Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

With the Jimbobs lovely cousin Ingrid being from down under aren't thongs the name for sandals!

• Jus - naturally we're discussing antipodean footwear...;)

• ahh  - a nice pair of thongs'll do my plates the world of good after the race! i've got some adidas ones

• Saw a guy running Amsterdam last year in thongs (the feet kind) He was pretty swift in them as well. Reckon he'll have done about 3.45.

Alikm - Deffo. Have to get you signed up for TD's Long Run next image

RS, RR - I get in at CDG 9am Saturday, so prob at the expo anywhere between 1pm and 3pm. Going to try and catch up with Emmy and Jimbob, so I might be with them, or failing that my number's on ATM's list.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well I think I can start the week with another Oooooft.  RR will understand when I say I have just done the 13k with 3 x 1600m @ 5k pace....image

I'm glad that's over, so I am...

• Mar 30: Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Kenny O'Donnell, JFK, RFK.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Chester Half - Dave The Ex Spartan. Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L.
    Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, Maus, RR, TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 8: Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Barcelona Tri - Simon Mac. Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, thread in  ' list mode'.Good. While we're at it...

If you want your mobile number added to the Mobiles List, please email it to me. I'll circulate that list among those on it.It might come in handy.

• you've definitely got mine!

• Hi MM The conditions for Melb. IM were pretty windy which led to the swim leg being shortened to 1.5k's.

Most of my friends/clients had good races with a couple of podiums and a handful of Hawaii qualifiers.

Fantastic race and atmosphere.

Jus T, Ran 76 minutes the same time as you I believe, sat on 85% heart rate and felt strong.

It was good to run in a crowd as I have only ever ran 2 fun runs before, both Melbourne Half Marathons. 

• I didn't think you were talking about anything other than my favourite type of footwear, but then I caught myself! I'll never forget the day I arrived at a friend's place in New York after a long flight. His mum wanted to welcome and chat with us, but I just wanted to change my shoes. I said to her "I'll just put my thongs on and be right back" "Oh!" she said, "You'll have total privacy in your room!!!!"

The crucial thong question, will my little toes freeze off in thongs in Paris on marathon sunday?! I think they might! Will I care? Nah!

Weedy - I can't work out your cryptic list, but if it's not too cryptic can I put my birthday on the list? It's 8 March!

• Great work Peter! How nice was it coming out of the tunnel! Looking forward to checking out the official times tomorrow. You sound like you'll be in perfect form for Paris!!

• You can add me too please Weedy - November the 2nd, light a white candle for the poor souls in purgatory etc.

• Jus T wrote (see)!

Weedy - I can't work out your cryptic list, but if it's not too cryptic can I put my birthday on the list? It's 8 March!

Just choked on my coffee and tim tam.

My birthday is also 8th of March but a few years earlier.

• My birthday is 6th October.......well balanced me....image

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

I am officialy broken. Can anyone rebuild me?

Torquay weekender was as big a session as previously predicted. Got out of the front door at 5am on Friday morning to knock out 16K, and again at 6am this morning for 10Ks worth of pain. The time inbetween the two has just put me on my backside, I certainly can't drink like I used to be able too!

Think my mate put it best on Facebook this morning;

"After 1 section 27, 2 police suggestions to leave, town hundreds of beers, several hangovers, one broken bedders, call girls, several singalongs, dodgy dancing, meltdowns, lost teeth, rain, wind, snow, trains, buses and taxis, it is back to work.  Mysterymen and women I salute you one and all, and may god bless all that sail in you"

Thank god Paris is'nt this coming weekend. Right now I couldnt manage a shuffle to the end of the road! Kinda feel like I've put a mssive dent in the marathon preperations, guess the next 13 days will have to be detox-time.......!

• Peter! We must be twins! Happy birthday for the other week mate! image

Good night all - see you in another 5 or 6 pages time!

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Oh, and whilst I think on.....

We're staying on Rue Nollet in the Batignolles area of the City. Planning on getting the Metro to the start on the morning of the 7th. Hoping to be at the start about an hour before the race. Can anyone with some local experience inform me what time I'll need to leave the apartment...?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well done Bedders.  If you're going to go on the lash, do it properly...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've just added a bevy of beauties to the Who's Who    * That's ' bevy', not 'bevvy', for the Glaswegians...*

Bedders, I make it 17 minutes, direct, on Line 2 (Place de Clichy to Etoile) plus the walk from your hotel.  But this   http://www.ratp.fr/fr/  is your friend....I'm typing in italics to go easy on your head...

Hell mend you! image

You'll be fine.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV - yup, it was me - I'm a Crunchie-holic.  Thanks!

Confusion over the term "thong" reminds me of an incident early in our move to the US. I did not yet know what American's called their bum. The girl at a desk near me in the research lab came in in a Monday morning, we exchanged hello's and the usual "how was your weekend?". "great", she says, "my boyfriend and I went camping all weekend, but boy does my fanny hurt now!".  For the only time in my life, I was speechless.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Confusion over the term "thong" reminds me of an incident early in our move to the US. I did not yet know what American's called their bum. The girl at a desk near me in the research lab came in in a Monday morning, we exchanged hello's and the usual "how was your weekend?". "great", she says, "my boyfriend and I went camping all weekend, but boy does my fanny hurt now!".  For the only time in my life, I was speechless.

At least I have the decency to call it "my mary"

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

What do you call your Mary?  Your fanny or your arse?  We need to know...

• So glad I popped home at to catch up on the thread..........and hang oot the washing!!image

Bedders - we are staying just round the corner from you.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

fanny. If you've been on a bike all day - you say: christ -my mary's hurting. Or you could use a phrase my great aunt coined: "'ts like sittin' on edge o' penknife"

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Where I am, we tend to refer to "flat cats" after a long cycle ride.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Bedders - a little tip for getting the Metro on Marathon day. Allow 15 minutes to get out of the station at Charles De Gaulle Etoille. It's a maze of tunnels and at T minus 1 hour they will be chocker.

yer_maj wrote (see)

PMSL image

I cant believe the weather around here. Outside of my front door we've got pathways that are full of frozen snow. 5 miles away it's clear (but damn cold).

• Hi all

Does anyone know about the queues at the Paris expo where we pick up our numbers?  I have read they are pretty bad.  I need to get my number on the Saturday, which I expect will be the busiest day.  Does is quieten down in the evening or is it best to get there as early as possible, or at lunch time?

Not long now!

Jane

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TD - can you send me the URL for the restaurant please?

• Dannirr wrote (see)

I still feel awful but that has at least put a big smile on my face image

• ha ha ha......made me smile.  Not sure I want to comment on what I call "it". But I'm taken with Mary...... image

Just got rid of the paying guests......yawn.  Stripping beds and washing now.  The joys of a landlady.

Will get out soon, that will clear the head and I can have a good shout whilst doing my 5k