Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

So I think my silly knee thing is ITB related, what's your favourite ITB stretches? I'm going to stretch the f-er out of this thing and it IS going to be right! Maybe before the weekend so i can do 15km run for the kids... Maybe.

If only i could upload you a photo of the bruise my physio left on it Tuesday, it's fist size and looks a beauty!!

• Options

Foam roller it Jus T!

Alexander - I agree with TJB & GE.  For most people the marathon from 20/22 to 26.2 is a whole different ball game.  Up to then you'll have been running faster (for the distance) than before but race day adrenaline seems to even that out, but you'll reach a point where you start to hurt and it doesn't go away.  Part of your mind will be screaming at you to slow down or even stop.  If you hit that point feeling positive about where you are compared to your target then it's mentally easier to carry on through it, but if the target is too ambitious and you're only just hanging on or are a little behind it can make it a whole lot tougher.

Orb - High fiving the kids definitely helps.  Nice for them and everyone is a little lift.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Jus T wrote (see)

So I think my silly knee thing is ITB related, what's your favourite ITB stretches? I'm going to stretch the f-er out of this thing and it IS going to be right! Maybe before the weekend so i can do 15km run for the kids... Maybe.

If only i could upload you a photo of the bruise my physio left on it Tuesday, it's fist size and looks a beauty!!

okay...apparently you can't stretch an ITB (I don't necessarily believe that but will go with the flow), you need to massage it out.  The most effective way of doing this is using a foam roller down the side of your leg for 5-10 mins each day.

The Runnersworld Paris marathon thread "officially" (well...as official as we get) recognises the OROD or BROD as very effective for this type of rehab (aka PAIN, MASSIVE PAIN, but in a good way), to be found here or wherever else you can get it cheap.  The translation of our affectionate name is: Orange/Black roller of doom...enjoy.

• Options
    Larri wrote (see)
    TD,
    Could I ask to join the Saturday pasta party and Sunday get together. Mrs will be with me, so for 2 people total.

Done! And good morning everyone. It's sunny here. Wow it's been a while.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I know I shouldn't probably say this...but...I got an email so though, "I should check out this convocawhatnot".  Went into ASO challenges login, selected the bit on the side with convocationnny on it, details of my entry came up, with a print doc link at the top.  Am I just living in a mad parallel world?

RR - you're near a few of us around the finish.  I'm pretty sure there will be a group lunch (eat until you can't eat noooo more) in the area at about 2-3ish.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    TJB - you're talking too much common sense for taper madness. You're ruining my delusion. Don't worry there are still 19 days for me to allow stupidity creep back in.

DLR - personally I have very little experience, virtually none. However after a failed long run, a lot of things I read which really touched home was 'mental'. I had told myself I couldn't do it and I proved myself right. Those having doubts about pacing will probably struggle on the day if they chose the faster one. *note to myself *
  • Options

Am delighted to say that Weedy is joining us for our little jaunt across Europe this summer, In The Long Run #ITLR2013. Gonna' be a blast imageimage

Glad I don't have to get all convocated to join in as a supporter for you guys.  Has anyone else got any supporters they need taking care of? At the moment it looks like me and Leeds Rob have only got The Jimbob's friend Ingrid to look after (and a question mark next to Kaz's girls). image

• Options
    TD - Mrs Mac would be very grateful if you could look after her. Her navigation skills are even worse than mine.....
  • Options

Malcs...    what to eat is a dliemma.  I've experimented with a wide variety of foods and yes, stopping at McD's for a meal has been done many times.  That's all very well if I'm out on my own on a road run but many ultra events are off-road and there just aren't any shops.  So..  the dilemma then is to carry something, but keep the weight down.   My current experimentation is trying to get to an almost totally liquid diet and just using solids from the aid stations such as sausage rolls, savory eggs and other such things.   I rarely use gels but am happy to take one if I feel it is necessary.  I'm having some success with Perpetuem and will use that as my main fuelling for this weekend and I'll take some Muller Rice which can be sent ahead to the aid stations as a treat later on.  I like jelly beans too.

• Options

Jus T - only backing-up Radar Sal here; you have to get on the foam roller. Agony at first then, after a few sessions, a tremendous relief. Prop yourself up sideways (with the idle leg on top of the one you're rolling on adding weight) and roll up and down lenghth of the ITB. If feeling masochistic you can focus on the most painful bits. Try to relax, ha-ha. 

• Options

Taper madness in full flow here for me!!

Please help allay my fears.....I've got a blister the size of Bristol on my big toe.  It's a nasty one; red and angry.  I've decided to concentrate on cycling this week in order to aid healing.  Will my fitness suffer?  I could normally anwser my own question but I am feeling neurotic - quite normal for me at taper time.

• Options

TD/YM - Who wants to  deal with the moody teenager.......I am hoping she leaves her strops at Kirkwall airport two weeks today but no doubt I/we won't be sooooooo lucky!!!

Arm update - Its bloody agony and not being used??? another 33 hours until docs again........

Gorgeous, very frosty morning here again and looking forward to my 10 miles after work today. Not very impressed with the dvd I did this morning.......I  thought It would be harder after reading lots of reports about how tough it is!! Anyway did first and second levels without anything breaking.image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

No, Elizabeth. You won't lose your fitness. But you can squander it. * Been there..* Don't go too mad on the bike, eh?  Poor toe.

Hang in there, kaz. One day....mmm maybe around 19 (?)...even the moodiest turn into lovely, sociable and reasonable, grown-up  butterflies. It's astonishing to witness. Way more impressive than the real thing.

I must say, I feel absolutely knackered image On the plus side, it is a fabulous....really!...morning. I'm living in a Bonnie Scotland calendar.image

• Options
    DLS/RS/VM - thanks for the roller advice, I have a nice blue one at home, I'll give it a crack tonight. I'm down with a little pain vs gain. I'll have a nice dose of concrete ready to go if I start woosing out.

Tricky - it's likely I'll send Mr T your way, but he may well decide on the day.

Kaz - what is this DVD you speak of?? I hope your daughter is feeling better soon, no wonder she's got her strop on, I reckon I had a permanent strop from age 11 right through til 20!!! I'm sure yours isn't this bad all the time?

In unrelated matters, I got a kitchenaid for my bday and am going to try it out tonight with scones and brownies, man I LOVE eating whatever I want right now!!!
  • Options

Haha JusT, no she's no like that all the time..........there is a break between 10pm and 6.30am!!! image Its the younger one thats done her arm. DVD, that is getting seriously raved about around here is 30 Day Shred, but quite frankly I don't see what the raving is about!! Its soooooooo hard I got told, You should give It a go.......etc etc.........Well levels 1 and 2 done without too much effort.

ATM - I do see a glimpse of that occassionally when she wants something....she can be soooooo lovley and charming!!!

Its snowing nowimage

• Options
    Morning all. Just thought you'd be amused to know that the Paris marathon features in Debrett's Guide to the Social Season.

http://www.debretts.com/social-season/paris-marathon.aspx

I particularly like the description 'There can be few lovelier cities in which to start your spring keep-fit campaign' image

I'm off to buy a hat and long gloves image
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I slipped on the stairs in my socks last night, fell and walloped my coccyx so hard it made me cry! Extremely painful this morning....help!!
  • Options

Hi Jus T

Stick with the foam roller, good ITB stretches will assist with breaking down adhesionson the ITB and stretching the muscles theITB is attached too.

Enjoy Run For The Kids if you make it but don't push hard, keep your eye on Paris, I'm also doing RFTKs.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jus T wrote (see)
    Tricky - it's likely I'll send Mr T your way...

What about the rest of the A-Team? I pity the fool who's not going to Paris.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - loved the video! Just blubbed my way through it!

One thing that really struck me was the number of people finishing! The diversity of times was also interesting, in that some folks were coming through with faster chip times but slower gun times. Is that because you decided to start with your buddies, or because the run went better than expected?

My friend from work was telling me he'd read of Paris that people just stand and pee in the pens at the start due to the crowds. Is it really that bad? Is there an option to sneak into the pen at the last minute as it looks like a long wait before take off!

Pasta Papas - do they just do pasta? My group has now dropped from 4 to 3 and one of the ladies is gluten free so we need somewhere that she can get an alternative.

I'm not tapering well! I missed my last long run (Saturday) as I had a killer sore throat. I ran 5.5 miles and by the time I got to needing a third pee stop decided just to cut my losses. I've not run since as I felt terrible at the start of the week. Went to the GP yesterday as I'd completely lost my voice so am on my 2nd day off now. Still not feeling great by my voice is back, albeit a little bit croaky. She's said it's not on my chest and there's no fever, very localised in the throat so just a virus that will have to run it's course.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Clag - Yes, peeing in the pens has been known to take place! image

Also give TD a shout over the gluten free issue. I know he is gluten intolerant and think he tends to bring his own gluten free pasta to eat. He might be able to help out your friend.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Emmy and RR.... there may be a course change for this weekend's TP100 ultra due to the weather and flooding of the Thames. Before heading out to meet, watch or pace please check the Centurion web site for the latest info on the course

I feel relaxed about it, whatever happens.

I have to pull out of this weekend. I've been ordered to stay at home and meet with the inlaws. I'd much prefer to run image

kaz1 wrote (see)

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE SIGNED.......PHEW!! image  Only question asked "Well are you fit enough??" My reply "who knows!!"

Junior has saw two doctors today......Only because I was there this afternoon......Doc isn't convinced it is sprained, but wants to wait 48hours before xrays.........in the hope that things improve but in docs own words "This seems a lot like the foot??"image Time will tell..........

Here's hoping Junior is OK. Well done on the medical certificate!

Dark Vader wrote (see) 

I have a busy life and I just don't the time to train as much as I should...  so, I do what I can do and just accept that I'll never be very quick.  This is good though.  I'm happy just to be able to do this and meet such interesting people.  

Above all, look up, look around and see the beautiful countryside...  talk to anyone who will listen...  share a joke with runners about the run and visualise getting to the end in one piece.

You are a complete inspiration to me and I have a lot of the similar values. If I can have a natter, have fun and enjoy where I'm running - i'll be a happy bunny. Time is not as important as the journey along the way.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Am delighted to say that Weedy is joining us for our little jaunt across Europe this summer, In The Long Run #ITLR2013. Gonna' be a blast imageimage

Whoop whoop!! image

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Clag - Yes, peeing in the pens has been known to take place! image

I'm fully intending on baring my ass to a bunch of frenchiesimage

5 miler today. IT Band only started hurting at mile 4. I'm stretching like a mad woman and keeping everything crossed for this weekend's LSR.

• Options

Oh sorry to hear you poorly people -  I hope you all get well soon 

EE, blisters are not nice. I use a tonne of vaseline every run, so don't get them - touch wood!! 

it's glorious here today, going to hit 18 later, so will save my 5k till then and might try out my new top....image

I like the photo of speeding up at 40K's - that sounds about right..!

Still not on the ASO, and not heard back from Paris....image

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    My main concern was someone wearing on my feet! The way St told it there was no room to move! I don't want wet feet before I start!!!
  • Options
    I picked up my first blister of the campaign at Reading in the rain. Knocked the head off and not been able to get the raw skin to heal over. Right up the back of the heal. Youch!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Clag wrote (see)
    My main concern was someone wearing on my feet! The way St told it there was no room to move! I don't want wet feet before I start!!!

It's not that bad. The pens are busy, but those in peeing mode do tend to shuffle off to the side.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Clag - they do have toilets in the pens but as it gets nearer to gun time the queues for these can become quite big. I didn't see anyone peeing in the pens but within 800m of the start people were nipping into the trees and this continued throughout.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Malcs...    what to eat is a dliemma.  I've experimented with a wide variety of foods and yes, stopping at McD's for a meal has been done many times.  That's all very well if I'm out on my own on a road run but many ultra events are off-road and there just aren't any shops.  So..  the dilemma then is to carry something, but keep the weight down.   My current experimentation is trying to get to an almost totally liquid diet and just using solids from the aid stations such as sausage rolls, savory eggs and other such things.   I rarely use gels but am happy to take one if I feel it is necessary.  I'm having some success with Perpetuem and will use that as my main fuelling for this weekend and I'll take some Muller Rice which can be sent ahead to the aid stations as a treat later on.  I like jelly beans too.

Fantastic. I could certainly do the eating part but the running bit is out of my league. One other question - on a 100 miler how do you deal with chafing? Surely everything must rub. Do you carry a stock of vas or is that an essential part of the aid stations? image

Also, I assume you carry a head torch if you're going through the night? I'd imagine that with the weather like it is at the moment it would get quite nippy too so do you have to carry several layers with you?

Quite an adventure. Really wish you the best of luck!

• Options
    YM - sorry to hear, painful injury. Take it easy.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

RR, that is a kill. +1 for the hat and long gloves. * packs fish fork, grape scissors and embroidered

handkerchief..* Clagg, as Debrett's would( not ) say..Do the 'toddler' thing. When you shut your eyes, you are invisible. If you've got to go, you've got to go. Maybe not on the Champs, eh? There's a TV camera in that helicopter...image

Malcs, on past form, DV will be posting on this thread throughout the marathon..

Good point about blisters, though. If it does turn out to be really hot, watch out for the fire brigade and their hoses at about 28k.It's well-meant but you might not want to get your shoes wet.