Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Thanks Orbutt - thanks ATM too, found it about twenty pages back. Now waiting to be reminded of my password!

SP13, sounds like a great way to spend a birthday! My 3-0 will be at Glastonbury this year. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Em..   as long as you can swim the distance within the time required, you'll be fine.  There is nothing to be gained by trying to be an excellent swimmer.  You either are, or you're not and the time spent trying to get better simply just isn't worth it.  I'm rubbish at swimming, but I can plod on.   When I did Iron Man France I was the 5th last person (out of 2200 people!) out of the water, but I caught and overtook about 600 people on the bike.  Put all your training effort into the bike.  You know you can run, so you can ignore that too..  it's all about the bike.

And.. remember...  despite me being a rubbish swimmer I did manage to drag myself about 15 miles across the Channel towards France (over 10 hours of which was just with one arm!).   So.. I'm sure you'll be fine.

That's definitely positive! You're just a machine DV!

Dark Vader wrote (see)

You are flying Jimbob...  stay out of trouble and Paris will be good for you..  image

Agreed!

kaz1 wrote (see)

Positive thinking - I trained well for Paris last year and got injured at 18 miles,  and hobbled my way to the finish.......trained equally well for Amsterdam 2012 and was probably the fittest I have been in a long time.....only to start being sick at 5 miles and had the worst experience ever........so this can only be better!!!image

That's great positive thinking, Kaz

kaz1 wrote (see)

TBH Elizabeth, I would just stay here as half the folk on the Berlin thread are here anyway!!!image

Yep. I think that's a given. I'd love to do Venice but i've already signed up to Frankfurt the same day.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

SP13 - My 30th is the Thursday after the marathon so me and the other half are spending some time relaxing in Paris, cant wait!image

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

It's a great way to celebrate turning a sharp corner! Happy birthday for the 11th, Trevor!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I really need to check where my hotel is image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Listen people did you not get the memo, birthdays are cancelled. No more birthdays, ever!

• Options

Me too, big birthday the day after the marathon. The hope is I'll be too happy with a PB to be depressed!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Attention! Smugness Alert.

I think if I'd registered for Paris, hadn't found the sort of help we've had from this forum, its predecessors and the French equivalents and had received the ' convocation' email....I'd be freakin' out. I don't think we're particularly stupid...imageThe system is not easy to follow. We're alright * 'smug' * but who has ever used' convocation' in a sentence? C'mon...

@ KS I'm going to repost  that posting a good few times over the next few weeks in case the thread gets random readers...

• Options

ATM..   didn't we have a checklist somewhere...?

Things like..:

• medical certificate
    • marathon hair cut
    • toe nails trimmed
    • safety pins
    • spare safety pins
    • socks
    • passport

etc/..     I remember we managed to compile an impressive list to worry the hell out of anyone with OCD tendances....

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I'm here because of my big four-oh last year.

SP13 - romance before the marathon... I think you should see how you feel before planning any sight seeing. Perhaps a bus tour or river boat ride. My plans for the day after are, curled up in a ball, feeling sorry for myself, wearing my medal and chatting on the forum.

KS and Emmy, Paris is small and the metro is great.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Toenails trimmed on Thursday, DV! * OCD R Us..*

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Having thought I had booked a hotel really close to the start it looks like its about 1.5miles away. Would I be stupid walking that in the morning?

• Options

Yes please ATM - that was a big help and definitely curbed the rising panic as another thing got added to the 'to do' list, alongside 'print out a tree's worth of paper and don't forget to pack it'!

• Options

is it just me????  I got a reply from Paris Marathon and it says I can print out that Conv...thingy, and you guessed it, I'm still not fecking registered on ASO....hey ho. 

To cheer me up, I went to Decathlon and bought me a new running shirt with my name on the front, so I hope everyone will cheer me along the 42+KM's in Paris. 

I wish I was 40 anything!!

I've cut my toenails too short - OUCH...!

getting my gear together and all things Paris in the hallway....eeek, not long now

• Options

Hello - i'm staying here - its in between Place de Clichy and Rome metro stations - 5 stops from the Arc (no changes i believe). No idea what the area is like but it's cheap n cheerful and it gets ok reviews on trip advisor:

http://www.hoteldecabourg.fr/?lang=en#footer

(btw Dan's staying somehwere posh thats about 500 metres from the Arc)

• Options

http://www.champselysees-paris-hotel.com/

we are staying here......anyone else?  It says it's 16min walk to Arc....

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭
    PC91 wrote (see)
    I'm here because of my big four-oh last year.

SP13 - romance before the marathon... I think you should see how you feel before planning any sight seeing. Perhaps a bus tour or river boat ride. My plans for the day after are, curled up in a ball, feeling sorry for myself, wearing my medal and chatting on the forum.

KS and Emmy, Paris is small and the metro is great.

Romance before the marathon and sightseeing after. That's the plan image Shuffling round on sore legs for hours the day after a marathon is great - especially when you see others also going backwards down steps!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Hello - i'm staying here - its in between Place de Clichy and Rome metro stations - 5 stops from the Arc (no changes i believe). No idea what the area is like but it's cheap n cheerful and it gets ok reviews on trip advisor:

TJB - Place de Clichy is very close to my hotel. The area around that way is fine.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

According to the mighty hotel gods i am here:

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/?ui=2&ik=bc0ab6b50b&view=att&th=13a69202f216b6d7&attid=0.1.3&disp=emb&zw&atsh=0

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Staying in Google Mail, sounds painful!

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

TJB - Place de Clichy is very close to my hotel. The area around that way is fine.

OK Brother, we'll get the metro in on the day with Ingrid right?

(ooh it's exciting planning it all)

• Options

I think this word 'convocation' is a bit of dodgy phonetic translation. It sounds as though someone in the office has been put in charge of 'confirmation' and got it slightly wrong? Or had a cold when dictating? Much of the English translation for this event is at best hyper-poetic and occasionally surreal. I particularly enjoyed last years' check-list which advocated the inclusion of 'plasters for the tits'. I'm sure many of you people remember that one. But I'm not one to criticise; we Brits are not reknowned for our polyglot skills. 

Jimbob - I'm supposed to be in Red, but no-way! That was before I got injured and missed most of the autumn. Will probably park myself at the back of Yellow and hope ALL the runners in the section behind haven't swamped me by the Place de la Concorde! Shoes just about dried-out after Reading.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TJB - Sounds like a plan. Kaz is out that way too. Runnersworld number 2 metro to the Arc. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Someone asked about things to do....This is probably the wrong thread but there's a free Exhibition at the Hôtel-de-Ville ( we run past it ) on , errr, Haute Couture. Lost on me but maybe one for the fashionistas among us(?). Your daughters, kaz?

Scan everything, KS, and send it to yourself in case you have to print it all , again, in Paris. image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

TJB - we stayed out by Rome last year.

We hopped the Metro in for the race, as it was just too far to walk an only a couple of stops.

Word of warning - the Metro was bunged. They could have employed Japanese shovers. So, if you do plan to get the Metro, work out how long you think it will take you and then go for the earlier train.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    DV - why socks ? Spare socks! Did you add it just to freak me out? It's like Weedy's list conundrum.

How long does it take at the bag consignment? ( Before the race:-P )

ATM - you're a star. I wonder how the none-French, none RW Forum, people are getting on.
  • Options

M'aidez!

My earlier antsiness about the flat has been proven right (hurrah) and our apartment's fallen through (boo). To be fair, they have offered a replacement but it's only got a sofa bed, which I fear will not be comfortable enough for my poor aching marathon muscles (or the two nights before). 

All suggestions for a cheap-ish hotel room (although at this stage, a hotel room would be nice) welcome. 

Thanks!

• Options
    I, Orbot. How long does it take to walk.? Thinking might hop in a cab
  • Options

Seen a few people mentioning changing their starting pen; we can do this? I hope so...having never ran before I figured I'd put a safe 4:00, but am now hoping to push for 3:30, so it'd be good to move forward to avoid a bigger crowd early on.

Did my first half marathon at the weekend, paced myself for the first half (was afraid of injury and I'd already done a 20mile that week) and then picked up the pace in the second and got a 1:39:50 which I'm kinda happy with. Didn't eat/drink anything on the way around and still felt pretty good when I finished so I guess the longer training has paid off!

This is all so exciting now! 

I've seen saturday stuff mentioned, but is there any kind of post-race meetup planned? Appreciate I'm not a big contributor here, but as I'm heading over on my own and all I figure I'm happy to be social.

• Options

@Daddsy

head to the pub once you are done....

Corcorans

28 rue st andrew des arts

Metro Saint Michel