Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Weedy has special powers....

Ugh it's awfully early. London calling...
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    A conference. Lucky me!
  • How refreshing. I can travel to a whole different country and still get to run in icy rain image .
  • nothing like icy rain RR, trainers are still drying out on the rad from Sunday.

YM, where's yer conferance? Anywhere near Camden?

• The rain yesterday was almost out of a hollywood film..  the sky just opened up and dropped an ocean on us....   image

Unlike Paris...   that is going to be sunshine all the way..   

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I think Paris will be a huge temperature shock. We still have sub zero temperatures and my last long run on Sunday was in a blizzard. It's still snowing.....

I am going to have the whitest legs ever seen in running shorts in Paris. You'll spot me a mile off!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Central London Jim. Just arriving into Paddington, it feels like lunchtime already...
  • Goldeagle wrote (see)

MM, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your password situation but when it asks for your 'old' password isn't that the one they've just sent you? Then you can change it to your own 'new' password?

Hi Goldeagle, They don't actually send through a password at all. They just send a link that logs you in without having to enter credentials.

• That was an early start yer_maj

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Crickey - this thread is moving rather fast!!

Dark Vader wrote (see)

The entry list for the 2013 Badwater is announced today...   only one person from the UK..  it is (as always!) about 80% US entrants, with the rest being divided among the rest of the world..

geezz...  I'm really going to have to make my application something special to be offered a place...   image

I'm sure we can help. I think at the moment just saying: I survived the TP100 this year will be enough. Did you see the message about the weather this weekend?

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I confidently predict there will be weather in Paris for the marathon.

I'm still trying to work out what a convocation is, even though I've downloaded mine. Google translate suggests 'call-up' or 'whip' image . Can someone reassure me I haven't volunteered to join the Foreign Legion?

I was thinking the same thing - i asked a french colleague and she said: are you being whipped before the marathon?

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    If me an Holgs can finish Ironmen, any one can !

You don't want to say stuff like that to me... I might just do it!

Well... last night's club trial was an epic fail. They hadn't updated their website so I rock up and there's noone there image

I went out for 6 miles this morning and we'll not mention how it went image

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the taper madness!

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Ahhh.. MM, I was misunderstanding the situation. Sounds crazy.

Ashton 20 done last Sunday so all the hard work's over. Rain sleet and snow but despite running it quicker than intended felt really easy and had lots left at the end.

11 work days to go....

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

A I couldn't even engage my lower abdominal muscles to roll my pelvis (cue DLR) 

Awwww....work it baby, work it.

Steve - I was in blue last year.  There's wave starts based on times/colours but last year they also split the pens in two (left and right) and started them randomly.  I guessed wrongly and was in the second half of blue.  On the downside that meant I was passing quite a few people throughout (occassional weaving) but I was into my stride within 5 metres of starting.  If you are in the second half of your pen the only real problem might be if you need to overtake the pace makers from the first half.  People run in a bunch behind them and they constitute a kind of rolling road block.  I passed one group after about 5 miles and the second at about 15 miles.  Catch them on a wide boulevard and it's fine, catch them where it's narrower and you'll need your wits about you for the minute or so it takes to squeeze past.  If you're in the first half there won't even be that problem.

• You know you want to do it Emmy !
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    You know you want to do it Emmy !

I do. I'm in a similar situation to Holgs before his first: Can't swim (well I can but it's 'lady' swimming - not very fast but quite pretty).

Ironman is on the cards for a few years time - I want to get my 100 marathons first. 10 down - 90 to go image

• When we entered the Big Woody for Holgs stag night, I couldn't swim a length of the local pool, and had a 15 year old hybrid bike... There really is no excuse
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Every year I do a local sprint triathlon here and enjoy it as it's normally a fun day out but the one part i struggle on is the swim and its where i'm normally overtaken by children! The only adult lessons I can find in my local area are for real beginners who cannot swim at all.

• Em..   as long as you can swim the distance within the time required, you'll be fine.  There is nothing to be gained by trying to be an excellent swimmer.  You either are, or you're not and the time spent trying to get better simply just isn't worth it.  I'm rubbish at swimming, but I can plod on.   When I did Iron Man France I was the 5th last person (out of 2200 people!) out of the water, but I caught and overtook about 600 people on the bike.  Put all your training effort into the bike.  You know you can run, so you can ignore that too..  it's all about the bike.

And.. remember...  despite me being a rubbish swimmer I did manage to drag myself about 15 miles across the Channel towards France (over 10 hours of which was just with one arm!).   So.. I'm sure you'll be fine.

• just had a nice post-Reading recovery run. 4.2 miles as the crow flies from home to the office across a green looking hampstead heath, lovely fresh morning. Didn't want to anything apart from jog in and keep the legs loose. Turns out my gentle jog pace these days is much quicker than my old half marathon race pace from this time last year! it's amazing how much you improve with the right training. (touch wood everything holds together)image 

• You are flying Jimbob...  stay out of trouble and Paris will be good for you..  image

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

TJB - I've not been running that long but I still havent got my head round how much I have improved. I still feel daunted by the idea of running at a certain pace when in reality I can do it much easier once I set out.

• Trev, your marathon pace is going to be chunk slower than your half pace, so you should be able to "settle" and relax for a good while, keeping the heartrate down. Hopefully our endurance work will take us on through the later miles without a massive loss of form - there's bound to be a fade in the last 6 or 7 miles but we must always remember to follow the instructions of Yoda and Obi Wan - don't go off too quickly. Stick (give or take a few seconds) to your target pace. Of course it could all go Pete Tong! I'm thinking of talking to some dietician friends of mine about foods and drink that are good for the immune system. Imagine if you got man-flu - you'd be well hacked off!

People, check out my finish at Reading. White hat, yellow top, dodgy posture crossing the line on the right - checks the watch and then celebrates!

http://www6.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?new_search=1&event=Sports%2FCPUK%2F2013%2FReading%20Half%20Marathon&match=2033&camera=3398&lap=0#video

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Cheers TJB, think I have decided that my pace will be 8m/m. As long as I dont go quicker than that in the first 20 I should be able to hold on. If not I seem to be able to run at about 8:25-8:30m/m when I'm completely shattered and just want to stop.

Nice vid by the way, love the pause between finish and celebration.

• Trev, thats basically what I'll be going for as well. Frm the blue pen (start with us dude!)

• Emmy  - I know what you mean.....I too would love to some day, but absolutely detest swimming(although in my younger years I used to knock out 80lengths a night) so........image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5857008409342135106?banner=pwa

Day 2 of the taper and the mantra is...

Expo: 1. Medical Certificate

2. Convocation

3. Passport

Lurkers/people actually working/anyone who's taken their eyes of the thread for more than 5 minutes....Convocation ( apart from being the collective noun for eagles...) If it's new to you, scroll back or speak up 'cos this is important.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Trev, thats basically what I'll be going for as well. Frm the blue pen (start with us dude!)

TJB - sounds like a plan. I need to change pens but was planning to do that at the EXPO.

• 2 sorted just the medical certificate to go.........16.10 tomorrow........hopefully or I maybe in the cheerleading party........

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Weedy - how are you posting pictures?

I can only do it from a picture that's already on the internet. Click on the upload image box, then click on the left one of the three options (uploading from an external site) then copy and paste the URL in there.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Weedy - how are you posting pictures?

yer_maj wrote (see)
    Weedy has special powers....

My only special power is the power to sleep (and send people to sleep come to think of it)

Orbutt - that picture's ace. Altho it does look slightly like you're riverdancing image

Jimbob - where was the Orbot as you crossed the line?