Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Kaz - Positive mental attitude!image

• Trev, i'm in "Gris" pen at the moment so i need to bump up to "bleu" at the Expo as well. gonna take my recent half marathon results just in case they give me gip! i'm told it will be fine but taper paranoia says i should do it to be on the safe side.

Kaz, just give them your lovely smile and tell them what you have been up to for the last month in terms of mileage and they're bound to sign it!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5857008409342135106?banner=pwa

I've followed your instructions , Weedy, but...   image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Yeah, I tried too but got the blue ? 

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Good Lord. It has indeed started. I think I may have to miss a lot of the next 3 weeks on here. You're all freaking each other out about things we have discussed repeatedly in the last 6 weeks!

Stay cool, all.

Steve Duffy 2 wrote (see)
    Getting very excited now! Got my medical certificate done today. Got told I had "low blood pressure", which surprised me!

Steve - you don't have low blood pressure. You have normal blood pressure. For you. Great stuff.

Best wishes,

Iain

Steve - take encouragement from Iain - he's an authority on these thingsimage  Anyway, the phrase "normal for you" is very embracing!

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    How refreshing. I can travel to a whole different country and still get to run in icy rain image .

When do you think you might go running then Rodent girl? I've got a conference to go to tonight at a business school but maybe I could muster up an early morning run tmrw. How long are you around for?

Right, off to the gym for lunch. There's some fast-twitch muscles to be found.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob - stormed 2 PB and now you see yourself as Luke Skywakerimage . Listening to the wise ones will certainly put you onto the right path of becoming a Jedi knight and why not? The Force is strong in you ! Unfortunately I'm more like C3PO image

Good point about staying health. After my last LSR I certainly see myself on the starting line, shame after months of training to catch a cold.

The video, take salt? I thought about drinking lots of powerade the day before. Would extra salt, the morning or just before the race help?

Pacing is a big one, get it wrong and you could be walking home. Sometimes after a long run I feel invincible and other moments my confidence is very low. My taper madness will be focused on pace. I will be interested to read how everyone is planning their race.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - Riverdance? No, it was the Liverpool Half, not the Mersey halfimage

• PC91 wrote (see)
    The Jimbob - stormed 2 PB and now you see yourself as Luke Skywakerimage . Listening to the wise ones will certainly put you onto the right path of becoming a Jedi knight and why not? The Force is strong in you ! Unfortunately I'm more like C3PO image

Good point about staying health. After my last LSR I certainly see myself on the starting line, shame after months of training to catch a cold.

The video, take salt? I thought about drinking lots of powerade the day before. Would extra salt, the morning or just before the race help?

Pacing is a big one, get it wrong and you could be walking home. Sometimes after a long run I feel invincible and other moments my confidence is very low. My taper madness will be focused on pace. I will be interested to read how everyone is planning their race.

PC91 - or should i call you Goldenrod? does your self proclaimed Starwars name mean you have a running style that is a touch "mincy"?

I'll be taking a lucosade Sport isotonic orange flavour with me on on race day and sipping it up to the start. Found it helpful, not felt over-hydrated.

Pacing wise, i'm going to try to stick to 8s, but that fricken MacMillan calculator is an evil thing - i've loaded in my latest PB and now it's telling me all sorts of naughitness, and how many few extra seconds i could go to get another naughty thing ANYWAY - i'm gonna practice what i preach and run even 8s image

• Weedy, i couldn't do the Orbot. I was drenched. it was only when i saw my new world record i did the seb coe!

• ATM, Danni - it might be because the picture you're trying to link to is over 250k. Try a small picture and see what happens. Or it might be that some can and some can't.

• PARANOIA wll and trully setting in here......

Right - I still have not tried oot the gels, so do I ditch them now and stick with jelly beans and nuuns, plus water obviously??? or do I make some last minute attempt to try them oot???

• PC91 wrote (see)

Meh.  After 7+ months pretty much on the injury bench I'm more Jabba the hutt.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - I'd say play it safe. Go what with you know for this one. Plenty of time to experiment for Berlin later in the year.

• I'd stick with what you know doesn't mess with your stomach Kaz.

• TJB - great vid! So many great ideas, some currently doing, some didn't even think of!

Kaz - no gels! If you've done the training and you're feeling good to go without them then you'll be fine on the day, surely!

Taper crazy in da house, all this star wars talk?? Poor everyone that has anything to do with us over the next two weeks!
  • Jelly beans it is then!!image

Done the training........mmmmmmm.........that'll be a no......0 miles to 20 miles in 5 weeks?? slightly worried.......image

• Positive thinking - I trained well for Paris last year and got injured at 18 miles,  and hobbled my way to the finish.......trained equally well for Amsterdam 2012 and was probably the fittest I have been in a long time.....only to start being sick at 5 miles and had the worst experience ever........so this can only be better!!!image

• Hi all!

Moved jobs so less time to be on the forum (boo) but glad to see you're all here still and having a small case of the panics too.

Did 22.4M LSR on Sunday at a very sloooow pace of 10min/mile ish. Very pleased to get home after one or two walk breaks in the latter 6 miles relatively in one piece, and even managed to LSR the LSH (Long Slow Hill) at the end. Did find myself very emotional on my return home to find OH still there and not yet on his way to the footie. I think he was a bit surprised to find a very sweaty, tired KS sitting on his lap having a sob! I had to reassure him it was All Fine, nothing bad happened and I was simply pleased to see him. There might well be an encore for Paris!

We're staying in an apartment in Montmartre, a reported 35 minutes from the start line on the  Metro. Looks pretty straightforward, but I'm slightly nervous about the apartment set up. Has anyone used localnomad to book their accommodation before? Looks all legit, had a bit of contact but that's petered out a bit. 

I think we're probably way too late to join the pre race pasta party with you lovelies, aren't we? I'd love to make it to see you at the start line and at the pub afterwards though - is it Corcorans?

Well done to you all, we're on the home straight now!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

KeyserSuze - I'm in that area, but in a hotel. I know Malc5 who I met up with last year booked an apartment just around the corner from the Moulin Rouge, but I don't know what company he used. It's very easy to get to the start line from Montmartre.

I think the plan is Corcorans after the race, but be aware it the one in St. Michel not the one in Montmartre.

• I'm in Montmatre too, but a different company KeyserSuze.....

• TD - I was out this morning, back to the UK tomorrow, sadly.

Kaz -I'd stick with the jelly beans and the nuns image . Now is not the time to experiment.
  • the thread is flying today...

• To divert attention from taper madness can I ask a question?

I'm doing Venice on 27th October and have set up a RW thread.  I am overloaded with responses!  Only joking as it is just me so far image  Does anyone think that I can jump on the Berlin thread for motivation?   

• TBH Elizabeth, I would just stay here as half the folk on the Berlin thread are here anyway!!!image

• Oh good, glad I haven't managed to book us an apartment in completely the wrong arrondisement...! Thanks!

if anyone would be so kind as to explain what a convocation is, I'd be very grateful, having booked the dr appt this morning for the medical certificate. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - I can't see any reason why you can't go on the Berlin thread but as Kaz says, a lot of us are on here anyway - and this thread never closes, it merely has a bit of a clean up.

Berlin will at least keep you on roughley the same timescale.

KS - The Convocation is a printed invitation that you download from the ASO website and need to take with you. ATM has posted the full instructions on how to find it, a few pages ago but shout if you have problems.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

We are booked in a hotel near Notre Dame and I am relying heavily on my OH's sense of direction to get me to the place where I collect my number and to the start. The last time I was in Paris, I paid for things in francs, so it's been a while!

Marathon weekend is the weekend before my dreaded 40th birthday so we are making a nice long weekend of it - without the children. Lovely. So I am looking forward to a long weekend of romance, marathon and sightseeing.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

That became a bit of a life story there! Hope no-one's dropped off.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    SP13 wrote (see)

Marathon weekend is the weekend before my dreaded 40th birthday so we are making a nice long weekend of it - without the children. Lovely. So I am looking forward to a long weekend of romance, marathon and sightseeing.

My 40th is later this year, but I'm cancelling it as it's just far too depressing to think about.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Don't say that Eggy73! As my boss so nicely told me, not everyone gets to be 40.

I have to say, I feel a bit mixed about it. I don't feel 40 - even if my husband says I look it! image