Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Jimbob  - awesome!  You are peaking at just the right time.

Let it just be known that the ridicuous idea was DV's, not mine.  I just see it as my friendly duty to help him fulfil it image.   Balloon race....hmm, now there's an idea.   

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Jane, who is this Jane you refer to?!?!  Good one Deep Throat.image and it definitely won't be a boozy night, just an exhausting day/night.

Orbutt - well, I wouldn't say they're on form...there's a great john wayne walk going at the moment.

I stupidly wore heels to an afternoon thingo after my LSR. Ooooft. Not a great idea...

• Options

Dan: Please put us out of our misery and tell us what it is is! Pretty please!

• Options
    How dare I tarnish your rep by insinuating you might have a boozy night. Naughty Jim. RS if we run at lunchtime will u join us?
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Jimbob  - awesome!  You are peaking at just the right time.

Let it just be known that the ridicuous idea was DV's, not mine.  I just see it as my friendly duty to help him fulfil it image.   Balloon race....hmm, now there's an idea.   

SOOOOO want to know what the idea is!!

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Well done Jimbob, the report was worth the wait. Well done to the LSR tomorrow I'll be joining you in Taperland
  • Options

Hi all - I just wanted to know if anyone else on this forum registered for the Paris Marathon through fundraising for Alvarum. I received an advantage code from them after I completed my fundraising goal - but I have been unable to complete my registration through the ASO challenges website - I just get a 'changes saved' message after I enter my code and click on 'validate' and the race does not show up under 'my races'. Tonight is the deadline to complete the registration - I have tried several times over the past week but it doesnt work. Did anyone else have the same issue?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sorry, Sharad. No idea. But there's a Helpline number /email address on the Alvarum site itself. http://fr.alvarum.com/evenements/marathon-de-paris-2013/contact/  Can they help you?

Have you emailed ASO ? They do usually respond to emails so, perhaps,  an email to them?

If it's any consolation, Onetit is definitely registered...not threrough Alvarum..but the marathon does not show up under her 'my Races' either.

• Options

ok..  I'll put you out of your misery...

A few weeks ago Dannirr mentioned a race in the US called the 'Run Across Georgia'.  It's a fund-raising charity run of 260 miles in a maximum of 5 days across the state of Georgia.  I looked at the timing and logistics and previous runners etc and came to conclusion that this is actually feasible...  most others do it as a team, but I'm suggesting doing it solo.  other runners have stayed in hotels/motels overnight but my idea was to hit it in one go..   no hotels..   just take power-naps in the back of a car/camper van when required but in essence keep moving forward across a 24 hr day until we get to the finish.

I worked out that if I paced it properly and sensibly, and fuelled it properly I might be able to do well..  the course record for a solo runner is within range. 

The weather will be hot and humid (suits me) and I am actually available the week it takes place.   The organisers have managed to talk three of the others runners crews into collectively crewing for me to keep me moving across the state.

It all looks do-able..    it would be an insane and ridiculous challenge and the furthest run I've done in one hit..   and that is what appeals to me.  It is just mad.

However, Mrs DV is less enthused....

Dilemma...   what do I do...?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

How much in credit is your Wife-miles account? image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hw many other opportunities would you get to do this?

If it were me and I knew that the organisers were happy for me to do it - I'd do it in an instant. It may also help your bad water qualification?
  • Options

Jimbob, RS - I am at Heathrow 1255 with my parents on Good Friday... I'm depositing them in St Paul's and staying with some friends in Camden. I suspect I will be up for running late Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday am.

Appreciate this is unlikely to meet your plans but let me know - will do a bit of a run Saturday am if don't hook up with you guys - fancy picking up a London parkrun along the way too...

• Options

Thanks for your message atm. I've emailed Alvarum as well as ASO earlier today, but I guess they won't be able to respond until tomorrow. I had emailed Alvarum eariler this week as well and they just asked me to try again using the same code they had provided me. Hopefully its just a technical glitch and my registration has been completed.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Hw many other opportunities would you get to do this?

If it were me and I knew that the organisers were happy for me to do it - I'd do it in an instant. It may also help your bad water qualification?

I already told the organisers that I didn't think it would be possible this year, and they have asked me to reconsider...   they said they'd love to have me there and give it a go..

Yes..  it would be superb for the Badwater application..

• Options

Convocation form found and printed off.  Thanks Dark Vader and ATM image

I was having a mild heart attack trying to find the details before.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I understand that charity links to big races is relatively new in France so there's bound to be glitches, SR. Don't panci, just keep on top of them..as we all will now that we're looking for the magic' Convocation' * see above* Is this your first marathon? first Paris? Which charity are you running for? And well done on reaching your target.

Don't post a pic of that horse's-head-in-a-bed, Weedy! DV needs to agonise a bit before he says yes...image

• Options

Good jon on all the LSRs to everyone.

TJB - what an awesome race report!!

DV - the Georgia run sounds incredible.  As much as I like big challenges, you're right in noting that so much training takes its toll on those who like to spend time with you.  Is Mrs DV a runner?   Perhaps she could go as part of a relay?

ATM - thanks SO much for the email.

As for me, I did a marathon this weekend.   7 miles Saturday, 19.2 today.  I was going to do 18 today, but tacked on the extra 1.2 so I could round it out to a nice 26.2.    Quite pleased with todays run.  We paniced a bit as it started out by pouring rain on the drive to the park, so we waited in the car for 'just 10 minutes' which seemed to do the trick.  After that it was an amazing day.   First 2 miles I felt like I was running with someone elses legs -  legs that belonged to a flamingo on the first day of breakdancing class.  Nothing was right - no tempo whatsoever.  Then it all fell in line.   Miles 5-10 were an all-terrain off-road adventure thanks to google maps not knowing of a certain gate.  Miles 11-17 were on auto-pilot, I felt great but barely remember them.   My Garmin read a constant 8:48 pace for so long I thought I might have paused it by accident.   I did my last mile in 7:30 just to see what I had left in me.   Finished in 2:49 for the day.   Feeling good about it.  Now bring on the taper and the beers.

• Options

Hello everyone,

I've not been on here at all this year, but am making the annual pilgrimage as usual.

An insane year's work (away from home during the week) has made it very difficult to train consistently; I'm currently some distance off my pace.

As I said last year (and the year before that), next year I'm going to crack it

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DV - that's proper well mad!!!!  Proper bonkers running mad!!! but also kinda brilliant...in a super masochistic way.  My question: if bad water wasn't the end goal, would you be considering this?  Take very run on it's own merits when you get to these MAD MAAAAAD distances.  I think you'll need to get quite a few wife miles in the bank before attempting it though or have a VERY big payment booked for afterwards.

• Options
    I'm all out of wife miles, having to use the overdraft to do our thread taper/LSR.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

TJB - bring her to the pub afterwards.  We'll get her drunk so she forgets allll about it.

• Options
    Wow this forum moves along fast! Have a little sleep and its moved on 5 pages!

Congrats to everyone on their LSRs, you all sound so preparer and ready! Hello taper!

DV - what an amazing event to achieve! But, like RS said, significant wife credits required before/after. But also, if this isn't your main goal, could you be using up wife/body credits that you might need for the actual goal?

Thanks all for your words of wisdom:

RR - ice was so much better, now sitting at work wondering whether I can sit with a bag of peas all day.

DV - I promise to take it easy, will start w trip to physio.

Weedy - thanks for the encouragement, sometimes the mental bit is the worst part is worst, wondering whether you've done the right thing.

Tricky - brilliant clip, just sensational, theraband! Love it!
  • Options

ATM - It's my second marathon - I ran the Montreal marathon in September last year. I'm running for Enfants du Mékong, a charity that helps kids in south east asia. 

• Options
    Just got me chip time. 1.33.13 finishing 1016th out of 12863. Chuffed could be an understatement.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

DV I'm not going to encourage you, it sounds completely barmy to me. But I know you may well do it anyway, and if so the very best of luck. You are the best placed to judge it Vs your options, capabilties and interest. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jus T wrote (see)

RR - ice was so much better, now sitting at work wondering whether I can sit with a bag of peas all day.

Of course you can. I've been doing that for months now in what is rather difficult area to ice! That bag of frozen peas has served me well.

• Options
    TJB - way to go image . I'm still laughing at 'I just kept swearing and running past people' - what a lovely picture that paints. I think you're going to have to give me a head start on Good Friday.

RS - sounds like you're back on the mend - ace.

Jus T - your workmates probably think you're crazy already. A bag of peas will make very little difference.

So, my reward for reaching the taper is...a two day conference in Brussels image . Have sneaked my running shoes into my bag though, so if anyone's around at 7am on Tuesday morning for a canter around the Parc Leopold, do get in touch image .

And finally - Eggy, I give up - what is Elvis porridge?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Peanut butter and jam porridge = Elvis porridge.

• Options
    Of course it is.
  • Options
    Eggy - that sounds marvellous.

Also, you've got some understanding workmates dude!