Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• PF - that looks pretty sensible to me in terms of long runs.  As for the 14 miler seeming tough, I've had the same thing and I think its part psychological with me - I know the long runs will be tough but when faced with a cutback I somehow expect it to be like a 4 mile jog and it's not, it's still a pretty long run and that seems to take me by surprise.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

When it gets tough in Paris, remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAwXb9n7EY

God, when the father runs on and then Derek just bursts into tears - thats when it kills me image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You complete bastard Jimbob image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Sorry about the presentation.  I've pinched times off the rogues gallery.

Gold  - Silver - Bronze

Alexandre - 3h30 - 3h40 - 3h50

ATM   3h59

Bedders   3h09

Clag   3h59

Dannirr - 3h44 - 3h45 - 3h55

Dark Vader - Beat someone - Post on forum - Get an Eye Full

Dave the Ex Spartan - Pub - Pub - Pub

Eggyh73 - 4h30 - finish - stay alive

Emmy H - 4h29 - 4h45 - 4h55

Goldeagle  3h45

Iain Moore 2 - 4h30 - 4h45 - Finish

James B73 - 3h58 - 4h05 - 4h15

Johnny Lyall -  3h59

Jus T   3h45

Kaz1 -  Find daughters - Finish - Start

KeyserSuze - 4h12 - 4h30 - Finish

Larri - 4h30 - 4h45 - Finish

Marathon Maus - 4h55 - 5h00 - 5h10

Onetit   4h45

Orbutt - 4h05 - 4h10 - 4h15

PC91 - 3h55 - 4h00 - 5h00

Peter Burke 5 - 3h59 - 4h05 - 4h10

Rick James   3h59

Running Rodent - 3h49 - 3h50 - 3h58

Scott the Walker   3h59

Simon  MacDoughnut -  3h30 - 3h35 - 3h45

SP13 - 3h59 - 4h10 - Finish

Sporty Badger - 3h15 - 3h20 - 3h25

Stray Runner   2h59

The JimBob - 3h30 - 3h40 - 3h50

Tommy Mac 2 - 3h50 - 4h00 - 4h25

Trevor Olver - 3h30 - 3h45 - 4h00

Weather - Sunny - Cloudy - Rain

Weedy - Mariage - Romance - Kiss

Yer_Maj - 4h10 - 4h15 - 4h20

• I suppose I should add on the targets.............. BEAT THE WIFE AT ALL COSTS

• Emmy H wrote (see)

You complete bastard Jimbob image

sorry embo (still sniffling) image

• Peter - I got your message, but can't reply. Drop me an email and I'll forward it

http://www.cinemagora.co.uk/images/films/65/45365-b-the-dirty-dozen.jpg

• Oh no.....I watched the video again and now I'm sobbing....!!  gets me every time..... image

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Daddsy - nurse yourself and take it easy, you'll be back to normal in no time. Forgive the science-bit but Lemsip good, Ibuprofen not so good, particularly when you are in danger of dehydration.

Cheers for the advice, read it before grabbing the ibuprofen so will stick to the lemsip. Already feeling a bit better, I'm sure it'll clear up by thursday.

Found this article earlier: www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/25/french-bottled-waters-contaminated-brands will be taking my own drink with me for as much of the route as possible then!

14 Day weather shows the sunday as expected to be a peak in the paris weather, little cloud, no rain, 11degrees c max. I could deal with that.

Oh, and as I don't think I did the G/S/B thing:

Gold: 3h30, Silver: 3h45, Bronze: 4h. I'll be bloody happy with any though image

• Worried today.  I'm a born worrier!  Worried about the dreaded gingerbread man during the marathon....Marathon Talkers will know what I am on about image

• Wow, that's disturbing.  I always carry my own, but do need to refill it on route, hope I see my mates/himindoors on route and get them to carry a non contaminated brand. 

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Daddsy - where did you check the weather? I've just looked on accuweather which is giving rain and metcheck is even worse with sleet image
  • I was using world weather online, but even that has updated to a greater chance of rain since I checked last night image http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Paris-weather/Ile-de-France/FR.aspx

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    I'm going to stick with my belief that you can't trust metcheck but might have to start preparing myself for rain.
  • Well my 12 miles became 10k image legs felt heavy, and its lots hotter today- unsuitable clothing meant overheating image anyway 10k done at What I hope will be Goal MP(if I have a goal????image). It felt hard but after last nights 3x1600 efforts within 9 mile run I am not surprised. image

And I have Incredible Hulk hands.
  • Morning folks, long time watcher, first time poster.  Thanks for all the helpful tips and info on this race, it's really useful and good entertainment.  This will be second marathon for me and first time doing Paris.  I have just read quite a fun book on marathon running by Phil Hewitt who waxes lyrical about the route but is very neagtive about the starting pens, that they are hard to get into, really overcrowded and generally a bit lousy. is that the consensus on this forum?  If so, any tips on how to avoid that stressy start?  Cheers

• RAIN?!?!?! No no no, there'll be no rain. Don't worry everyone, it's going to be sunny and 34 here tomorrow, I'll put just a little bit of that sunshine on my packing list, ok?

It will not rain on Marathon Sunday. End of story.

• PC91 wrote (see)

Sorry about the presentation.  I've pinched times off the rogues gallery.

Gold  - Silver - Bronze

Jus T   3h45

PC91 - Lets make my gold time 3:45, silver 4:00 and bronze finishing!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Will run for Food - Hiya image Now you've de-cloaked you've got to tell us your life storyimage

Last year I didn't have any problems with the pens, yes they were a bit crowded but I've been in worse at a local half.

You won't be in there too long but I would recommend joining the queue for the loo, doing your bit and then rejoining the queue. image

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - for my first half marathon last year I was all nervous and decided I beeded a quick wee before the start. Being compmetely not with it I waljed passed a long que and straight in to the toilet. Only realised afterwards and felt terrible.

Hi Will run for Food.
  • De cloaked LOL, like a Klingon bird of prey

Welcome WRFF
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I never had an issue with the pens last year. They are busy, which is to be expected at any large event like Paris/London/Berlin etc, but they aren't cramped.

• Thanks!  That's very reassuring, cheers.  Starting to feel a good level of anticipation and excitement now, booked hotel last night, downloaded convocation and just need to get myself to the GP now.  Wish the race was tomorrow (or maybe the day after tomorrow) as I am not execting to get any fitter in the next 12 days.  Anyone else finding training in this weather a bit challenging? Bit soon for life story Orbutt. But one nugget is that I am looking to go half a minute faster this time than last, and hit sub 4 hrs 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome WRFF * Tell us that you've printed off your Convocation image*

Right. Mobiles List. Anyone else want to send me their number? ( email, please. The forum messaging thingy isn't working properly for me) Specifically, TD, can I add yours?

• PC 91 is there another page in terms of finishing times, cause I would be on that ... coming it at 5 hrs I am used to being tail end Charlie - but have no fear cyber friends, I shall make it to the pub on time image

• First sick day for me in about 3 years. And I think I'll take tomorrow off as well. Work will wait. Paris will not!

And it WILL NOT rain on the 7th April.
  • WRFF (great name) welcome image . I'd say the pens in Paris are no better or worse than anywhere else, but there are two points worth remembering. They do police entry to the pens, so you'll only get into the one that corresponds to your bib colour (finishing time). If you're aiming for a different time to the one you put on the entry form, you can change bibs when you pick up your number at the Expo (it's easy to do), but not on the day. The other thing is not to chuck away your warm clothing as soon as the gun goes off - you could be standing around for a while after that (schoolgirl error on my part last year).
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah,yes. good point, RR.  This year, at the Semi, there were ' clothing bins' right at the line. I, too, threw away my old jumper far too soon and had to tough it out in a vest ..while invading my fellow runners' ' personal space' for a bit of body heat...There's definitely time to strip once you get to the start mat. Whatever the weather forecast, the pens are in shade and it's pretty nippy at that time of the morning.Old gloves are good. Once the sun (?) comes out, suncreen and a hat/buff?