Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I too threw my warm stuff away too soon, then stood there shivering away!  I think this time I'm keeping my warm top on until I feel warm - then it goes.

Eggy - I had a 12 planned for this Sunday (15 last Sunday). Perhaps better to cut that back to 10?  10 would make the week 29.

ATM - you have my mobile, right?

DV - where are you staying?  Is the family coming with? I'm thinking of bringing you some home-study reading material for the next adventure. Would that be ok?

Chest shaving - when I had my episode with atrial fibrillation about a year ago, in preperation for the electrical shock treatment they shaved a couple of big patches in my rather hirsuit chest. 10 days later Mrs D and I were on vacation in Grand Cayman and the bald patches looked ridiculous on the beach. I did not like the idea of shaving my chest, so resorted to that well used balding man attempt to fool everyone - the comb over. If you think it looks stupid on a man's head, it looks even more stupid on a chest.

• Options

*Inspiring music starts*

We've trained in sleet;
    We've trained in snowdrifts;
    We've trained in hailstorms;
    We've trained in downpours;
    We've trained in gale-force winds;
    Sometimes we've trained in all of them together.

We've trained at 11pm;
    When all the normal people are warm indoors.
    We've trained at 5am;
    When all the normal people are still asleep.

*Inspiring music crescendos*
    We're not scared of you, French weather.
    Do your worst.

We'll beat whatever you throw at us.

And hi WRFF image

• Options

i'm getting proper paranoia about getting ill! I'm going on a search to find immune system boosting food for my lunch time. Apparently, beef, sweet potato, shellfish, chicken soup, umpteen cups of tea, garlic, oats & barley, mushrooms, pro-biotic yogurt are but a few. I'm gonna add freshly squeezed orange juice and innocent smoothie to that list and stock up.

Also going out to accessorize my pre-race/post-race foods - can't rely on a french goody bag! Porridge Pots, nature valleys and M&S Super-nut bars are a must. And of course Jelly babies.

Travelling around Paris on the Metro - is it best to get one of those Carnet ticket books? then you can share them out with the people you are travelling with - thats what i'm thinking unless someone has a better suggestion.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yep, got it, Dannirr.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

You complete bastard Jimbob image

sorry embo (still sniffling) image

Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)

Worried today.  I'm a born worrier!  Worried about the dreaded gingerbread man during the marathon....Marathon Talkers will know what I am on about image

Reduce the fibre in your diet in the next week and make sure you 'go'. I'm more worried about peeing in the pens!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Eggy - I had a 12 planned for this Sunday (15 last Sunday). Perhaps better to cut that back to 10?  10 would make the week 29.

Dannirr - I'm no expert and I doubt the difference in a couple of miles makes that much difference, but pretty much everything I've read regarding tapering has a fairly low mileage final LSR. Even looking at those Hal advanced plans it lists a final LSR at 8 miles.

I believe the thinking is it's hard for us distance runners to accept less time on feet at this stage is better than more time on our feet. Our idea of rest is no doubt is pretty warped, when we all consider just under a half marathon for a long run is a rest week!

• Options

you lot make me laugh, and I need to laugh at the moment as the animals on the "farm" are not well - still.  Hey ho.

I peed in the street last time I ran in Paris, before the start,  who cares? It's France.  As for the "other", never needed to go and never even needed to p once I'm off.  Get up really early, stuff your face and wait for nature to take its course, then get to the start line - assuming your body does it's biz within that time...! image  Don't want "touching the cloth" do we!!?

I'm taking an old sweatshirt and will wear it till I'm hot, then toss it.

Sorry about the weather, but I'm really really hoping it's chilly and even a little drizzle at times, that's my fav.  The sun will come out at the end......yeah image

got my jelly b's, cereal bars and pain killers, hoping they will see me round.

• Options

PC91 wrote (see)
    What type of tape?

I haven't had problems during my long runs however would you suggest vaseline or talc for the feet? I haven't had nipple problems, would tape or vaseline still be recommended?

Tit tape obviously PC91image  My favourite is Scoth gaffer tape to give me that ultra-secure feeling. Still haven't taken off the strips I used in Paris '09

Julie Deadman wrote (see)

Hi Everyone

Great thread as always!  This will be my third Paris and wonder if anyone can help please?

I have a Forerunner 310XT and have lost the signal in the tunnels. The watch hasn't picked up when I have come out of the tunnels so the mileage and pacing have gone astray. 

Does anyone know the best way to get round this??

Thanks, Julie 

Julie - the footpod is the only way to go. Seems a bit pricey at first but it's a very useful bit of kit. Replaces satelite signals when lost, can be used on the treadmill, measures cadence. Super eay to fit/ take off different running shoes, v. secure. Recommended. Works perfectly with my 310XT.

Pri-Fi - hi my dear, glad to hear you are OK, great to hear from you. I'd push your 14/4 run out to be a 20 miler, rest looks good. Go easy (slow) on the 22 miler and it should be fine. Don't worry about them being tiring. That's what you are supposed to feel at the end of them.

Will Run For Food - don't get stressed about the start. 35,000+ people manage to start every year. I've not seen better or worse in any big city maras in loads of different places. It's just normal. It's a bit like shopping the week before Christmas. You know the checkout queue is going to be a bit of a pain but you can live with it. The new wave start system last year seemed to be a big improvement. Relax...

ATM - yes, please do add my number. Are you worried I am going to be inundated with calls from women who just won't leave me alone? It's a hazard, but I'll live with it. [Laughing at my own pathetic little hubris]. Just make sure you get the +32 on it and I'll hope everyone can work out international dialling!  Am happy to be a point of contact on the day.

• Options

DLR & Eggy:  thanks to you both, DLR same with me for wome reason forget that still have lsr miles in my legs!!!  Eggy: the 18 will become a 20 and the one before marathon a 10 - 12.  The reason I've stuck my longest 5 weeks out is that I need to know I can do beyond 20 miles without the wheels falling off after what happened i VLM last year am a tad uncertain ... but will know by 12 friday lunchtimeimage. So my long runs for the next few weeks are: 22, 14, 20, 14, 10,  Marathon - sounds like a planimage

Kaz: excellent effort in the 10k after a tough run yesterday go girl!!!

ATM:  Miss PF and I are visiting St Andrews University on 17th April, flying into Edinburgh on the 16th driving to St Andrews that evening, but flight home on the thursday isnt until 12.30 so are you anywhere near St Andrews or Edinburgh?  I have hire car image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

TD, is it the one that ends in  01? * And , yes.I don't want to find your number engaged the whole time when I'm making  my late-night calls...*

• Options

TD: thanks  was just feeling very old yesterday .. Up until saturday all the runs had been ok - suppose I was due for a tough one reminding me to rest.  Friday (22- 23 miles) will be slow as the fist 6 are up hill !!!  But the slower the better me thinks until the end .....  So pleased your turbo session was good - what is a turbo seesion by the way???

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Just make sure you get the +32 on it and I'll hope everyone can work out international dialling!  Am happy to be a point of contact on the day.

Oh Yes.... ATM - did I put +32 on mine?

ATM wrote (see)

TD, is it the one that ends in  01? * And , yes.I don't want to find your number engaged the whole time when I'm making  my late-night calls...*

Ooh - that sounds interesting...

• Options

How many bloody marathon runners are there in Orkney??? Not a bloody jelly bean to be gotten!imageimage

PF - Your doing brilliantly, but I do understand your worry, take it easy and you'll be fine!image

Strong black coffee on an empty stomach usually does the trick in the morning and will save any bear in the woods(pens) troubles!!

I am somewhat relaxed, compared to usual, about this we run we have planned............or  am I at the point that after last time........I WILL SURVIVE.......No matter what!!!!image

• Options

Peter - email's bouncing back. Can you send it again to make sure I've got the right address?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jimbob - The Carnet isn't really a book of tickets, it's just a collection of single use tickets. If I remember correctly (ATM will correct me if I'm wrong) you pay for 10 tickets and you get 11.

These can be used by whoever, as they're just single tickets.

• Options

Last year we bought a 3 day ticket which allowed unlimited use of transport for 21 euros each but that was only for zones 1-3 so didnt include airport.

• Options

Weedy

You're a list legend.

• Options

i think the carnet is the way forward for me - not planning to go out of zone 1 at any point (apart from when i'm running!) - gives me and Ingi 5 trips each. Do a couple of cabs for any other travel - like pub or restaurant action. Dan can sort himself out - he's a big boy, ive nagged him about his med certificate / convocation, he's like "oh year, i'll do that next week" (yeah right, just before we get on the friggin train D)image

• Options

List mania

Printed out all directions and maps for each day........metro/trains. to from station/hotel ( in one station out another - confusing) to PUB (important) to Expo.....  Ticked that box

kit all washed and folded - tick box

making playlist for last two km's - inspirational music will be a must to get a speedy (ha ha) finish

must find birkenstock slip ons for after marathon.......mmmmm I think it might be a tad chilly for thongs image

paint toe nails black or bright red in case have to wear thongs

dug part of garden as it's rest day image

• Options

Now my SIS gel belt holder has decided that it has seen better days.  The elastic won't hold the gels sufficiently....grrr.  Wiggle don't have any in stock unil mid April.  Might have to sew the elastic and make it tighter.  Naffing hell....taper madnessimage 

• Options
    Decathlon do a number / gel belt
  • Options
    PC91 - silver target would be 4.03 (4.04 being my PB)

This thread is so helpful - no idea how people cope without it. Thanks everyone
  • Options
    ATM wrote (see)

That's the one. How are you getting down to Paris Emmy? I am driving down Saturday morning and driving back to Brussels early Monday morning. Got space in the car...

Forgot to mention earlier, the sun is out in my part of the world. Did an early morning 13k in SUNSHINE and I loved it! It's great to be a runner image

• Options
    A lot of people don't understand why we (us runners) just LOVE running. When I'm out running a decent long run 10 miles+, I am at my most relaxed. Thought I'd just share that.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Lovely 5 miles today with a few snow flurries. In Atlanta, that's enough snow to cancel school usually image.   Big toe on left hurts on push off - might not run much at all before Paris - dont think it'll make much difference now.

Packing - don't forget something warm and dry to get into as soon as you finish / get your bag.

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Jimbob - The Carnet isn't really a book of tickets, it's just a collection of single use tickets. If I remember correctly (ATM will correct me if I'm wrong) you pay for 10 tickets and you get 11.

These can be used by whoever, as they're just single tickets.

Orbutt - absolutely right. Le carnet, a great thing. Paris, a great town, a great thread, a great run.

• Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    A lot of people don't understand why we (us runners) just LOVE running. When I'm out running a decent long run 10 miles+, I am at my most relaxed. Thought I'd just share that.

Jimbob - love it. Man, I am so in agreement with you. In fact, getting beyond 10k and heading on anywhere 20k, I get the smiles properly. Endodorphins are amazing things.

Always makes me rather sad when I don't get at least a head-bob acknowledgement from other passing runners though. On my early Saturday am runs - everyone gets a "'morning", whether they like it or not!

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I am somewhat relaxed, compared to usual, about this we run we have planned............or  am I at the point that after last time........I WILL SURVIVE.......No matter what!!!!image

I've told you before Kaz - you're due a really good run.  Just let it happen.

Now my SIS gel belt holder has decided that it has seen better days.  The elastic won't hold the gels sufficiently....grrr.  Wiggle don't have any in stock unil mid April.  Might have to sew the elastic and make it tighter.  Naffing hell....taper madnessimage 

Message me your address Elizabeth and I'll send you my SiS one - its unused in a drawer somewhere.  Can dig it out tomorrow.

• Options

sunshine - whats that .. at the moment snow is forecast for the sunny island of Jersey Thursday - Saturday depending on which weather channel you look at.  Looks like Friday is going to be another chilly run.  Oh and we all know that as I;m doing a marathon at the beginning of may the may day bank holiday weekend will be scorchingimage.

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I've told you before Kaz - you're due a really good run.  Just let it happen.

Message me your address Elizabeth and I'll send you my SiS one - its unused in a drawer somewhere.  Can dig it out tomorrow.

Just found it.  still sealed in it's packaging.