Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Scott the walker wrote (see)
    Oh and I'm watching - man versus food - thinking " I could eat that easily "

Scott - I adore that show. Like Eggy, I'd have to avoid the super-spicy stuff but man, he does have the perfect job. If not health. Also, thanks for the encouragement - Paris is just going to be fun (I hope) for me this year!

• After reading the five pages that appeared overnight on the train this morning I can't remember what I wanted to say except TJB, wow you're fast! MM, hats off to your brother, the guys looked like they did it tough yesterday, I'm not sure anyone could call an IM a walk in the park, I'd be dead after just the swim!

I can't wait for a post race drink, I'm certain there'll be a significant amount of "love yous guys!"

I love food so much, at a friend's bday on the weekend I sat and demolished almost all of a pack of Doritos to myself, my friends thought they'd helped, but I know betterimage

Who said in 2 weeks we'll all be finished? Woo hoo to us! 9 days til I'm on my way to visit you all!

Peter - how'd you go yesterday? Get through unscathed?
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    I, Orbot. I'll be at the Arc at 7.35am if its not too cold.

Carl, I'm at Royal Elysees, right by the Arc. Arrive in Paris at 10.53 at GDN and heading straight to the expo. Get in the queue and hope to be clear of the expo by 2,3 o'clock. Mate if u wanna meet at expo email me on jimzagooner at aol dot com and we'll swap details. Theres a 5 euro pasta/rice party at expo. You can buy the ticket on ASO. Anyone doing that? It wouldn't take much to persuade me.

Jimbob, message emmy, she's arriving at GDN at that time.  Have never done a pasta/rice party at the expo.  It's too mad in those things for me.  I like to get my number and GET OUT.  Too many nerves flying around.

• Ooh, what time does the expo open on Friday? Thinking about going straight there when we get in first thing in the morning, and then going out for the day. Otherwise it'll be a late arvo thing i dare say?

Just checked accuweather again, it says 4-15c for Paris Marathon Sunday (lol, I may start calling it PMS!! ha ha hahahaha). I think all i can take from that is that the forecast is rubbish and may well change 100 times between now and then. It'll be what it'll be...

• Evening Alikm - that's an amazing coincidence. I've got a friend who did Paris last year and is doing Nice-Cannes this year. And GNR. Hehe. image I'll have to ask her if she's doing North Tyneside 10k on Sunday. If so, I'll see her there.

Emmy - I'll be knocking about at the Expo on Saturday afternoon. Possibly with Jimbob and The Lovely Ingrid if I track them down.

• Dannir: mmmm chilli
  • Hi Weedy image what a coincedence! Not sure your friend is doing NT10k as she is in London but she's thinking about Northumberland Coastal in summer. See you soon for a run like....
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

alkm - I'm in for the GNR this year.  Think there's a few of the paris clan doing it.

Weedy - RR and I should be there about 1:30-2ish (well, in the queue).

Jus T - I think it opens at 10am http://www.runningexpo.fr/us/index.html

Anyone else getting nervous because the Paris marathon emails are counting down to the opening of the expo rather than the marathon?!?!?  I know they do it but makes me panic that I've got the date wrong everytime.

• TJB (and anyone else) - the bag drop is a fair way down Avenue Foch from the AdT and the traffic and people by 8am mean it's busy.  I've read that bag drop off can be slow at that time but bag collection at any time can be horrendous.    My advice is to avoid using the bag drop off if you can - for you TJB just take advantage of the hotel being near and head straight to the Arc.

• Jus T wrote (see)

Just checked accuweather again, it says 4-15c for Paris Marathon Sunday (lol, I may start calling it PMS!! ha ha hahahaha). I think all i can take from that is that the forecast is rubbish and may well change 100 times between now and then. It'll be what it'll be...

Spot on Mrs T.  In previous years there's been no accuracy in the forecasts until about 5 days before and even then not 100%.  It'll be what it'll be - only thing to watch the eather for is if it impacts what you wear.

• Completed my official withdrawal from VLM for 2013 just now. Somehow it feels a sad moment but then again, I have something to look forward to in 2014. Fingers crossed i will have marathon training resilience back by then.

Right now, I'd just like to get my throat back. I have sufficient lurgy to make me not capable of exercising but not enough to lay me low and not have to work. Ah well. The sun's coming. Won't be long now. Another few days. We can do this.

• After reading the five pages that appeared overnight on the train this morning I can't remember what I wanted to say except TJB, wow you're fast! MM, hats off to your brother, the guys looked like they did it tough yesterday, I'm not sure anyone could call an IM a walk in the park, I'd be dead after just the swim!

I can't wait for a post race drink, I'm certain there'll be a significant amount of "love yous guys!"

I love food so much, at a friend's bday on the weekend I sat and demolished almost all of a pack of Doritos to myself, my friends thought they'd helped, but I know betterimage

Who said in 2 weeks we'll all be finished? Woo hoo to us! 9 days til I'm on my way to visit you all!

Peter - how'd you go yesterday? Get through unscathed?
  • TD - that's an excellent image! And you're right, VLM will be there to conquer next year. Hope you're back to fighting fit, virally speaking, soon.

I'm wondering whether to take my sunglasses...
  • Dannirr...  is it you that likes Crunchies..?   I bought a pack of 8 for you yesterday and will bring them to Paris...   if it's someone else, own up now...  before they get eaten.....!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    I, Orbot. I'll be at the Arc at 7.35am if its not too cold.

Carl, I'm at Royal Elysees, right by the Arc. Arrive in Paris at 10.53 at GDN and heading straight to the expo. Get in the queue and hope to be clear of the expo by 2,3 o'clock. Mate if u wanna meet at expo email me on jimzagooner at aol dot com and we'll swap details. Theres a 5 euro pasta/rice party at expo. You can buy the ticket on ASO. Anyone doing that? It wouldn't take much to persuade me.

You have a message on FB image I arrive at 10.05 so happy to wait around for an hour (read: drink coffee) and go with you guys.

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Evening Alikm - that's an amazing coincidence. I've got a friend who did Paris last year and is doing Nice-Cannes this year. And GNR. Hehe. image I'll have to ask her if she's doing North Tyneside 10k on Sunday. If so, I'll see her there.

Emmy - I'll be knocking about at the Expo on Saturday afternoon. Possibly with Jimbob and The Lovely Ingrid if I track them down.

Are you on the same train as Jimbob? I'll be Gare Du Nord... looking scaredimage I'll email you my number/email.

Dark Vader wrote (see)

Dannirr...  is it you that likes Crunchies..?   I bought a pack of 8 for you yesterday and will bring them to Paris...   if it's someone else, own up now...  before they get eaten.....!

It's also me... but it's safer to give them to Danirr as i'm only allowed Dark Chocolate at the moment.

TD - Sorry to hear about the deferral - at least you can do it relatively painlessly with the VLM.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'd be scared if I was on the same train as Jimbob.

Hello again alkm  - good to see you, girl image

• apologies for the silly double posting HOURS later, but i don't know how it did it and I can't manage to delete - can someone point me in the right direction and help me feel less silly image

• Jus T - it's a 'feature' of the RW site, sometimes it just does it for no reason, don't worry.

Anyone having marathon dreams yet? I've had one where I started, and it was really crowded, but then I took a wrong turning and couldn't find the route - no signs, and no marshals. And then I ended up running through a medieval castle image .
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RR - Not yet... my dream last night was walking into Nationwide...

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Was Frank Bough there?

• TD - I had to defer my VLM entry in 2010. Felt awful at the time as it was my first marathon, but I'd been pretty ill with a virus. It's not just the training you miss, but the time it takes to recover enough to run 26.2. There are good reasons why the London guys make it easy to defer, and in the end I was delighted I made that decision. For a start you have a whole year knowing you've got a place, while the rest of us will have to wait until October to be rejected!

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

TJB (and anyone else) - the bag drop is a fair way down Avenue Foch from the AdT and the traffic and people by 8am mean it's busy.  I've read that bag drop off can be slow at that time but bag collection at any time can be horrendous.    My advice is to avoid using the bag drop off if you can - for you TJB just take advantage of the hotel being near and head straight to the Arc.

Hey Dude - got an alternative to Bag Drop! it's called Ingrid, we're sharing just one rucksack for the trip  - it'll only contain my team gb tracksuit and her spare thongs so it won't be too heavy for her to lug around the course.

Jus T wrote (see)
    After reading the five pages that appeared overnight on the train this morning I can't remember what I wanted to say except TJB, wow you're fast! MM, hats off to your brother, the guys looked like they did it tough yesterday, I'm not sure anyone could call an IM a walk in the park, I'd be dead after just the swim!

Jus T. cheers for the compliment - there were a couple of miles that were in the 9s yesterday as well - i wouldn't be able to sustain 6 minute miles for very long, i'd be very very chuffed to average 8s for the marathon.

Talking of post race drink - can that be started early-ish? - i need to be on the platform at Gard Du Nord at 8.20pm on Sunday night meaning i'll need to leave the pub at 7.10 (ish)

TD- sorry about VLM dude - hope you managed to defer your place? 

• Another day closer.......it's tipping it down this moring, only got 5k to do, so am waiting till later, and I've still not seen or heard from the sleeping guests. I only wish I could stay in bed that long.

I'm aiming to get to the expo Friday if I get in on time, arrival 1730, but not sure, so might just get up early on Sat and go then.  So hopefully see some of you there, if not, 0800 sharp under the Arc. 

I am aiming to walk to it, we're about 15min walk (so it says).

Nerves are kicking in now. Rome Marathon Rucksack is out.....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Was Frank Bough there?

Nope. I was held hostage.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Talking of bag drops... If anyone has a hotel close by the start/finish- can i come by and drop my bag off and pick it up at the end? I still need to work out the finer details as i'm going straight from the bar to the station.

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Talking of bag drops... If anyone has a hotel close by the start/finish- can i come by and drop my bag off and pick it up at the end? I still need to work out the finer details as i'm going straight from the bar to the station.

Yes....Hotel Astrid, Avenue Carnot.  We can agree an approximate time then just call me when you're near.

I'm struggling today.  Woke at 1.30am with stomach pains, which kept waking me until I woke up proper at six.  Feel listless, achey and increasingly nauseous too.  image

• TJB - But what about your thongs?

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

TJB - But what about your thongs?

i only need one for the race then after that i'm commandoimage

• RR - thanks image

Tricky - sorry was it you that was organising the pasta papa thingy? We've two friends who would love to join us if it's not too late?

Oooh, i'll look forward to my thongs after the run... hang on, i'm not sure we're talking about the same thongs!!! Awkward!

Taper crazy well and truely in great form here in Melb, my workmates can't wait to throw me on a plane next week and see the back of my madness for 4 weeks!