Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

The Midnight Sun marathon in Tromso is a stunning event. I really regret the time I was out there I was spectating, not running. The middle of nowhere Norway ain't cheap though.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

From what I recall there's quite a bit of interest in Berlin next year - the 40th running. I'm up for it.

Also fancy Chicago the following year (hopefully grouped with VLM)

• It certainly ain't cheap Eggy, I have priced it before.image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Nothing in Norway is cheap.  Not even the hookers it seems.  Last time we were in Oslo, we were walking down a busy street back to our hotel.  I let go of a very drunk Mr Maj's hand for a mere moment to circumnavigate a crowd of people and in that time a local Lady managed to get hold of him and make him an offer.  The poor wee lamb was so horrified at the  number of Kroner that he would have to fork out that I had to take him back to the hotel for a lie down....

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

oh yeah...and the start for the NY marathon is supposed to be very unpleasant if you're on the bottom of the bridge.  I'd still like to do it though...

Urban Legend RadSal. Everyone is standing around for HOURS in the freezing cold before they get to run on the Verrazano Bridge. No reason at all to take a pee 5 mins into the race. Plus Americans are super-sensitive about getting their bits out in public; they just don't.

All I can say is that this race is so massively over-hyped and most people when they think of New York, they actually mean Manhattan, and then they mean from Central Park down into Lower Manhattan. And the race simply doesn't go anywhere near, apart from the last 3kms when it comes down from the north and tucks into Central park for the finish. And then you get the long walk and interminable waiting to get your clothes back (and in my case, something I could eat that didn't have gluten in). Loved NY, simply hated that race.

More importantly, COME ON Alastair and Johnny BROWNLEE. Give it some boys!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Take him back for a lie down!!

In Paris I wandered off into what would appear to be some sort of red light district not far from the Sacre Coeur. Being a single male walking thorugh the area I was targeted for many a sales pitch, including for live sex shows. It's fair to say I'm sure as hell not paying to watch someone else get some when I'm not getting any.

• Yay Brownlees! But according to Matthew Pinsent on twitter 'Jonny horizontal, vomming under the stands. Ali "he's fine. The end of any tri is carnage"'. image
  • Back from Tri watching.  Great fun (for me...the competitors looked mothered)!  ended up watching the big screen with a few thousand others.  Was brilliant when the brownlees came in but quite a boo for the penalty on one of them (I can never remember which is which).  HUGE cheers at the end!  Tris are carnage!  Never done one and don't intend to especially after the tales I hear.  The swim is a full on fight (bless a male friend though that it wouldn't be like that in a female race), bike is tactical madness and the 10km is a battle to the finish.  Their skill on the 4th discipline (transition) was amazing.

Hmm....Berlin...when do entries for next year open?  As for NY, I'd still like to do it and great to hear the bridge is an urban legend.  Agree with TD about it not being in manhattan though.  I don't mind checking out the burbs.image

• RS - If I remember correctly they open in October. First come first served basis with the prices increasing in the same way as Paris. I'll be registering for Paris and Berlin at the same time.image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Chris Hoy:  What a boy image

• Hello.

Just found this thread.  Considering running Paris marathon next year but have a few questions:

1. When does the ballot open?
    2. When are the ballot results?
    3. Can I get fancy dress there or should I take my own?
    4. How far is this marathon?

Thanks

Robert

• Hello Robert

I haven't run this one either so can't help you with questions 1 - 3.

However, the answer to question 4 depends where you are coming from.

From Leeds it is 488.1 miles. Hope this helps.

Simon
  • Hello Robert,

First of all, you need to ask mummy or daddy if you are allowed out to play.  If they say yes, then pack your best plimsolls and make sure you take a packed lunch of an apple, egg sandwich and a carton of orange juice. 

Enjoy the marathon.  Its just like school sports day.

Dr DV

• Dear Robert. The route of the course is very famous. It starts at the top of the Champs Elysees and goes down to the Place de la Concorde, before returning back up to the top of that most famous of boulevards, thereby completing the standard 4.22km distance of any marathon race.

To enter the race, you simply need to pay the 271 euro entrance fee by visiting the following link www.trickygetsrich.fr/mustbeafraud.htm

Good luck and Bon chance as they say in France.
  • Dear Robert,

Has anyone told you yet that you have to run it in French?

Rongeur Courant

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Robert

I think that I am as confused as you are.

In England our Marathons are 26.2 miles but in France they seem to run 42.2 kilometers. That seems a lot longer image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

How about the Big Five Marathon in South Africa?  Anyone else interested?

• Dannirr - is that where you get chased by a Lion, an elephant, a rhino etc....? Sounds a bit scary. Although an ultra-running pal from SA who lived in Namibia said that he regularly saw lions who in general, would only be bothered if you were slow, so he used the opportunity to insert some interval training into his runs.

Going to SA sounds way better than the over-hyped NYC race.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking Geneva next year.....

• The  Big Five looks interesting.....mmmmmmmm.......Think I need a new well paid job!!!! Or to win the lotto.

6.5 miles easy this morning. I have decided to go back to HR training and have realised I am not pushing myself enough??? I have been running to recommended pace but over  the last few days found out that my HR's during this is well on the low side even for easy run pace. Today I kept my HR at just below 70% WHR(except from on the hills) and came in at a whole 30 seconds per mile faster, on average???? Also I find that HR doesn't freak me out nearly as much as telling me to run 7.30mm for 6 milesimage Just shows its all in the mind!!!! Advice will be most appreciated???

• OO does that mean the rhubarb might be moving again?

• Infiniti amount of rhubarb Neil. If you can send me any of your prolific rhubarb seeds in the post OO, that will be gratefully received.

My leg swelled up again after Sunday's run, so am obviously having to slow down my ramp up back to fitness. Haven't run since then. Might get out for a bike ride tonight.

• Did it swell in the same place TD? Bit weird that it went down and then came back. Still, sounds like you're managing to keep yourself busy with swimming and biking.

I did the 9k loop on my own yesterday, seemed to have a constant headwind but just snuck inside 38 minutes. Next run will be Friday - going to join the Beat Route Runners for an evening race (10k) in Duisberg. I think I'll try switching from Smart to 1 second data recording for the race: was a bit surprised that I had 800m less than you over 20k, and the impact that could have on the lap pace which the Garmin displays.

• Hello newbie Robert!  You only have to remember one thing to run Paris.  Tape your tits.

TD - I saw your clone on the tube!!!!  Was VERY strange and unnerving.

I've got three days off Olympic madness and I need it.  The adreneline highs and constant heart in mouth action is exhausting.  I'd drop over if I had to actually do any of the sports!  Weightlifting was mental.  They got up to 260kgs on the clean and jerk (that's OVER 4 of me!!!).  Very big iranian support in the crowd as they picked up the gold and silver.  The bar was bending all over the place and the thump when they drop the weights is super.  Had one cover my eyes, oh that's wrong moment when a lifter lost control with the bar above their head and it came down on the back of his neck.  Was awful!  It was like him being dropped on his neck but MORE as the weight was almost 200kgs. image He walked off but was taken for x-rays.

As for running...think I've picked up something.  Legs feel like lead and have absolutely no energy. I might get out later... image

• RS: I must have missed it but how are you managing to get to see so many things?

Taekwondo starts today but it's pretty difficult to work out when it will be on BBC1/ 2/ HD (the only channels I get: no red button image )

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hello Robert.  Are you a girl?  If so then please make sure your tit tape matches your dinky little outfit.

My tempo run this morning was jolly hard work.  That naughty Tricky is wearing me out....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Dear Robert.  Are you a girl?  If so then please make sure your tit tape matches your dinky little outfit.

My tempo run this morning was jolly hard work.  That naughty Tricky is wearing me out...

• NB - Lots of luck, obsessive website checking and being a bum! Got a couple in the first round but the rest were checking the website lots, friend with separate address/login and being on masses of email subscriptions.  Have also been to the free events where possible, road & time trial cycling and triathlon.  Missed out on the women's marathon though as had a mad cycle in pouring rain image Heading down to watch the men on sunday image

You'll probably have to go online for the taekwondo.  The actual BBC TV coverage of events where GB isn't strong have been pretty bad.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - I don't know if you have Sky but all of the olympic feeds are available in HD around channel 450. There are 24 channels which are the same ones as on the Red button - but can be paused and rewound.

Neil, I'm not sure if you can access the BBC online video channels in Belgium but you may be able to catch Live coverage here.