Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Morning, thanks ATM & DLR. yea I have the convocation printed off but until I started reading the thread yday I had never heard of it and would of been non the wiser at the expo so a major thanks for that saved major hassle.

Thanks for the best route to the expo from CDG.

I believe it's possible to change the time u said you expect to finish in when registering? Is that true? I believe (mistakenly or not) that I have a chance at being at least 15 min faster than what i put down for registration.
  • Options
    Niall - I believe you can change pens at the expo. Definitely go straight from CDG. The queues on Saturday will be large, particularly after lunch. Are you up for the obligatory Irish bar on the Sunday night?

I am excited and psyched. I have this same 'nearly Christmas' vibe that Kaz has too! Maybe however, it's just looking forward to meeting the legend that is Jimbob tomorrow afternoon...!

Jimbob - agree with your sentiments re: Paula Radcliffe. She is an incredible athlete. Balanced life, children and world records. Just unique.
  • Options

Look for the 'Litigés' desk Niall - you can change there

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

There is blue sky and sunshine in Cardiff this morning.  Remain Calm...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, how's Marianne's training going?

• Options

Morning all.....there's rain falling in Le Bosc......but I'm keeping calm for your folks in Cardiff....

In a foul mood, so off to get wet and enjoy running and singing in the rain, if I stay at my computer I might email something I later regret....it's one of those days.

Just reading about Paula ......I ran my first Mara 2003 in London when she broke the record, I let her of course  image......she finished as I was crossing the halfway line.....imindoors got some superb photos of her (carry one in my bum bag - good luck charm image ) and my other claim to fame/Paula is that I've actually spoken to her on the phone....she was so nice. 

Now, that's cheered me up - off out.  Catch up later.  have a fun morning one and all

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Mrs TJB was going on about some M&S hot cross buns her work colleague was raving about that have chocolate in them. Has anyone heard of this evil treat? Apparently they are selling them 2 packs for 2quid, but chez came home angry cause she went to 4 that's four different m&s's but they were sold out at all of them!

Not only have I heard of this evil treat, but I have spotted them in their natural habitat, as well as in captivity. You must be vewwy, vewwy qwiet...

I regard this as a form of cruel and unusual punishment. By the time this marathon is through, I may not have earnt my drinky at Corcorans, but I will have earnt the biggest damn croissant that can be found...

Forget M&S - make some of Paul Hollywood's Hot X Buns with apple in them - they're absolutely scrummy.

ATM wrote (see)

I was thinking the same a few days ago. Is there any update?

• Options

Thanks Weedy - all sorted now, or being sorted. The perks of having a friend who's a GP. Hoorah. 

Just realised in my last few postings I've had a good ol' whinge - sorry! I promise I'm not really moany. 

Very excited about Paris now - I've done two solo runs in the past two days and have flown for both of them. Last night I did 6.02 miles in a time that would've given me a 10k PB, if my house hadn't arrived before! 

Excited about London too - anyone else doing both?

We're getting the Eurostar at 15:31 on Friday, aiming to be at the hotel for about 8pm. We're staying at the Hotel de Cabourg - anyone else there? I know a lovely kind person on here recommended it, but I can't remember who!

TJB There is an M&S round the corner frommy office. I have seen the advert for said hot cross bun treats. They look positively sinful - I'm going to have a prowl at lunchtime...

• Options
    Niall O'G wrote (see)
    Hi all this is my first posting and paris will be my first marathon. Have the training done I think ????????? just wondering if you guys have any last minute advice???

Also anyone else leaving Dublin first thing Saturday morning?

Was thinking of going straight from CDG to expo to get it done? Recommended??

Hi Niall, I'm going from Dublin on Satruday morning.  Aer Lingus flight at 10:30.  I'd planned to stop by the hotel but now I'm thinking it might be better to go straight to the expo and get it over with.

• Options
    This time next week we'll be in Paris.... Gorgeous morning here, perfect for

Fitting new work surfaces in my Mums kitchen
  • Options
    ATM wrote (see)

Not very well I'm afraid...   she has lots of psychological issues too and struggles with many things in her life...  I bought her a bike to help her get started and we are trying to help her diet and lose some weight...   I'm not giving up with her, but its a long-haul task and the time-frame will be significantly longer with her than other people.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've added ' Hearts on Fire' to my playlist. Thanks  Jimbob.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

A bike's a great idea , DV,and the bike may well come before the desire to make changes. * I bought one simply because a guy opened up a bike shop in the village.It had really never occurred to me, before...and it was Step 1 off the couch. *I hope she has fun with it...just fun.Her fitness might improve stealthily.

Good man, Dave, Crosstraining  at its best.

• Options

Iain yes I definitely plan to hit the Irish bars on Sunday night!!!! Any recommendations

• Options

NeadG I'm on the 06:50 flight out from Dublin on sat morning with Aer Lingus. Early start to the day! so I'm going to go straight to the expo so i can get it done then relax as much as possible

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    ATM wrote (see)

Not very well I'm afraid...   she has lots of psychological issues too and struggles with many things in her life...  I bought her a bike to help her get started and we are trying to help her diet and lose some weight...   I'm not giving up with her, but its a long-haul task and the time-frame will be significantly longer with her than other people.

Is she committed to it still or is it an uphill struggle just to get her work out clothes on? 

• Options

GOT 'EM!

ATM - yes Hearts on fire seems to give me an adrenalin rush. And strangly i have added A-ha Take on Me to the playlist. It's the little twinkly little keyboard bits and the steady up-tempo electric drum. Plus it stirs a happy memory of sometime in the 80s when i was a kid living with my Mum. I've got 5 tunes from the rocky4 soundtrack including Eye of the Tiger. Bit of Journey - fudge me it's so damn cheesy - would never listen to it normally.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Did anyone else just get an email with their Convocation?

• Options

imageWell on my run with Reg & Basil yesterday on the cliff paths a lovely gentle 5 miler - when I got an attack of nostalgia - "Barbara Strisend ... whoo whoo whooa ..." on repeat for the the last 2 miles - will always remind me of the start of Paris.image

Really can't believe this time next week you;ll all in heading to gaye Paree with hopes in your runners and dreams of glory ...... which you'll all achieveimage

My run tomorrow is looming and legs are actually feeling much better - coudl have gone out this morning but am settling for dog walk .. oh and the sun has made an appearance - happy days...

• Options

Am having a major dilemma... having decided I wasn't going to run next weekend - training in the snowy mountains was not as easy as I imagined!  Did the paris semi a couple of weeks ago which, despite very little training, went well, I am now having second thoughts.  General fitness level is probably the best it has been in a long time but I simply don't have the miles on my legs.. determination and stubbornness?.. heaps of that.  Am I completely mad to be considering it at this late stage?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yes, Emmy! hehe We heard it here, first..

See you under the Arc, Suzy . image

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Did anyone else just get an email with their Convocation?

I did.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Forget M&S - make some of Paul Hollywood's Hot X Buns with apple in them - they're absolutely scrummy.

I'd agree with that.  Just sounds a bit wrong to me, chocolate hot cross buns.  Mind you I think there are very few baked goods that can't be improved by the addition of dried fruit but very few that can with bits of chocolate.

I got the Paul Hollywood 100 Breads book but have only done soda bread so far.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Suzy - Half marathon fitness is a different beast to marathon fitness. I learned that one the hard way in Berlin after picking up a calf injury during my training schedule. If you run you need to remember to pace yourself and save something for those final miles. I made the mistake of thinking running a good half a few weeks before was a return to form and went off looking for a time and I really suffered in the second half of that race. I'm sure you can get around, just be a bit more reserved in pacing.

Emmy - Aye, got that this morning.

• Options
    We made Paul Hollywoods. Rye Ale and oat bread at the weekend, very very scrummy
  • Options

TD - judging by the book of Face, I'm not sure you got my reply about Paris.  I think maybe forum messaging is playing up?

But...no fixed plans yet for the saturday.  Might do the breakfast run, might not; might stay near the hotel/parks all day; may head out somewhere on the train.  As Arthur Daley might well have said 'The world is my lobster'.

On the Sunday I won't be running so happy to fit in with spectating and leering at sweaty lycra clad lovelies.  Possibly a poke after.

• Options

Bread is one of my (many) weaknesses Dave - make me reluctant to make much.  If I do I have a tendency to eat the lot in an hour or two and subsequently suffer with bloating and headaches image