Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DLR - watching Masterchef whilst reading your tale. PMSL

what would you call the dish?
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Goodness gracious burning balls and bums of fire!  looks like a good day on the forum.

• Options
    Red hot balls of fire
  • Options
  • Options

I think you'll all find that this is a classic case of Chilli-Willy image

What flavour was the yoghurt DLR? I want to make sure I have ALL the details in place whilst visualising that little mishap.  Was this the occasion when you first gifted the world with your formulation of the 'Bonsai Penis Syndrome'?

Jus T - yeah missus, I got me some nuts! Just can't eat Snickers bars as they are not gluten free. But no one can question mi'nuts!!

Clag - forum messaging is very broken as I would have sent this direct. This is the Pasta Papa's menu. It's pretty much pasta or pizza with the odd bit of salad. Pretty limited fare and IMO as a very gluten intolerant person, this place would be a no-go if not bringing your own pasta.

So I'll assume, unless you specifically say otherwise, that your little group won't be joining us (but open for you to say otherwise of course).

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Just read the veet reviews - absolutely hilarious. Made my evening! image
  • Options

Orbutt - I find it impossible to remember crossing the line last year - but you have provided the documentary evidence that I, and many others, did.

Brilliant video, an inspiration, many many thanks for your hard work. 

This year, at the back, I'm not bringing my ipod, hands will be slapped and the Eiffel Tower will not be missed.

Two weeks to Paris. PARIS!!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I must be in my Paris Marathon Mentaility - watched a few marathon movies, Orbutt's video, Midnight in Paris, An american in Paris and listening to Edith Piaf. 

Nice run today, some speedwork tomorrow if weather holds.

• Options

I'm thinking about carrying a camera, has anyone done it before? I generally hate running with stuff, but maybe that'll be offset by the awesomeness of having photos of the run...

Dannirr - I'm in the same mode, thinking about Parisian books to read on the flight over...

• Options
    Well, looks like my run this weekend might be hardcore. The weather is looking cold with 'feels like' temperatures between -3 and -5. Looks like the predicted sleet and rain may hold off. It's going to be a tough one I think mentally, especially the overnight stage.
  • Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    TD - thanks for the menu. You're right. We'll need to go elsewhere. Hopefully I'll manage to stumble upon you all elsewhere image
  • Options

I won't have my Spot tracker with me, but live updates as I go through each of the aid stations can be found here...:

http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2013-tp100/

I am no.  128, the list doesn't seem to be in any particular order...  

I'll probably text ATM with comments during the run too...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Heavy snow here - SNOW!!! Brrrrrrrrrr I had to break out a ladder this morning to clear the snow from my Sky dish.

This time last year we were having a bit of a heat wave and tapir madness was all about melting in Paris.

Jus T - I carry my phone with me to keep in touch with Mrs O, should the need arise. I run with a hydration belt which has a phone sized pocket, though.

Clag - there's always the early morning gathering at the Arc. I'm hoping to make it this year, as I'm within walking distance. 8am (best be early) at the front right hand 'leg' when viewed with your back to the Champs Elysee

DV - keep warm mate
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to get seriously peed off with this weather now. Managed to get out for 5 last night but lots of snow in the Black Country this morning. And have Ironbridge Half on Sunday. Should be fun image

• Options

Good luck to everybody running in the UK this weekend. I heard the weather forecast. Whilst we on the near continent benefit from sunshine (it's been a while!) you lot are going to get a good dumping of snow. Make sure you don't get blisters whilst running with tennis rackets tied to your trainers.

Clag - Arc de Triomphe 8am. See you there. ATM - does your camera still have the big wooden tripod with the blanket over the eyeviewer and the concertina lenses. Could be a bit cumbersome all the way round the city?

DLR - did you get scarring from your Chilli Willy experience?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Morning all.  My arse still hurts a lot.  Just off to my GP to pick up my medical certificate - he wants to see me as I've not been in since he signed the last one... image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Morning all.  My arse still hurts a lot.  Just off to my GP to pick up my medical certificate - he wants to see me as I've not been in since he signed the last one... image

Don't tell him about your arse then!

TD - Significant scarring - all mental.

• Options

Morning all,

Sorry to hear about you running in snow.   If it makes you feel any better, I had my first run in shorts yesterday, and this is in Paris!  It's not warm, but it's no longer freezing either.   We'll see how that lasts.

DV - do you normally run with a phone?  Is that common these days?   My first maraton was back in 2000, and I ran with a guy who ran with his phone.   Cell phones weren't so much a part of our lives back then, so people really thought it was crazy.   He answered it a few times during the race, "Yeah, I cant talk right now, I'm running a marthon.   ....  Yes, right now.  ..  Yes, running a marathon.  ...  Ok bye."   Other runners shot him disapproving looks.   I'm imagining it'd be more commonplace today, no?

JusT - My wife is bringing a camera.   We've got one of those water/shock-proof Olympus ones which are easy to carry and take some good abuse. 

• Options

Coniston 14 has been cancelled. I did it 2 years ago and we had a mini heat wave. The kids were playing in the lake in the afternoon. My wife was going to do it this year but obviously, this is is not going ahead.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, chums.

It is freezing, here. Really freezing. I think  I'll do my run on, yes, a treadmill..image The wind is unbearable.

The Mobiles' List is coming on nicely. anyone else who wants to add their number, please send it to me. We're lucky enough to have some locals, some French-speakers, some people -who- like- a- good -fight- in- a-hop..All very useful if anyone going into meltdown at the Expo.

Yes, please, to supporters with cameras. It good, afterwards, to have some group photos. *TD, you know I never worked out how to use that abacus you sent me. I don't have a camera. *

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm now a proud owner of a medical certificate image

I didn't tell him about my arse.  Which hurt too much after running 250 metres to the GP surgery to even contemplate my "tune up race".  So it's a rest day for me I think.

BUT...a lump I have been worrying about for a little while is nothing to worry about apparently.  Cake all round I reckon...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    YM - yay on the lump. image Boo on the ar5e. image
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

ATM - You have my number, just stick it on the list.

The snow isn't bothering me, but that bloody icy wind can get tae f...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

No snow here...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Eggy, the snow is right behind the icy wind..It's just arrived here. I am having a rest day.Err, that makes many, many rest days...

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Plenty of snow in the North West.

Not done much this week. Still feeling the knee. Did a bit on the bike and rowing machine at the gym. Just fingers crossed for the marathon and the knee holds up. If not it will be a long way round.

When I get back I will be doing my utmost to get it sorted.

I have medical certificate and convocation.

I may start packing soon........

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find that a depression descends a few days after a race. For example, after the Liv half on sunday I have felt a little low. of course, we have Paris to look forward to but I have no races planned afterwards. So a severe depression warning is in place. it could be just the god foresaken weather we are enjoying at the moment. You think you are into March. you have survived the summer and it gives us 5 inches (of snow).

Anyway, may do Shrewsbury Half or Full Marathon in June and it looks like Dublin Marathon in October.

• Options

PC - you're right. Good job i'm not in charge of navigation. At least I hope I'm not in charge of navigation.

Yer maj - def calls for cake.

James - think it's natural when there's such a build up to such a high that you feel a bit of a comedown. For me, it's like getting back home after a holiday. Best idea is to have something else lined up to look forward to.