Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Fast as I can in this wind, plenty of steps, stairs and hills too!!!

Ok I am just being a big softie.........weather set to improve on Tuesday and wondering about postponing to then Instead??

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Quick update from DV. He's at the Start. He says the weather is truly terrible...image

• 15. Holy smoke.

Poor DV. Sounds like Biblical weather down there.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Weedy - me and swimming don't mix. I could save my life if I fell in but that's about as far as it goes.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good luck DV. I really hope that the weather improves for you.

Today it's snowing. In the hour it takes for me to have brekkie and get kitted up over 2cm has fallen image time to HTFU and get out there.

RS - get well soon!

Good luck to everyone running this weekend! Lets keep it steady and no silly last minute accidents (I'm looking at myself more than yer_maj!)
  • Good luck DV - where is the race?  The weather in UK looks really bad.

We've had a lovely sunny morning, didn't take the op to get out for my short 3k, so will get out later and it's due to rain, oh well.

20k tomorrow, but I think that's too much, so might get it down to 15k.  Am very tired.

Trying to not do too much ha ha, as I know I'm bound to hurt something, way too close now.

enjoy your runs and races everyone - keep warm...!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Orbutt - that sounds like me. I've done a sprint tri but don't let it fool you! I was overtaken by children!

I like to call my swimming 'relaxed'. I can do breast stroke but anything involving my head underwater is a no no.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DV is running from Richmond in London to Oxford.  Snow let up for a little while but it's still going and supposed to get worse overnight.

Now...decision I kinda need some sensible input into.  I have a 20 miler planned for tomorrow but reasons not to 1) forecast is for 0 degrees and snow, even until lunchtime 2) I have a cold 3) it's 15 days to Paris and I did do 18-19ish last sunday.  Reasons to give it a go 1) it's 15 days to Paris and I have only got up to 18-19ish!!

Other options 1) sit on the turbo/bike for 3-4 hrs 2) go for a shorter distance 15 miles ish.

Discuss...

• Richmond to Oxford is a long way!!  Used to live in Richmond - fond memories.

Just been out, short 3k turned into 4.5k, and legs are okay.  Overcast but high teens, so sweating buckets.....image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    RS - the route has been changed due to flooding. It's now to cookham and then three loops from wraysbury/Windsor. It's all around my old stomping ground image

I'm no expert about runs but I would do 15 miles and then 10 next weekend. Don't push it. It's better to be undertrained than over.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    RS - skip the 20 and do 14 ish. It's too close and this time around, I don't think you've got enough miles in your legs to allow for a speedy recovery. You do have enough for a good time in Paris though, so why risk it?
  • hi Radar - i'd follow the others advice - don't do a big one, i can't see the value of it this close. Go and run for 2 and a half hours regardless of the distance. You've a good 18/19 in the bank. Doing a long run like that will only hamper you on marathon day.  

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

cheers guys...but based on recovery from last week 20 miles is okay for me for tomorrow.  With late start to training I had a plan early on for a 2 week taper and should be fine for my recovery.  It's the other factors that are making me waiver on doing it: cold (mine and the weather).

So the consensus is to still run but go for a shorter distance...that still has the double cold factor...hmm...

• Are you freaking insane? It's 0 deg and snowing?!? That'd be it for me right there!

But seriously, (im no good at converting in my head) but I'm really hoping we shouldn't NEED to be doing anything like 20miles this weekend. My plan has me for 18kms, but I'm just doing 15kms. I'll happily take this taper-crazy and remember that Paris is my goal, Paris is the reason I run right now, and I won't let anything get in my way of getting there.

Has anyone got a number for Mother Nature? Can someone put a call in about this weather? I really hope it picks up, and quickly!!

I don't know how DV is doing this run at all, let alone in this weather?!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    DV is fine..well, apart from being crazy..He s on target and feeling good. Says fast group disappeared off into the distance. Sounds very positive.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Just back from 16 miles.  Harder work than usual due to half of me being in the wrong place but nothing fell off....

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Jus T wrote (see)
    Are you freaking insane? It's 0 deg and snowing?!? That'd be it for me right there!

But seriously, (im no good at converting in my head) but I'm really hoping we shouldn't NEED to be doing anything like 20miles this weekend. My plan has me for 18kms, but I'm just doing 15kms. I'll happily take this taper-crazy and remember that Paris is my goal, Paris is the reason I run right now, and I won't let anything get in my way of getting there.

hee hee hee, yeah a little insaneimage Your plan is right on.  It's me that's the freak planning a 20 miler (32kms) because of late start to training.

• Well RS you are not the only freak........another NUTTER here........but we have snow, 24mph and its sooooooooooo cold........

Does running hills with a 15kg post bag count as intervals......

4hour round done in 2 hours today!!!image

• Please someone do a sun dance. Hastings half tomorrow - hills, wind and snow.....gawd!

• Radar Sal wrote (see)
    I have a cold image

TD - what's the website for the long run?

I have a raging sore throat RS but  strangely, I don't feel ill (yet!). Website will be www.inthelongrun.org when our webmeister and publicty team get it all up and running. I have every confidence that even as we speak, our webmeister is not going out for a long run in the miserable Scottish weather and is beasting away his keyboard kicking ass with Wordpress as we speak.

How's it going Eggy? image   .... love that man!

• Just run a gentle 15.... Did a lot of the route of the 4 Villages half. Lovely weather if a bit bracing
  • RS - similar dilemma here. I have a cold, and a sore heel, and tomorrow's forecast is for lots more snow and high wind. Do I run in the Inverurie half or do I give it a miss? I am inclined to do the latter, but I know I will then feel guilty and worry about lost fitness.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Well I've just done a bit of cross training shovelling 5" of snow. Ridiculous. It's the most snow I've seen since we moved here 11 years ago.

Roads are clear(ish) but pathways are still full of snow.

Temperature is 2 degrees so I don't think it will stay around too long but I'm not risking running in it - too much room for disaster.

More snow forecast but hopefully it will fall on the wet stuff and won't stick.
  • Here you go Coadybum, one sun dance coming right up...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews22/a%20Butch%20Cassidy%20and%20the%20Sundance%20Kid%20Newman%20Redford/n%20Butch%20Cassidy%20and%20the%20Sundance%20Kid%20Newman%20Redford%20BUTCH_CASSIDY-0(7).jpg

RS - could you do a back-to-back? Maybe 10 today, 10 tomorrow? Depends how bad the cold is as well.

Simon - I'd be inclined to ditch it. I'm no expert, but you've got nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yeah, it's the cold sick factor...I like the idea of splitting it.

Simon - you're properly trained.  I'd miss it out.  What weedy said.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Simon - No.  No need.  Stay at home, eat chocolate.

• stay home, keep warm, eat chocolate and watch Rocky films

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Stay home, keep warm, eat chocolate, watch Rocky films, do your packing list...

• Stay home, keep warm, eat chocolate, watch Rocky films, do your packing list, cut your toenails...