Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Saturday afternoon in Paris will likely find me in a movie.  It's the best way I can find to force myself not to play tourist and walk around too much.

Danni: I'd be interested in joining you...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

"I know noooooooooothing about the horse"

"No please, I die here" is one of my favourite lines ever image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

At risk of sounding passe: "Que?"

Bless me forum for I have sinned. As I just reported to ATM, I have just breached my "no booze before Paris" rule. Again.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain/Rick - Well done in getting a place in MCM, or should that be OOH-RAH.

Dannirr - I might go try and find a movie to watch on Saturday afternoon too. One in English though, as my ability to speak or understand French leaves much to be desired.

Simon - Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

"nuuusssing"..."Que?"

Bless me forum for I have sinned. As I just reported to ATM, I have just breached my "no booze before Paris" rule. Again.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Mausy - in that case I'm a very naughty boy. I shall be starting the "no booze before Paris" rule next week . I'm weak, I know image

I may consider Barcelona. I was looking at Vienna but its not an easy place to get to. Of course, were I to get into VLM.........who am I kidding.
  • Options
    I go out for the evening, and when I get back you're talking about eating hamsters image ?!

Rick - that's a great quote. It's right up there with the idea that it's not a 26.2 mile race, it's the last 26.2 miles of all the miles you've done in training to get to that point. Also, if I need a torque wrench to get me moving on Monday morning, I'll give you a call image .
  • Options
    Just doing a playlist for the last 12k of next Sunday's run (just in case I need it). When I say cheese, I mean cross channel trip to he hypermarket cheese + Christmas cheese + live in cheddar gorge x 10 + a multipack of babybels.
  • Options
    Morning all, it's safe to say Rocky will be on the in-flight playlist, you've convinced me!

I want to get a massage after the run so the likelihood of being able to be a tourist for the next 3.5 weeks is higher, but all your talk of things closing on Sundays is concerning. Do you think I'll be able to get one somewhere? I'm happy to try to book now...
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
     Also, if I need a torque wrench to get me moving on Monday morning, I'll give you a call image .

At this rate, I might need a fork lift to get me moving monday morning....and on that note, off to a work related dinner at one of Atlanta's best steak restaurants.  This has all the markings of a major blowout in the making.

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Mausy - in that case I'm a very naughty boy. I shall be starting the "no booze before Paris" rule next week . I'm weak, I know image

I like to think of it has "enhanced reality"...

• Options
    Jus T wrote (see)
    Morning all, it's safe to say Rocky will be on the in-flight playlist, you've convinced me!

I want to get a massage after the run so the likelihood of being able to be a tourist for the next 3.5 weeks is higher, but all your talk of things closing on Sundays is concerning. Do you think I'll be able to get one somewhere? I'm happy to try to book now...

If you can wait in the queue, there are massage tents in the exit pen. Last year, the urge to sit down won...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Do you think I'd be working in a place like this if I could afford a real snake?

It's a great line...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jus T, what about the Hammam at the Mosque on the Monday ( one of the  Ladies' Days' )  Have a look  http://www.la-mosquee.com/htmlfr/hammamfr.htm   It's fantastic.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I go out for the evening, and when I get back you're talking about eating hamsters image ?!

Is not hamster, is rat.

• Options
    For those who are considering barcelona, like Bedders, I greatly recommend it, although it was only my third European marathon(the other two were great too).
  • Options

yer_maj wrote (see)

Is not hamster, is rat.

Gold. Comedy gold!

• Options
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

Woo hoo!  Very jealous.  Really slick organisation and Washington is full of free museums to visit, either on foot or by underground.

It's  great town, really looking forward to seeing it properly.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Iain - excellent!  I am signed up for Chicago else I would have done MCM.  Remember, in Atlanta we have plenty of space for you.

Dannirr - really appreciate it, looking forward to seeing Atlanta too!

RickJames wrote (see)

NCane2 - and others -

Ian - Our system is experiencing higher than normal volumes.  Please try your request again later.    I am also confirmed for MCM.   I'll be living in DC at the time.   Maybe see you there?

Rick - ha. I put my credit card info in about 5 times before it went through. I am pleased - look forward to seeing you there.

• Options

Dannirr, Eggy, MM - I'm planning for a movie (OuV) on Sat afternoon, after the Breakfast Run. Then pasta and bed. I mean like, what a day!

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)
     Also, if I need a torque wrench to get me moving on Monday morning, I'll give you a call image .

At this rate, I might need a fork lift to get me moving monday morning....and on that note, off to a work related dinner at one of Atlanta's best steak restaurants.  This has all the markings of a major blowout in the making.

Good! Enjoy it!

• Options
    Mrs TJB was going on about some M&S hot cross buns her work colleague was raving about that have chocolate in them. Has anyone heard of this evil treat? Apparently they are selling them 2 packs for 2quid, but chez came home angry cause she went to 4 that's four different m&s's but they were sold out at all of them!
  • Options

TJB - I'm a big fan of the normally-aspirated ones!

• Options

Thank goodness there is no such luxury as M&S here, or children would be sending me for breakfast if they'd heard about them!!

Soooooooooo frosty this morning again. But soooooo pretty. Run will wait until later when there is less chance of me falling on my a***. Another  morning with the DVD done instead.

Does anyone know how many euro's you can withdraw in one day from a cashline in Paris??? image

• Options
    Hi all this is my first posting and paris will be my first marathon. Have the training done I think ????????? just wondering if you guys have any last minute advice???

Also anyone else leaving Dublin first thing Saturday morning?

Was thinking of going straight from CDG to expo to get it done? Recommended??
  • Options

Niall - best advice I can give is to stay calm in the days and minutes before as it's easy to get worried over pretty much anything.  All the training is done now and aside from making sure you get there on time and with all the right kit the rest is in the lap of the God's - it'll be what it will.  

As for going straight to the expo from CDG yes its perfectly doable.

From memory its train from CDG to Chatelet les halles, then metro, then tram or a change on the metro.  Pretty simple though and you can plan it here:

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_5000/accueil/

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, Niall. Welcome to the thread. As DLR says, relax and flick through our pages of wittering.There's gold ( advice) in them there posts...buried deep.  RR's come up with the least-stressful route from CDG, we think. RERB to Cite Universite + tram direct to the Expo. and, yes, going straight there will get it out of the way.

I can't help myself...Have you got your Convocation printed off?image You need it, and your Medical Certificate and passport, at the Expo.

kaz, I can't help thinking of you out on your rounds.You've had a hard start to that job.It's still snowing, here,and it's freezing. You're nearly at the North Pole , at the best of times. Hang in there, woman. It IS pretty, mind you.

• Options

with Paula probably retiring, all the talk and compilation videos focus so much on performances at the Olympics with very little on al the incredible marathon and half marathon performaces. FFS - the woman is the greatest female long distance runner ever and the main reason why i took up running halves. She won London 3 times, New York 3 times, Chicago,- world records at marathon and half. I salute Paula Radcliffe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/7705114.stm

• Options

ATM - awww.....tahnx........My saying this year..........Things can only get better!!! image

Just checked the route planner, and it gave me the exact route I had planned!!! image But now I know that It will take about a hour.

One week today.....and my journey begins, and this year a lot simpler than last.......phew.........When I think of boats, trains, buses and that was before I even got as far as Edinburgh!!! No bloody wonder I was knackered by the time I got to Paris.......this year a flight on the Thursday of the Island, then KOC flight on Friday........image I'm like a bairn counting down until santa comes......image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Alexander wrote (see)
    If all goes well in Paris, I'm thinking about Barcelona too. London might be tempting too if they want me! Like the idea of a spring marathon, helps pass through the winter months

I'll be on the start line in Barcelona!

Dannirr wrote (see)

My valuables cannot be divided - I was born that way.

kaz1 wrote (see)

Does anyone know how many euro's you can withdraw in one day from a cashline in Paris??? image

I think 500EUR but you need to check with your bank that you CAN withdraw.

• Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Mrs TJB was going on about some M&S hot cross buns her work colleague was raving about that have chocolate in them. Has anyone heard of this evil treat? Apparently they are selling them 2 packs for 2quid, but chez came home angry cause she went to 4 that's four different m&s's but they were sold out at all of them!

Not only have I heard of this evil treat, but I have spotted them in their natural habitat, as well as in captivity. You must be vewwy, vewwy qwiet...

I regard this as a form of cruel and unusual punishment. By the time this marathon is through, I may not have earnt my drinky at Corcorans, but I will have earnt the biggest damn croissant that can be found...