - you need to keep a spare (gluten free) sports bar tucked into the pocket of your knickers for days like today. Can't have you keeling over mid-round.