Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - yup, it was me - I'm a Crunchie-holic.  Thanks!

Confusion over the term "thong" reminds me of an incident early in our move to the US. I did not yet know what American's called their bum. The girl at a desk near me in the research lab came in in a Monday morning, we exchanged hello's and the usual "how was your weekend?". "great", she says, "my boyfriend and I went camping all weekend, but boy does my fanny hurt now!".  For the only time in my life, I was speechless.

My Australian Aunt and Uncle were horrified to attend a football match with supporters bearing placards reading "Root Your Fanny Off". This has a VERY different meaning in Australia.

PC91 wrote (see)

image Shawshank Redemption

I can't even find a reference to 'Gilda' in the bloody list!?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I love Google Translate. Not only is it a great bit of kit but it also delivers some hilarious results.

When I get the regular ASO emails, they arrive in English but clicking on the link takes me to a French page.

So I bang the web address into Google translate and it translates the entire page for me - genius.

And then you get the results.

From the latest update

Also possible that the miles seem a little longer and the clock shows a decline. Do not panic: we must remain focused on the effort and make sure gels regularly to avoid the big crack.

Gotta watch out for the big crack image
  • Nice video clip Phill in Fitter. You'll all be Steve jones's when you cross the line in Paris. I hope everybody gives a huge shout like I did last year, that way Orbutt can make his own inspiring video. Lots of punching the air and kissing whoever is nearby. Really OTT stuff please.

Off to the Oook for 3 days in the morning (UK). Hope I can fit in a cheeky run somewhere

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I just hope that I can 'borrow' the footage like I did last year - but yes please, give it loads!!!!
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Give it loads of O-bots
  • DLR - I've messaged you.  Thanks so much image

• Onetit - all the best to the llamas. Hope they're OK - do you get someone to llama-sit when you're away?

A very small patch of blue sky here this evening - didn't last, but it was nice to see. And that's the last set of killer intervals done image - 8 miles including 3 x 1,600m @ 5k pace. Easy jogging from now on, with a few strides thrown in for variety image .

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to after the race is to be able to go out again and just run for fun - no particular distance, no particular pace, just whatever I feel like. And if we ever get any nice weather again to do it in, that's a bonus.

PF - all the best people go to St Andrews image . I was there about a thousand years ago, but I don't think it changes much - just the woollen mill shops change hands from time to time. Take Ms PF to Fisher and Donaldson for a fudge doughnut (or is she gluten free too? In which case try a giant meringue) and buy her a thermal vest image .
  • Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Nice video clip Phill in Fitter. You'll all be Steve jones's when you cross the line in Paris. I hope everybody gives a huge shout like I did last year, that way Orbutt can make his own inspiring video. Lots of punching the air and kissing whoever is nearby. Really OTT stuff please.

Off to the Oook for 3 days in the morning (UK). Hope I can fit in a cheeky run somewhere

TD - are you going to be in the Big Smoke this Friday afternoon by any chance? we're having a mini-get together / run at 3 oclock - followed by swift couple of pints and a snack

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice to hear from you Princess. Wondered how your Mont St Michel plans were going. Cracking race there, you can see MSM most of the way round. Your taper plan looks sound but it does depend a bit on the build up and how mant 20's you've done. I usually get away with a 2 week taper. Or I cut out the longest run but keep up the mileage. I'm on hols next week so will do a 15 miler Good Friday, 10k race Sunday (with 3 miles either side), then a 55 mile week. Then it's 2 weeks to go before London so I'll cut right back.

• Annie RW wrote (see)

Hey All,

You are sort of right here in that these problems aren't ones we can sort out directly so waiting on the developers, but we are chasing them and appreciate that this is frustarating for you all! 

Will keep you in the loop as best we can.

Thanks, Annie image

Stumbled across the above post in a thread about the problems with the messaging, uploading pictures, tiny text etc.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    I just hope that I can 'borrow' the footage like I did last year - but yes please, give it loads!!!!

That video really is a work of art. Although my entry to it is rather poor as I was in a state of shock of running the time I did for about 30 seconds after finishing. In my mind breaking sub four I'd be Mr Celebration after crossing the line. In reality I put my hands on my head in shock and then kept looking at my watch in a state of disbelief it said 3:49!

There will be no shocks this year from me, maybe a shocker though. I did 8 miles tonight and it was dire. Felt tired, legs weren't for having it and despite running a loop I seemed to have a constant freezing headwind in my face. Average pace minging!

• Best for me to revise my goals...

Gold 3.40.

Silver 3.50

Bronze 4.00

Above all to enjoy the journey!
  • Eggy, Orbutt - i've just bought my race video in advance for €3.99 from ASO. Apparently it goes up to €14.99 after the race. I don't usually punt for those - but four Euros aint bad really. I looked at the low-res videos available of you guys on the 2012 results page. Not bad, chuck in a bit of Eye of the tiger and we're on a winner! I also bought the text 2 of yer mates, race updates thingy for €1.99 - but haven't been prompted for the  telephone numbers yet.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Can someone please send me the spectator's guide.  Thanks

danni AT mindspring dot com

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Been a rough couple of days since I last posted. Have been having a fight with this virus thingy that I have and it felt as if I was dying yesterday. Maybe that is a little over dramatic but you get the picture. Back to the quack today and confirmed no chest infection just very bad virus but now got anotherr lot of antibiotics for the next week. Discussion re running marathon and not advising not to run but be sensible and if still not much of an improvement by the weekend would strongly suggest that I do not venture south to take on the french.

I have not yet given up hope and despite my OH telling me not to go, will provided I have turned a corner by the weekend.

So I will be at the Expo on the Saturday and will join you at the Arc 7.50 sunday morning if you''ll have me.

Off now for some more of that valuable thing called rest.

TJ - I will email you my details as per one of your previous posts.

• Carl D - 13 days dude. Hopefully corner turned by weekend and a full week ti get back on your feet properly?

Dannirr et al - I am considering getting a place for a Stateside run when I'm over later this year. Possibilities: Phillie (maybe the only one I can afford), Marine Corps Marathon (if I get a place tomorrow) or NYC (very costly indeed it seems). Any advice?

Phillie would be 7 weeks after Berlin, NYC 5 weeks, MCM 4 weeks...
  • MCM. Then it's just relighting the stove to warm the roasties back up
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Iain - are you coming over for a conference only, or is there more than one trip planned?   From what I hear, Philly would be top of the list with MCM last on that list (although I do like runing in Washington).  

• Dannirr - I've the Atlanta conference November 7-10. Thinking of taking total 2 weeks in US (study and annual leave), so can go out early or hang around after conference for Phillie. I've run 16 miles of the Phillie course and it is lovely, so tempting. Although it'd have to be straight on the plane that night and back to work...

Jimbob - would love to do MCM one day too...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Iain, check out the poem on the Whitley Bay parkrun fb page.

Very jealous of you lot- a naughty w/end in gay Paris!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hang in there, Alexander. Gold, Silver or Bronze, you'll have a great time. you, too, Carl. You've a fair bit of time.I hope the lurgy lifts.

Iain, Tartanpimpernel did the MCM last year.Despite getting stranded by that storm, she said she had a ball and would do it again. Maybe she can give you some details. * I'm jealous.It's the only other one I want to do . image*

It is snowing, really, really, hard outside...Running buddy is on her way . Good woman. My mileage theses days is mnimal and I couldn't get slower.I'm a shoo-in for the Oates Medal..

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)

Now my SIS gel belt holder has decided that it has seen better days.  The elastic won't hold the gels sufficiently....grrr.  Wiggle don't have any in stock unil mid April.  Might have to sew the elastic and make it tighter.  Naffing hell....taper madnessimage 

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)

Now my SIS gel belt holder has decided that it has seen better days.  The elastic won't hold the gels sufficiently....grrr.  Wiggle don't have any in stock unil mid April.  Might have to sew the elastic and make it tighter.  Naffing hell....taper madnessimage 

Message me your address Elizabeth and I'll send you my SiS one - its unused in a drawer somewhere.  Can dig it out tomorrow.

I was going to offer the same. I've got one sitting in a draw too.

• IM2..   I think you'll find it is affectionately called Philly...  not Phillie..  image

• MCM is on my to do list too, and may even replace Chicago depending on when I can get holidays next year.......Think I am just about last too pick so I may end up with no marathons next year.image

Gorgeous morning here, daylight at 5.20amimage but such hard frost that at first I thought we had snow.....stayed indoors, I have this afternoon to run.

8 more sleeps and I am in Paris!!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question - but what are people planning to do on Saturday afternoon? the time between getting through the expo and the pasta party?

• MCM registration opens at noon Washington time today, last year places sold out in 2h41m .... I went with a tour group to guarantee a place.  It's smallish, very friendly, and the medal is the biggest piece of  bling ever!  There are loads of portaloos on the start and the goodie box kept me going when all shops closed during Hurricane Sandy!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

MCM registration opens at noon Washington time today, last year places sold out in 2h41m .... I went with a tour group to guarantee a place.  It's smallish, very friendly, and the medal is the biggest piece of  bling ever!  There are loads of portaloos on the start and the goodie box kept me going when all shops closed during Hurricane Sandy!

You're really tempting me.... especially with mention of the goodybox!

• Morning, thanks for the kind words re llamas.  all a worry I can do without at the moment. Vet is here again. 

Will get off for my 10k in the glorious sunshine as it's due to rain this PM and non stop till Monday..!! oh joy of Easter hols.

I've got 6k tomorrow, 5k on Fri and 16k on Sunday, then just 3 x 5k next week before heading for the train on Friday - Yeah....

We have sitters who come and look after the house/animals so that's good for us. 

have a fun Wednesday everyone

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - If you run Philly you can always pretend to be Rocky!