Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I cycled to the doctors to have my med cert signed today.  He duly completed the form in my husband's name with his DOB....I hadn't realised I looked so masculin imageWhen I pointed out the mistake he scrawled my name over the top and changed the date of birth.  I confess that it looks as though I have made the corrections myself!  Luckily, he signed a med cert for Venice at the same time so I will take both just in case there is a problem.

• Options

talkin of pub, how do i get there from the finish? is there a map?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

talkin of pub, how do i get there from the finish? is there a map?

Take the metro to St Michel. The pub is just around the corner from the metro station.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Follow the noise of Radar Sal shouting "I beat you" image

Have a shower first, please.  ATM will be checking...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Right. I need a job and the Mobiles List is it..

I'm compiling a list of mobile numbers. Please don't assume I have yours from other years. The message facility , through the forum, is not working so please email me your number. I'm at   atmparis75 at yahoo dot com  The list will be circulated to those on it before we start leaving for Paris. It's come in handy in the past...and not just for Expo meetups. There's no need for anyone to wander around with no mates...unless they like that..or to have a solo meltdown at the bibs desk.

So, in addition to any more photos for our Who's Who, numbers please!

TJB, it's yards from the Saint Andre Des Arts Exit at Saint Michel, Metro Line 4. * Or RER B or C at Saint Michel.* I think I'll go back to the flat and get out of me shorts, first..image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

yer_maj, is it only you and me in those frocks? A few of us would look cool. 2 of us will look a bit....well, weird image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

ATM you have mine, it's not changed...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

yer_maj, is it only you and me in those frocks? A few of us would look cool. 2 of us will look a bit....well, weird image

I'm wearing mine, weird or not....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image I'll look like your stalker...

• Options

ATM - you have my mobile no. don't you?  Bib no. 31612

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yep, got yours EE and yer_maj.

• Options

MM - the whole point of even splits is that you don't speed up at any point, you keep the pace even and constant the whole way round. This is by far the best strategy for anyone who has raced less than 20 hard marathons IMO (I count myself in this 'inexperienced group').

Larri - it's impossible for anyone else to set goal times for you. They have to be something meaningful in your own head. A lot depends on your age and natural rate of recovery. I found trying to do two maras two weeks apart at age 41 to be an absolute killer. My advice would be to ditch goals and run to have fun. I'd also only do gentle and short runs now, maybe with a few strides in those runs maybe three times over the next 10 days. You can't get fitter, you can only recover well...

A.N.Other cracking intervals session today on the treadie this lunchtime. Gruelling 5x 1kms with 1% grad @16.5k. HR peaked at 97% - phew! image

• Options

ATM - you're not doing the breakfast run this year?

TD - wow.

• Options
    Emmy and RR.... there may be a course change for this weekend's TP100 ultra due to the weather and flooding of the Thames. Before heading out to meet, watch or pace please check the Centurion web site for the latest info on the course

I feel relaxed about it, whatever happens.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

No, Iain. Saturday,I'm picking up my bib in the morning and going on a guided walk of fictional crime scenes, from a 1950s novel,later.I know how to party.

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Now for a serious running/pacing question. The guy in TJB's video suggested even splits. Sounds great in theory.

I get that I need to go out slow. I have no problem with that.

But when's the point at which you start speeding up?

Sorry MM but I can't resist. This is when you start speeding up:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H-pJaAwf_K8/T4LrB3dqtuI/AAAAAAAAAfc/E7OdF_7BRJY/s1600/MarathonParis2012_km42AvenueFochEtMi26.jpg

Seriously, I would agree with TD (see message above). 

• Options
    Denis - I can't WAIT to be there!

ATM - what a great tour. I'm going to chill out after the Breakfast Run, movie or bus tour. Weather dependent I expect. A day chilling in Paris. You know, life is good.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DV - just been looking at the details for the TP100. Looks like a fantastic event but I can't get my head round how its possible to run that kind of distance. I assume you run it much slower than your marathon pace? Do you stop at all for breaks or to have meals or is it just one long run all the way? What's your target time?

Sorry for all the questions but I find these things quite fascinating image

Denis/TD - re. the pacing, I've been having similar thoughts to MM. Is starting slower not a good idea then? I did this in the Spitfire a few weeks back. I ran the first 10 miles at MP+40s then the next 10 at MP or just under. Felt really good at the end. Last week I tried to do even MP+20s and felt alot more tired at 20 miles. 

I've been trying to work out whether I need to revise my MP target. I just desperately want to avoid getting to 20 miles and tailing off. So I thought if I do like I did at Spitfire I at least know I am capable of that. Or am I being too negative?

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Denis/TD - re. the pacing, I've been having similar thoughts to MM. Is starting slower not a good idea then?

You could consider a slower start. In fact, it is hard to warm up properly before a marathon. Most of the time, you have to be in your pen early and stay there. So you could have a slowish start and start running at marathon pace after 3km. You should be properly warmed up by then. After that, you will need to increase your pace to catch up. Unfortunately, I am not sure about the best place to do so. You might want to consider the Bois de Vincennes as I seem to remember it is fairly flat. I wouldn't leave it to end though.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I used this website to calulate my pace needed for my target finish time - it allow you to sepcifiy how slow you want to start, and for what distance, as well as if you fade towards the end - then figures out your pacing for the inbetween miles as well.  Very good.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Marathon_Pace_Band

Be sure to set safety time to zero and check the "show paces" - else you only see accumulated time

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Denis/TD - re. the pacing, I've been having similar thoughts to MM. Is starting slower not a good idea then? I did this in the Spitfire a few weeks back. I ran the first 10 miles at MP+40s then the next 10 at MP or just under. Felt really good at the end. Last week I tried to do even MP+20s and felt alot more tired at 20 miles. 

I've been trying to work out whether I need to revise my MP target. I just desperately want to avoid getting to 20 miles and tailing off. So I thought if I do like I did at Spitfire I at least know I am capable of that. Or am I being too negative?

You might have been running on tired legs, recovering from the first 20M. I think you did very well there as you felt good at the end. 20M races during a marathon preparation can be tricky as you need time to recover. You have been sensible with your pace during that race so I would not worry too much about the next 20M you did. Saying that, I can't tell you how you are going to feel at the 20M marker in Paris. It is hard to decide on your marathon pace and and I am likely to get it wrong myself this year.

• Options
    Great site Dannirr.

Is this what you make your marathon band from?
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Iain - yes.  I like it as it allows a slow start and a fade at the end - both of which I tend to do.

The other info on this site is good too

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

I used this website to calulate my pace needed for my target finish time - it allow you to sepcifiy how slow you want to start, and for what distance, as well as if you fade towards the end - then figures out your pacing for the inbetween miles as well.  Very good.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Marathon_Pace_Band

Be sure to set safety time to zero and check the "show paces" - else you only see accumulated time

Thanks. This is great. I like the fact that you can include a fading time and distance. When I get to 20M, I struggle to keep the pace.

• Options

Malc - I feel the same as  you, In all my long runs I start slow and speed up throughout but I have attempted some at even pace and just bombed by 20 miles.....

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE SIGNED.......PHEW!! image  Only question asked "Well are you fit enough??" My reply "who knows!!"

Junior has saw two doctors today......Only because I was there this afternoon......Doc isn't convinced it is sprained, but wants to wait 48hours before xrays.........in the hope that things improve but in docs own words "This seems a lot like the foot??"image Time will tell..........

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Kaz - there's another reason to wait before X-raying - sometimes a small undisplaced fracture (like a stress fracture for example) is very difficult to see, and waiting allows the bone to start healing and that increased activity at the fracture site makes it somewhat easier to see - so less chance of missing the diagnosis.  Of course, here in the US where we go way overboard, they would have already sent him for a bone scan!

• Options

Dannirr - Thanx, that makes sense!image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannir - thanks for the site. I was looking into building a fade into my pace band and this does the trick