Comments

• Options

one can tell you are not running and you have too much time on your hands

• Options
    Goldeagle wrote (see)

You think you've got problems.....

League One is fun....;)

Scott the walker wrote (see)
    Thanks yer maj , I think I can just squeeze it in ( cue DLR ) the box ( oh Lordy ) image

Ooh, Matron

Dannirr wrote (see)

Iain - yes.  I like it as it allows a slow start and a fade at the end - both of which I tend to do.

The other info on this site is good too

Not sure if this is helpful for anyone or not but last year I set myself a target of 7:45 a mile up to mile 21 then allowed myself to slow down to 8:30 oddif I needed to (can't remember exact figure) from there on to still hit sub 3:25.  In other words I gave myself a buffer.

When I reached mile 21 I was averaging 7:42 and felt good to carry on like that but because the plan said I could drop to 8:30 ish the next mile was 8:20 odd.  I then went up/down each mile but the last .34 mile was down at about 6:50 a mile.  

I interpret that as meaning because I almost planned to fade I did, and maybe I could have trimmed another couple of minutes off if I'd tried to keep an even pace throughout.  Maybe just a case of mindset and how you view fading?

• Options

Amazed tonight......10k, first 2 mile at 9.06, 9.22(massive, steep hill), 8.34, 8.36, 8,29 and final mile 7.46, last weee bit 1.46..........7.46!!!!!!!image

• Options

Nicely done Kaz.  I think things may go very well for you in Paris.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Well done. Great running.

I must admit I tend to fade towards the end of long runs and marathons. I was seven minutes slower over the second half of Paris last year than the first half and that's the best I've ever done. There's been far far worse than that.

• Options

Thanks guys, some brilliant suggestions for accommodation!

Hotel de Cabourg looks pretty good, cheaper than the apartment and they have a double room free too, hurrah. Fingers crossed they'll confirm it asap. 

Did efforts tonight with my Garmin for company, was quite fun to go flat out for a bit after so long doing slooooow and steady.

• Options
    Gold 3.29.59 or less

Silver 3.39.59 or less

Bronze 3.49.59 or less

Think I will change to purple pen but blue is still tempting. My half marathon time of 1.38.25 places me on the outskirts of 3.30 but am aware that if i am unale to keep the pace it could turn into a miserable experience. Having not run a marathon before, the big question is can i hold a pace of 8 mm for 26 miles when i have held a pace of 7.30 for 13 miles 3 weeks ago. Felt so good after this but the picture has become confusing since then. Too much time on my feet along with speed work and interval training. Hve made sme good times but it has all been too much. Wish I had heeded the advice for a 50 year old to limit interval or speed work to one session per week. Trying my best to recover and limit myself now and recharge.

Any advice on whether to do a 10k this weekend or instead run a 13 miler either with the last 5 miles at marathon pace or just go slow throughout?
  • Options
    There's a 10k race in Exeter
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Phew!  you guys have been busy.  Only got 2 mins before heading into more work.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Follow the noise of Radar Sal shouting "I beat you" image

Have a shower first, please.  ATM will be checking...

No this year!!!  I'll be screaming "I SURVIVED" if I manage to finish and hunched in a corner drowning my sorrows in leprechaun cordial if I don't.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

nSorry, 'can't give you any running advice, alexander.Someone sensible will be along in a minute with an informed opinion. But , whatever you do, it's going to be a PB. image If it's any help, I can send you some details about the actual route..links to maps/3-D models of the course etc. email me.The messge thingy doesn't work.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Denis Duret wrote (see)

You might have been running on tired legs, recovering from the first 20M. I think you did very well there as you felt good at the end. 20M races during a marathon preparation can be tricky as you need time to recover. You have been sensible with your pace during that race so I would not worry too much about the next 20M you did. Saying that, I can't tell you how you are going to feel at the 20M marker in Paris. It is hard to decide on your marathon pace and and I am likely to get it wrong myself this year.

Many thanks Denis. That could have been it. I hope so anyway! image

Sadly I'm not doing Paris this year. I'm doing the Llanelli Marathon on the same day as VLM, two weeks later. 

DLR - that's very interesting psychology there. I think you're right - allowing for a fade is probably going to make a fade more likely. I think I would rather allow for a fade at the start ie. start slower but then people always say it's very hard to run a negative split.

Kaz - glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds even pacing tough. I've never tried the slow start and get quicker strategy in a marathon though. I've had one where I ran pretty even pace but I was injured and had slowed everything down. All the others have been the classic out too fast and fade away variety image 

You seem to have come back briliantly by the way. You must be so pleased to be back into the groove.

Danirr - that's a great little calculator, I think I will definitely be making use of it - many thanks!

• Options
    Thanks Eggyh and TD for your comments. I will be looking for having fun time more than getting fast time in Paris. So my goals are

Bronze-finish

Silver-4:45

Gold-4:30
  • Options

List fairy please put me down for "Run To The Beat Half Marathon - September 8th".  they've just knocked me for £49.50 and forced me to buy their pony dry fit nike running top, but there is good atmosphere up there and there be pace up there to work with. That and GNR will be nice races in my warm up for Berlin. Must do some 20s in July and August though.

Anyone else in? you can't enter yet till the prioirty booking is over but there are bound to be places left over. If you are feeling flush stump up the £49.50! (SKANK) and it's actually quite a good route/medal. Plus you'll be hanging with The Jimbob which is just bloody brilliant.

• Options

Dannirr - I'm definately using that calculator for Berlinimage

Malc - Thank You! Still a long way to go, but I am seeing steady improvement! Hopefully it will continue.

DLR - As long as I make the end, and in better shape than Amsterdam, I will be happy!

RS - I think that has inspired a new song for the Paris playlist.......Shame I can't figure oot how to play the song I want at any given time.........image

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Does anyone else get a bit more excited every time they check back on here?! I'm not suffering taper-madness as yet but can tell it'll kick in next week. I've already starting making plans for the first week of the Easter holidays so can keep my daughter amused, without over exerting myself too much. Easier said than done considering we usually charge around at 100% pretending to be lions or spaceman at playtime.....!

Nice little 6K recovery trot for me this morning, 16K at race-pace tomorrow then another 16K recovery VERY early on Friday morning before the 8.30am train to Torquay.

Have to say, after going 89 days (!) without any booze or crap food, I've mixed feelings about a three-day bender on the English Riviera this weekend. On one hand I'm excited to relax a bit and generally get aled up, but I've this nagging feeling that it'll somehow jeopardize the three months of hard work before Paris....?!

Have to admit, when the date was announced for the jolly I was wishing it was AFTER Paris...!

On another note, have sent ATM my mobile number to add to the list and am looking forward to seeing you all in the boozer in the evening. What time are we looking at gathering?

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

DV - just been looking at the details for the TP100. Looks like a fantastic event but I can't get my head round how its possible to run that kind of distance. I assume you run it much slower than your marathon pace? Do you stop at all for breaks or to have meals or is it just one long run all the way? What's your target time?

Sorry for all the questions but I find these things quite fascinating image

Malcs..  that's a good observation.   It takes a lot of practice to stay on your feet for this kind of distance.  The key issues are pacing, nutrition, hydration, mental strength, endurance against injury and fatigue, having the correct kit and most importantly maintaining a sense of humour whatever is thrown at you.

Unlike probably any other running distance, ultras runners don't ask each other about PB's and times or at least not in my experience.  Every run is unique and just because someone may have clocked 20 hours on one run that makes absolutely no guarantee of being replicated on the same distance on a different course.  Every run is different - thus every run is interesting and unique in its own way.

The elite runners will probably run the entire 100 miles non-stop and these guys will maintain sub-3 hour marathon pace for most of that time.   They are truly exceptional athletes.

Those of us who do this just for fun won't be able to perform like that.  I can run at 11-12 m/m pretty much all day (literally) but my marathon pace is much quicker.  My marathon PB is 3:29 and I'd tick along at sub-4 quite comfortably.  However, since my knee injuries I find it too painful to run fast and I am much happier at a slower pace and going for longer.   I am enjoying this so much more than marathons.   I hardly ever train.  You guys here all do so much more than I do.  I find I just don't need to to be training 3, 4 or 5 days a week.  I have done all that years ago and now I have a good base fitness and can do much less, but go on for much longer.

I have a busy life and I just don't the time to train as much as I should...  so, I do what I can do and just accept that I'll never be very quick.  This is good though.  I'm happy just to be able to do this and meet such interesting people.  

Almost without exception, my strategy for every run is this...   run at 11-12 m/m, walk when I feel like it, walk up all hills...   never, ever, ever, run up a hill..  The energy expended is not worth the time gained.  Ultras are a very long way and a few minutes gained by running up a hill could be lost 10 hours later by loss of energy or fatigue.  Energy conservation is critically important.   Some people will stop at aid stations...  I don't. I tend to grab what I want and keep moving...  an aid station stop will be less than 1 minute, but longer if I need to replenish the water.

Above all, look up, look around and see the beautiful countryside...  talk to anyone who will listen...  share a joke with runners about the run and visualise getting to the end in one piece.

My Target time for TP100 is 22-24 hours.  I should be able to do it under 20 hours, but I think that is too ambitious for this weekend.  Just to finish at all will be a success but if I can do it under 24 hours I'll be happy.

Hope that helps...   I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

• Options
    Thanks for thinking of me ATM! It will be a PB! I know I do best when I hold back and undertrain prior to a race. Had a look at Fellnrr (thanks for link)-
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, will you be wearing your GPS thingy. Not that I was thinking of cyber-stalking you. Oh no..image But, if you are.... Send me the link so I can stalk you and post  updates.

Time to concentrate on massage, race outfit, packing lists etc, then, Alexander. Getting to the Start, uninjured, is still the main goal.

Bedders, it's kind of ' anytime' but a shower and something to eat first might be an idea. I think I'll aim for, what, 6 ish? Is that too early? Late? What's everyone else thinking?

It always occurs to me that this might sound like some kind of private party.It's not, of course. Everyone, including all random lurkers, very welcome. ..wearing your medal, of course.

RS, I look forward to the grammar-change Gloria Gaynor number..

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I once saw a brilliant tip for running events, which I try to do in every race and seems to fit in with DV's philosophy.

High 5 as many kids as you can.

Generally, it's fun for both parties and can often lift your spirits.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DV - thanks for taking the time to post. It sounds absolutely amazing. I would love to try an ultra one day but, as I said before, I just can't imagine being able to do it.  

I read Dean Karnazes book a few years back (Ultramarathon Man) and was blown away. At the time I had no idea people even ran those crazy distances. The story about him ordering a pizza and having it delivered to him while he was running was priceless.

So that brings me to another question what the hell do you eat? Surely you can't survice on gels and sweets. And if you don't stop then your tipple of a McD's is out of the question too.

• Options

Alexander. Just echoing on from what ATM is saying. it will be a pb. don't put yourself under too much pressure (by running only 30 seconds per mile slower than your half pb) - that half time is a great time, but a half is a different kind of race - you can chop and change your pace, really fly from 5-10 and huff n puff it out for the last few miles. trying to double all of that is a tall order. i think more experience over the distance, plus alot more mileage might would allow one to do that.

Paris will be my 2nd marathon so over the distance i am quite inexperienced. I've had a good 5 months of training with plenty good long runs in there plus good improving interval work has brought my half pbs crashing down. Now i am running quicker than i have ever run before, largely thanks to a good base of training for a marathon and healthy living. But now, my expectation has shifted - it's changed a couple of times over the last couple of months as i've improved. Now there is a temptation to try to push myself to my limit.

As i am not that experienced over 26.2 miles, there is a real danger of it all going belly! So despite the bloody macmillan calculator telling me how close i am to a medium term goal after my latest pb on Sunday, i am going to stay put, leave that for another time and go with a quick pace, but not super quick for me, leaving a bit spare. That way i hope i can stay comfortable for most of it. If i lay down a strong-ish marker, that will be a roaring sucess for only my second 26.2. Something to try to chip away at through improved training techniques and practice amd experience in the future - like Berlin for me in the Autumn.

But if i try to lay down an amazing marker and over-cook it, i'll end up having a second marathon noch on my bedpost of hell! Which will be worse. So i'm not going to be too greedy. i got greedy the other day at Reading but i am very experienced at half marathons - and that particular course. I want to enjoy Paris and hopefully come back again. I don't want memories of death marching, or struggling with injury, or panicking about the time on my stopwatch. I would like to confidently say that i will get a pb in Paris. and i should as i have a very slow time by my standards to beat. Anything above will be an improvement so i'm moving in the right direction.

• Options
    TD,

Could I ask to join the Saturday pasta party and Sunday get together. Mrs will be with me, so for 2 people total.
  • Options
    Wow, what a difference 36 hours makes. Yesterday's run - slow, crap, painful. Today's run - my shoes felt so light I actually had to check I hadn't left the orthotics out. Everything felt so much easier, even the dreaded intervals. Funny old game, running.

DV - I'd heard parts of the route were flooded. I'll keep an eye on the website.

ATM I'd say I probably won't be at Corcoran's before 5 anyway. I definitely need to eat first.
  • Options
    Great advice. Thanks. I appreciate the idea of being greedy as the cause of one's undoing. Patience is what I need. Best to forget a time goal and go with what feels comfortable on the day. I think if I start out the the first two miles at 8.30, and then take it from there will work and, like you, leave a bit spare in the tank. Hopefully then i will want to runs another andI will have a chance, once I am familiar with the mileage, to do below 3.30
  • Options
    Parks And Recreation has just made me laugh like a drain. Fab.

(Running? Just not thinking about it right now...)
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Alexander, I agree with all the advice. Calculators seem notoriously optimistic when predicting mara times based on half pbs. I would have thought that a 3:45 first marathon   would be a great result. Once you've done one you'll have a much greater understanding of the diistance and what's required. You can then set a realistic target for marathon number 2!

• Options

Well done RR! go girl image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Atlanta Half MArathon thus past Sunday - part of my 20 LSR that day.

http://webkit-fake-url://A84AAF28-3CDB-4063-A179-C41412067348/image.tiff

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Just watched a documentary on Nova. They took 18 sedentary people of all ages and sizes, and put them through a 9 month training program to run the Boston Marathon.  16 of 18 finished. They explained the training, physiology, nutrition etc.  Was really good, anf I think because we are this close to Paris, quite emotional!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

OK, I guess pasting pictures doesn't work - sorry about the blank box above but it was a nice picture. Really