Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

ATM - I dont know, I'm an iPhone person. Sorry image

RS - I think it's ok to wear last year's shirt - as long as you are absolutely confident you'll finish. We are, so let's see it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I have more friends volunteering than running today. They've all got full winter layers on and trying to keep the guys warm. I saw a comment earlier that at one checkpoint they couldn't open the gas tank to start getting a cuppa going as the valve had frozen shut!

It looks like all of the runners are well prepared though in proper clothes as well as changes of clothes at regular intervals.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RS - I'd say its fine. I've seen plenty of runners at events with finishers or event shirts from previous years.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Just been out for a 20k at MP image . I felt a bit guilt as there is no snow here, nor gale force winds, neither plagues of locusts. I feel sorry for you lot living nearer to the north pole. Paris is going to be cloudy with showers next week but too early to have an idea for the 7th although spring should arrive before September.
  • I was really loking forward to seeing the live results at  theTP100 website.  Looks like the weather is causing issues.  Good to hear DV is doing well and updating people by other means.

Carl, weather here in Paris is very nice at the moment, and the only forcast for the 7th I've seen says high of 10 and low of 1.   Sounds comfy to me if that holds true.  

• Can anyone fix the font size?  I'd like to see my spelling errors BEFORE I hit send.  image

• RS - 100% fine to wear last year's top. For Berlin 1 I wore my Amsterdam top. For Berlin 2 I wore the Berlin top from the year before. (I have no pictures as the Vaseline made me look like I was lactating!) You'll look great!
  • 14 mile run today , and after weeks of long slow runs it felt good to up the pace for a long run , weather was so bad , wind cutting thru me but got the 14 mile in under 1:59 .prob 6 mins quicker than I thought I would do it in , must've been my choice of music -- fifties stuff

I always need music when I'm running as well ,, even for a 5km
  • Scott - good work, great timing.

I used to be the same but stopped using my ipod at Parkrun and didn't really miss it. The Half was fine - chatted with others, no spectators really - but not sure if will abandon for Paris...

Sometimes, when you're really down in it, a song can put you back on track, but reduces the sociability... So, when I'm training on my own as usual, it's invaluable.
  • Ps . ATM - love running to music. Always cool to compare playlists.

5/10k for me - rock: Deftones, Metallica, propulsive...

Half - my selection of relatively fast-paced rock, often Jane's Addiction, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, you get the idea.

Marathon - more chilled vibes, feel good music such as U2, Interpol, The National, Primal Scream.

Eh. Each to his/her own!
  • Silly O'clock (groan)
  • Morning. I haven't read back but I will do later.

It wasn't my day I'm afraid. The conditions and the mud didnt suit me and I slipped at about 15 miles and twisted my ankle. The camber of the terrain meant that every step I had a sharp pain on the outside of the right ankle.

I struggled on to the 22 mile station and stopped for about 15 minutes to have a coffee, some cake and text a few people. I decided to keep going to 28 miles. The next couple of miles were on grass and I was powering along and caught up with three people who were way ahead of me.

However my burst of excitement was shattered about half a mile later when we hit the mud again.

Ankle deep, no traction, impossible to walk on without holding on to a fence or trees. I slipped loads more times.

Because of the re-routing of the course this section would need to be done three times. It was bad enough in the daylight and with a freezing night ahead I just felt it was too risky.

I decided to withdraw at 28 miles rather than risk it. The race wasn't so important to me to risk injury. Interestingly I then found out that lots of people had already withdrawn at the same stage.

This morning I'm fine. My ankle, Achilles and right quads are a little sore but nothing too bad or worrying. No other aches or stiffness. I will be fine and it was the right decision.

No worries. These things happen. It just didnt go my way. There will be others...

It will be interesting to find out today how people coped with the overnight stage. The conditions were awful, weather dire and it wasn't much fun to be honest.
  • Porridge O'clock.....off out for 18k before it rains.....

Don't we just love it..? image

• ooh well done DV, mad, but well done.  Sounds like you did the best thing, and perhaps they should have cancelled it?

Glad you are home and keep warm.

• Good to hear you're in one piece DV - sounds like a nightmare. Can't see the results, but I gather some people have finished, much slower than last year, and the guy who was second tweeted that he'd run about 107 miles and 'words cannot describe what I've just been through' image .

Bagelling up this morning, for a bit of variety. I don't wear my iPod during the race, but I do on long runs. I tend to listen to podcasts or books though, rather than music - today I'll have Bradley Wiggins in my ear.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Martin Bacon won in 18h10m! The equivalent of 4 x sub 4h30 marathons in the mud!

Silly o'clock! In 2 weeks time at 7am English time we'll be under the Arc. " 7am!" I hear Kaz cry," a lay in! ". image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi DV - a wise choice. I've been struggling to see results as the live site is down again. I've not heard how the restof my friends have got on. They were struggling a little towards midnight.

Well done on making a wise decision.

Overnight we've had a fresh 2 inches of snow. Hubby has decided not to go mountain biking and will 'join me' instead. Lets see if he survivesimage
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Smart move, DV. You live to run another day...An injury would've affected your other plans.Definitely not worth it.  'Marvellous achievement, those that finished. And a hard day's/night's work for the volunteers.

No snow, here, but a Siberian wind. 'Off to a charity 6k, in my Jimmy bunnet, down at the seaside.. *Poor folk stuck on Arran ,without power for 3 days.* I think I'm taking 'tapering' to new levels .

• RR Is that 'My Time'?

DV - good your ok fella - wise decision.

I've tried running to music twice.  Didn't like it either time - made me feel a bit cut off from what's going on around me, which takes away some of the pleasure of running.  At the gym I always have music for cardio machines and it'll always be Orbital, Fat Boy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Audio Bullys, FSOL or similar.  Away from the gym I'll still listen to that sort of thing but will listen to ska, Jam, motown as much - just isn't 'right' for the gym.

• A massive 'thumbs up' for having good kit. I was totally prepared for the conditions and didn't have any problems with kit choice. If you buy one thing today, go and buy Dry Max trail socks. I wore these during the torrential rain of the London to Brighton and I wore them yesterday. They are superb. Best socks I've ever had. Despite the conditions, my feet were fine.

I've tried lots of different types of socks, but these are right up there at the top. They keep the foot dry and breathing. When you get wet, they seem to be able to remove the moisture quickly.

I can't praise them enough. Go buy some.
  • DV - Well done, and glad your ok. Sensible decision. image

PC91 - HAHA!!!

I had to cut my run very short. I got to 10 miles and even with thermal tights, base layers, hat, gloves, snood, jacket I was still frozen. My eyes were watering so much that I could hardly see. I still haven't defrosted and my ears are still ringing from the wind which was soooo bad in places  I could hardly stand.

i will try again on Tuesday......

• DV - amazing amazing work, I'm sure you got much further through than many others. I'm sure you know it, but I think you did the smart thing retiring. No need to risk injuring yourself more dramatically.

Everyone else, great work with your runs! Especially in that horrid weather.

I did the 15km run for the kids today in 76mins (plus a loo stop, but I'm not cou.ting that!!), for all those playing at home it was a sunny 23c when we finished, and my knee is still in one piece! Wahoo! It's certainly not 100%, but not the stabbing of last weekend. I got a massage yesterday and he did cupping on my itb and a ligament behind my knee, that's a seriously strange feeling! Still a little way to go for 100%, but next stop PARIS!

Now, who do we need to speak to for an improvement in weather?
  • P.s. did anyone see Lewis Hamilton drive into his old team's pits?? Epic fail!
  • 165 started..  and by 5am this morning about 70+ had withdrawn...     that's a very high drop-out rate and indicative of the conditions...

• Jus T - poor Lewis, reading that online made me smile.

Paris Marathon weather - Accuweather are calling it 8 degrees C, realfeel 5 degrees C, 0 degrees C at night on April 7th. Let's hope it stays that way... As I remember, standing around in the pen waiting (and waiting) to be allowed to start last year, it was minus 2 degrees C. Probably similar this year then.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DV - smart move, that man.

The snow is freezing now, yet a few miles away they haven't had much. I may have to find somewhere nearby that I can drive to just to keep my legs ticking over during the week.
  • Iain - eek! My accuweather has a recommendation of suitability for different activities, and the one for marathon day says "A poor time for outdoor fitness: it will be colder than you'd like" sounds like it knows me!

I think a trip to the op shop for a throw away jumper to start the run in!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DV - well done for getting to 28 miles! on a twisted ankle too!!!  Are you still doing your run to Paris and back? with an itty bitty marathon in the middle.

Kaz - Tuesday might be too close to the 7th...but I know better than to try to disuade you.

as for me...decision time is coming.  It's freezing (actually freezing, below 0) outside and my cold is still in action.  What to do?

and an it'd only happen to a runner event: Ordered a big bulk buy of gels on the internet.  Got worried that they wouldn't turn up in time.  Ordered some more on Friday, bulk buy turned up yesterday.  Anyone want some sis go gels?

I'm still on the fence about wearing my 2012 Paris finisher t-shirt for this year...if I don't finish it'd be shameful but wearing it might give me another reason to keep going. image

• DV - sensible decision, it must have been horrendous.  Your mud pics look like our Eco Trail last week, 31.5k of gloopy mud and ice, slithering all over the place and holding onto branches to get up hills.  At least we did it in daylight, so it was fun if challenging.  Still waiting to hear from a mate who was supposed to be doing the Comes with Nuts ultra yesterday, so many people couldn't even get to the start line.  Hardcore ...

It is so cold in the Paris suburbs this morning that my glasses steamed up when I walked into the baker's shop for my baguette ....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ok....so it's -5, a Siberian wind and still snowing out there. Awful conditions to run in. Hubby got to 100m from the door and turned around and said: too cold.

I did 5 miles but similar to Kaz - was frozen. I had on 3 layers of underarmour, a wind jacket, buff, thermal hat and when they wind was on you - it felt like I was wearing a bikini!

RS- what's all of this nonsense about 'not finishing'. Get that thought of your head missy!

DV - you made the right choice. Thanks for the recommendation about the socks. I've just got some wool ones and love them in the freezing temperature!